PDA

View Full Version : Lebron: I' Cant defer

RsxPiimp
10-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I dont understand this dude. Y'know Miami is Wade's team...

The Heat went out of their way to showcase Dwyane Wade as the alpha dog prior to their preseason opener on Tuesday night, but LeBron James isn't ready to defer to his new teammate.

Wade went last in pregame introductions and when the Big Three posed for pictures James and Chris Bosh were on opposite sides of the long-time Heat superstar.

Regardless, LeBron admitted that he can't be a follower.

"I can't defer," James said. "I'm never in defer mentality."

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69439/20101006/lebron_i_cant_defer/#ixzz11W1bI8T9

So it begins...

anonoftheinternets
10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
well they did say they would "share" the ball, no need for either to be deferential. But we will see, there is still time for this to go up in a cloud of flames.

Btw the original article is a better read: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ahhv_2IH29.o5KaIk.o0iMu8vLYF?slug=aw-lebronheat100610

Jose Canseco
10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Don't see a problem with that quote at all. I take it as him just saying he is going to remain aggressive and won't be passive on the court. That's the right mentality for any player, even if you want to consider him a sidekick (not saying he is or isn't).

It's similar to what Lamar Odom said a few years ago about playing with Kobe. He said something to the effect that he knows Kobe is going to get his touches so when you play with that kind of player, you can't be passive. You have to be aggressive on offense and look for your opportunities otherwise you end up just watching Kobe. That didn't mean Lamar didn't think it was Kobe's team. It meant Lamar understood he can't play like a pussy just because Kobe is a ball dominant player.

It's the right approach for LeBron. If LeBron starts to defer, he will start changing his game. Being unselfish won't mean he is deferring. LeBron is the best player in the league. He shouldn't defer.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't see a problem with that quote at all. I take it as him just saying he is going to remain aggressive and won't be passive on the court. That's the right mentality for any player, even if you want to consider him a sidekick (not saying he is or isn't).

It's similar to what Lamar Odom said a few years ago about playing with Kobe. He said something to the effect that he knows Kobe is going to get his touches so when you play with that kind of player, you can't be passive. You have to be aggressive on offense and look for your opportunities otherwise you end up just watching Kobe. That didn't mean Lamar didn't think it was Kobe's team. It meant Lamar understood he can't play like a pussy just because Kobe is a ball dominant player.

It's the right approach for LeBron. If LeBron starts to defer, he will start changing his game. Being unselfish won't mean he is deferring. LeBron is the best player in the league. He shouldn't defer.

there is a difference between "being aggresive" and "I cant defer".

narmerguy
10-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Article over does it. James didn't brush Wade to the side. Wade go injured and thus the offensive went through the exact person it should have: lebron. Wade will be just fine, it's not like the dude hasn't dazzled entire crowds himself...how people forget Celtics v Miami playoff performance just a few months ago with 55 points.

Jose Canseco
10-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Not the way I interpret LeBron's comments

Ace
10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Lol Lakers fans wishing for the team to implode.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM

sons i wish we see you guys in the playoffs. It'll be a easier compared to Boston. You think Bynum, Gasol and Odom are worried about Joel Anthony and Chris Bosh? lol

Jose Canseco
10-06-2010, 12:14 PM

haters gonna hate... look at your signature

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Oh, you better believe it, daddy-O.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Not the way I interpret LeBron's comments

to each his own.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 12:20 PM
LOL all i said is there is a difference between "Aggresiveness" and "I cant defer" and the Heat fans get all EMO on me.

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
These two (Wade & James) didn't conspire this collaboration to just piss it a way. Wade has been touched, and understands the path. He'll try to take James with him. James wants to go. And he's pretty damn close to the point of not caring how he gets there.

Muser
10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe all those years of having Mo Williams as the best player to defer to have took its toll on James' mind.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 12:28 PM
:lol this is so stupid, such a reach..

Why the fuck would Lebron say he's going to defer to anybody, even if that player is the 2nd best player in the NBA?..it just sounds stupid, and it wouldn't make any sense..from everything we've heard about this team so far, it appears that Lebron and Wade will share the ball-handling duties and exploit mismatches..there won't be a traditional "#1 option" on this team, it's going to be historic..

It's like these idiots(mostly Laker fans) don't understand that these guys CHOSE to play together, they weren't forced into it through a trade..it's pretty much fear though..the NBA has never seen a combination like Lebron and Wade..

Muser
10-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Why the fuck would Lebron say he's going to defer to anybody, even if that player is the 2nd best player in the NBA?..it just sounds stupid, and it wouldn't make any sense..from everything we've heard about this team so far, it appears that Lebron and Wade will share the ball-handling duties and exploit mismatches..there won't be a traditional "#1 option" on this team, it's going to be historic..

It's like these idiots(mostly Laker fans) don't understand that these guys CHOSE to play together, they weren't forced into it through a trade..it's pretty much fear though..the NBA has never seen a combination like Lebron and Wade..

I agree with the first part,but..http://www.redsarmy.com/.a/6a01156f2c3287970c0120a89d3b8c970b-500pi

MiamiHeat
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
nah, 2nd best player in the NBA is Kevin Durant

it goes like this

1. LeBron
2. Durantula
3. Wade

Rick Ross
10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Yall lame niggas cant understand what it is to be a G
yall sittin backseat while we speedin down the free
we fillin up models while you blowin up fake dolls
yall puffin on a roach while we crackin eightballs
Talk to a Don, yall inside the box thinkin mainstream
we got a king, a champ, and a boss all on the same team
I know ya green with envy, homeys, dam yall hurt
if you was a G then you'd see why we can't defer

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't mean they're the best..Kareem/Magic and Shaq/Kobe were post-perimeter combos..Jordan/Pippen had a clear pecking order..

This will be the first combination(IMO) that puts 2 of the 3 best players in the NBA, in their primes,together at the same time, and I don't think there is going to be a traditional pecking order..

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Though James is notoriously nervous in the service. Wade will have to hold his hand to see if that works.

Darrin
10-06-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with the first part,but..http://www.redsarmy.com/.a/6a01156f2c3287970c0120a89d3b8c970b-500pi

http://www.achievement.org/achievers/rus0/large/rus0-004.jpg
http://www.bullshitando.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ap_parish_bird_mchale_080603_ssh.jpg
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/pierce-kg-and-allen.jpg
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/daily-chicago-sports-tab/assets_c/2010/07/Bulls%20Big%203-thumb-640xauto-179864.jpg
http://powerfulbeyondmeasure.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/040529_kobe_shaq_vmedwidec.jpg

hitmanyr2k
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM

it goes like this

1. LeBron
2. Durantula
3. Wade

When Durant shows consistent defense and can improve to at least below average playmaking ability (averaging more assists than turnovers for the first time in his career would be a start) then maybe he'll get in the Top 5. Right now he's Carmelo Anthony Part 2.

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 12:50 PM
When Durant shows

That Artest ain't his daddy.

:lol

dunkman
10-06-2010, 12:55 PM

it goes like this

1. LeBron
2. Durantula
3. Wade

Wade plays even better in the playoffs, it was that way from his first season. Durant may be the opposite.

21_Blessings
10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
"Can't defer" doesn't mean he won't. LeRobin is a naturally submissive personality and it's pretty clear who the Alpha is on the Heat.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Can't defer? What about last year in the playoffs when he decided to camp in the corner so Anthony Parker (lol) and Anderson Varejao (LOL) could run the two man game? That seems like deferring in a bad way.

TheGreatest23
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Lebrons a joke...he is the best Pre-season and regular season baller. Thats about it.

milkshakeballa
10-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Can't defer? What about last year in the playoffs when he decided to camp in the corner so Anthony Parker (lol) and Anderson Varejao (LOL) could run the two man game? That seems like deferring in a bad way.

I was going to come in and post the exact same thing DOK.

GREAT GREAT POST.

Great minds think alike my friend! great post! :toast:toast

Cry Havoc
10-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Is that kind of like how you're criticizing a guy who's averaging ~7.5 assists after his rookie season and 8.6 last year vs a guy who's never had a single season of over 6.0 APG and scored 81 in a single game, even when he had one of the most dominant post players of all-time on his team?

Yeah. LeBron's going to have a real problem sharing the rock after averaging almost 9 APG when his 2nd best player was Mo Williams and will now have Wade and Bosh to pass to, not to mention the other shooters on the Heat.

:lmao

Lakers fans are seriously the most insecure people in all of sports. You're basically a combination of Bill Plaschke and Jay Mariotti, depending on if someone is asking you about the Lakers or any other team. You go from slob-knobbing homers to the most cynical spiteful haters on the planet in about a quarter of a second. This is also the most obvious sign of bandwagon fans, for what it's worth. :lol

JamStone
10-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Is that kind of like how you're criticizing a guy who's averaging ~7.5 assists after his rookie season and 8.6 last year vs a guy who's never had a single season of over 6.0 APG, even when he had one of the most dominant post players of all-time on his team?

Yeah. LeBron's going to have a real problem sharing the rock after averaging almost 9 APG when his 2nd best player was Mo Williams and will now have Wade and Bosh to pass to, not to mention the other shooters on the Heat.

Not that I don't agree with you, but when you're a player like LeBron who has the ball in his hands on offense around 90% of the time when he's on the court and probably makes the playmaking decisions on offense about that much as well and surrounded by players who can't create shots by themselves, you're going to average a lot of assists. Was Allen Iverson "sharing the rock" when he was averaging around 7 APG earlier on in his career or were those 7 assists a product of him having the basketball in his hands all the time on offense? Was Chauncey Billups not good at sharing the basketball when he averaged only around 5 APG on those mid 2000s Pistons teams even though he was the main decision maker and facilitator or was it a product of the offensive system?

It could go a couple different ways with LeBron. LeBron could really focus on being a playmaker and average close to 10 APG but see his scoring drop down closer to 20 PPG. Or, he can play the way he always has and be probably around 5-7 APG because now he has a couple of other guys who are also playmakers who will pick up their share of assists and who can score by creating their own scoring opportunities without the aid of LeBron setting them up.

And Kobe's assists have already been discussed at length. Part of Kobe's assists average go to him as a selfish player. But a big part of it is the triangle offense. It's an equal opportunity offense and very rarely does one player average huge assist numbers in it. That's why Michael averaged mostly between 5-6 APG once Phil Jackson got the triangle fully implemented in Chicago. Even Scottie only had one season where he averaged 7 APG in the triangle. Likewise, he mostly averaged between 5-6 APG. Doesn't mean Kobe is as good as LeBron when it comes to sharing the ball. But you have to realize part of it is because of the triangle.

At any rate, I do agree that LeBron shouldn't have a problem sharing the basketball. I don't think it will be a problem.

Native American
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Sometimes a leader must follow and followers must lead. In order to have success in combat, the group must share responsibilities. They must act as a unit. LeBron knows this. And last year with the Cavs proved he knew this. Allowing others to share in the responsibility of leading and winning does not mean LeBron was deferring. LeBron knows how important he is and that's precisely why he can't defer. And by that I mean when it comes to taking over, LeBron knows how impotent he is and that's precisely from a lack of sperm.

tee, pee

Darrin
10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Lebrons a joke...he is the best Pre-season and regular season baller. Thats about it.

Do people remember when Kobe was told he was forcing the action and determined to "make the big play" at the expense of the team?

Or how about when he was a ballhog that got what he deserved for running Shaq out of town?

Does anyone remember when Kevin Garnett was a regular season player without a killer instinct, who deferred to others, wasn't a leader?

How about Tim Duncan when he was too soft to take down Shaq?

Jason Kidd was a wife-beater who couldn't win in the postseason?

He's young enough to have questions about his career. Questions about his postseason record. There's a question if he will fit into a team like this because he's never had teammates like this before.

Give it time. Enjoy the ride. I think you'll hear from him soon.

Cry Havoc
10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Not that I don't agree with you, but when you're a player like LeBron who has the ball in his hands on offense around 90% of the time when he's on the court and probably makes the playmaking decisions on offense about that much as well and surrounded by players who can't create shots by themselves, you're going to average a lot of assists. Was Allen Iverson "sharing the rock" when he was averaging around 7 APG earlier on in his career or were those 7 assists a product of him having the basketball in his hands all the time on offense? Was Chauncey Billups not good at sharing the basketball when he averaged only around 5 APG on those mid 2000s Pistons teams even though he was the main decision maker and facilitator or was it a product of the offensive system?

I don't ever recall Iverson being listed as a fantastic passer. LeBron has great court vision and that's a big part of why he averages so many assists. It's not like LeBron's assists are flukes or just a product of him having a bunch of threats on offense.

It could go a couple different ways with LeBron. LeBron could really focus on being a playmaker and average close to 10 APG but see his scoring drop down closer to 20 PPG. Or, he can play the way he always has and be probably around 5-7 APG because now he has a couple of other guys who are also playmakers who will pick up their share of assists and who can score by creating their own scoring opportunities without the aid of LeBron setting them up.

Either way will probably be effective, right? I mean, even if LeBron brings the ball up all the time, Wade is going to get his. He's too good of a guard not to find ways to score. The point I was making is that LeBron isn't going to suddenly ball hog and kill all the chemistry, because he has never had that kind of a problem on a team even when he didn't have legitimate options to go to.

And Kobe's assists have already been discussed at length. Part of Kobe's assists average go to him as a selfish player. But a big part of it is the triangle offense. It's an equal opportunity offense and very rarely does one player average huge assist numbers in it. That's why Michael averaged mostly between 5-6 APG once Phil Jackson got the triangle fully implemented in Chicago. Even Scottie only had one season where he averaged 7 APG in the triangle. Likewise, he mostly averaged between 5-6 APG. Doesn't mean Kobe is as good as LeBron when it comes to sharing the ball. But you have to realize part of it is because of the triangle.

The main reason I posted was to respond to the idea that a Lakers/Kobe fan is calling out LeBron for not being able to pass to teammates. It just smacks of insecurity.

DeadlyDynasty
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Sometimes a leader must follow and followers must lead. In order to have success in combat, the group must share responsibilities. They must act as a unit. LeBron knows this. And last year with the Cavs proved he knew this. Allowing others to share in the responsibility of leading and winning does not mean LeBron was deferring. LeBron knows how important he is and that's precisely why he can't defer. And by that I mean when it comes to taking over, LeBron knows how impotent he is and that's precisely from a lack of sperm.

tee, pee

:rollin

JamStone
10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't ever recall Iverson being listed as a fantastic passer. LeBron has great court vision and that's a big part of why he averages so many assists. It's not like LeBron's assists are flukes or just a product of him having a bunch of threats on offense.

I'm not sure how much you actually remember of Iverson early in his career, but he was absolutely regarded as a fantastic passer. Iverson had great vision. LeBron has very good court vision. I don't believe that's why he averages so many assists. They're not flukes but they are a product of him basically being put in 40-50 isolations a game on offense where he either scores or is the one directly making the play leading to a scoring opportunity. It's the same for a lot of point guards in the NBA in general. There are a ton of mediocre to good PGs who can average 7-8 APG simply because they have the basketball in their hands so much. Did Avery Johnson have exceptional court vision and have crazy play making skills? Maybe he really did. Well he had seasons where he averaged 7.5, 8.2, 9.6, 7.9, and 7.4 APG. How truly great of a passer is Jason Terry? Well when he was playing primarily PG in Atlanta, he put up a 7.4 APG season. Product of his great court vision or the fact he had the basketball all the time?

I'm more impressed by the passing ability of guys who average 4-5 APG who aren't the primary ball handler and don't dominate the ball so much. Guys like Hedo or Kirilenko or Stephen Jackson or Ginobili. Guys who aren't the main facilitators but can still be very good passers in the limited times they do have play making opportunities. You give most NBA perimeter guys who have any amount of ball handling skill 40-50 iso plays a game to score or be the primary passer, you're going to see the vast majority of them rack up big assist numbers. That doesn't mean LeBron isn't a good passer. Absolutely he is. But let's understand that he handles the ball as much, probably even more, than most PGs in the league. The amount of touches and opportunities to facilitate the offense will go down on the Heat. He will share that with Wade and sometimes Bosh and Mike Miller, who are both capable of making plays for teammates. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see LeBron average around 5 APG.

Either way will probably be effective, right? I mean, even if LeBron brings the ball up all the time, Wade is going to get his. He's too good of a guard not to find ways to score. The point I was making is that LeBron isn't going to suddenly ball hog and kill all the chemistry, because he has never had that kind of a problem on a team even when he didn't have legitimate options to go to.

Didn't say it would be ineffective or bad either way. Simply saying it could go either way. I never suggested LeBron would ball hog or kill chemistry. That wasn't the point of me responding to your other post.

The main reason I posted was to respond to the idea that a Lakers/Kobe fan is calling out LeBron for not being able to pass to teammates. It just smacks of insecurity.

Whatever your reason, I thought it was a weak point. Go back to what I was saying earlier, if you put Kobe in an offensive system where he got 40-50 isolation plays a game for him to either score or be the main passer, he could easily average 7-8 APG. Easily. I actually think Kobe is a fantastic passer. His willingness to do so is another story. The ability is there.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Is that kind of like how you're criticizing a guy who's averaging ~7.5 assists after his rookie season and 8.6 last year vs a guy who's never had a single season of over 6.0 APG and scored 81 in a single game, even when he had one of the most dominant post players of all-time on his team?

Lakers fans are seriously the most insecure people in all of sports. You're basically a combination of Bill Plaschke and Jay Mariotti, depending on if someone is asking you about the Lakers or any other team. You go from slob-knobbing homers to the most cynical spiteful haters on the planet in about a quarter of a second. This is also the most obvious sign of bandwagon fans, for what it's worth. :lol

ok..this has nothing to do with what i posted, but ok. lol

SanAntonioHeat
10-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Welcome!

Steve Kerr
10-06-2010, 06:24 PM

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 06:32 PM
How about posting the full article in context:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebronheat100610

SanAntonioHeat
10-06-2010, 06:36 PM
How about posting the full article in context:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebronheat100610

damn right. DPG representin!

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Trying wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to hard. This could be funny if you did it properly. But much like looks, you are either born with it or not.

Giuseppe
10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Enjoy the ride.

None of that crapola. We're all toein' the same line.

Chop, chop.

TheHeatIsOn
10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
sons i wish we see you guys in the playoffs. It'll be a easier compared to Boston. You think Bynum, Gasol and Odom are worried about Joel Anthony and Chris Bosh? lol

No but Artest, Kobe and Fisher are worried about Bron and Wade

Koolaid_Man
10-06-2010, 06:53 PM

Kobe's 1 on 1 rant got LeSissy bout ready to meltdown. These idiots may have Chosen to play together but that means little when Lebuns starts getting bigger Cheers, more press coverage, more fans wanting autographs, the players start rallying around LeBuns rather than Wade. D-Wade will melt the fuck down. Plays that used to be called for him will consistently be called for LeSissy. When it becomes clear that Lebuns is taking over the team, Wade will try to wrestle control over him. I don't look for it to happen right away but I do look for it about 2 weeks after All-Star break. Mark my fucking words.

These guys aren't really battle tested. I mean Dallas rolled ova and let Wade pony fuck em...so no real test there. Wade's real true test came at the hands of Boston and Wade always pull up with an injury during crucial moments...LeBuns quit year after year...losing to Orlando and then Boston...he's failed every test put before him. Bosh is just a sucker ass; pre-historic looking creature. He'll have a decent year as long as he's not gaurding decent bigs. Bosh looked angry out there las night...He looked like he wanted to make Lebun's proud...and that's not a recipe for a champ.

TheMACHINE
10-06-2010, 07:08 PM
No but Artest, Kobe and Fisher are worried about Bron and Wade

hmm Kobe worried about Wade? lol.

Gasol worried about Bosh? lol

Fisher/Blake worried about Arroyo and Chalmers? lol

Should Odom, Bynum and Ratliff be worried about Joel Anthony, Haslem and Magliore? lol

Phil worry about Spoelstra?

I'll give you Lebron vs Barnes/Artest.