PDA

View Full Version : Bulls' Joakim Noah to sign extension

Ashy Larry
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Joakim Noah (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3224) has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Chicago Bulls (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=chi).

The deal is worth $60 million plus additional bonuses, Dan Fegan, one of Noah's agents, told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

"We're very happy for Joakim because Chicago was always his first choice," Fegan said.

ESPNChicago.com reported in August that Noah and the Bulls have been working on a deal for a while. The 25-year-old center repeatedly stated that he wanted to stay in Chicago. Team executives privately expressed the same feelings, despite rumors swirling that Noah would be a centerpiece in a potential deal for Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den) forward Carmelo Anthony (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1975).

"Joakim is such an integral member of our team, and we are very pleased to have reached an agreement with him," Chicago Bulls general manager Gar Forman said in a statement. "His presence, both on and off of the court, is immeasurable and we look forward to him to continue to improve and develop his game."

Noah came into his own last season, averaging 10.7 points and 11 rebounds per game in his third year. The Bulls expect him to become an All-Star this season and are convinced that he is fully recovered from the plantar fasciitis that plagued him throughout most of 2009-10.

The news of Noah's extension comes on the same day the Bulls announced Carlos Boozer (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1703) would be out for eight weeks and would need surgery after breaking a bone in his right hand. With Boozer out, Noah will be asked to provide more offense in the post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5646081

JamStone
10-04-2010, 02:01 PM
$12 million a year is a lot of cake. Probably worth closer to $9-10 million a year, but in today's NBA, the going rate for merely "good" bigs is pretty steep. I like Noah's game. If he can take another step in development and be closer to a 15 PPG and 13 RPG, improved from 11 PPG and 11 RPG, he could prove to be worth the contract.

Still pretty silly money for what is essentially a very good role player.

Ashy Larry
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
just don't think dude is worth that much even though he has really improved.....

JamStone
10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
He isn't worth $12 million a year. But with the state of the NBA and big men, I don't think it's an outrageous contract. Haywood just got about $9 million a year from the Mavs. Chandler is on a contract that paid him about $10 million a year. Biedrins got $9 million a year from Golden State. You can argue Noah is more valuable than any of those guys. Like I mentioned, he's probably worth closer to $10 million a year. But, perhaps the Bulls view it as a good faith contract that Noah continues to improve and develop. He did average 15 PPG and 13 RPG in the playoffs. He'll start playing closer to 35 MPG and he'll put up similar numbers to that. He could certainly be worth his contract. It just shows how badly the NBA is devoid of quality big men.

Ashy Larry
10-04-2010, 05:51 PM
He isn't worth $12 million a year. But with the state of the NBA and big men, I don't think it's an outrageous contract. Haywood just got about $9 million a year from the Mavs. Chandler is on a contract that paid him about $10 million a year. Biedrins got $9 million a year from Golden State. You can argue Noah is more valuable than any of those guys. Like I mentioned, he's probably worth closer to $10 million a year. But, perhaps the Bulls view it as a good faith contract that Noah continues to improve and develop. He did average 15 PPG and 13 RPG in the playoffs. He'll start playing closer to 35 MPG and he'll put up similar numbers to that. He could certainly be worth his contract. It just shows how badly the NBA is devoid of quality big men.

With the number those guys put up, it's a freakin' travesty they get those big money contracts. 6 points and 6.5 rebounds can get you at least 5 million. Look at Luke Walton :depressed

DPG21920
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM
It's not really fair to look at stats with these guys. Winning teams need these semi-skilled (although defense and rebounding are skills) guys and if you want guys to do the dirty work and not be about me, you have to pay them properly.

Brazil
10-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think it's an outrageous amount, as already said when you look at other big men recent contracts, it's a correct amount. He is young can develop and he is performing well during POs and I think he is bringing some leadership to this bulls team.

sefant77
10-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Haywood will average 8.3 million.

Noah got the normal little bit oversized bigmen contract. For sure he is 10 million a year worthy (5/10) and the 10 million more are the bigmen bonus (and age, playoff performance etc).

I prefer to pay him 12 than guys like Ben Gordon 10-12...

Jelloisjigglin
10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow, this makes Bynum look like a steal for us lol

DPG21920
10-04-2010, 07:03 PM

How so?

JamStone
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Haywood will average 8.3 million.

Noah got the normal little bit oversized bigmen contract. For sure he is 10 million a year worthy (5/10) and the 10 million more are the bigmen bonus (and age, playoff performance etc).

I prefer to pay him 12 than guys like Ben Gordon 10-12...

As I said "about" $9 million. He can make up to $55 million over 6 years. Not sure why you felt the need to make a correction.

And not sure why you even mention Ben Gordon when we're talking about the value of NBA big men contracts.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
10-04-2010, 07:10 PM
I like the move simply for the fact it shows the Bulls want to compete again for a title. They had arguably the 3rd best team in the league in the early 70's but couldn't get past the Lakers or the Bucks in the west. Once the latter two faded, Golden State was too much in the 1975 WCF. Utah coach Jerry Sloan was on that team. Bob Love was their best player. MJ got them jump started in the 80's and the Bulls ruled the 90's. They are a player or two away from a legit shot at a title.

sefant77
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
As I said "about" $9 million. He can make up to $55 million over 6 years. Not sure why you felt the need to make a correction.

Because his contract is more near "about 8" than "about 9".

And he can make up to 55 million? He will get exactly 41.745 million. If you think he can "really" get the 55 million then i guess you believe on Santa too.

And not sure why you even mention Ben Gordon when we're talking about the value of NBA big men contracts.

Because of all the people telling "overpaid" etc. I change Noah for dozends of other contracts in the league.

sefant77
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM

Nice try. If i count the salary and number of games played Noah will be probably the longterm steal

JamStone
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Wth??

You have "about 8" inches of figurative internet dildo in your hurt butt.

sefant77
10-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Wth??

You have "about 8" inches of figurative internet dildo in your hurt butt.

And you pull a Trollinger throwing that 55 million number around just to make the contract look bad.