PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Stats and Thoughts

timvp
10-07-2010, 01:59 PM
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4104/scrimmage1.jpg

Tim Duncan
Though still in good shape, Tim Duncan looked like he added a bit of bulk during the offseason. The added muscle should help Duncan better hold his position down low, which was at times a weakness last season. On the court, there were few surprises. Duncan didn't have much rust. His passing, especially, was in midseason form. He played more out on the floor than usual, a tactic that will likely continue into the season to help limit the wear and tear on his body.

DeJuan Blair
It's obvious that DeJuan Blair sliced his body fat percentage during the summer. He looks a lot slimmer than last season and quicker in his movements. Offensively, Blair used a new teardrop shot in the lane and also had better form on his jump hook. More importantly, he showed some range on his jumper -- even knocking down a 20-footer from the baseline. However, Blair still has a lack of arc on his shot and bend in his knees. Can he hit his jumper consistently? We'll see. On defense, Blair gambled a lot but was able to make things happen. His overall game was somewhat out of control. We'll see if Pop lets him play this style going forward.

Alonzo Gee
Alonzo Gee started at small forward but he appears small for the position. His athleticism helps him make up some of the difference but the length of NBA players gives him trouble. To make the Spurs, Gee is going to have to finish better around the basket than he did in the scrimmage. That said, I was surprised by his ability to penetrate the lane and quickly make the right pass. That ability, especially if he proves to be able to finish at the rim, would make him a useful offensive weapon. Rebounding was also a strength, which is usually the case with Gee.

Garrett Temple
To put it bluntly, Garrett Temple is going to have to do more. Although he has a great chance to make the team based off of how well he played in spot minutes last year, he was underwhelming in the scrimmage. Offensive is where he struggled the most. His ballhandling was shaky, he was indecisive in his decision-making and he was hesitant to look for his own shot. Defensively, Temple was better but he could have done a better job of utilizing his length to cause disruption.

George Hill
George Hill continues to grow as a player. He's getting more and more comfortable finishing at the rim. I like how he alternated using his teardrop and trying to draw contact. Hill's leadership on the court was good to see, as was his growing confidence in his midrange game. Defensively, Hill was tuned in and playing hard. The only downside to his play in the scrimmage was his continued inability to create plays for others off the pick-and-roll.

Gary Neal
After a very poor first half, Gary Neal played better in the final two quarters. The combination of being small and not too athletic will make it difficult to play shooting guard in the NBA ... but Neal looks up to the challenge. He played with intensity on defense and wasn't timid on the offensive end. Neal is going to have to shoot a lot better to earn minutes. In preseason action, we will get a good idea of Neal's future. If he hits for a high percentage and defends adequately enough, he can earn a spot in the rotation out of the gates.

Bobby Simmons
I thought Bobby Simmons helped his chances of making the team. He looks to be in the best shape he's been in for a few years. He showed the ability to play both forward positions and seemed to fit nicely on the offensive end. He still has a lot of work to do on his defense but it appears as if he might have a few drops of gas left in his tank.

Marcus Cousin
For a project big who has virtually no shot of making the team, Marcus Cousin played well. He rebounded extremely well and wasn't a disaster on the offensive end. Judging how he played in the scrimmage, Cousin would be a good addition to the Toros roster.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3826/scrimmage2.jpg

Antonio McDyess
Antonio McDyess doesn't start trying until the All-Star break ... so you can just imagine how much he was going through the motions in this scrimmage. He had a couple of hustle plays but McDyess was mostly in it for the exercise.

Matt Bonner
At this point, Matt Bonner isn't going to show us anything new. He was what he is on the offensive end. Defensively, he was active and moving his feet well, although his lack of rebounding was painfully obvious at times. Then again, he was going against Duncan and Blair for rebounds -- hardly a fair fight.

Richard Jefferson
The good news: Richard Jefferson wasn't afraid to hoist three-pointers. The bad news: Richard Jefferson wasn't close to making any of his three-point attempts. He ran the court well, finished well and even made some good passes ... but if Jefferson doesn't space the court with his jumper, he'll remain a poor fit on this roster. Fitness-wise, Jefferson is in much better shape. He's not as chunky as he was last season, which appeared to make him a tad bit quicker.

Manu Ginobili
For the most part, Manu Ginobili was taking it easy. He spent most of his time shooting three-pointers and step-back jumpers. The good news is when he ventured into the paint, the explosion in his legs was impressive. Defensively, he was able to stay in front of his man -- another good sign of his readiness at this early point of the season.

Tony Parker
Tony Parker looked slimmer and quicker than he did last season. His added speed was most obvious on the defensive end, where Parker flied around causing havoc. On offense, he got to the basket with ease and made a couple of very good passes. Additionally, the arc on his jumper was slightly more prominent than usual. A few times Parker tried to do too much on both ends. With a contract on the line, hopefully that doesn't become a pattern this season.

James Gist
I was happy to see that James Gist was the most active player on the court. He ran the court extremely well, moved his feet on defense and seemed to always be in the thick of the action. Gist's size and athleticism gives him a chance to be a prototypical energy bigman in the NBA. That said, he sometimes has trouble using his athleticism to his advantage. Gist needs to finish better around the hoop and harness his aggression on the defensive end. All in all, it was a good first step for Gist.

James Anderson
Though he didn't play poorly, James Anderson has a long ways to go to earn minutes. First, he needs to get in better shape. After missing most of the summer with a hamstring injury, Anderson wasn't moving too well -- especially laterally. He also needs to make faster decisions on both ends and play with more purpose. Since Anderson probably projects as a below average NBA athlete, he needs to compensate with aggression. Preseason will give us a better idea of how close he is to figuring it all out.

Curtis Jerrells
Just like in summer league, Curtis Jerrells showed that he can shoot from the outside -- both on the catch and off the dribble -- and make the simple, correct pass. Jerrells is still more of a shooting guard than a point guard but he seems to be progressing in the right direction. Defensively, his intensity was inconsistent. To make the team, that will have to change.

Kirk Penney
If Kirk Penney is to make the team, it will be by the virtue of his outside jumper. I was impressed by what I saw at the scrimmage. His release is a lot faster than it was a few years ago and he has no hesitation. If he makes more than he misses in the preseason, it'd be difficult for the Spurs to let him go ... especially considering their need for perimeter marksmanship.

timvp
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM
BTW, you can watch the Spurs scrimmage here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/101003_practice.html).

ElNono
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM

elemento
10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info timvp :toast

duncan228
10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Appreciate the thoughts timvp. Been a long off season, happy to see the team and SpursTalk kicking into gear. :toast

benefactor
10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the write up man. I have been too busy over the past few days to watch the scrimmage so your recap is appreciated.

Spurs Brazil
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
thanks timvp

Libri
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Richard Jefferson
The good news: Richard Jefferson wasn't afraid to hoist three-pointers. The bad news: Richard Jefferson wasn't close to making any of his three-point attempts. He ran the court well, finished well and even made some good passes ... but if Jefferson doesn't space the court with his jumper, he'll remain a poor fit on this roster. Fitness-wise, Jefferson is in much better shape. He's not as chunky as he was last season, which appeared to make him a tad bit quicker.

RJ can't fall back on the "I'm new to the system" or "it's my first season" excuses anymore.

DesignatedT
10-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Simmons looked like the best candidate at the backup 3 so far but we still have a long time to go. I'm pretty confused on what's going to happen with temple and Neal. Gist was active but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a NBA rotation player IMO

DJB
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Hill needs to become a better passer/playmaker and then his game will be complete.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice write-up...gets me excited about the upcoming season. :tu

jjktkk
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the thread timvp. :flag:

bigdog
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
RJ can't fall back on the "I'm new to the system" or "it's my first season" excuses anymore.

The thing is, RJ didn't look lost at all, and his defense wasn't too bad, either. He just wasn't hitting his jumpers. I liked his decision making for the most part, and he seemed more active overall. I also saw somewhat different form in his shooting. If he can hit some of those jumpshots, he'll be alright.

TDMVPDPOY
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
ghill3 8/8 ftm ...trade his ass

TinTin
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
THANKIES! :huddle:

Brazil
10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
timvp thread !!!!!!!!!!!! :toast:flag:

thanks

Solid D
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM
SpursTalk's quality quotient just got a boost. Sup timvp?

spectator
10-07-2010, 05:13 PM
in the first qtr/half, rj was making the right plays. in the 4th qtr - around the 101 minute mark IIRC - he had a bunch of bad plays one after the other:

- tried to take blair off the dribble; blair stole the ball causing the turnover
- botched defensive play - trying too hard to recover from his previous mistake
- (not sure if this is exactly the next play or several down the road) - badly, badly, badly missed a 3 pts shot

let's hope that rj gets into a rhythm so that he plays like he did in the first half. he is not one of the 3 top options any more (like he was most of his career) - and depending who the 5th starter is - he might be the 5th option b/c if either splitter or blair play as many minutes as rj, they could easily score over 12 pts/game on pick n rolls.

SenorSpur
10-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the writeup. For some reason, I've been bypassing this thread. After several days, I finally opened it up. Great information to pour over. Much appreciated.

TD 21
10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Simmons looked like the best candidate at the backup 3 so far but we still have a long time to go. I'm pretty confused on what's going to happen with temple and Neal. Gist was active but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a NBA rotation player IMO

I'm not surprised. Even though he's far from ideal, it made sense all along to have a veteran competing for that spot, rather than handing it to Gee. At least with Simmons, he was a surefire NBA player and at 30, might still be an NBA player, if not a surefire one. Gee has yet to prove that he's an NBA player, let alone a surefire one and as such, shouldn't have been handed an uncontested spot.

Limited as Simmons is, with his experience, size and shooting, I expect him to make this team, so long as he's within' sniffing distance of adequate defensively.

Speaking of Gee, he looks to be about 6-4 1/2.

On a related note, I saw Neal side by side with Hill and he was the exact same height, which means he's 6-2.

DPG21920
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Spurs have a major, major problem at SF, both offensively and defensively as things stand today.

8FOR!3
10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Spurs have a major, major problem at SF, both offensively and defensively as things stand today.

No shit. Alonzo Gee looks like mini-me out there and Bobby Simmons sucks. We're fucked at Small Forward right now.