PDA

View Full Version : The teams future in SA

runback22
10-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I've been wondering for a few years now what will happen to this team once the losses start exceeding the wins. I dont know how profitable the team was during the championship runs, or even now, but I cant imagine there being a ton of profit with a small market losing team.

Can San Antonio support a losing team? How long do you think it will be before the team becomes a contender again? I do love our ownership and I have faith they will do all they can to make us a winner again.

I just hope attendance doesnt get so bad that this team must relocate. I remember those old days in the arena........

FalleNxWiZarDx
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
true spurs fans will always be there....

these bandwagon fans are lame

runback22
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
true spurs fans will always be there....

these bandwagon fans are lame

Unfortunately, i would say roughly half, maybe more, of the fans that fill up the AT&T center are bandwagonners.....

lefty
10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, i would say roughly half, maybe more, of the fans that fill up the AT&T center are bandwagonners.....
San Antonio Lakers fans ?

bus driver
10-05-2010, 10:56 AM
the only difference for me will be that i will be able to attend more games and sit closer to the court while i drink my beer and cheer on the Spurs!

and if losing is the trend that I can heckle the other team
:flag:

Solid D
10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
That is difficult to predict. So many variables. The Spurs have only known 6 losing-record seasons since the Chaps moved to SA in 1973-74. They have only missed the playoffs 4 of the 37 years.

slick'81
10-05-2010, 10:58 AM
agreed the team overall has had alot of success from gervin to dave to timmy if spurs dont strike gold again it could begin the start of nice long drought.Whos to say the city will keep coming to att and support a losing franchise??I know i would but as it is the team struggles to fill that arena nightly

Solid D
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
agreed the team overall has had alot of success from gervin to dave to timmy if spurs dont strike gold again it could begin the start of nice long drought.Whos to say the city will keep coming to att and support a losing franchise??I know i would but as it is the team struggles to fill that arena nightly

I think most teams have to "effort" filling their arenas. The Spurs are currently doing a decent job of it, averaging 18,089 (97.4% of capacity) and ranking 10th in both numbers and percentage.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2010

xellos88330
10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

elbamba
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
The Spurs already have the foundation to have a pretty good team after Duncan, Manu and Tony. They won't be championship contenders but I don't think they will be sub .500team either.

Plus, San Antonio is not that small of a market. It is bigger than most of the NBA cities.

Solid D
10-05-2010, 11:53 AM
The Spurs already have the foundation to have a pretty good team after Duncan, Manu and Tony. They won't be championship contenders but I don't think they will be sub .500team either.

Plus, San Antonio is not that small of a market. It is bigger than most of the NBA cities.

http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/csa2005.htm

Largest Metropolitan Areas
The 30 Largest Metropolitan Areas in the United States

Jul 22 2009
The U.S. Census Bureau recently released population estimates for Combined Statistical Areas (formerly known as Metropolitan Statistical Areas), Metropolitan Areas (stand-alone or components of CSAs), and Micropolitan Areas.

Most will likely be interested in the total populations for the thirty largest metropolitan areas, those urban and suburban areas containing populations above 1.9 million. The largest metropolitan areas remain 1) New York, 2) Los Angeles, 3) Chicago, 4) Washington D.C., and 5) Boston. Without further ado, here's the list, from New York City to San Antonio, of the thirty largest metropolitan areas in the United States (based on mid-year 2006 population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau)...

1) New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA - 21,976,224
2) Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA - 17,775,984
3) Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI - 9,725,317
4) Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV - 8,211,213
5) Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH - 7,465,634
6) San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA - 7,228,948
7) Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 6,382,714
8) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX - 6,359,758
9) Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX - 5,641,077
10) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL - 5,478,667
11) Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL - 5,463,857
12) Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI - 5,410,014
13) Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 4,039,182
14) Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA - 3,876,211
15) Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI - 3,502,891
16) Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO - 2,927,911
17) San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 2,941,454
18) Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH - 2,917,801
19) St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL - 2,858,549
20) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 2,697,731
21) Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA - 2,462,571
22) Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Truckee, CA-NV - 2,211,790
23) Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC - 2,191,604
24) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA - 2,137,565
25) Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN - 2,147,617
26) Orlando-The Villages, FL - 2,053,623
27) Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS - 2,034,796
28) Indianapolis-Anderson-Columbus, IN - 1,984,644
29) Columbus-Marion-Chillicothe, OH - 1,953,575
30) San Antonio, TX - 1,942,217

clambake
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM
the seattle spurs has a ring to it.

CubanMustGo
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah, but what about San Antonio-Seguin-Bastrop-Austin-Georgetown-San Marcos-New Braunfels-Johnson City-Fredericksburg-Kerrville-Castroville-Pleasanton, TX?

Solid D
10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
:lol...yeah. It seems like a high percentage of Austin thinks they are a Mavericks city even though the Toros are there.

ohmwrecker
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
:lol...yeah. Austin thinks they are a Mavericks city even though the Toros are there.

Actually, there is a good mix of Spurs, Rockets and Mavs fans here.

Leonard Curse
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM

alot of the lower level seats are filled with rich bandwagoners id have to say most spur fans are die hard

Dex
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
:lol...yeah. It seems like a high percentage of Austin thinks they are a Mavericks city even though the Toros are there.

I'd venture to say the Spurs fans outnumber the Dallas fans here in Austin, but not by far.

ohmwrecker
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I'd venture to say the Spurs fans outnumber the Dallas fans here in Austin, but not by far.

Especially in South/East Austin.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM

That is quite wrong. Check this out (US cities ranked by TV market size)

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

San Antonio is larger than only OKC, Memphis, and New Orleans.

Many areas larger than SA have no NBA team:

Seattle
Tampa/St. Pete
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Raleigh/Durham
Baltimore
San Diego
Nashville
Hartford/New Haven
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Columbus
Greenville/Spartanburg

suitedkings
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
the seattle spurs has a ring to it.

I would go Bonkers if that happened!

jjktkk
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
San Antonio has always and will always support the Spurs. It makes really easy to support the Spurs since it is the only major pro team in town.

Xevious
10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Remember that before Dave, San Antonio was in danger of losing the Spurs. I think the ownership will try and continue to field a winning team. But if something happens and this team starts losing and missing the playoffs for consecutive years, San Antonio might not be able to support the team. One would hope that the fans would continue to show their love even during hard times. Unfortunately South Texas has more interest in football. A lot of people don't even take notice in what the Spurs are doing until after the Cowboy season is over and the NBA playoffs are approaching.

rogcl1
10-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Actually, this team as it is without Duncan Parker, and Manu is a consistent lottery bound team.

DisAsTerBot
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Especially in South/East Austin.

:toast

kskonn
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
alot of the lower level seats are filled with rich bandwagoners id have to say most spur fans are die hard

Actually a lot of the lower level seats are filled with corporations who buy the tickets no matter what, and long time season ticket holders. My family has had season tickets since 1980 and I have had tickets since 2004. the lower level seats are usually the bread and butter of the ticket sales year in and year out.

NRHector
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Jul 22 2009
The U.S. Census Bureau recently released population estimates for Combined Statistical Areas (formerly known as Metropolitan Statistical Areas), Metropolitan Areas (stand-alone or components of CSAs), and Micropolitan Areas.

Most will likely be interested in the total populations for the thirty largest metropolitan areas, those urban and suburban areas containing populations above 1.9 million. The largest metropolitan areas remain 1) New York, 2) Los Angeles, 3) Chicago, 4) Washington D.C., and 5) Boston. Without further ado, here's the list, from New York City to San Antonio, of the thirty largest metropolitan areas in the United States (based on mid-year 2006 population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau)...

1) New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA - 21,976,224
2) Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA - 17,775,984
3) Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI - 9,725,317
4) Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV - 8,211,213
5) Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH - 7,465,634
6) San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA - 7,228,948
7) Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 6,382,714
8) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX - 6,359,758
9) Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX - 5,641,077
10) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL - 5,478,667
11) Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL - 5,463,857
12) Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI - 5,410,014
13) Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 4,039,182
14) Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA - 3,876,211
15) Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI - 3,502,891
16) Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO - 2,927,911
17) San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 2,941,454
18) Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH - 2,917,801
19) St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL - 2,858,549
20) Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 2,697,731
21) Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA - 2,462,571
22) Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Truckee, CA-NV - 2,211,790
23) Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC - 2,191,604
24) Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA - 2,137,565
25) Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN - 2,147,617
26) Orlando-The Villages, FL - 2,053,623
27) Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS - 2,034,796
28) Indianapolis-Anderson-Columbus, IN - 1,984,644
29) Columbus-Marion-Chillicothe, OH - 1,953,575
30) San Antonio, TX - 1,942,217

wow!!!! about 5 years ago we were about 1,500,000. Damn Californians trying to take over San Antonio

GSH
10-05-2010, 05:27 PM
There is a reason why this team has been so good for so long. And as long as this ownership/management team stays relatively intact, there won't be any doomsday scenarios in San Antonio. The Spurs may go through 1-2 rebuilding years, but they will be back to being contenders. There are teams that are perennial doormats, no matter how many great draft picks they get. The Spurs are the exact opposite of that.

If the owner(s) decide to sell the team, they would make an effort to do so in a way that keeps the team here. I would be surprised if D-Rob didn't take a bigger stake, and a bigger role. And he would be able to attract an ownership team that would buy into the philosophy that has made the team what it is.

For such a small market, San Antonio gives amazing support to the team. And the Spurs management has done a good job of providing a product that the community can get excited about. The biggest threat I can see is if the league decides that a bigger market would increase revenues for the whole league, and manipulates a deal to move the team elsewhere. If that happens, there's nothing anyone could do, so why worry about it?

I saw a car the other morning with two Spurs flags flying out of the rear windows. Follow their lead. Get a bumper sticker, fly a flag. Go to some games and make sure the place is noisy. They'll make sure that there is a good team here to cheer for.

TwelveGs210
10-05-2010, 07:21 PM
The Spurs just signed a 25-30 year deal when we voted to build the then, SBC Center.

Buddy Holly
10-05-2010, 07:43 PM
The metro population for SA in July of 2009 was 2,072,000.

The population in July of 2010 was 2.12 million.

The figures posted before were incorrect.

Man In Black
10-05-2010, 10:18 PM
The deal with population statistics is that other than the actual census years, Think all zero years, the rest of the years are projections based on the previous Census. So, for 2009, it's a projection based on year 2000 Actuals. So the further you get out, the more complicated the math is to get the number.

Also, a DMA or Designated Media or Market Area is more an area defined by radio and TV boundaries. Metropolitan Statistical Area or MSA is defined by the US Census Bureau.

FilSpursFan
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Dont worry new superstars will be found and carry the torch...

Trill Clinton
10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
This team is here to STAY.

phyzik
10-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I like how people give shit to S.A. for being a "One trick poney" when it comes to sports, all we have is the Spurs as a major franchise, but then turn around and talk about how San anotonio cant support the Spurs if they end up being a losing team....

Fans are fickle, sure.... but dont be a douche and think S.A. is going to fail either way when it comes to their favorite team....

If it wasnt for that fuck-stick Jerry Jones, we would have had an NFL team by now, but you fucking retards support the Dallas Cowbitches thus enabling Douchebag Jones to throw his influence into not letting S.A. get an NFL team.

Fuck ALL of you S.A. Cowboy fans.... ALL OF YOU FUCKING SUCK!!! Until you wake up and stop supporting Cubans daddy, San Antonio will NEVER see an NFL team because of that coniving son of a bitch. He will NEVER allow it because of you douche bags that support that Laker-equivelant NFL team.

fucking bandwagoners, each and every single S.A. Dallas Cowfag fan... ALL OF YOU!!! It doesnt matter if you grew up with the Cowhomo's or what your excuse is.... If you where born in S.A. and support a Dallas team, your a bandwagon riding bitch... weather it be that they are winning or because your extended family supports them.... Bandwagon.

Spurs are here to stay though and thats the only team I will support until we get another professional team in S.A..... not because its my town, but because I cant stand people that follow another team simply because their family does, and they only follow it because its the closest team that has had some success in our state.

I cant stand the Texans either, but I hope they rape the Cowfuckers in every single matchup because I just cant STAND Jones and all of the little brothers of Laker fans that follow them.

And fuck you, ESPN the Zone, for jerking eachother off almost all year long about that fucking sorry ass team. Im specifically talking to you Chris and Jason.

That being said, Romo is my backup QB since Brady has a bye next week, this motherfucker better produce. Im riding a 4-0 record and I will be blaming him if I lose in week 5. :lol

I took Romo specifically because there are a bunch of homo Cowboy fans in my league and I wanted to piss them off, He's been benched the last 4 weeks this season... The only reason Im playing him is because a real QB, Brady, has a bye this week.

JWest596
10-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Since the merger the San Antonio Spurs have had the least number of lottery teams of all NBA teams.

This team has a long established record of making the playoffs; better than the Celtics or Lakers.

In fact it has the second or third highest winning percentage of all NBA team since the merger. We surpassed the Celtic and are neck and neck with them and Kobe Bryant has been a member of a lottery team he captained. Tim has never missed the playoffs..

ATT Center and its terms insured the Spurs being in SA a long time. The FO will see to that, we've had great owners nor is this town a bandwagon town like LA.

Being our only major sports team helps.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-06-2010, 02:44 AM
I hope Pop sticks around in the FO after retiring as a coach.

ChuckD
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't see the Spurs going the way of, or becoming the Seattle NBA team. Seattle f'd up by letting their arena go to shit AND allowing the lease to come up while the arena was shit. SA opened the 2002 season in their new arena, complete with a 25 year lease, and have already done one refurbishment with that bond issue, incurring an additional 5 year lease extension in the process.

buttsR4rebounding
10-06-2010, 07:57 AM
The Spurs signed a 25 year lease in 1999 at the AT&T Center. Then in 2008 when additional money was committed by the city for improvements to the ATT Center that lease was extended, I believe, for another 10 years. That would put the Spurs in the ATT Center until 2034. If you are still worried keep in mind that the Spurs got a real sweetheart deal on the ATT Center. They control and receive all revenue from the facility except during the Stockshow. They even get at least a part of the revenue from the naming rights that ATT pays. This is why the rampage are profitable and the Silver Stars are profitable. The Spurs don't have to pay for rent and are able to fill up more empty dates. They get revenue from all concerts that play there, etc. In addition, we learned last year that the Spurs ownership has never taken any profit distributions from the team so they have built up a significant war chest. I think it is fair to say any talk of the Spurs moving before 2034 is unwarranted. And who knows what type of revenue streams will be available by then.

TwelveGs210
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
First off..

I am a San Antonio born and raised Cowboys fan, and always will be no matter if we get a team..you cant "ride a bandwagon" if you never changed allegiances. Theres only 2 teams we could watch back in 89-90 and the years following, and it was the Oilers and Cowboys. When your a kid your going to like who ever is good, and who has the players you want to grow up to be just like..and that my friend phyzik, was the Cowboys. Not until the rise in popularity of Satellite TV were we able to follow other teams, so this is why there is so many Dallas fans here in SA..we don't have much choice. I'm all for a SA NFL team, so I can go root for the 'Boy's to destroy them whenever they meet up here in town.

As far as the stats on the population getting bigger.. I dont see the reason behind that stat..most of the increase in population is because the city has a remarkably steady job market here compared to other regions, huge corporations are constantly opening call centers here (most recently being Kohl's) and the housing market, although foreclosures are up more than 50% from last year, is not declining as in other cities. The point I'm getting at is most of these people moving to SA causing our population to grow are relocating for work, and most of them probably have their team already, and will continue to support whoever that team is, so not all these additions to our city are going to start following the Spurs when they get here..

jb4g
10-06-2010, 09:48 AM
The Spurs just signed a 25-30 year deal when we voted to build the then, SBC Center.

As long as the At&t center remains a viable facility the Spurs will stay put. 15 years from now when its time to build a new arena might be a different story though.

TwelveGs210
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
As long as the At&t center remains a viable facility the Spurs will stay put. 15 years from now when its time to build a new arena might be a different story though.

Do you honestly think the San Antonio public will vote against a new arena? Maybe if it was 10 years after the AT&T was built, but after 25 years of this arena it will be "obsolete" by that time compared to other facilities, and I think that would be warranted. Unless they put a bunch of money towards renovations as the years go..who knows though..at that time with the population growing and the possibilty of winning seasons, the AT&T center could possibly be too small..who knows.

xmas1997
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
The only thing that I can't stand are all the laker fans who live here. That is sick and wrong!
And I was a cowboy fan growing up, but the only NFL team to ever play a regular season game here are the San Antonio Saints, ...er N.O. Saints, and they played three. We would have had them here now if not for Jones and the NFL commissioner, so I'll never be a cowboys fan again. The Saints have been my my adopted NFL team since that time and will be until we get our own NFL team.
The Spurs will always be my team though, always were, always are, and always will be.

Solid D
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
The metro population for SA in July of 2009 was 2,072,000.

The population in July of 2010 was 2.12 million.

The figures posted before were incorrect.

Jul 22 2009