PDA

View Full Version : After a remarkable run, will Allen and McMillan return?

ducks
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
After a remarkable run, will Allen and McMillan return?
By TIM KORTE, AP Sports Writer
May 20, 2005

SEATTLE (AP) -- Ray Allen choked back tears in the interview room, getting misty as he described how much he enjoyed his Seattle teammates and coaches this season.

``I've never felt a stronger, tighter bond than I've felt for this group of guys this year,'' he said.

What a year it was. The SuperSonics exceeded expectations by winning 52 games and the Northwest Division title.

ADVERTISEMENT
After Seattle's 98-96 loss to San Antonio on Thursday night that eliminated the Sonics from the Western Conference semifinals in six games, the five-time All-Star was sentimental.

``We took it deep into the playoffs,'' Allen said. ``We played great basketball, no doubt about that. We beat some good teams and had a lot of fun. The difference with this team? We really liked each other.''

Nobody knows what's next.

Allen is one of nine free agents and one of the NBA's premier players on the market this summer. Even if Seattle brings him back, things are likely to be different next fall.

After Allen earned about $14 million this season, Seattle could have given him a maximum $97 million, five-year extension.

It's believed the Sonics proposed a deal worth more than the five-year, $65 million contract that Steve Nash signed with Phoenix last summer before his MVP season.

Unfortunately for Allen and the Sonics, negotiations during the regular season didn't work out, and both sides agreed to try again after the playoffs.

Asked if he'll return, Allen really couldn't say.

``That's been my goal the whole time,'' he said. ``It's tough to think about now. People ask me, 'Could this possibly be my last game in the building?' I don't know.

``I know basketball for me is over for a couple of months. I just plan on being in uniform,'' he added.

Antonio Daniels, meanwhile, holds an option, while Jerome James and Reggie Evans can shop for offers after each blossomed into promising post players.

Vladimir Radmanovic is a restricted free agent, so the Sonics could match competing bids. The other free agents are Ronald ``Flip'' Murray, Vitaly Potapenko, Damien Wilkins and Mateen Cleaves.

``This is a business, so who knows if this team will be back together again next year the way it was,'' Daniels said. ``But the guys left it on the floor. That's all you can ask.''

And let's not forget those two big free agents from the management side: coach Nate McMillan and general manager Rick Sund. Both went into this season without extensions.

LeBron James has already targeted McMillan as the coach he'd most like to see in Cleveland, and the former Seattle point guard known as ``Mr. Sonic'' -- his No. 10 hangs from the KeyArena rafters -- no doubt raised his currency with a remarkable, overachieving season.

Not that it was his primary focus.

``It wasn't really about winning or losing for me this season,'' McMillan said. ``That may sound crazy being in a contract year, but it was all about how these guys played, how hard they worked and the commitment to playing together.''

Nobody expected the Sonics to do much. Questions at training camp focused on whether Seattle would improve on a 37-win season, not whether they'd be among the NBA's top squads.

Then Rashard Lewis made his first trip to the All-Star game, though he missed a stretch late in the regular season with a foot injury and the last three playoff games with a bruised toe.

Team owner Howard Schultz made good on a pledge in the fourth year of his five-year plan. The Starbucks chairman had vowed when he took over the Sonics in 2001 to make them an elite team.

Ultimately, the Sonics were one of the final eight teams in the postseason. Not bad, considering the marquee acquisition was foul-prone, muscle-man Danny Fortson.

``A lot of good things happened this year,'' Fortson said. ``This is just terrible. I honestly thought we would go all the way.''

They didn't, but not even San Antonio's celebration after the final horn could dampen what Allen felt when he gathered his colleagues at midcourt for one final huddle.

``I told them I appreciated everything,'' Allen said. ``We had a great time. It was over, but everyone should hold their head high.''

ducks
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
rember little james wants McMillan

atlfan25
05-20-2005, 07:24 PM
hmm, is james racist?

SilverPlayer
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
McMillan is a pretty decent coach and got his players to overachieve all year. Maybe he just respects a good coach.

/where'd the racist thing come from?

atlfan25
05-20-2005, 07:34 PM
james wanted silas and now mcmillan, perhaps he doesn't wanna play for a white coach. it might represent "the man" to him.

Chris
05-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Allen will go wherever the money is. He proved that to Buck's fans a couple of years ago. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/image/2001/play/2ray0603.jpg

DannyF
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
He was traded for Gary Payton, he did not leave on his own.

timvp
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM
james wanted silas and now mcmillan, perhaps he doesn't wanna play for a white coach. it might represent "the man" to him.

LeBron's first choice for coach was Larry Brown.

E20
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
:lol

atlfan25
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
hmmm, it was only a theory :fro

PM5K
05-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Who gives a shit?

NBA Forum, or Who Gives A Shit Forum