PDA

View Full Version : Pop: Spurs to limit roster to 13 or 14

Spurs Brazil
10-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Pop: Spurs to limit roster to 13 or 14
By Mike Monroe on Oct 7,
"We do (have tougher decision to make)," he said. "One thing, we're going to limit our numbers this year. We're not going to carry as many people as we have in the past. That makes you evaluate things a little bit more quickly, but hopefully correctly.'

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/pop-spurs-to-li.html

Big P
10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm pretty sure we will be carrying 15 come playoff time.

ducks
10-07-2010, 11:51 PM
yes 15th men at one tim are now tearing the league up

how many of them can you name?

Leonard Curse
10-08-2010, 12:14 AM
good one ducks! one for ducks ppl

lurker23
10-08-2010, 12:19 AM
So basically what we've been saying for a couple of months now. The Spurs are going to try to stay under the luxury tax, and to do so they need to stay with 13 or 14 players.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 12:20 AM
So basically what we've been saying for a couple of months now. The Spurs are going to try to stay under the luxury tax, and to do so they need to stay with 13 or 14 players.

Yup. Who wants to pay several million for IR fodder?

Bruno
10-08-2010, 07:58 AM
If the training camp trend continue, cutting the roster to 13 shouldn't be a tough choice to make for Pop. In fact, what should be tougher is to find two good players for the 12th and 13th spots. I'm not sure Spurs have 2 NBA worthy players among their non-guaranteed guys. And when you add that some of the players with a guaranteed contract (Anderson and Neal) have sucked so far, Spurs could have a huge depth problem on the perimeter.

mountainballer
10-08-2010, 08:26 AM
If the training camp trend continue, cutting the roster to 13 shouldn't be a tough choice to make for Pop. In fact, what should be tougher is to find two good players for the 12th and 13th spots. I'm not sure Spurs have 2 NBA worthy players among their non-guaranteed guys. And when you add that some of the players with a guaranteed contract (Anderson and Neal) have sucked so far, Spurs could have a huge depth problem on the perimeter.

currently it seems as if #8,#9 and #10 are the areas of concern. those players will be regular rotation guys, but if Anderson and Neal suck, we will have a big hole at either back up SG and back up SF.
a trade for a player like Chandler or Rush (maybe even Dahntay Jones?) looks more and more inevitable.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Gerald Wallace too.

Well he was a 15th man when he was like 14 years old in Sacramento.

dunkman
10-08-2010, 08:57 AM
The Spurs have 11 fully guaranteed contracts:

TP / Hill
Anderson / Manu / Neal
RJ
Dice / Blair / Bonner
Duncan / Splitter

From there, I think the team needs a third PG and a backup SF.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Anthony Tolliver is probably the example you'd be familiar with. Granted he was in Golden State's system, but he still produced at a good rate.

To be fair Tolliver was giving every opportunity and was only cut when it was apparently he could not hit a jumper if his life depended on it in a Spurs uni.

Bruno
10-08-2010, 09:23 AM
currently it seems as if #8,#9 and #10 are the areas of concern. those players will be regular rotation guys, but if Anderson and Neal suck, we will have a big hole at either back up SG and back up SF.
a trade for a player like Chandler or Rush (maybe even Dahntay Jones?) looks more and more inevitable.

Yep, it doesn't look good for the moment even if it's too soon to push the panic button.
Let's hope someone pans out because doing a trade won't be easy and will even be nearly impossible if Spurs are committed at staying below the tax.

ohmwrecker
10-08-2010, 10:32 AM
He spent a year at alabama and was with the Kings for 3 years but hardly got rotation minutes. As soon as he got to the Bobcats and played well he became a very coveted player. A similar thing could happen to an athletic Alabama player the Spurs have, it might not.

Antonio McDyess?

Seriously, though . . . why didn't Gee play last night? I haven't read anything about an injury which leaves two possibilities: He is a sure thing to make the roster, or he is involved in an impending trade . . . what else?

mountainballer
10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Antonio McDyess?

Seriously, though . . . why didn't Gee play last night? I haven't read anything about an injury which leaves two possibilities: He is a sure thing to make the roster, or he is involved in an impending trade . . . what else?

he is the next to go? (very unlikely)

impending trade? Dice didn't play as well. :stirpot:
currently Dice is our one and only tradeable player with a non rookie contract outside Tim and Tony.

MaNu4Tres
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
he is the next to go? (very unlikely)

impending trade? Dice didn't play as well. :stirpot:
currently Dice is our one and only tradeable player with a non rookie contract outside Tim and Tony.

Dice and Gee will get a lot of run next game, unless they are hurt (which I don't think is the case).

Hard to get everyone in a preseason game, especially with the camp invitees all eligible to play.

Giuseppe
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
yes 15th men at one tim are now tearing the league up

how many of them can you name?

http://fantastiksports.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/bruce-bowen.jpg?w=298&h=367
Can't think of any!

lurker23
10-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Dice and Gee will get a lot of run next game, unless they are hurt (which I don't think is the case).

Hard to get everyone in a preseason game, especially with the camp invitees all eligible to play.

Once again, MaNu4Tres says what I'm thinking. Nothing to worry about here, folks. I'd prefer they give players 20 minutes in alternating games, rather than prevent anyone from getting into a rhythm by trying to get everyone 10 minutes in every preseason game.

mountainballer
10-14-2010, 10:12 AM
tonights game should be somehow crucial for the bubble guys. this might be the last game when those guys get some minutes. (especially when some of the regular players don't even travel with the team)
in the last 3 games Pop will work with the regular rotation.
right now from the guys with the non guaranteed contracts only Jerrells looks to be a lock. (would bring the roster to 12)

but Spurs might still keep Gee and Temple for some more weeks as potential trade filler. (November 25th is the date when the next 100K from Gee's contract would become guaranteed, plenty of time till then)
this would mean that Gist is the next to go. I also don't see a reason to keep Bobby Simmons. Cousin might survive some more days. (or he is gone the moment Tiago is ready to play)

btw. waivers. reportedly Danny Green will be waived soon. not that he has ever looked like a NBA player since he was drafted by the Cavs 2009, (in the preseason he looked horrible), but someone will mention that this board was pretty high on him before the 2009 draft, b/c as a college player he looked a lot like a player, who fits the typical Spurs role player profile.

biziofromdowntown
10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Gist will be kept, belive me.

yavozerb
10-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Why do you think this? I think he is far from a lock in my opinion.

bigdog
10-14-2010, 11:52 AM

I doubt it. They'd keep Cousin over Gist, IMO.

Ditty
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM

gist has alot of pontential, but I think his offense game needs to get alot better and not be as wild so I hope he plays for the toros this year and could make the team next year if he continues getting better offensively and stays or even gets better on the defense side which has been great.

biziofromdowntown
10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Why do you think this? I think he is far from a lock in my opinion.

Not for sure, i mean...he will be not the first waves, he'll be cut after Temple and Cusin.

ChumpDumper
10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
So I shouldn't believe you.

mountainballer
10-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Jerrells gone, roster at 16.

btw. Spurs don't need to cut down the roster to their goal of 13 or 14 immediately.
they might just cut one more player (IMO it will be Cousin) to get down to 15 and then for example wait till November 25th, that's the date when next 100K of Gee's contract become guaranteed.
however, the trade of Jerrells might even have secured the spot of Gee for some weeks, because he and Temple remain the only possible trade filler for small trades over the next weeks.

about Gist. some days ago i thought he will be the next cut. if the rumors about Partizan are true it might happen soon, but if not, I think they will keep him over Simmons.
I guess it's kind of general agreement that neither looked even close the be a helpful part of the roster, even not as a 3rd stringer.
so, considering roster quality it's meaningless who you keep. the difference is, that Gist MIGHT have some upside and might become a NBA player down the road, meanwhile Simmons is just done.
and (other than Simmons) Gist CAN actually help the Toros.

Texas_Ranger
10-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I gues they'll keep Simmons. So Gee and Gist will go.

ohmwrecker
10-18-2010, 09:07 AM
I gues they'll keep Simmons. So Gee and Gist will go.

If they keep 14 Gee will stay over Gist, but I don't think they are very high on either one. Cousin should go to Austin.

mountainballer
10-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Cousin should go to Austin.

yes. but not on a roster spot. (same could be said for Gist)

another scenario: Spurs cut Gist, Gee, Cousin and Simmons and sign one the other teams waivers.
for example: Rockets just waived 4 players. (Antonio Anderson, Mike Harris, Alexander Johnson, Jerel McNeal)
what about Mike Harris?
yes, he is undersized, more a PF than SF, can't shoot etc.
but isn't he better than either of the 4 mentioned Spurs players?
couldn't find his niche in Houston, where they have about 5 or 6 PFs with guaranteed contracts. for the Spurs he wouldn't solve the back up SF question, but he would be a true combo forward, who could defend the big SFs. neither Jefferson, Simmons, Gist look to be a good option for that role.

Latarian Milton
10-19-2010, 07:59 AM
as long as all your players stay healthy, a 13-man rotation will be well enough and work fine. even if you get a few of them injured, it wouldn't cost too much to sign a FA on 10-day short deals. the 14th or 15th player on your roster ain't too much better than a d-leaguer imho, and ain't breaking into the rotation very often tbh.

Bruno
10-19-2010, 11:05 AM
If I were Spurs FO, I would waive everybody except Gee and Temple to start the season with 13 players.

Gee would only be kept because a part of his salary is guaranteed. When that guaranteed part would have been paid to him (around mid November), I would waive him and try new player(s) for the 13th spot.

Spurs have a little financial flexibility under the tax. I rather see them keeping that flexibility for later in the season than using it on Bobby Simmons.

ace3g
10-19-2010, 12:44 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Pop confirms after practice spurs thinking 13 for roster, not 14. Cuts are gonnabe vicious. #spurs

Spurs Brazil
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
If I were Spurs FO, I would waive everybody except Gee and Temple to start the season with 13 players.

Gee would only be kept because a part of his salary is guaranteed. When that guaranteed part would have been paid to him (around mid November), I would waive him and try new player(s) for the 13th spot.

Spurs have a little financial flexibility under the tax. I rather see them keeping that flexibility for later in the season than using it on Bobby Simmons.

agree. I liked the idea of bring Simmons to camp to see if he'd have something left, since he doesn't cut him go with Gee/Temple

Cessation
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Gist waived.

TD 21
10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Once Gee and Cousin are inevitably waived, I suspect the Spurs will attempt to convince them to sign with the Toros.

Cousin, I think it's safe to say he's not going to receive any NBA interest.

Gee might. The Wizards liked him last season and didn't want to lose him at the time, only the Spurs outbid them for his services. They need more depth on the wings, so he could get a look. Another option could be the Nuggets, who need more depth on the wings.

lurker23
10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Gist waived.

Roster down to 15.

Most likely scenario:

Spurs keep Temple, with a chance he'll be eventually sent to Austin.

Spurs waive Cousin.

The Spurs then have to choose between Simmons and Gee.

Solid D
10-19-2010, 04:25 PM
None of the 13-18 impressed, other than Jerrells (except for his lack of offensive PG floor mgmt skills).

Suggestion: Watch, with hope, perchance the Heat waive Patrick Beverly and pick him up or perhaps look for a veteran PG with enough saavy to check smaller, quicker PGs. It's a hole the Spurs must plug in order to contend with the favorites.

TD 21
10-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Roster down to 15.

Most likely scenario:

Spurs keep Temple, with a chance he'll be eventually sent to Austin.

Spurs waive Cousin.

The Spurs then have to choose between Simmons and Gee.

It's abundantly clear that Simmons will make the team and Gee won't.

None of the 13-18 impressed, other than Jerrells (except for his lack of offensive PG floor mgmt skills).

Suggestion: Watch, with hope, perchance the Heat waive Patrick Beverly and pick him up or perhaps look for a veteran PG with enough saavy to check smaller, quicker PGs. It's a hole the Spurs must plug in order to contend with the favorites.

A lot of teams have that problem, including the Lakers and it didn't stop them from winning championships. The rules being the way they are, very few players even have a chance at slowing down lightning quick PG's, it's got to be more of a team wide thing. Forcing them into help, trapping and rotating, etc. And rim protection is a must.

Besides, it's not like Beverely would be in the playoff rotation anyway (yeah, I know, I can't say it with certainty, but I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb, either). Come the playoffs, I expect virtually every back court minute to go to Parker, Ginobili and Hill. If they're in peak form, then the Spurs will have the best back court in the league.

To me, a wing defender is much more important than someone who can defend lightning quick PG's.

SequSpur
10-19-2010, 06:33 PM

Really? The spurs don't need a pg. They need bigs still...if they can't win with parker, hill or manu then wtf is some waived scrub gonna do? Lmao

Solid D
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
It's abundantly clear that Simmons will make the team and Gee won't.

A lot of teams have that problem, including the Lakers and it didn't stop them from winning championships. The rules being the way they are, very few players even have a chance at slowing down lightning quick PG's, it's got to be more of a team wide thing. Forcing them into help, trapping and rotating, etc. And rim protection is a must.

Besides, it's not like Beverely would be in the playoff rotation anyway (yeah, I know, I can't say it with certainty, but I don't think I'm exactly going out on a limb, either). Come the playoffs, I expect virtually every back court minute to go to Parker, Ginobili and Hill. If they're in peak form, then the Spurs will have the best back court in the league.

To me, a wing defender is much more important than someone who can defend lightning quick PG's.

I'm tired of talking about the Spurs needing a wing defender. Of course the Spurs need a wing defender. I'm tired of talking about the Spurs needing a Big to help defend the lane. There are holes, not 1 hole. The Spurs have not effectively protected the rim and played good team defense beyond a game or two in at least 3 years.

If the Spurs aren't going to play great helping, team defense and they aren't going to get some guys that can defend one-one-one in iso situations, whether wing or playmaker, then they won't contend againt the real favorites (Spurs aren't in that group). Old Steve Nash carved up George Hill (watch a game or read a playoff box score, Sequ). He'll do the same with Garrett Stone Temple.

Why Patrick Beverly? He is another tool in the matchup tool belt and he will rebound when guys like Matt Bonner are in there. This kid has a rebounding gift for a 6'1" guard, plus he can defend decently, get to the line and make a shot.

There are holes to fill and camp has done nothing to do that, so far.

TD 21
10-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm tired of talking about the Spurs needing a wing defender. Of course the Spurs need a wing defender. I'm tired of talking about the Spurs needing a Big to help defend the lane. There are holes, not 1 hole. The Spurs have not effectively protected the rim and played good team defense beyond a game or two in at least 3 years.

If the Spurs aren't going to play great helping, team defense and they aren't going to get some guys that can defend one-one-one in iso situations, whether wing or playmaker, then they won't contend againt the real favorites (Spurs aren't in that group). Old Steve Nash carved up George Hill (watch a game or read a playoff box score, Sequ). He'll do the same with Garrett Stone Temple.

Why Patrick Beverly? He is another tool in the matchup tool belt and he will rebound when guys like Matt Bonner are in there. This kid has a rebounding gift for a 6'1" guard, plus he can defend decently, get to the line and make a shot.

There are holes to fill and camp has done nothing to do that, so far.

You're tired of talking about it, so you thought it would be fun to pretend as if there's a bigger issue, just to have something new to talk about or to sound clever?

The way I see it, there's one glaring hole and it's wing defender. Anything else and people are nitpicking. As if this team has a ton of holes and the consensus contenders have none.

So you'd limit the minutes or just not play one of Parker, Ginobili or Hill, altogether, in order to play Beverely, if the Spurs were to play the Suns, Thunder, Rockets, etc.?

Solid D
10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
You're tired of talking about it, so you thought it would be fun to pretend as if there's a bigger issue, just to have something new to talk about or to sound clever?

The way I see it, there's one glaring hole and it's wing defender. Anything else and people are nitpicking. As if this team has a ton of holes and the consensus contenders have none.

So you'd limit the minutes or just not play one of Parker, Ginobili or Hill, altogether, in order to play Beverely, if the Spurs were to play the Suns, Thunder, Rockets, etc.?

Yes, I'm tired of talking about getting a role player to defend the perimeter. I'm tired of talking about RJ having A.D.D. on defense last season. That's a big problem, a glaring hole, that needs addressing. If RJ isn't going to play good team defense, then cut his minutes and give some time to a role player who will pay attention, hustle, dig and close-out like he means it.

This thread is not really about the Big Three. They are still 3 of the top 30 (subjective) players in the NBA.

The game of basketball is about paying attention to the little things and in the NBA, it's about getting it right on players 1-13.

You need to find guys that can, at any point in a game, can go in when a player is having trouble. When a starter needs a breather, gets 2 early fouls, gets injured or just is flat getting beaten, a role player that can get stops or change the game is needed that you can count on.

The Spurs don't have a Steve Kerr or Speedy Claxton to come in for Parker like they used to. They don't have a savvy backup PG to defend small, quick guys in spot minutes while having the offensive ability to contribute on offense, although George is trying to get there. George and Garrett are both a little gangly and are still learning how to play in this league. They don't know the tricks that allow them to play over the screens or play good, balanced position as one-on-one defenders.

Maybe Gary Neal can help fill the hole on defense. He's faster and quicker than Mason was. He's not a particularly great defender but he knows some tricks and doesn't get caught going under screens all the time.

Let's not make this into something other than what it is. My premise is that players 13-18 were not impressive in camp. The Spurs need to pay attention to detail because there is a fine line to be drawn with players as well as in execution of offenses and defenses.

You've got to have guys that can deal with 70 pick and rolls/game when the floor is spread or everyone is lifted so that Aaron Brooks or Roddy Boubois or JJ Barea or Steve Nash can do their thing. You've got to have choices when John Wall, Kirk Heinrich and Gilbert Arenas are on the floor at the same time.

I don't think the Spurs have shown us the right mix of guys, yet, to win consistently. Besides the need for a "wing defender", I think the Spurs need to add another player or two. They need protection in the post and at the 1 position.

TD 21
10-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, I'm tired of talking about getting a role player to defend the perimeter. I'm tired of talking about RJ having A.D.D. on defense last season. That's a big problem, a glaring hole, that needs addressing. If RJ isn't going to play good team defense, then cut his minutes and give some time to a role player who will pay attention, hustle, dig and close-out like he means it.

This thread is not really about the Big Three. They are still 3 of the top 30 (subjective) players in the NBA.

The game of basketball is about paying attention to the little things and in the NBA, it's about getting it right on players 1-13.

You need to find guys that can, at any point in a game, can go in when a player is having trouble. When a starter needs a breather, gets 2 early fouls, gets injured or just is flat getting beaten, a role player that can get stops or change the game is needed that you can count on.

The Spurs don't have a Steve Kerr or Speedy Claxton to come in for Parker like they used to. They don't have a savvy backup PG to defend small, quick guys in spot minutes while having the offensive ability to contribute on offense, although George is trying to get there. George and Garrett are both a little gangly and are still learning how to play in this league. They don't know the tricks that allow them to play over the screens or play good, balanced position as one-on-one defenders.

Maybe Gary Neal can help fill the hole on defense. He's faster and quicker than Mason was. He's not a particularly great defender but he knows some tricks and doesn't get caught going under screens all the time.

Let's not make this into something other than what it is. My premise is that players 13-18 were not impressive in camp. The Spurs need to pay attention to detail because there is a fine line to be drawn with players as well as in execution of offenses and defenses.

You've got to have guys that can deal with 70 pick and rolls/game when the floor is spread or everyone is lifted so that Aaron Brooks or Roddy Boubois or JJ Barea or Steve Nash can do their thing. You've got to have choices when John Wall, Kirk Heinrich and Gilbert Arenas are on the floor at the same time.

I don't think the Spurs have shown us the right mix of guys, yet, to win consistently. Besides the need for a "wing defender", I think the Spurs need to add another player or two. They need protection in the post and at the 1 position.

Sounds great, if you overlook the fact that the only other true SF on the roster is Simmons, who's a fringe player at this point and without Jefferson playing at least competent, this team won't have the talent to compete for a championship.

I agree. But Beverely is not that player. Don't bother responding with "How do you know?". I also don't know for certain that Neal isn't a star in the making, but I can make an educated guess. Anderson might be that type of role player, time will tell. Other than him, the Spurs don't have another even mildly intriguing option to turn to at SF and as far as the back court goes, they're more than fine both in terms of quality and quantity.

Hill is already a better player than either Kerr or Claxton were at any point in their careers. There are very few players in the NBA capable of doing that anymore, both because of the rules and the freakish athleticism, speed and quickness of those types of PG's. It's not the type of thing that almost every contender and second tier team has save for the Spurs (like wing defender).

Unless they can bring in someone markedly better than what they have, I see no reason to go and bring in other fringe players, who play positions the Spurs are already deep at. If they were carrying 15, then maybe it would make sense to take a look at Beverely, should he get cut.

Other teams will have to deal with those same pick-and-rolls from the Spurs. The Lakers have lead footed Fisher defending lightning quick PG's and they're coming off back to back championships. You act like the Rondo's and Lowry's of the world grow on trees.

I agree. They're probably a wing defender short. Protection in the post at the expense of who? Already, Pop is going to have to cut a rotation caliber big out of the playoff rotation. You want him to cut out two and for who? Some random stiff who happens to be a couple of inches taller than McDyess or Bonner or Blair? At the one? Parker and Hill figure to be, at minimum, one of the best duos in the league. You make it seem as if they won't be causing the same problems (often times, they'll cause more) for the opposition that the Spurs will face.

ivanfromwestwood
10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
we're down to 14. who gets the final cut?

ace3g
10-21-2010, 07:11 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN

Special guest in media mess hall before the game. 2010 2nd-round pick Ryan Richards, surgically repaired right shoulder insling. #spurs

ChumpDumper
10-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Ask him if he rides a motorcycle.

duncan228
10-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Pop says #spurs still eyeing 13-man roster, but might not make final move until after opener. At 14, team technically already under NBA max.

ChuckD
10-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Pop says #spurs still eyeing 13-man roster, but might not make final move until after opener. At 14, team technically already under NBA max.
Technically, Gee's guaranteed money allows them to keep him until late November without consequence. There would be little point in cutting him before then. He's a practice body and injury insurance.

Bruno
10-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Keeping Gee costs nothing to Spurs and he could still be used as a filler in an unlikely trade.

jjktkk
10-24-2010, 03:06 PM
You've got to have choices when John Wall, Kirk Heinrich and Gilbert Arenas are on the floor at the same time.

A lot of NBA teams, not just the Spurs, would have a difficult time dealing with the Wizards putting out a 3 guard lineup like you mentioned. I wouldn't lose alot of sleep worrying over defending a eastern conference team you only play twice, and , in all likely hood, won't be seeing in the NBA finals.

Solid D
10-24-2010, 03:15 PM
A lot of NBA teams, not just the Spurs, would have a difficult time dealing with the Wizards putting out a 3 guard lineup like you mentioned. I wouldn't lose alot of sleep worrying over defending a eastern conference team you only play twice, and , in all likely hood, won't be seeing in the NBA finals.

Yeah, I haven't been. ;)

I'm sure most people will notice the Spurs deficiencies soon enough.

jjktkk
10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I haven't been. ;)

I'm sure most people will notice the Spurs deficiencies soon enough.

Agree on the Spurs deficiencies, but IMO, they are more at the front court positions, than the backcourt. I like the trio of Ginoboli, Hill, and Parker, and the mix and match you can do with this trio. Throw in Anderson, Neal, and Temple, and I think were solid there. Anderson will also see time at the 3 IMO. I'm wondering If the Spurs are gonna go out and try to get a back up 3, or will they just go with what they got. Love your sig. pic, BTW. My favorite poster of all time.

duncan228
10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Popovich leans toward keeping 14 on Spurs roster (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_leans_toward_keeping_14_on_Spurs_roster_1 05652398.html?showFullArticle=y)
By Mike Monroe

On Sunday, Popovich said there was no hurry to make an additional cut. The coach, who doubles as president of basketball operations, has called the roster decisions he has faced this preseason some of the most difficult in his 14-year tenure on the bench.

“I think there's a good chance we'll start the season that way (with 14),” he said. “I'm not sure we'll stay that way, but most likely we'll start that way.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_leans_toward_keeping_14_on_Spurs_roster_1 05652398.html?showFullArticle=y

toki9
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM
They must be saving Gee for a trade...

Truth4sale$
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Gee will be picked up by another team if he is cut, and the spurs like some qualities in him. He is simply not Spurs caliber ready right now. Keeping him around allows him to develop. He will probably be assigned to the Toros until at least January to be reviewed.

Bruno
10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
The deadline to trim rosters at 15 players is today at 6pm ET. If Spurs do a trade with Gee, it will likely be before that deadline.

Solid D
10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Agree on the Spurs deficiencies, but IMO, they are more at the front court positions, than the backcourt. I like the trio of Ginoboli, Hill, and Parker, and the mix and match you can do with this trio. Throw in Anderson, Neal, and Temple, and I think were solid there. Anderson will also see time at the 3 IMO. I'm wondering If the Spurs are gonna go out and try to get a back up 3, or will they just go with what they got. Love your sig. pic, BTW. My favorite poster of all time.

Thanks, it's a favorite of mine also, but it became my sig as a remembrance of whottt. He stuck that poster in my profile about a year and a half ago.

With regard to the deficiencies, I think the bigger deficiencies are defensively on the wing and defensively at the 1, in that order. The Spurs have had a hole in the front court that was filled by Splitter, as long as he can take the floor and stay healthy. He's not perfect but he should improve the interior defense. I posted this in July and still believe it to be true.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520068&postcount=10

Solid D
10-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, as anticipated, Patrick Beverly was released by the Heat today along with Butler.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69755/20101025/heat_release_butler_beverley/

Heat Release Butler, Beverley
Oct 25, 2010 5:13 PM EST
The Heat have trimmed their roster to the league maximum of 15 players ahead of Tuesday's season opener against the Celtics.

Miami released guards Da'Sean Butler and Patrick Beverley.

Butler was one of the team's three second-round picks this past June and he had been recovering from knee surgery after tearing his ACL while playing with West Virginia in the NCAA tournament.

Beverley, a second-round pick in 2009, spent last season playing in Greece after the Heat acquired him in a draft-night trade.

duncan228
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Spurs' roster: 14 going on 13? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/spurs-roster-14.html)
By Jeff McDonald

...The Spurs will open the season with 14, but probably will only keep that many until Thanksgiving at the latest.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/spurs-roster-14.html

Solid D
10-25-2010, 09:29 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/spurs-roster-14.html

I thought it was somewhat humorous that Pop didn't even know how many players they currently had on the roster.

ChuckD
10-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Technically, Gee's guaranteed money allows them to keep him until late November without consequence. There would be little point in cutting him before then. He's a practice body and injury insurance.

Spurs' roster: 14 going on 13?
By Jeff McDonald

...The Spurs will open the season with 14, but probably will only keep that many until Thanksgiving at the latest.

Someone stole my mailbox key. You're welcome, fool.

duncan228
10-25-2010, 11:24 PM
#spurs inactive list, as turned into the league: Splitter and Gee. That can change before tipoff Wednesday, but it won't.

Solid D
10-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Pacers @ Spurs
Hibbert, Granger and Collison should give the Spurs some trouble.

Spurs
5 Duncan.....McDyess
4 Blair..........Bonner
3 Jefferson...Anderson..Simmons
2 Ginobili......Neal
1 Parker.......Hill...........Temple

Agloco
10-26-2010, 11:50 AM
The Spurs have 11 fully guaranteed contracts:

TP / Hill
Anderson / Manu / Neal
RJ
Dice / Blair / Bonner
Duncan / Splitter

From there, I think the team needs a third PG and a backup SF.

No defensive minded 7 footer eh?

Spursfanfromafar
10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
No defensive minded 7 footer eh?

Tim Duncan.

Solid D
10-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Pacers @ Spurs
Hibbert (28 pts, 9 reb, 3 blk), Granger (26 pts) and Collison (19 pts, 7 A) should give the Spurs some trouble.

Spurs
5 Duncan.....McDyess
4 Blair..........Bonner
3 Jefferson...Anderson..Simmons
2 Ginobili......Neal
1 Parker.......Hill...........Temple

Plus Josh McRoberts with 11, nice game for him.

All of the Spurs starters played well except for Blair. Pacers had too much length on him and he didn't play smart by using pump fakes, footwork, and reverse layups against McRoberts and Hibbert.

Interesting that Neal didn't get much PT against the Pacers. Hill and Ginobili got almost all of the minutes at the SG slot.

TD 21
10-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Plus Josh McRoberts with 11, nice game for him.

All of the Spurs starters played well except for Blair. Pacers had too much length on him and he didn't play smart by using pump fakes, footwork, and reverse layups against McRoberts and Hibbert.

Interesting that Neal didn't get much PT against the Pacers. Hill and Ginobili got almost all of the minutes at the SG slot.

Not that McRoberts doesn't have decent length, but if McRoberts qualifies as "too much length" for Blair, then the Spurs have a problem. Hibbert is understandable.

Not surprised Neal didn't play until the result was decided. Who would he have guarded? The Pacers didn't have an SG in the rotation, all they played were 6-8 or 6-9 SF's on the wings, save for that brief stretch where Collison and Ford were in together. Neal is too small to cover big SF's and not quick enough to cover lightning quick PG's, so there really was no match-up for him in this game.

Against the Hornets, it'll be a different story. Not that he's assured of playing, but they're loaded with undersized two's (Belinelli, Thornton, Bayless and Green), so he could get some run.

Solid D
10-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Not that McRoberts doesn't have decent length, but if McRoberts qualifies as "too much length" for Blair, then the Spurs have a problem. Hibbert is understandable.

Not surprised Neal didn't play until the result was decided. Who would he have guarded? The Pacers didn't have an SG in the rotation, all they played were 6-8 or 6-9 SF's on the wings, save for that brief stretch where Collison and Ford were in together. Neal is too small to cover big SF's and not quick enough to cover lightning quick PG's, so there really was no match-up for him in this game.

Without Splitter, of course the Spurs have a problem, when Blair is going to get boxed out and overshadowed in the paint like he did tonight. Is that even up for discussion?

When Pop goes small against TJ Ford and a bunch of 6-8 guys...if Hill isn't playing well, then Neal is an option...as long as he can score. Hill and Gino played well, so no major need for Neal. I was just saying it was interesting because it would not be beyond Pop to go small with a 4-inch height differential if he can get scoring when it's needed. Neal is only an inch shorter than middling, so-so defender Roger Mason, Jr..

Solid D
10-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Also, after all of the small-ball Pop has played over the years, is there really any concern on Pop's part about a 6-4 guy guarding a 6-7 or 6-8 guy? Not really. Just like he did tonight, Pop traps the dribbler to create turnovers and to dilute the mismatch. It worked to the tune of a 15-9 points advantage.

TD 21
10-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Without Splitter, of course the Spurs have a problem, when Blair is going to get boxed out and overshadowed in the paint like he did tonight. Is that even up for discussion?

When Pop goes small against TJ Ford and a bunch of 6-8 guys...if Hill isn't playing well, then Neal is an option...as long as he can score. Hill and Gino played well, so no major need for Neal. I was just saying it was interesting because it would not be beyond Pop to go small with a 4-inch height differential if he can get scoring when it's needed. Neal is only an inch shorter than middling, so-so defender Roger Mason, Jr..

Also, after all of the small-ball Pop has played over the years, is there really any concern on Pop's part about a 6-4 guy guarding a 6-7 or 6-8 guy? Not really. Just like he did tonight, Pop traps the dribbler to create turnovers and to dilute the mismatch. It worked to the tune of a 15-9 points advantage.

I didn't question whether it was a problem or not in the game last night, I meant big picture, if a guy like McRoberts qualifies as too much length for Blair, then that's a problem that goes beyond just that one game.

No, Neal is not an option in that scenario and I suspect that is why he didn't play until long after the result was decided and garbage time had commenced. He can't guard pint sized jet setters and he can't guard big, long wings and that made up the entirety of the Pacers perimeter rotation last night.

It's more than a four inch height differential. Having seen Neal stand beside Hill, I can tell you he's the exact same height, which means he's really 6-2. Hill is a 6-2 guy who sometimes guards long wings, because he's long himself and the Spurs don't exactly have a lot of options to put on top opposition wing scorers. But Neal isn't just short, he's not long or strong, either. Guys like Udoka and Bogans aren't tall or long, but they're strong, so Pop would match them up against significantly bigger players on occasion. Neal is more like Mason, in that he needs to be played in selective match-ups, not without regard for the match-up.

Solid D
10-28-2010, 10:23 PM
No, Neal is not an option in that scenario and I suspect that is why he didn't play until long after the result was decided and garbage time had commenced.

If you were the coach of the Spurs, this must be true because you said it. The problem with your premise is that even though you and I might handle matchups this way, Gregg Popovich doesn't always handle them this way. He has a history of going small depending on what he thinks the Spurs need.

It's more than a four inch height differential. Having seen Neal stand beside Hill, I can tell you he's the exact same height, which means he's really 6-2. .

I disagree with you regading Neal being 6'2". I have seen Hill stand beside Neal, as well. I have also seen Neal stand near Chip and they are about the same height. Engelland is a good 6'4".
Neal most definitely is lacking the 6'9" wingspan of Hill, but like I said before, if Hill wasn't playing well, Pop hasn't been afraid to play a guard like Neal or Mason to get scoring...even if it meant they had to guard someone like Paul George.

Measurements aren't so important when it comes to the mind of Pop. Maybe you understand that, but I'm not seeing that in your posts.

TD 21
10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
If you were the coach of the Spurs, this must be true because you said it. The problem with your premise is that even though you and I might handle matchups this way, Gregg Popovich doesn't always handle them this way. He has a history of going small depending on what he thinks the Spurs need.

I disagree with you regading Neal being 6'2". I have seen Hill stand beside Neal, as well. I have also seen Neal stand near Chip and they are about the same height. Engelland is a good 6'4".
Neal most definitely is lacking the 6'9" wingspan of Hill, but like I said before, if Hill wasn't playing well, Pop hasn't been afraid to play a guard like Neal or Mason to get scoring...even if it meant they had to guard someone like Paul George.

Measurements aren't so important when it comes to the mind of Pop. Maybe you understand that, but I'm not seeing that in your posts.

Where did I say he didn't? Re-read what I wrote, because it's clear you didn't comprehend it.

If you've seen Hill stand beside Neal, then you wouldn't disagree with my assertion that Neal is 6-2.

Maybe so, but this isn't the Spurs team's of the recent past. This team has plenty of firepower. Of course, it won't be evident every night, but by in large he shouldn't have to find minutes for a guy like Neal consistently on the basis of this team needing more scoring. When Mason was around, particularly the first season, Pop had no choice. The Spurs desperately needed his offense, even if it meant putting him in disadvantageous match-ups.

Solid D
10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Where did I say he didn't? Re-read what I wrote, because it's clear you didn't comprehend it.

When you rule out that option by saying:
No, Neal is not an option in that scenario. then you are ruling out Pop's prerogative to use Neal as an option. Pretty clear cut, to me. Unless, you would like to change "No, Neal is not an option in that scenario" to something a little more compromising.

If you've seen Hill stand beside Neal, then you wouldn't disagree with my assertion that Neal is 6-2.

I have seen them, in person, like a lot of other people have. This is going nowhere.

Maybe so, but this isn't the Spurs team's of the recent past. This team has plenty of firepower. Of course, it won't be evident every night, but by in large he shouldn't have to find minutes for a guy like Neal consistently on the basis of this team needing more scoring. When Mason was around, particularly the first season, Pop had no choice. The Spurs desperately needed his offense, even if it meant putting him in disadvantageous match-ups.

If Neal doesn't hit shots, it won't matter. If he does hit his shots, the Spurs will need his firepower because they sure aren't playing much defense.

TD 21
10-29-2010, 12:21 AM
When you rule out that option by saying: then you are ruling out Pop's prerogative to use Neal as an option. Pretty clear cut, to me. Unless, you would like to change "No, Neal is not an option in that scenario" to something a little more compromising.

I have seen them, in person, like a lot of other people have. This is going nowhere.

If Neal doesn't hit shots, it won't matter. If he does hit his shots, the Spurs will need his firepower because they sure aren't playing much defense.

That's different than refuting "he has a history of going small depending on what he thinks the Spurs need."

If you have, then you'd concur that Neal is more 6-2 than he is 6-4.

What "won't matter"? Sure they'll need his "firepower" if injuries arise or if it's just one of those games that happen to every team during the course of a grueling season, where the key players have dead legs and the team can't hit a shot to save their lives. But generally speaking, if this team is healthy, Neal will likely be either a fringe rotation player or be out of the rotation altogether.

For all the talk about the Spurs defense or lack thereof, they did finish 9th in efficiency last season and though it didn't look like it for half a game last night, they should be an improved defensive team this season. It would be an upset of epic proportions were they to resemble the defense of their heyday in the slightest, but nonetheless, this is still one of the better defensive teams in the league, which is often overlooked.