PDA

View Full Version : Eric Neel: Spurs' new go-to guy

MaNuMaNiAc
05-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Spurs' new go-to guy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/dailydime

By Eric Neel, ESPN.com

Duncan got the last shot and the Spurs won the game. Of course he did. Of course they did. He's Tim Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3173). These are his Spurs.

He shot puts that little bank of his and it's money and the Spurs advance, and this is how it goes, how it's gone for years. It's the San Antonio way. Game over. Series over.

Only this time, if you watched closely, it looked a little different. In fact, it looked a lot different. This time, it looked like TD, the eight-time all-NBA man, the rock upon which all things Spurs are built and stand firm, the face of the franchise, the heart of the matter, was most definitely the second option.

Maybe it's too early to say we're seeing the changing of the Alamo guard, but it sure looked like this was Manu Ginobili's play from the get, Manu's ball and Manu's call. Duncan said so himself after the game, said Pop told him to get to the other side of the lane so Ginobili could work to his strong left hand.

The Sonics knew it, too. They stayed trained on him for every one of those last 13.5 seconds. Potapenko got lost on the play because he thought for sure things were drawn up for Ginobili. He and Daniels and the rest of the gang in green and gold played the moment like they never for a moment thought it might come down to one of the 50 greatest players of all time, the dominant, deadly inside presence wearing number 21, doing them in. They played it like they figured it was the three-year Argentine swingman all the way.

And it was, and it didn't look like a set play, either. It had some major freelance in it. They essentially cleared out for him, put themselves in his able hands, like he was Jordan, like Duncan was his Bill Wennington or his Steve Kerr.

And it was absolutely the right call, because Ginobili's a pure baller. He invents opportunities, creates spaces, reads situations. You don't design things for him, you riff off his improvisations.

Consider the sequence with 1:20 to go, when he does a little crossover back-down thing on Daniels down on the right block, looking for all the world like he's trapped, but somehow never giving up the dribble, and then, on a half-beat, finding Duncan coming down the lane for an and-1.

And remember the last play again: If Seattle sags off him a bit, he's a very good bet to hit a winning jumper fading just a bit to his left, and when they stay up on him, he throws a bullet (through the key, below shoulder-level, mind you) to Duncan for the easy banker.

We think of the Spurs and we think of team efficiency and group execution, of discipline and preparation. They're the height of NBA professionalism, off-court and on, and when they win (which they've done more consistently than any other professional sports franchise these last seven years), this is what we talk about. But if they're going to contend for the title in the next two rounds, their chances may hinge on whether they continue to trust in Manu the way they did in Game 6 of the semis in Seattle.

smeagol
05-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Wow!

This guy really likes Manu.

E20
05-20-2005, 07:35 PM
It's great that Ginobili is getting props and everything but, I still think that Duncan is our go to guy.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Manu is great, but he's the second best player on this team, and a distant second at that.

td4mvp21
05-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I think they go to manu alot because duncan has not been at full health at all this year, and i think manu has a better chance of making things happen than an injured ducnan

boutons
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
"said Pop told him to get to the other side of the lane so Ginobili could work to his strong left hand."

As they were setting up for the last play, Tim on was on the RIGHT/wrong side of the lane, clogging Manu's left/driving side.

Pop went ape-shit on the side-lines do his "told him", gesticulating, going air-borne in his suit, almost past mid-court, but NOT Avery-slipping on his butt, for Tim to get the OTHER side of the lane.

:lol :lol

Mark in Austin
05-20-2005, 09:50 PM
As long as Duncan is slowed by the injury (the rest of this season), Manu really is the go-to guy with the game on the line. This isn't the Duncan that systematically destroyed Shaq in 03 - and nobody should expect him to be. We should all be greatful that he isn't a selfish player demanding more touches despite his injury limitations.

rr2418
05-20-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't think it matters anymore who is the go to guy. If you ask Pop, he'll probably say it's Tim. I tend to believe that it would be a good idea if it would be Ginobili, b/c that would create oppertunities for Duncan.

wildbill2u
05-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Hard to see anything wrong with this guy's analysis. It struck me too as I sat watching MANU with the ball at mid-court, dribbing time off the clock. All at once I realized the game was in his hands, they weren't going to Tim as the first option.

Whether this is a permanent change or simply for the one game because of TD's injury and poor shooting night is probably not decided yet by Pop. I doubt he thought of the implications in the heat of battle.

Whatever, it is a comforting feeling to know we have TWO players who can be considered go-to guys in the closing seconds of a tight game--and neither is jealous of the other.

Brutalis
05-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Eric Neele our goto guy? OMG WHO IS HEEEEE

Guru of Nothing
05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Surprise! Basketball is not a two dimensional static game.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2005, 10:59 PM
With 14 seconds to go in a tie game, you aren't going to have your power forward standing at the three point line dribbling the ball*, so it's kind of a retarded notion to say that "Duncan isn't the first option" just because Manu was the one starting the play.

In the game last night I want Manu handling the ball there, simply because he was more effective in the game than Parker was. If Parker's playing well, I want him handling the ball, because it makes Manu more dangerous. Either one of them represent more of a threat in that situation where they can penetrate, pull up or dish. Duncan may still be your first option even if he doesn't have the ball.

*unless his name is Barkley

Solid D
05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Pop saw Utah beat them twice at the end of games this season on the spread iso. Once with Keith McLeod and once with Gordan Giricek. Both times, Okur was positioned there at the right time to collect the rebound in one case, the blocked loose ball in another, and score at the buzzer.

It's a "stuff happens" kind of play and has options that the post-up doesn't have.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Y'all are crazy. This isn't about who is better between Manu and Tim.

This is about who creates a better opportunity to win the end of a game. A guard like Manu with the floor spread gives you infinitely more opportunities (plus he's damn clutch) than a PF with his back to the post 15 feet out.

Some of you act like Duncan's related, chill out.

Put it another way: Shaq was clearly the best player on the Lakers, but Phil still put the ball in Kobe's hands on end of game situations. Why? Because a guard can just create more from the top of the key than a post player can.

It puts a lot more pressure on the D, especially when no one can really stay in front of a guy like Manu with the new rules. So he's either going to get to the rim and score, get fouled, or if the defense reacts to help you're going to end up with someone ridiculously wide open (like Tim was the other night, but it could just as easily have been Bowen or Horry in one of the corners).

And it was, and it didn't look like a set play, either. It had some major freelance in it. They essentially cleared out for him, put themselves in his able hands, like he was Jordan, like Duncan was his Bill Wennington or his Steve Kerr.

This is what I've been bitching about Pop about for three years. If he keeps going this way in this situation, he'll have silenced a major criticism of mine.

Im Here Huckleberry
05-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Y'all are crazy. This isn't about who is better between Manu and Tim.

This is about who creates a better opportunity to win the end of a game. A guard like Manu with the floor spread gives you infinitely more opportunities (plus he's damn clutch) than a PF with his back to the post 15 feet out.

Some of you act like Duncan's related, chill out.

Put it another way: Shaq was clearly the best player on the Lakers, but Phil still put the ball in Kobe's hands on end of game situations. Why? Because a guard can just create more from the top of the key than a post player can.

It puts a lot more pressure on the D, especially when no one can really stay in front of a guy like Manu with the new rules. So he's either going to get to the rim and score, get fouled, or if the defense reacts to help you're going to end up with someone ridiculously wide open (like Tim was the other night, but it could just as easily have been Bowen or Horry in one of the corners).

This is what I've been bitching about Pop about for three years. If he keeps going this way in this situation, he'll have silenced a major criticism of mine.

Your exactly right aggie.
I also think that Tony needs to learn how to take advantage of his time on the court when the ball is in Manu's hands, he could really get some easy baskets if learns to move without the ball.

spurschick
05-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I don't understand why we have to pick "one guy" to be our "best guy". We know Timmy is our MVP, but we also know that we've been able to win games without him. Not easily, of course, but it's been done. We've also won games without Tony and Manu. That being said, we know that losing any one of those three guys right now would be devastating during the playoffs. All three of them have had their moments as clutchtime players, and to pit them against eachother, trying to decide who is the best or who is THE "go-to guy", just puts limits on us. Playing the percentages, I would agree that Manu, lately, has been more reliable in clutchtime, but I really like knowing that it could be Timmy or Tony on any given day.

All this, of course, is IMHO. :spin