PDA

View Full Version : Child expelled a year from school for bringing a toy gun to class.

Cry Havoc
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/06/toy.gun.expelled/index.html?hpt=T1

Miramar, Florida (CNN) -- It's quite clear. No guns may be brought to school. Period. It's the law.

So, when Samuel Burgos brought a gun to school last November in Broward County, Florida, the zero tolerance policy kicked in, and Samuel was suspended and then expelled.

A just punishment? Did he deserve it?

Well, here's more. The gun wasn't real. It was a toy gun that never left his book bag. And Samuel -- he was 7 years old at the time.

A just punishment? Did he deserve it?

"No child should be disciplined in this manner," said Magdiel Burgos, Samuel's father. "He made an honest mistake, OK. And he's paying dear life for it, and it just isn't fair."

Samuel, now 8, has been out of school for almost a year. His parents have home-schooled him since he was expelled for bringing a clear plastic, spring-action toy gun to school, which fired plastic beads.

"He has been deprived of an education. My son made a mistake, and they kept him out a year," said Samuel's mother, Karen Burgos.

And it may be longer than that before Samuel is permitted to rejoin his classmates. A hearing will be held this month as his family fights his expulsion. Because the school board's order has not yet been finalized, his punishment could be extended into next year.

"I miss my friends," Samuel said.

Samuel spends his days playing baseball and practicing his studies with his parents. He should be in third grade now, but he's already missed most of second grade and may find himself two years behind by the time this matter is resolved.

In an interview with CNN correspondent John Zarrella, Samuel said that he was playing "army" with his friends one weekend, and he decided to hide the toy gun from his brother, so he placed it in his school bag. He went to school on Monday and said that he forgot he had the toy with him.

Samuel told one of his friends the gun was there but said he never took it out.

When the toy gun was discovered, according to school board records, the principal of Pembroke Pines Charter Elementary School West determined the gun to be a toy, but she felt compelled to report the incident to the school board. The school board classified the toy gun as a weapon because it fired a projectile device. The punishment: mandatory expulsion.

According to school records, school district Superintendent James Notter recommended the boy be expelled. Samuel was not charged criminally.

Notter did not consent to CNN's request for an interview. However, a school board spokeswoman e-mailed this statement to CNN.

"A hearing officer ruled in favor of the School Board of Broward County to uphold [its] recommendation of expulsion. ... Students have the right to personal privacy and the District is exercising responsibility of respecting this right."

Zero tolerance policies, such as this one in Florida, exist in some form in all 50 states, according to the Education Commission of the States.

In the post-Columbine world, schools have taken a hard line in increasing safety by increasing punishments. But the laws are constantly evolving, according to experts, so that the less serious, often petty cases of misconduct are not handled the same as the serious ones.

In Louisiana, a child who brings a knife to school with a blade 2 inches or longer will be expelled, except when the student is under 11 in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, according to the Education Commission of the States.

And, in Broward County, where Samuel lives, school officials have amended their policies this school year and require mandatory expulsion only for possession of a firearm.

But it comes a year too late for Samuel. One expert said there's been a definite error of judgment, and now Samuel has missed a large part of two school years.

"This is a 7-year-old child," said Kathy Christie of the Education Commission of the States. "This is a case where it was not brandished. It's a plastic gun. ... It just seems a long time to penalize a young man like that, a long time to take him out of that educational experience."

During their son's expulsion, Samuel's parents were offered the chance to send their son to an alternative school. The school, for "at risk" kids, has about 200 students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

"We said this is not an option, this is unacceptable," Samuel's father said. "I cannot, as a concerned parent, send my child, to a correctional school at 7 years old, who committed a mistake."

The Burgoses worry that this blemish on Samuel's permanent record will follow him, so the family is challenging the school board's ruling. Samuel could also be penalized for not attending the alternative school, according to his attorney.

"If he applies to certain colleges and universities, they too will be aware of an expulsion that happened in second grade," said Burgos family attorney, Alfreda Coward. "They'll know that he was expelled from school for having a class 'A' weapon, and the No. 1 item on that is a firearm."

For now, Samuel spends his days at home, but he said he misses going to school and doing his homework.

While that may be hard to believe, his mother works with him and helps him with his lessons each day. But is she a good teacher?

"Nope," Samuel said. "No offense, Mom."

-----

This kind of knee-jerk idiocy is one of the primary reasons this country is going downhill. So sad. The teacher and any school official who thought this child's life should be ruined for being a child should be fired, put on probation, and serve community service. If they so much as jaywalk, throw them in jail for a year. See how they like living with a "no tolerance" policy.

boutons_deux
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
When Generosity Hurts: Bill Gates, Public School Teachers and the Politics of Humiliation

"Such practices and the cultural politics that legitimize them are apparent in zero-tolerance policies in schools, which mindlessly punish poor white and students of color by criminalizing behavior as trivial as violating a dress code. Such students have been assaulted by the police, handcuffed and taken away in police cars and in some cases imprisoned.(2) The discourse of humiliation abounds in the public sphere of hate radio and Fox News, which provides a forum for a host of pundits, who trade in insults against feminists, environmentalists, African-Americans, immigrants, progressive critics, liberal media, President Barack Obama, and anyone else who rejects the militant orthodox views of the new media extremists and religious fundamentalists. Policies that humiliate and punish are also visible in the increasing expansion of the criminal justice system used regularly to deal with problems that would be better addressed through social reforms rather than punishment."

http://www.truth-out.org/when-generosity-hurts-bill-gates-public-school-teachers-and-politics-humiliation63868?print

Wild Cobra
10-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Zero tolerance = Zero intelligence.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Zero tolerance = Zero intelligence.

Cmon WC, but it's easy to be lazy. Zero tolerance = Zero time to invest is necessary.

Wild Cobra
10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Cmon WC, but it's easy to be lazy. Zero tolerance = Zero time to invest is necessary.
That's what it is. Laziness on the policy makers.

There should be no such thing as zero tolerance policies when dealing with children. I'm sorry, but either these people are flat out idiots, or never had children. Probably both.

Oh, Gee!!
10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
There should be no such thing as zero tolerance policies when dealing with children. I'm sorry, but either these people are flat out idiots, or never had children.

a zero tolerance policy against zero tolerance policies

Drachen
10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
a zero tolerance policy against zero tolerance policies

LOL, its not quite zero tolerance against zero tolerance since he allowed for adult zero tolerance policies. Still, great line.:lol

Wild Cobra
10-06-2010, 01:12 PM
LOL, its not quite zero tolerance against zero tolerance since he allowed for adult zero tolerance policies. Still, great line.:lol
Old line, and I think I used it before.

jack sommerset
10-06-2010, 02:06 PM
That's fucking stupid.

boutons_deux
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
BigPharma is pushing hard and succeeding in selling anti-psychotic drugs to kids and babies.

eg:

Some States Drugging Incarcerated Kids To Alter Behavior

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/148425

How I LOVE to trust and respect Big Corps for all their great contributions to civilization.

aka, "we'll do ANYTHING for a buck"

Drachen
10-06-2010, 02:40 PM
BigPharma is pushing hard and succeeding in selling anti-psychotic drugs to kids and babies.

eg:

Some States Drugging Incarcerated Kids To Alter Behavior

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/148425

How I LOVE to trust and respect Big Corps for all their great contributions to civilization.

aka, "we'll do ANYTHING for a buck"

How does this relate?

Are you a bot with messed up programming?

Wild Cobra
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
How does this relate?

Are you a bot with messed up programming?
I think he is...

Spurminator
10-06-2010, 02:47 PM
boutons reminds me of the Bing "search overload" commercials.

boutons_deux
10-06-2010, 02:48 PM
File under "Screwing Kids Up"

It's All Related, for those if us with the superior vision to see it.

ACLU sues NC school over student’s nose piercing

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/10/aclu-sues-nc-school-students-nose-piercing/

Drachen
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I think he is...

I had thought that B_D was jack sommerset's mirror, but I am starting to believe that he is DarrinS' to some extent.

B_D if you want to greatly broaden a conversation like that how about I bring in a an article about biological anthropology?

We can file it under "humans" and it would still be relevant.

jack sommerset
10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I had thought that B_D was jack sommerset's mirror, but I am starting to believe that he is DarrinS' to some extent.

B_D if you want to greatly broaden a conversation like that how about I bring in a an article about biological anthropology?

We can file it under "humans" and it would still be relevant.

I am one of the few people that only have one ID on this site. In fact some dumb douchebags think my name is really Jack Sommerset!

Drachen
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I am one of the few people that only have one ID on this site. In fact some dumb douchebags think my name is really Jack Sommerset!

I too only have one account, I wasn't saying you were each other's troll. I said mirror.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I actually think Boutons is really smart his delivery just sucks and he's angry at everyone. But honestly, sometimes you SHOULD be angry at everyone.

MannyIsGod
10-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Plus for some reason, I love that he tells everyone to GFY.

Shit just cracks me up.

Drachen
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
I actually think Boutons is really smart his delivery just sucks and he's angry at everyone. But honestly, sometimes you SHOULD be angry at everyone.

To me it just looks like he chooses a word (word X) at random in the thread, then brings out examples A, B, and C in article format about how the world is going to hell due to word X.

Generally there is a small link, but a lot of the time the only link is that word X actually appears somewhere in article A.

..... and yes B_D I know GFM

boutons_deux
10-06-2010, 08:24 PM
trash talking what you THINK is thread drift? GFY all y'all :)

Drachen
10-06-2010, 08:32 PM
trash talking what you THINK is thread drift? GFY all y'all :)

Ok, that was funny. In response: nope, I never THOUGHT it was thread drift. Instead I would call it thread nuclear annihilation right after it has been hit by a hypernova while being sucked into a massive black hole.

If you catch my "drift"

silverblk mystix
10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Shit just cracks me up.

Go Fuck Yourself, Friendo...:lol

ploto
10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
While the school's actions are most definitely extreme, it is also stupid of the parents to claim that he will now be two grades behind in school, especially when they were offered the option of an alternative school. They claim they are home schooling him, but then they also say it is the school's fault he is behind.

duhoh
10-07-2010, 12:35 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Same thing happened to me, only with a nerf gun that shot foam darts in 3rd grade! We had to move districts after that!

HAHAHAHA!

boutons_deux
10-07-2010, 06:12 AM

Not angry at everyone, just pushing back and angry at what Repugs and conservatives have done to America.

4500 wasted US military lives in Iraq, $Ts wasted, and counting. And you fuckers wanna give Repugs a pass and re-elect the scumbags to power?

101A
10-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Shit just cracks me up.

This.

101A
10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Not angry at everyone, just pushing back and angry at what Repugs and conservatives have done to America.

4500 wasted US military lives in Iraq, $Ts wasted, and counting. And you fuckers wanna give Repugs a pass and re-elect the scumbags to power?

You're simply a blind partisan if you don't recognize the equal hand the Democrats had in getting us to where we are. Look at the vote(s) authorizing the use of force in Iraq - hell go back and look at how Kerry ran in '04; there was no great stand against the war, or what we had gotten into; Monday morning quarterbacking is EASY - which, now, the Republicans are doing with deficit spending - even though Tarp was on THEIR (at least the executive) watch.

Corps are allowed to rape and pillage BECAUSE the govt. gives them carte-blanche to do so, and does not protect our individual liberties (property or otherwise) to make us immune to it.

If you remain partisan; voting in Dems simply because they are Dems; holding Republicans responsible for our woes; you play into their hands. If they are allowed to place blame on "the other guys" - then you simply reelect your guy - and other's reelect THEIR guy; and we get NOWHERE! They win; we lose; you are simply a mad, ranting SUCKER!

101A
10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
You're simply a blind partisan if you don't recognize the equal hand the Democrats had in getting us to where we are. Look at the vote(s) authorizing the use of force in Iraq - hell go back and look at how Kerry ran in '04; there was no great stand against the war, or what we had gotten into; Monday morning quarterbacking is EASY - which, now, the Republicans are doing with deficit spending - even though Tarp was on THEIR (at least the executive) watch.

Corps are allowed to rape and pillage BECAUSE the govt. gives them carte-blanche to do so, and does not protect our individual liberties (property or otherwise) to make us immune to it.

If you remain partisan; voting in Dems simply because they are Dems; holding Republicans responsible for our woes; you play into their hands. If they are allowed to place blame on "the other guys" - then you simply reelect your guy - and other's reelect THEIR guy; and we get NOWHERE! They win; we lose; you are simply a mad, ranting SUCKER!

BTW don't know how this thread got here, but I do recognize how OT this is.

As for the OP - school is ridiculous.

My youngest (5th grade) is going on a field trip to Ft. Ligonier today; has already been told they MAY NOT buy the "Cannon Pencil Sharpener" in the gift shop.

boutons_deux
10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
"Look at the vote(s) authorizing the use of force in Iraq"

lying false equivalence.

THERE WOULD BE NO WAR in IRAQ if Gore had been elected. The proposal to go invade Iraq was 100% Repug/neo-con, not Dem.

The neo-cons and Repugs LIED and BULLIED and intimidated their way into Iraq-for-oil. The Dems didn't push for war, but they were lied to and dicklessly intimidated. I hate the Dems for their complicity, but they weren't the pushers, they were followers, passive accomplices.

Repugs were the shooters, Dems were accomplices.

"Corps are allowed to rape and pillage BECAUSE the govt. gives them carte-blanche to do so"

So it's the govt fault that the corps can't be trusted? Holy fucking shit, you're a dumfbuck.

And thanks for justifying MORE regulation of corporate/financial activities. :lol

I never said the spineless, dickless Dems were innocent. They're guilty by passivity.

When we need A Few Good Men to stand up and shout, we got Dem silence. Except Magic Negro, who had the BIG BLACK BALLS to vote against the Iraq war. I'm actually surprised he's still alive.

I said the Regugs, conservatives, VRWC have been conspiratorily, aggressively, relentlessly pushing deregulation (financial disaster), hate-govt/destroy-govt (get govt out of the way of the corps' and capitalists' plundering and looting), continuous warring, enriching/empowering the MIC beyond reach of the civilians.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
boutons reminds me of the Bing "search overload" commercials.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

101A
10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
When we need A Few Good Men to stand up and shout, we got Dem silence. Except Magic Negro, who had the BIG BLACK BALLS to vote against the Iraq war.

When, exactly, did the Illinois legislature gain that kind of constitutional authority?

boutons_deux
10-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Correct he wasn't a Senator in 2002/2.

He spoke out against it from Ill and campaigned against it.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2006/11/obama_flexes_an.html

He was outspoken and right, the Repugs were dishonest and wrong, and nearly all other Dems were silent.

101A
10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Correct he wasn't a Senator in 2002/2.

He spoke out against it from Ill and campaigned against it.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2006/11/obama_flexes_an.html

He was outspoken and right, the Repugs were dishonest and wrong, and nearly all other Dems were silent.

Got it.