PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson with 2nd hardest contract to move

falconqb1234
10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5655204

2. Richard Jefferson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1006), F, San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas)

Age Years Owed pPER 09-10 PER 30 4 $38.9M 12.3 13.1

Few players have experienced a more precipitous drop in value than Jefferson over the past few seasons. After posting a 17.4 PER in 2007-08, his rating dipped to 15.4 in 2008-09 and fell to a career-low 13.1 last season. And in one of the most confounding offseason events in recent NBA history, Jefferson opted out of his deal with San Antonio, thereby leaving $15.2 million on the table in 2010-11, and then promptly signed a four-year deal with the Spurs that will last through his age 33 season.
Most metrics point to Jefferson producing barely above replacement-level next season and, given his age, he's not a good bet to reverse the trend. Bringing him back was a very uncharacteristic signing for one of the shrewdest franchises in the league.

Fabbs
10-06-2010, 05:13 PM
but but but...He's been working out with Popped. :rollin

history2b
10-06-2010, 05:14 PM
but but but...He's been working out with Popped. :rollin

but but but its the best move the franchise could have done under the circumstances....

Blackjack
10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
but but but its the best move the franchise could have done under the circumstances....

But, but, but, but, the money doesn't matter!

anonoftheinternets
10-06-2010, 05:31 PM
but but but two of the above posters have hidden agendas that are as innovative as a rock.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
But, but, but, if you look at the luxury tax money they saved millions of dollars. Well, they actually spent ten million dollars more to lock him here for three years, but it's somehow a great money-saving move for the front office, and isn't that what the NBA is all about?

Ditty
10-06-2010, 05:41 PM
He will be a nice expering contract in 3 years

I'm really confident RJ's numbers will be around 15 to 16 this year and will be the 4th leading scorer on the team which of course I'll take that

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
One good year from Jefferson and this is all meaningless.

history2b
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM

but but but keeping Jefferson makes us contenders! LA Miami here we come!!! Jefferson is going to take you down!

Obstructed_View
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Actually he's likely to be here for at least three and maybe four years. I'd like to see more than one good year from him. Do we really have to set the bar that low for someone making so much money?

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Actually he's likely to be here for at least three and maybe four years. I'd like to see more than one good year from him. Do we really have to set the bar that low for someone making so much money?

The point was, if Jefferson has a good year, his contract will not be as difficult to move. It's only a lot of money when you consider the perception left around the league of his " off" year with the Spurs, but if you look at the previous year with the Bucks combined with a possible "turn around" year with the Spurs, and that perception will change.
He doesn't make that much money for a lottery team in need of a good wing.

but but but keeping Jefferson makes us contenders! LA Miami here we come!!! Jefferson is going to take you down!

O_V gets a pass, but you are too stupid to explain anything to.

history2b
10-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Lol, that's how bad it is huh?

4 year contract and all you need is "one good year" and that will take care of everything for you?

Good luck getting that "good year" out of him regardless.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
One of the worst NBA contracts in the last 10 years, TBH..

history2b
10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
The point was, if Jefferson has a good year, his contract will not be as difficult to move. It's only a lot of money when you consider the perception left around the league of his " off" year with the Spurs, but if you look at the previous year with the Bucks combined with a possible "turn around" year with the Spurs, and that perception will change.

O_V gets a pass, but you are too stupid to explain anything to.

Nothing to explain to me oh so bright one.

BlackMagic believes that re-signing Jefferson was key in keeping the Spurs title hopes alive. :lmao:lmao:lmao

history2b
10-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Absolutely.

And the funny thing is that every bad contract actually gets worse each passing year. Right now, this is the best the deal is ever going to look. Imagine in 2014 when RJ is 34 years old, nursing a slew of injuries averaging 3.4 minutes per game and making $11 million. Should be great since this was the best that the Spurs could do under the circumstance.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Jefferson is going to have a nice season.

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM

4 year contract and all you need is "one good year" and that will take care of everything for you?

That's the 2nd time you referenced the same quote without understanding it.

Jefferson having a good year this season is not out of the realm of possibility. I would say it's fairly probable.

Ditty
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Absolutely.

And the funny thing is that every bad contract actually gets worse each passing year. Right now, this is the best the deal is ever going to look. Imagine in 2014 when RJ is 34 years old, nursing a slew of injuries averaging 3.4 minutes per game and making $11 million. Should be great since this was the best that the Spurs could do under the circumstance.

$11 million expiring contract is not bad tbh we might just trade it for another contract like we did last season or just let it expire and sign john wall,evan turner and derick favors in the summer of 2014 :lol

Bruno
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Jefferson having a contract hard to move isn't a drawback given that Spurs aren't trying to move him.

ChuckD
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM

1. Eddy Curry
2. Kandi Man
3. Agent 0, post surgery
4. B-Diddy, Clips
5. Jerome James
6. Peja
7. Brian Cardinal
8. Elton Brand, Philly
9. Maggette, GS
10. Biedrens, GS

These are all either attitude guys or the chronically injured. RJ is neither.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
- "One of" isn't limited to 10 contracts..

- The logic behind signing a 30+ year old Jefferson to his current contract makes less sense than most, if not all of those guys on that list..the majority of those guys were coming off good years and potentially entering their primes, while Jefferson is coming off a poor year and is clearly past his prime..

Baseline
10-06-2010, 06:59 PM
1. Eddy Curry
2. Kandi Man
3. Agent 0, post surgery
4. B-Diddy, Clips
5. Jerome James
6. Peja
7. Brian Cardinal
8. Elton Brand, Philly
9. Maggette, GS
10. Biedrens, GS

These are all either attitude guys or the chronically injured. RJ is neither.

I'll add five more to this list.

11. Grant Hill's contract with Orlando, I believe for 91M
12. Devean George's 5/25 deal with the Lakers
13. Sasha's 5/25 deal with the Lakers
14. Luke Walton's 5/25 deal with the Lakers
15. Matt Bonner's current contract with the Spurs

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
What Bruno said....The point is moot because the Spurs placed their bets on RJ and they aren't trying to move him. They probably will 2 years from now though and his contract should not be as crappy (meaning it will be less about his game and more about the length of the contract).

Still, a terrible signing overall. Even at 5M less per year, he is not worth anything near the value of his contract.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Again, the logic behind those moves make a lot more sense than the logic behind signing Jefferson..

- Coming off a poor season..
- At the age where most players of his kind start to decline..
- No longer has a niche in the NBA..
- Long-term contract with a lot of $..
- Doesn't fit with the team..
- There was no market for him, no other teams appeared to be interested..

While those deals all turned out to be bad, at least their teams had the correct logic in making the move(for most of them, not all)..

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 07:06 PM

RJ's contract wouldn't hurt quite as much if this one didn't simultaneously exist.

easy7
10-06-2010, 07:21 PM
So the 32 million dollar for 5 years that the Bucks gave Drew Gooden was not on the list? I guess it will not be that hard to move... :lmao

ChuckD
10-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Again, the logic behind those moves make a lot more sense than the logic behind signing Jefferson..

- Coming off a poor season..
- At the age where most players of his kind start to decline..
- No longer has a niche in the NBA..
- Long-term contract with a lot of $..
- Doesn't fit with the team..
- There was no market for him, no other teams appeared to be interested..

While those deals all turned out to be bad, at least their teams had the correct logic in making the move(for most of them, not all)..

Man, if those were girls, I'd say you had a MAJOR case of beer goggles. Gilbert Arenas, post surgery, was a HORRIBLE decision. Same with B-Diddy and his bad wheel.

Jelloisjigglin
10-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll add five more to this list.

11. Grant Hill's contract with Orlando, I believe for 91M
12. Devean George's 5/25 deal with the Lakers
13. Sasha's 5/25 deal with the Lakers
14. Luke Walton's 5/25 deal with the Lakers

It was actually a 6/30 for Walton. 6 years for a bench guy? What a terrible fucking deal that was. Should be in the top 5 on this list.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2010, 08:04 PM

I see where you're coming from, but if "ease of movement" is a consideration, the Spurs could have left things be and had a 15 million dollar expiring sitting here this season. If there's a time that we look back and say "That's when the window slammed shut", it could be when the Spurs spent that kind of money on both Jefferson and Bonner in the same offseason. The new CBA has the potential to render both contracts historically bad.

Russ
10-06-2010, 08:17 PM

:toast

The Truth #6
10-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Bonner's is monetarily less, but he's had more time to prove he can't be trusted to deliver. And so giving him any contract just doesn't make much sense if you're serious about winning. Now if Pop was of the mindset to let him play here and there in the regular season when there is no pressure and then NOT play him in the playoffs, then I could somewhat understand having him around. But as it is, I don't see how he won't be stealing minutes from Blair or Tiago.

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I see where you're coming from, but if "ease of movement" is a consideration, the Spurs could have left things be and had a 15 million dollar expiring sitting here this season. If there's a time that we look back and say "That's when the window slammed shut", it could be when the Spurs spent that kind of money on both Jefferson and Bonner in the same offseason. The new CBA has the potential to render both contracts historically bad.

Hypothetical question: If the Spurs somehow manage to beat the odds and win a championship this season, will the length and value of Jefferson's contract become a non-issue? In other words, if the "all in" strategy actually works and yields the 2011 title, what significance does the Spurs' success over the next 3 years have?

This question is open to everyone.

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Of course not. If the Spurs win, all bets are off on the contract. Unless the Spurs somehow manage to win despite another year of terrible RJ play.

Then, even with a title, the Spurs would look bad for the contract when analyzing in depth.

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Of course not. If the Spurs win, all bets are off on the contract. Unless the Spurs somehow manage to win despite another year of terrible RJ play. Then, even with a title, the Spurs would look bad for the contract when analyzing in depth.

I can't see those two things happening simultaneously, but I see your point, hypothetically speaking. I wouldn't characterize Jefferson as terrible. Inconsistent, non-aggressive and bewildered at times, but not terrible.

rmt
10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Bonner's contract is worse (for the Spurs) than RJ's. The Spurs didn't have much choice with RJ as he's still the only SF on the roster. They would have a big hole if he left and no way to replace him.

Bonner is a proven choker and will take time away from Blair and Splitter. With his contract, he's not going to sit at the end of the bench as he should. I would have preferred Ratliff at vet's min - some interior defense and shot blocking - Spurs have enough offense.

DPG21920
10-06-2010, 09:14 PM
I can't see those two things happening simultaneously, but I see your point, hypothetically speaking. I wouldn't characterize Jefferson as terrible. Inconsistent, non-aggressive and bewildered at times, but not terrible.

When I say "terrible" you have to take it in context. What I mean by that is terrible compared to expectations. Terrible compared to abilities (or at least perceived abilities).

He is not terrible like he should not be in a league, but he played pretty damn bad.

ohmwrecker
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
When I say "terrible" you have to take it in context. What I mean by that is terrible compared to expectations. Terrible compared to abilities (or at least perceived abilities).

I kind of assumed that's what you meant, but it's kind of hard to tell sometimes. The expectations were always attached to the money, which is not entirely fair to Jefferson.

He is not terrible like he should not be in a league, but he played pretty damn bad.

He played pretty damn bad at times, but he also played pretty damn good as well. Like I said, consistency, aggressiveness, awareness. If he can maintain that mantra, the game will come easy.

anonoftheinternets
10-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I kind of assumed that's what you meant, but it's kind of hard to tell sometimes. The expectations were always attached to the money, which is not entirely fair to Jefferson.

He played pretty damn bad at times, but he also played pretty damn good as well. Like I said, consistency, aggressiveness, awareness. If he can maintain that mantra, the game will come easy.

he was pretty pivotal in that one game vs dallas in the playoffs (already better than bonner, so shud not be grouped with him), where he came out agressive established himself and played really well. So hes not a choker and ability is there. Its just that consistency that was eluding him.
Also during the regular season when 2 of the big three were out he played well and scored 28 pts or so during the early part of the season.

Anyway, lets see how this season plays out, i still feel he is clueless about his role/how to mesh .. not so much ability.

vander
10-06-2010, 10:38 PM
if TP gets an extension, the Spurs top 6 contracts would all be bad contracts

think about that

1 through 6: all. bad. contracts.

Man In Black
10-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Jefferson having a contract hard to move isn't a drawback given that Spurs aren't trying to move him.

:flag:

Loading the team for TD at this stage in his career is actually the smart move, not as fiscally responsible as normal, but I'm sure that the FO has this worked out to the penny and will finish this contract, somehow, to their advantage.

Can't always do a backroom deal and get Gasol for Kwame...ya know?

Obstructed_View
10-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Hypothetical question: If the Spurs somehow manage to beat the odds and win a championship this season, will the length and value of Jefferson's contract become a non-issue? In other words, if the "all in" strategy actually works and yields the 2011 title, what significance does the Spurs' success over the next 3 years have?

This question is open to everyone.

It's a fair question, but the Spurs had him this year even if they didn't extend him, so signing him for three years has little impact on this season's success or failure. At worst the Spurs could be coming off a championship and having to re-sign RJ in the offseason. By that rationale, this strategy with RJ needs to result in either more than one title run or, at the very least, one in the next three years.

MaNu4Tres
10-07-2010, 02:05 AM
Spurs gave Malik Rose a deal of 6 years 42 million..

Then turned around and gave Rasho Nesterovic 6 years 48 million the following off-season.

Considering those 2 and a plethora of other factors, such as the notion which the Spurs wouldn't be able to add a significant free agent anyway the next 2 seasons had they simply let Jefferson's deal expire because of the fact that Manu and Tim's contracts are still on the books for 2-3 more seasons-- Jefferson for 4 years/39 million isn't so bad. Especially considering he will only have 2 years remaining when Duncan's current contract comes off the books (when the window is shut) . Meaning in just one year after the window is "closed", his " absurd" contract becomes a valuable expiring contract. Spurs won't get a star in return when this day comes, but what they can get is a young prospect in return along with another expiring contract worth 5-7 million. A 2 for 1 deal like such, which one of the players involved in the trade for Jefferson has more than 1 year left on his contract and the other player involved in the deal for Jefferson has just 1 year left on his contract (expiring) is very reasonable.

eisfeld
10-07-2010, 04:37 AM

Baby Drew says "Hi"

fantasyfootball
10-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Something I don't understand is how so many of us on this board can see bad contracts a mile away but NBA GMs offer them all the time. In the last 10 years, there have probably been 50 contracts that have been absolutely horrendous. Why do teams continue to overpay? The instant these long term, bloated deals are inked, they're like a block of cement tied to the franchise's shoe.

I'll never understand a lot of things about pro basketball but these obviously terrible signings bother me the most. The Spurs have been one of the top teams at driving the hardest bargains and coming away with great contracts but Richard Jefferson and Matt Bonner's deals were really bad.

The big money deals with Allan Houston, Steve Francis, Michael Finley, Rudy Gay, Drew Gooden, Gilbert Arenas, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Larry Hughes, Erick Dampier, Brian Grant, Eddy Curry, Kenyon Martin were/are all obviously horrible. I would think 85% of your common fans could see this but somehow there's always a gm out there that makes the signing - even after seeing the crippling affect these monster contracts have on the franchise.

101A
10-07-2010, 08:49 AM
RJ didn't opt out and re-sign.

He, obviously, had a per-arranged deal with the Spurs to keep them out of the luxury tax. This SAVED the team money, and MADE RJ money; and kept the window open for the Spurs, ever so slightly. As bad as this contract looks - how about paying him $15 million THIS year, AND not having Splitter?

The problem wasn't the contract this summer; it was the trade LAST SUMMER - which at the time looked, if not brilliant, very good.

Killakobe81
10-07-2010, 10:29 AM
RJ's contract wouldn't hurt quite as much if this one didn't simultaneously exist.

This. Great point.

JWest596
10-07-2010, 10:41 AM
The Spurs FO rarely throws money around or away.

Pop and RC always get the benefit of the doubt, they earned this too many times.

Nor I suspect will RJ be a dud under any circumstances. The madness of the methods often later becomes apparent and they again become those "shrewd SOB's" 9 out of ten times.

No RJ judgments til after the season.