PDA

View Full Version : 'Jealous' Tracy McGrady Wishes Miami's Big Three Success

duncan228
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
'Jealous' Tracy McGrady Wishes Miami's Big Three Success (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/05/jealous-tracy-mcgrady-wishes-miamis-big-three-success/)
By Tim Povtak

Just the thought of facing the Miami Heat and their Big Three of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh Tuesday night gave Tracy McGrady one of those what-could-have-been, flashback moments.

McGrady chuckled at the suggestion that he was once part of a very similar, grand blueprint almost a decade ago -- until it fell apart.

McGrady, now with the Detroit Pistons, was a young, just-budding star when he signed as a free agent with the Orlando Magic in 2000, expecting to team with Grant Hill and Tim Duncan in their primes that same summer.

Hill also signed with the Magic, but a career-changing ankle injury made him a shell of his former self. Duncan, also a free agent that summer, seriously considered joining the Magic and coach Doc Rivers but was persuaded to stay in San Antonio.

"I am envious (of Miami's Big Three). I'm jealous as s**t,'' McGrady chuckled Tuesday morning before a Pistons workout. "I look at all the teams I've been on, and I never had a Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh on the same team. I'm jealous, but I'm happy for them. I hope they win 10 damn championships.''

McGrady, now 31 and still trying to return successfully from serious knee surgery, won two scoring titles in Orlando, but he never had a decent supporting cast. He was traded to Houston the same summer that Dwight Howard was drafted directly from high school.

He has played in seven NBA All-Star Games, but he still hasn't been beyond the first round of the playoffs (he was injured during Houston's playoff run in 2009) and it's unlikely to happen now with the rebuilding Pistons.

"Ten years ago, we could have done it (put a Big Three together) but without all the hype,'' McGrady said. "But that's just wishful thinking now. It's what could have happened. It's only teasing me (to talk about it). So many nights I remember just wishing that Grant was healthy. I would have loved for Duncan to have been there, too, but a healthy Grant Hill would have been good enough (for me).''

McGrady said he understands the unrelenting intrigue and runaway hype with the Heat now, but he still doesn't understand why James was criticized so fiercely for leaving Cleveland and joining the Heat.

"I can't fault him. If I was in that situation, I'd go to a team with Dwyane Wade. It's about winning, isn't it?'' he said. "Everyone just has a problem with how he did it. Me, I might not have done it that way, but as far as leaving to play with Dwyane, I'm happy for him. It's about winning.''

McGrady is at a completely different stage of his career today, slowly trying to wind his way back from microfracture knee surgery almost two years ago.

He started last season in Houston, but he hardly played, then was traded to the Knicks for his expiring contract. He looked like a shell of his former self in New York, where he gamely tried to show he had something left to his career. He signed with the Pistons, taking a minimum contract, because none of the contenders offered him a job.

A summer of continued rehab and a good training camp, though, has him smiling again about his future. If he plays well, he believes the Pistons should be able to battle for one of the final Eastern Conference playoffs spots.

"I'm so far ahead of where I was with the Knicks, it's not even close. Not even close,'' he said. "My goal is play in 82 games and get to the playoffs. That's a successful season for me. Mentally, I have to learn how to play again, not having pain in my knee.''

Killakobe81
10-05-2010, 03:57 PM
LOL at all these feminine ass admissions ...

Mo "I was depressed for days, it doesnt make sense"

Tracy "I'm jealous as shit"

Maybe im just too old school but I hate this kind of talk ...you on the bulls! They have talent ...say you hope to beat those guys. Why would i want to go to war with Tracy "playoff" McGrady? he always says stuf like that ...like he predicted the lakers winning it all ... when he was rehabbing (again) a few seasons back. And some thought this dude was the best player in the game for a minute?! Dont get me wrong ...immense talent but no heart.

Phillip
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
LOL at all these feminine ass admissions ...

Mo "I was depressed for days, it doesnt make sense"

Tracy "I'm jealous as shit"

Maybe im just too old school but I hate this kind of talk ...you on the bulls! They have talent ...say you hope to beat those guys. Why would i want to go to war with Tracy "playoff" McGrady? he always says stuf like that ...like he predicted the lakers winning it all ... when he was rehabbing (again) a few seasons back. And some thought this dude was the best player in the game for a minute?! Dont get me wrong ...immense talent but no heart.

being honest doesnt mean you have no heart. go back and watch the way he battle in his playoff series' against the Mavs and the two series against the Jazz. dude was the only one who seemed to give a shit, and played his ass off game after game. not his fault Yao and other teammates would choke, or when JVG had a total coaching fuck-up in game 7 against the Jazz.

and hes not on the bulls, hes on the pistons

Killakobe81
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
being honest doesnt mean you have no heart. go back and watch the way he battle in his playoff series' against the Mavs and the two series against the Jazz. dude was the only one who seemed to give a shit, and played his ass off game after game. not his fault Yao and other teammates would choke, or when JVG had a total coaching fuck-up in game 7 against the Jazz.

My bad, Pistons. But come on, 10 titles? So he has no hopes for getting any in 10 years or however long he plans to play? i have no problems with saying it will be interesting or exciting to watch miami (i too am excited) but you hope they get 10? as a competitor?! ARe you OK with someone on YOUR team saying something like that? I seen him battle, yes. But i also have seen him make some marshmellow soft comments (posted above) AND also flame out in the first round repeatedly. I guess i just never bought in to his hype. he is just missing something ...but I respect your right to disagree here.

Phillip
10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
My bad, Pistons. But come on, 10 titles? So he has no hopes for getting any in 10 years or however long he plans to play? i have no problems with saying it will be interesting or exciting to watch miami (i too am excited) but you hope they get 10? as a competitor?! ARe you OK with someone on YOUR team saying something like that? I seen him battle, yes. But i also have seen him make some marshmellow soft comments (posted above) AND also flame out in the first round repeatedly. I guess i just never bought in to his hype. he is just missing something ...but I respect your right to disagree here.

seriously? are you a child or something, taking his "10 titles" quote literally?

he simply means he wishes them success. a very professional approach. doesnt mean hes not going to try his best to win a title for his team as well.

Phillip
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Do you think Kobe, MJ, or Magic would wish each other won titles? Besides, me and Kobe ain't done, they gonna have to wait until we're done 4-peating.

First off, Kobe has always been a very professional player and wished other players successes in their future endeavors.

Second, Kobe is still in his prime years. McGrady is clearly at the end of his career which has been screwed over by injuries, and he's on a team that everyone already knows has no chance in hell at winning a title. Far different situation.

Third, MJ and Magic are douchebags who are full of shit in all their bullshit "we wouldnt have joined forces with each other" considering they already had been teamed up with great players. Magic got to play alongside the second greatest player ever in Kareem, as well as other very good players like Worthy. MJ had Pippen. Who the hell did Lebron have? Mo Williams? Anderson Varejao? GTFO

Killakobe81
10-05-2010, 05:57 PM
seriously? are you a child or something, taking his "10 titles" quote literally?

he simply means he wishes them success. a very professional approach. doesnt mean hes not going to try his best to win a title for his team as well.

You calling me a child when you are name calling? LOL.
I'm not taking it literal Im just saying that I WISH he had more competitive fire. Lebron gets knocked for not being like MJ, but do YOU THINK Lebron would say anything like that if the situation was reversed?
Even look at Dirk and his response when asked about the heat ...I guess you just want to hear players of that caliber (well used to be) to look at the heat as the the ultimate challenge. I find it a bit disappointing but truth be told ...it's not like TMAC is that relevant anymore anyway. I just dont like statements of that ilk ...you maybe OK with it but that is you not me. I like the menatl part of the game as well and to me that sounds soft ... period.

Ashy Larry
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
AKOCy9R-h2A

still my favorite memory of this cat ....... when he was healthy and younger, potential was unlimited.

Killakobe81
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
AKOCy9R-h2A

still my favorite memory of this cat ....... when he was healthy and younger, potential was unlimited.

That was sick ...and no doubt injuries played a role in his demise. But something about his mentality or "make-up" always rubbed me the wrong way. He just did not have something ...that extra "swag", killer instinct whatever that "it" that makes the extremely talented truly great ...

Jloyola
10-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Airball!

Latarian Milton
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM

swap him and Tim Duncan on the 97' draft night and the dude would have won a hand of rings too. dude never got any real support all his career and he was always the scapegoat because he was the #1. although he never succeeded carrying his dipshit teammates to the 2nd round, his overall career is definitely a success imho. T-Mac is a locked hall of famer imho.

once upon a time t-mac was the most prolific scorer all over the league. in his late years, injures turned his primary enemy and encumbered him a lot but he still managed to crank out 20+pts/game in these seasons imho.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
how the fuck was T-Mac supposed to carry a Rockets team when Yao Ming got injured EVERY FUCKING YEAR?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
how the fuck was T-Mac supposed to carry a Rockets team when Yao Ming got injured EVERY FUCKING YEAR?
A fucking men. It's not his fault he had to carry a team with the 7'6" piece of shit AKA Mr. Shite being an undependable sidekick.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2010, 08:56 PM
ill always remember TMAC for this

p_CGxj3dHGA

this is why its so fucking important to put yourself with the right organization.

if TMAC had gone to the Lakers, he'd have a handful of rings too. It doesn't take much when you have all that help constantly surrounding you.

Latarian Milton
10-05-2010, 08:56 PM

it was always due to the lack of support that resulted in t-mac's 1st round exits IMHO. the Shite being injured was honestly a positive thing for the rockets team but they would still lose the series in game 7 due mainly to the incapacities of t-mac's teammates.

Latarian Milton
10-05-2010, 09:02 PM
this is why its so fucking important to put yourself with the right organization.

if TMAC had gone to the Lakers, he'd have a handful of rings too. It doesn't take much when you have all that help constantly surrounding you.

agreed. T-mac as an individual is deservingly the same caliber of player as Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant tbh. I suppose im even more intelligent than Obama's daughters but the mulato girls definitely have much better futures. they girls will probably wade into the political area someday while i will stick with my hoodrat stuffs all my life. at least the world will always remember t-mac as a great player, a HOF caliber legend though the absence of a champion ring will always be quite a regret for him.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Pau Gasol.

Magic is a truly great HOF. Kobe is not.

Yao Ming gets injured, TMAC has no Pau Gasol.

Darrin
10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
AKOCy9R-h2A

He's had better. In Orlando, the guy was a beast. Here's the one I remember:

TtJRVrh5y6U

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 04:19 AM
I suppose im even more intelligent than Obama's daughters

Yep, you & a grape.

Killakobe81
10-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Bynum is injured every year, and Kobe has no problem. Kareem was injured in a finals, Magic had no problem. The great ones get it done... no excuses.

True story. The truly great ones ring sometime in their career ...injuries are just another challenge to overcome. Excuses are for loser teams and their fanbases ...

InK
10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
The great ones are great becasue they win. Tmac never won. He isnt one of the great ones.

Great ones are allways amazing basketball players. Tmac was an amazing player.

Great ones allways play and win with good supporting casts. Tman never had a great supporting cast.

Tmac isnt great becasue he never had a good supporting cast.

Killakobe81
10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
The great ones are great becasue they win. Tmac never won. He isnt one of the great ones.

Great ones are allways amazing basketball players. Tmac was an amazing player.

Great ones allways play and win with good supporting casts. Tman never had a great supporting cast.

Tmac isnt great becaue he never had a good supporting cast.

TMAC isnt great because he was not able to win with a 3-1 lead or even when he had a good supporting cast. Injuries may have robbbed him of some chances but no one asked him to win titles with a crappy cast ... who can? But winning a playoff series? With a good supporting cast or homecourt advantage that is not too much to ask. I know many love TMAC he was exciting to watch and loved to put on a show. But he was vastly overrated by many. Could TMAC have won with shaq? Yes. But that says more about Shaq than TMAC. Would they have won the same amount of titles? Probably not. We will never know ...but we do know ... he is a 2nd round virgin.

Gutter92
10-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Bynum is injured every year, and Kobe has no problem. Kareem was injured in a finals, Magic had no problem. The great ones get it done... no excuses.

Bynum
Kobe
Kareem
Magic

One of these people does not belong in that group :lol