PDA

View Full Version : Transition from Utah to Portland has been easy for Wesley Matthews

tlongII
10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/10/trail_blazers_preseason_transi.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/8944702-large.jpg

Plain and simple, Wesley Matthews this preseason has become the talk of the Trail Blazers.

Brandon Roy said he is surprised by Matthews' offense. Coach Nate McMillan said Matthews has been so good he has a hard time keeping him off the court. And Blazers fans, who might have blanched at the relatively unknown second-year player getting $34 million in the free agent market this summer, have given Matthews some of the loudest ovations in two Rose Garden appearances.

So when the Blazers play at Utah tonight, forgive the Jazz and their fans if are a little surprised at the buzz the former Jazz wing has created in Portland

"In Utah's defense, they didn't know," Matthews said. "I didn't even know that I was going to be able to do this."

It's not that Matthews didn't have confidence in himself to make a big impression on his new team. He knew he was more than just a defensive-minded player and his history told him that he always improved exponentially from one year to the next

"I've always been the type who has gotten better, gotten stronger, with time," said Matthews, who is 23. "You know, last year was a surprise to people. And this year is going to be an even bigger one."

What has surprised Matthews is how quickly, and perfectly, everything seems to have come together for him in Portland. He has forged an instant connection with Roy, to the point where the All-Star said he can see becoming as close off the court to Matthews as he was to recently departed Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster. And McMillan said Matthews has played so well that he has been afforded measurable respect from his teammates, who don't blink an eye when he challenges them in practice.

"It feels like a very, very, very, VERY good fit," Matthews said Tuesday after leading all scorers with 20 points in 20 minutes of an exhibition victory over the Clippers.

He has stood out on the court, both in appearance and play. He is a solid 6-5, 220 pounds, but moves fluidly and plays with a determined passion. While he was seldom relied on offensively while averaging 9.4 points as a Jazz rookie last season, Matthews has been aggressive and dynamic with the Blazers, hitting three-pointers and creating his own shot.

In fact, McMillan likes his versatility so much that he envisions Matthews playing point guard, shooting guard and small forward interchangeably throughout the season.

"I really like him on the floor. Really like him on the floor," McMillan said, stressing 'really.' "He knows where to be, how to play. When you ask for experience, this is what you are asking for -- know how. Guys who know how to screen. Know how to cut. He grabbed a couple of big offensive rebounds. He's knocking down shots. What he is doing is filling up the stat sheet."

McMillan admitted that Matthews' play has changed the way he views the team's rotation. Suddenly, Matthews has played his way into the same conversation as Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Andre Miller in terms of getting big minutes. And really, nobody can argue against it.

"When you re playing like that, what can a teammate say?" McMillan said. "You got to have that guy on the floor."

Giuseppe
10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Having Sloan grind you down to a nub can't be fun.

Killakobe81
10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2010/10/trail_blazers_preseason_transi.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/blazers_impact/photo/8944702-large.jpg

Plain and simple, Wesley Matthews this preseason has become the talk of the Trail Blazers.

Brandon Roy said he is surprised by Matthews' offense. Coach Nate McMillan said Matthews has been so good he has a hard time keeping him off the court. And Blazers fans, who might have blanched at the relatively unknown second-year player getting $34 million in the free agent market this summer, have given Matthews some of the loudest ovations in two Rose Garden appearances.

So when the Blazers play at Utah tonight, forgive the Jazz and their fans if are a little surprised at the buzz the former Jazz wing has created in Portland

"In Utah's defense, they didn't know," Matthews said. "I didn't even know that I was going to be able to do this."

It's not that Matthews didn't have confidence in himself to make a big impression on his new team. He knew he was more than just a defensive-minded player and his history told him that he always improved exponentially from one year to the next

"I've always been the type who has gotten better, gotten stronger, with time," said Matthews, who is 23. "You know, last year was a surprise to people. And this year is going to be an even bigger one."

What has surprised Matthews is how quickly, and perfectly, everything seems to have come together for him in Portland. He has forged an instant connection with Roy, to the point where the All-Star said he can see becoming as close off the court to Matthews as he was to recently departed Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster. And McMillan said Matthews has played so well that he has been afforded measurable respect from his teammates, who don't blink an eye when he challenges them in practice.

"It feels like a very, very, very, VERY good fit," Matthews said Tuesday after leading all scorers with 20 points in 20 minutes of an exhibition victory over the Clippers.

He has stood out on the court, both in appearance and play. He is a solid 6-5, 220 pounds, but moves fluidly and plays with a determined passion. While he was seldom relied on offensively while averaging 9.4 points as a Jazz rookie last season, Matthews has been aggressive and dynamic with the Blazers, hitting three-pointers and creating his own shot.

In fact, McMillan likes his versatility so much that he envisions Matthews playing point guard, shooting guard and small forward interchangeably throughout the season.

"I really like him on the floor. Really like him on the floor," McMillan said, stressing 'really.' "He knows where to be, how to play. When you ask for experience, this is what you are asking for -- know how. Guys who know how to screen. Know how to cut. He grabbed a couple of big offensive rebounds. He's knocking down shots. What he is doing is filling up the stat sheet."

McMillan admitted that Matthews' play has changed the way he views the team's rotation. Suddenly, Matthews has played his way into the same conversation as Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Andre Miller in terms of getting big minutes. And really, nobody can argue against it.

"When you re playing like that, what can a teammate say?" McMillan said. "You got to have that guy on the floor."

Could be a great pickup. With roy's knee issues a good backup wing is crucial.

balli
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I wish Wes Matthews the very best going forward. I also hope that the rest of the Blazers suffer career ending injuries throughout the course of this season and that Paul Allen chokes to death on his honey glazed foie gras tonight.

DeadlyDynasty
10-07-2010, 11:00 AM
I wish Wes Matthews the very best going forward. I also hope that the rest of the Blazers suffer career ending injuries throughout the course of this season and that Paul Allen chokes to death on his honey glazed foie gras tonight.

You don't really have to wish for that, it's an annual occurrence there...