PDA

View Full Version : Top Power Forwards - FOX SPORTS

Ashy Larry
10-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Can't make everyone happy

It's the deepest position in the NBA, partly because skilled big men now prefer to play power forward than center. How deep? A bunch of talented players failed to crack John Galinsky's top 10, including Zach Randolph (Grizzlies, pictured), LaMarcus Aldridge (Blazers), Kevin Love (Timberwolves) and David West (Hornets). It's also ripe for arguments because who you like depends on what you value. Power? Shooting? Rebounding? Durability? Defense? We tried to consider everything, but just as no two power forwards play the same game, no two observers rank them the same way.

10. Luis Scola, Houston Rockets

Several PFs not on this list fill up a boxscore more than Scola -- we're thinking of you, Zach Randolph -- but few have his intangibles. He's tough. He never misses a game. He sets great screens. He doesn't take bad shots. He dives after loose balls. He annoys opponents with his elbows and distracts them with his hair. He also averaged a none-too-shabby 16.2 points and 8.6 rebounds last season, numbers that may go down with Yao Ming's return. Still, we think he's underrated. Our goal is to keep talking him up until he becomes overrated.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery10-JW_20101006174729_600_400.JPG

9. Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics

If the glowing reports from Boston's training camp are to be believed, the KG of old may be back this season, rather than the old KG we've seen the past two years. It all depends on his right knee, the one surgically repaired 16 months ago. If it's truly better and he regains his explosiveness, then this ranking is far too low. But he has to prove it. At 34 and entering his 16th NBA season, there's a ton of wear and tear on his warrior body. Will he hold up all season? If so, Boston can contend again. If not, it may be time to rebuild -- the team, not the knee.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery9-JW_20101006174729_600_400.JPG

8. Carlos Boozer, Chicago Bulls

Boozer gets bumped down a few spots from originally planned because of the broken hand that will sideline him for two months. Unfair? No, it has to do with durability. Boozer has missed too many games in his career to be considered a reliable star. Of course, that didn't keep the Bulls from signing him for $80 million. And if and when he's healthy, he should be lethal running the pick and roll with Derrick Rose. But even then, we're not crazy about Boozer's defense and all-around game. He's a very good player but not a great one.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery8-JW_20101006174729_600_400.JPG

7. David Lee, Golden State Warriors

You say Lee's stats were inflated by playing in Mike D'Antoni's system? You're surely right. He probably won't be a 20-11 guy in Golden State unless new coach Keith Smart keeps some of the Nellieball philosophy. Still, that shortchanges the improvements Lee has made in his five-year career. Always a relentless offensive rebounder, he's added a dependable midrange shot and an assortment of post moves while becoming a better passer. Now he's the most skilled garbage man in the game (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/NBA-top-garbage-men). The Knicks may miss him more than they think.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery7-JW_20101006174730_600_400.JPG

6. Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks

He made huge strides last season, eliminating wasteful parts of his game (like 3-point shots) while focusing on what he does best (dunking, passing, defending). As a result, Smith emerged as one of the most versatile players in the league. Still, at 24, there's room to grow. His attitude could be better. When the Hawks are soaring, he sneers and flexes and screams. When they're struggling, he sulks and pouts and slumps. If he ever grows up and becomes a leader, he'll truly be an elite player.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery6-JW_20101006174729_600_400.JPG

5. Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs

We hate putting Timmy this low and we hope he'll prove us wrong. After all, he's arguably the greatest power forward in NBA history. (Some would argue he's actually been a center, but he should legitimately be a power forward this season with Tiago Splitter joining the Spurs.) Duncan put up career lows in points (17.9) and rebounds (10.1) last season, numbers that may fall further if Gregg Popovich fulfills his pledge to limit TD's court time. At 34, he's not done yet. But he's slowing down enough to let some power forwards pass him by. Not many, but a few.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery5-JW_20101006173948_600_400.JPG

4. Amar'e Stoudemire, New York Knicks

He's a physical marvel, and not just because of his absurdly sculpted body. He's somehow returned from major knee and eye injuries even better than before, culminating in last season's second-half and playoff surge for the Suns. It all paid off with a $100 million payoff from the Knicks, whose fans should be happy with his offense if disappointed by his rebounding and defense. But Stoudemire won't be judged on stats. If he can give New York a winner again, he'll be worth celebrating.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery4-JW_20101006173948_600_400.JPG

3. Chris Bosh, Miami Heat

What's that look on Bosh's face? Is he pleasantly surprised by all the open looks and easy baskets he'll get this season? Or a little horrified by the prospect of being a third option on offense after averaging at least 22 points in five straight seasons with the Raptors? Most likely, he'll be OK with the reduced role. After all, that's what he signed up for when he joined LeBron and D-Wade in Miami. We already know he can score and rebound and run the court. What the Heat really need from Bosh is solid interior defense, the diciest part of his game.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery3-JW_20101006173948_600_400.JPG

2. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks

Literalists who value power in their power forwards like to knock Dirk for his finesse game. But his style and skills age well, meaning Nowitzki still has plenty in the tank at the age of 32. In fact, he shot better than ever last season, notching career highs in FT% (91.5) and 3PT% (42.1) while his FG% (48.1) was the second-best of his 12-year stint with the Mavs. Yes, his rebounding has fallen off a bit and he's lost a step on defense. But there's never been a 7-footer who can shoot like Dirk, and unless Kevin Durant grows a few more inches there won't be for a while.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery2-JW_20101006173948_600_400.JPG

1. Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers

It's a question you have to ask about players on championship teams: Do they look better because they are surrounded by great teammates, or is their individual brilliance a big reason for the team success? In other words, if Pau Gasol was still in Memphis, would we say he's the best power forward in the game? Who knows? What's clear is Gasol's sophisticated post game, solid passing skills and high IQ make him a perfect fit for the Lakers' triangle offense, and his length adds immeasurably to L.A.'s underrated defense. They wouldn't have won the last two titles without him. So the better question might be this: Would so many people still say Kobe Bryant is the NBA's best player if Gasol wasn't at his side?

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/06/100610-NBA-Top10-Power-Forwards-Gallery1-JW_20101006173948_600_400.JPG
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/lists/2010-11-NBA-preview-Top-10-power-forwards#sport=NBA&photo=12339723

Hooks
10-07-2010, 10:10 PM
1,2,3 and 4 all have something in common, they don't play defense.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-07-2010, 10:11 PM
lol Boozer Lee and Smith all ranked ahead of KG

TinTin
10-07-2010, 10:12 PM
1,2,3 and 4 all have something in common, they don't play defense.

lol homer

Hooks
10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
lol homer

It's true, when LA lost to Boston in the Finals, they were getting bitched by everyone because Bynum was out. Remember the Houston series when Scola/Yao were both tearing it up and LA nearly lost?

Does Dirk play defense? Nope.

Amare? Nope.

Bosh? :rollin

DeadlyDynasty
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Scola should be higher on the list

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I agree with the top 2 on the list..you can make an argument for Dirk at #1, but I'm fine with putting Gasol at #1..

I don't see the logic in putting Bosh or Stoudemire over Duncan..

Bosh was a slightly better overall scorer than Duncan last year..he was a slightly better post-up player than Duncan last year(52% to 50%), slightly better spot-up shooter, better p&r finisher..

Duncan was the better passer by a wide margin..defensively, it was only close in face-up D, where Bosh had a slight advantage..Duncan had a large advantage in post-up D, p&r D and overall team defense..

Stoudemire had a much larger advantage over Duncan offensively, beating him in every category by a wide margin, save for post-up offense..defensively, Duncan had him beat by a wide margin..Duncan also had a large advantage in rebounding and passing..

Josh Smith is very overrated defensively IMO, and his offense is still serious flawed..I would move him down the list..

Randolph is underrated on this list, and I don't see why he would be behind David Lee..the only advantage Lee has is his passing..Randolph's defense improved to average this season, while Lee's remains terrible..Randolph is a slightly better rebounder and a much better post-up player..

I would go..

1- Gasol
2- Nowitzki
3- Duncan
4- Stoudemire
5- Bosh
6- Garnett
7- Boozer
8- Randolph
9- Lee
10- Smith

Giuseppe
10-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Scola should be higher on the list

He ain't been right since D. Fish coco-butted him.

tee, hee.

TD 21
10-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree with the top 2 on the list..you can make an argument for Dirk at #1, but I'm fine with putting Gasol at #1..

I don't see the logic in putting Bosh or Stoudemire over Duncan..

Bosh was a slightly better overall scorer than Duncan last year..he was a slightly better post-up player than Duncan last year(52% to 50%), slightly better spot-up shooter, better p&r finisher..

Duncan was the better passer by a wide margin..defensively, it was only close in face-up D, where Bosh had a slight advantage..Duncan had a large advantage in post-up D, p&r D and overall team defense..

Stoudemire had a much larger advantage over Duncan offensively, beating him in every category by a wide margin, save for post-up offense..defensively, Duncan had him beat by a wide margin..Duncan also had a large advantage in rebounding and passing..

Josh Smith is very overrated defensively IMO, and his offense is still serious flawed..I would move him down the list..

Randolph is underrated on this list, and I don't see why he would be behind David Lee..the only advantage Lee has is his passing..Randolph's defense improved to average this season, while Lee's remains terrible..Randolph is a slightly better rebounder and a much better post-up player..

I would go..

1- Gasol
2- Nowitzki
3- Duncan
4- Stoudemire
5- Bosh
6- Garnett
7- Boozer
8- Randolph
9- Lee
10- Smith

I don't understand how you (or anyone) could have a one dimensional player ahead of Duncan. Gasol, though I disagree, I get the argument for, but Nowitzki?

The order is debatable, but the top eight you listed are the eight best power forwards in the league (if you still classify Duncan and Gasol as PF's). Nine and ten are up for debate. Aldridge, Jefferson, Scola and West are in the discussion with Lee and Smith.

Phillip
10-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't understand how you (or anyone) could have a one dimensional player ahead of Duncan. Gasol, though I disagree, I get the argument for, but Nowitzki?

because dirk isnt as one dimentional as people suggest. people still live off his reputation from 1998-2003

hes improved quite a bit since. and has always been one of the top defensive rebounders in the NBA. his defensive rebound rate is fantastic.

Killakobe81
10-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Boozer over KG even at this stage of his carreer is a travesty ...

Pau is not a great defender but to say he doesnt play defense is bullshit. he is soft but he gets blocks even out on the perimeter, and boards well and is a solid though not great help defender.

TD 21
10-08-2010, 05:35 PM
because dirk isnt as one dimentional as people suggest. people still live off his reputation from 1998-2003

hes improved quite a bit since. and has always been one of the top defensive rebounders in the NBA. his defensive rebound rate is fantastic.

He's still largely one dimensional. Other than scoring, he doesn't really excel in any particular area. His defensive rebound rate may look nice, but he's a terrible offensive rebounder and overall a sub par one. He's not an above average passer, he's a sub par man defender and no more than average as a team defender and he sets probably the worst screens I've ever seen.

And let's face it, good as scorer as he is, he averages far more attempts per game than almost any other big man in the game. Give Duncan, Gasol, Stoudemire, etc. those attempts and they'd be a lot closer to him in ppg than they are (Stoudemire would actually be ahead of him).

Forgot to add Horford to Aldridge, Jefferson, Scola and West, as far as being in the discussion with Lee and Smith for the ninth and tenth spots.

Pelicans78
10-08-2010, 09:20 PM
How is Scola over David West when West constantly faceplants him all over the floor. This is no comparison. Scola is not anywhere in West's league. Can't wait to see West put up another 40 on this clown.

Cry Havoc
10-08-2010, 10:15 PM

The order is debatable, but the top eight you listed are the eight best power forwards in the league (if you still classify Duncan and Gasol as PF's). Nine and ten are up for debate. Aldridge, Jefferson, Scola and West are in the discussion with Lee and Smith.

Calling Dirk a one dimensional player is just ridiculous. He was one of the best players in the playoffs last year, and kept his team in the series against the Spurs when everyone else on his team was just shitting the bed.

He averaged 25 PPG, with 7.7 boards and almost 3 assists. A steal to go with it. That's the best statline I've ever seen for a one dimensional player.

jestersmash
10-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Who the hell cares if Dirk is "one dimensional" or not. The results speak for themselves. It doesn't matter how he attains his stats. His stats are what they are.

It's pretty obvious to me that Dirk is clearly rank 2 behind Gasol, and I'd say it's pretty damned close between them.

I don't care if Dirk is one dimensional or 10 dimensional. 25 points per game (with his level of efficiency to boot) is still 25 points per game.

jestersmash
10-08-2010, 10:30 PM
And by the way, to the person who called Dirk one dimensional, please define exactly what you mean by "one dimensional" and then explain how Dirk falls into that category, and then explain why anybody should care when it comes to ranking PFs.

I don't have a damned clue as to what you mean by "one dimensional."

Chucho
10-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Fox Sports is just awful. ESPN is garbage, but Fox Sports is the toxic waste of the sports media. Truly the only decent media around is Sports Illustrated The Sporting News.

dunkman
10-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Nowitzki is clearly the best PF, he made the second team all-nba and he would win the match-up against any other PF.

Duncan is better than Pau, both made the third all-nba team, but Duncan also made the all-defensive second team. Even at this point in his career, Pau wouldn't win the match-up against Duncan.

Giuseppe
10-09-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't have a damned clue as to what you mean by "one dimensional."

In Dirk's case it means he's a loser. After a queer fashion Nowitski is in a winner's circle, but, he is still a loser.

Greg Oden
10-09-2010, 01:19 AM
usep, with the bads, per the usual

Giuseppe
10-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Well, Nowitski, and his fans have to own up to his failures. He's no youngster. He's been around, and has failed all along the line.

It's only right.

Greg Oden
10-09-2010, 01:23 AM
losers lose, and winners win. we win, you and me. it's what we do.

Giuseppe
10-09-2010, 01:28 AM
It's goin' on 34 years since you won, Ode. I don't want to cast you down when we seem to be forging some kind of half ass friendship, but, if I don't set you straight from the start I'll have Luva to answer for later on tonite when he gets home from bingo.

Savvy?

Greg Oden
10-09-2010, 01:39 AM
ius, every year you don't win, I do. So therefore, my winning percentage is a tad higher than yours. I thought we came to that conclusion on that fateful day?

TD 21
10-09-2010, 04:27 PM
It's not at all ridiculous to call Nowitzki "one dimensional". What it is, is accurate. He's an above average shooter/scorer and that's it.

What do you mean, "who cares if he's one dimensional"? That's a huge factor when comparing him to multi-dimensional players like Duncan and Gasol, who can and do impact the game in so many more ways.

And if we're going to pretend it's not a huge factor, because many Spurs fans inexplicably overrate and have some obsession with Nowitzki to the point of defending him as if he's their own, then why put him on another level than Bosh and Stoudemire? Why is Stoudemire constantly criticized for being one dimensional, but Nowitzki is praised for being the same?

Other than range shooting, what does Nowitzki have on Duncan? He's not better at any other aspect of the game, so how could he be a better player than him? Ah, but he scores more (never mind the fact that he shoots a lot more), so he must be better.

Gutter92
10-09-2010, 04:33 PM
This is why I don't understand how people try to discredit Kobe's supporting cast...he has the best PF in the L on his team...

#41 Shoot Em Up
10-09-2010, 05:22 PM
This is why I don't understand how people try to discredit Kobe's supporting cast...he has the best PF in the L on his team...

:lmao

Jt.ONE
10-09-2010, 06:25 PM
josh at 6?

am i the only person not understanding why he's so high up when looking at ranking lists for whatever?