PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Nuggets...check it out...

CosmicCowboy
10-04-2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/chicken-nuggets-are-made-of-this-pink-goop-2010-10

yuuuuuuuuumy!

SourCandy
10-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh everything is fake. I like fake nuggets :D

Stringer_Bell
10-04-2010, 11:33 PM
It looks like soft-serve strawberry ice cream aka deliciousness.

4>0rings
10-05-2010, 12:23 AM
This was before they went 'white meat'. I had never had a McNuggest my entire life, seriously until I was about 23-24. I bought the meal and ate it just cause my coworker would eat them all the time. I felt tired, shitty, lethargic and actually threw up afterwards. Never again.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Still gonna eat my McNuggets lol. Good shit.

IronMexican
10-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Cue the 15 page thread by spurfan arguing how all these fast food places are better, etc..

The Reckoning
10-05-2010, 02:14 AM
you should see the finished product after its processed (by me)

boutons_deux
10-05-2010, 05:56 AM
"Would You Like Ammonia-Laced Pink Slime with That Burger?"

http://scienceblogs.com/mikethemadbiologist/2010/01/would_you_like_ammonia-laced_p.php

mrsmaalox
10-05-2010, 09:07 AM
That looks like the same stuff they make pink rubber erasers from. I've probably eaten more erasers than chicken nuggets in my lifetime.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
This was before they went 'white meat'. I had never had a McNuggest my entire life, seriously until I was about 23-24. I bought the meal and ate it just cause my coworker would eat them all the time. I felt tired, shitty, lethargic and actually threw up afterwards. Never again.

Have you seen the Married With Children episode with Jim Jupiter? That'll explain what happened to you. :)

HEB makes a new nugget that has a whole grain breading. I accidentally bought it one time, and it was actually really good, especially for a store brand food.

Blake
10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/chicken-nuggets-are-made-of-this-pink-goop-2010-10

yuuuuuuuuumy!

BI Editor's Note: According to this site, the whole chicken carcass is not ground into this pink goop--just the meat-like stuff (tendons, etc.) And they don't generally use ammonia, though it occasionally leaks into the mix.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chicken-nuggets-are-made-of-this-pink-goop-2010-10#ixzz11VB8SYmw

Blake
10-05-2010, 11:20 AM
damn, there are a lot of ingredients in a chicken mcnugget:

White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent. (May be different in regions other than the United States).

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
All that is in one nugget?!?!?!

SpursWoman
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
All that is in one nugget?!?!?!

Seriously. You'd think reading all of that somehow they'd be bigger. :lol

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Seriously. You'd think reading all of that somehow they'd be bigger. :lol

No shit.

Cock-n-balls
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Anti-foaming agent?!?!?!
Chicken shouldn't foam

CubanMustGo
10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Anti-foaming agent?!?!?!
Chicken shouldn't foam

It's so you don't foam after eating that crap

Drachen
10-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Have you seen the Married With Children episode with Jim Jupiter? That'll explain what happened to you. :)

HEB makes a new nugget that has a whole grain breading. I accidentally bought it one time, and it was actually really good, especially for a store brand food.

HEB has pretty darn good store brand food, not quite kirkland signature, but definitely better than all of the other store brands available in San Antonio.

Another surprise you might want to try, whole wheat tortillas. I have started to make sustainable changes in my diet (i.e. not going too far for fear that I will just quit). I LOOOOOVE flour tortillas and I really didn't want to buy them, but thought I should at least try. These are much better than flour tortillas. I wouldnt change back to regular white flour tortillas again. Freakin great!

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
HEB has pretty darn good store brand food, not quite kirkland signature, but definitely better than all of the other store brands available in San Antonio.

Another surprise you might want to try, whole wheat tortillas. I have started to make sustainable changes in my diet (i.e. not going too far for fear that I will just quit). I LOOOOOVE flour tortillas and I really didn't want to buy them, but thought I should at least try. These are much better than flour tortillas. I wouldnt change back to regular white flour tortillas again. Freakin great!

I'll give that a try. I've done the same. I wasn't sure how my kids would take to wheat (I used to hate it) so I started buying whole grain white. But turns out my kids do love wheat bread so I'm moving on to that.

Also, I stopped breading anything I fry and if I do fry, I do it in olive oil. I'm drinking more tea as a step down from drinking soda. And so on and so forth. So any other suggestion to help me make steady progress towards healthy eating is a welcome one.

Although I do enjoy the occasional bad food, such as a chicken nugget.

Drachen
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I'll give that a try. I've done the same. I wasn't sure how my kids would take to wheat (I used to hate it) so I started buying whole grain white. But turns out my kids do love wheat bread so I'm moving on to that.

Also, I stopped breading anything I fry and if I do fry, I do it in olive oil. I'm drinking more tea as a step down from drinking soda. And so on and so forth. So any other suggestion to help me make steady progress towards healthy eating is a welcome one.

Although I do enjoy the occasional bad food, such as a chicken nugget.

Whole wheat pasta. Takes a little longer to boil, but other than the spaghetti it tastes pretty damn good (and the spaghetti isn't bad, just not good).

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Whole wheat pasta. Takes a little longer to boil, but other than the spaghetti it tastes pretty damn good (and the spaghetti isn't bad, just not good).

Yeah, I've tried it. Problem with eating healthy is that it's not always budget friendly to say the least.

When I cook ground beef, I also go for the 9o/10 sirloin or higher. Again, a little costly, but the grease isn't as bad.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
And when I eat chicken, always boneless, skinless chicken breast. You have to be careful because it can dry out very easily.

PM5K
10-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I also go for the 90/10 sirloin or higher. Again, a little costly, but the grease isn't as bad.

Tried it once, the texture isn't the same.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Tried it once, the texture isn't the same.

Yeah, and while sirloin steak is good, when it comes to ground meat, the grease gives off most of the flavor.

As for texture, get the stuff that's packaged in the store, not the prepackaged stuff. It's the same meat, but the grinding process in the store (and yes they do grind it in store) gives it a different texture. I think it's the way it's compacted into chubs (that's what they're called) that changes the texture.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I get the 95/5 GB or 90/10 too. Luckily the farmers markets around here also have grass fed beef that you can buy by the pound.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I get the 95/5 GB or 90/10 too. Luckily the farmers markets around here also have grass fed beef that you can buy by the pound.

Anyone ever had bison? It's got a very distinct taste that's pretty damn good. HEB also sales the organic angus beef, but in the 85/15 variety.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 05:48 PM
organic beef isn't necessarily grass fed, though. There's a lot of different shit that goes into labeling.

I've had bison many ways, love it. We can get that at our FM too. I've also had elk and its gamier but really good as well. Those meats have really distinct flavor that you don't get in a lot of beef.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
organic beef isn't necessarily grass fed, though. There's a lot of different shit that goes into labeling.

I've had bison many ways, love it. We can get that at our FM too. I've also had elk and its gamier but really good as well. Those meats have really distinct flavor that you don't get in a lot of beef.

I don't care about the grass fed part really. Fact is, HEB doesn't put all the additives in the beef after the fact like Walmart and some such. That's all that matters.

boutons_deux
10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
"I don't care about the grass fed part really"

The organic grass-fed part is the most important for health. grass-feed beef is actually healthful, with a more Omega3 that omega-6, -9.

cows evolved eating fresh, low-carb leaves (grasses), not seeds (corn, soy, etc). Feeding cows anything but grasses is a perversion.

Non-grass high-carb feed, along with anti-biotics and growth hormones, is used to fatten them up fastest with the smallest inputs. They don't know why, but anti-biotics makes the feed more bio-available, less waste. The carbs screw up the cows digestion, making it too acidic, which promote of the poisonous strain O157:H7 of E-coli.

Nathan Explosion
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
"I don't care about the grass fed part really"

The organic grass-fed part is the most important for health. grass-feed beef is actually healthful, with a more Omega3 that omega-6, -9.

cows evolved eating fresh, low-carb leaves (grasses), not seeds (corn, soy, etc). Feeding cows anything but grasses is a perversion.

Non-grass high-carb feed, along with anti-biotics and growth hormones, is used to fatten them up fastest with the smallest inputs. They don't know why, but anti-biotics makes the feed more bio-available, less waste. The carbs screw up the cows digestion, making it too acidic, which promote of the poisonous strain O157:H7 of E-coli.

Yeah. However, there is also something to be said for being too sanitized. I understand trying to get healthy, but at the same time, there is a natural order of things that we seem to be trying to get around.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
:lol The Natural order of things where cows are injected with hormones and fed the remains of other cows?

Grassfed organic beef is far better in quality in every single way to beef that isn't grassfed.

There's a reason why most good steakhouses only use grassfed beef.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 06:16 PM
And wtf does "too sanitized" mean? You mean like dipping your chicken in amonia?

leemajors
10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I rarely eat beef, I am lucky enough to have a deep freeze filled throughout the year with ground venison, venison steaks, venison/pork ground breakfast sausage, venison/pork sausage links, and venison stew meat. The difference in ground venison and beef is ridiculous - making patties with your hands hardly gets them greasy, and you have to add fat - whether it be bacon grease, olive oil, or whatever else to get it to stick together. Country Slaughterhouse outside of Victoria is the only place my family has had their processing done for the last 25 years, and they are by far the best thing about or near Victoria. That being said, isn't "organic grass fed" something you really can't be sure of unless you know where your butcher is getting their meat specifically?

Blake
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
anyone put ketchup on their nuggets?

tlongII
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM
LOL grassfed beef. Corn fed is much tastier. The perceived difference in the health benefits of grassfed are grossly overstated as well.

Slydragon
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
push them sales Nathan Explosion, I'm recommend you for the HEB spirit award

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I rarely eat beef, I am lucky enough to have a deep freeze filled throughout the year with ground venison, venison steaks, venison/pork ground breakfast sausage, venison/pork sausage links, and venison stew meat. The difference in ground venison and beef is ridiculous - making patties with your hands hardly gets them greasy, and you have to add fat - whether it be bacon grease, olive oil, or whatever else to get it to stick together. Country Slaughterhouse outside of Victoria is the only place my family has had their processing done for the last 25 years, and they are by far the best thing about or near Victoria. That being said, isn't "organic grass fed" something you really can't be sure of unless you know where your butcher is getting their meat specifically?

Theres been a lot of clamping down on the labeling of items so if its says grass-fed organic you should be able to with reasonable certainty that it is so.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 08:50 PM
LOL grassfed beef. Corn fed is much tastier. The perceived difference in the health benefits of grassfed are grossly overstated as well.

What do you base the 2nd part of your statement on?

Drachen
10-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Theres been a lot of clamping down on the labeling of items so if its says grass-fed organic you should be able to with reasonable certainty that it is so.

There is what basically amounts to a farmers market delivery service here that works with a bunch of local farmers and ranchers to deliver beef, veggies, etc to your door with a weekly (or biweekly) service. It all comes from local places, only what is in season, etc. Oh and you are allowed to and encouraged to take a drive out to the farms where your food is being grown, raised, etc. to make sure you agree with their practices (the farmers have to agree to be organic in the growing of the fruits and veggies, humane in the raising of chickens and cows and to feed their animals normal stuff (grass, chickenfeed, etc))

MannyIsGod
10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Is it a CSA?

Drachen
10-05-2010, 09:18 PM
yes

tlongII
10-05-2010, 09:29 PM
What do you base the 2nd part of your statement on?

FACTS bitch!

tlongII
10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry to call you a bitch.

tlongII
10-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

leemajors
10-06-2010, 08:00 AM

I didn't know if those new strictures went into effect yet.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I raise grass fed beef for personal consumption and IMHO there is a HUGE difference in how it tastes vs. feedlot beef. It has a much richer, "meatier" flavor...

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I raise grass fed beef for personal consumption and IMHO there is a HUGE difference in how it tastes vs. feedlot beef. It has a much richer, "meatier" flavor...

Yup. Its more expensive at stores but if you can get it straight from a farm through a market or a CSA like Drachen pointed out above its actually not bad.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I didn't know if those new strictures went into effect yet.

I thought they had but maybe not.

leemajors
10-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I thought they had but maybe not.

Took effect in June:

Producers seeking organic certification must prove that their ruminant animals, like cows, spend at least 120 days per year, or the duration of the grass-growing season, grazing on pasture. Moreover, grass must account for at least 30 percent of their food. Producers that were already certified organic before the rules’ release in February have an additional year to comply.

I guess you can slap grass fed organic on it if they eat it 1/3 of the year.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Yup. Its more expensive at stores but if you can get it straight from a farm through a market or a CSA like Drachen pointed out above its actually not bad.

For those interested the name of the CSA is "Greenling." Every once in a while they will also work with a local Vineyard or a brewery to also offer wine and beer. It is really a great program and ridiculously convenient.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Took effect in June:

I guess you can slap grass fed organic on it if they eat it 1/3 of the year.

I guess it depends on the average growing season in ranching country. Places in Montana or Wyoming, for instance, aren't going to be able to graze more than that.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
For those interested the name of the CSA is "Greenling." Every once in a while they will also work with a local Vineyard or a brewery to also offer wine and beer. It is really a great program and ridiculously convenient.

Pretty bad ass they deliver to your door. We had to go pick ours up.

Melmart1
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM

I order from them about twice a month. They are awesome! I had no idea mangoes grew in Texas! It's pricier than the grocery store but everything is so tasty and fresh that I end up eating less meat, so it balances out $ wise.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Pretty bad ass they deliver to your door. We had to go pick ours up.

I'm telling you, this service is phenomenal, the food is great.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I order from them about twice a month. They are awesome! I had no idea mangoes grew in Texas! It's pricier than the grocery store but everything is so tasty and fresh that I end up eating less meat, so it balances out $ wise.

My grandfather in the valley has Mango and Papaya trees. I think he has a Lemon, Grapefruit, and Chinese Plum as well.

Go figure, former migrant farmer who likes to grow fruits.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Thing is . . . they are not much more expensive. Also if you want there is a farmers market in the gradys parking lot on bandera like 3 times a month, and of course the pearl brewery farmers market every saturday I think.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Honestly its probably more because you get home delivery but you probably also get much better products. Go buy the same level of stuff at Central Market or Whole Foods and it is probably still cheaper.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Man, the farmers markets I went to in SA sucked compared to the one in Santa Fe. The one here is freaking AMAZING. We've gotten everything from mushrooms to sweet breads (the meat).

Melmart1
10-06-2010, 10:25 AM
My grandfather in the valley has Mango and Papaya trees. I think he has a Lemon, Grapefruit, and Chinese Plum as well.

Go figure, former migrant farmer who likes to grow fruits.

That's awesome! We used to have a chinese plum tree in our backyard, it was like Christmas when the fruit was ready to eat.

Oh, and there was a show on this summer called Food Revolution where chef Jamie Oliver went to WV and tried to change the way the schools served lunches there. He showed how chicken nuggets were made and the kids grossed out. Then, when he asked them if they would still eat it, they all raised their hands. Couldn't find it on Hulu, but here is the YouTube:

HJey_C6GL0k

Melmart1
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Honestly its probably more because you get home delivery but you probably also get much better products. Go buy the same level of stuff at Central Market or Whole Foods and it is probably still cheaper.

Not a huge fan of Whole Foods, and going to Central Market is dangerous because I end up spending twice what I planned. :lol Greenling is more convenient and safer for my wallet.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Oh well I was saying its probably cheaper than those 2 places. Man I love Whole Foods. Its just more expensive.

I want a CSA that delivers. That sounds amazing.

Melmart1
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh well I was saying its probably cheaper than those 2 places. Man I love Whole Foods. Its just more expensive.

I want a CSA that delivers. That sounds amazing.

Ah, I just re-read it. Yeah, I misunderstood the first time. I am hyper today and can't focus. It's like temporary ADD or something.

I like Whole Foods for some of their dry goods like the pastas. But for produce, I was never very impressed. Same goes for Sun Harvest, although they do have amazing sales on their steaks once in awhile.

If anyone cares, there is a great place on NW Military called the HEB Alon Market. It's a little like Central Market and a regular HEB in one. It's pretty awesome, lots of organic and natural goodies to choose from along with regular stuff. And don't get me started on the beer/wine section ... :toast

Drachen
10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah the Alon HEB is great. I don't really know what they don't have that the Central Market has.

CuckingFunt
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I like Whole Foods for some of their dry goods like the pastas. But for produce, I was never very impressed.

Same here. Whole Foods is by far the best option I've found for produce since moving to New Orleans (need to find out if/when/where there are farmer's markets here), but it's not as good a selection as I want it to be. And doesn't feel good/fresh enough for the prices they charge. I probably wouldn't bother if it weren't for NOLA's horrible grocery store options.

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Same here. Whole Foods is by far the best option I've found for produce since moving to New Orleans (need to find out if/when/where there are farmer's markets here), but it's not as good a selection as I want it to be. And doesn't feel good/fresh enough for the prices they charge. I probably wouldn't bother if it weren't for NOLA's horrible grocery store options.

A Cajun farmers market? Be afraid. Be very afraid. :lol

CuckingFunt
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
A Cajun farmers market? Be afraid. Be very afraid. :lol

A joke, of course, but I must say honestly that a farmer's market in New Orleans, a city associated with insanely good food and a huge restaurant culture, probably rocks hardcore.

boutons_deux
10-08-2010, 03:30 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-robbins/how-bad-is-mcdonalds-food_b_754814.html?view=print