PDA

View Full Version : Why the GOP Will Win Big This Fall

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 11:04 AM
GOP Holds Huge Advantage in Outside Spending
from Taegan Goddard's Political Wire
Earlier in the week I noted what could be the under reported political story of the year: the dramatic advantage Republicans have in outside group spending.

A Democratic operative sends Ben Smith a summary of outside media spending on Senate races from August through last night and calculates the GOP holds a more than seven-to-one advantage.

BlairForceDejuan
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
That's like saying Obama won in 08 because of his campaign spending.

101A
10-08-2010, 11:10 AM
There is no sense backing a losing horse. Money is funneling to those who will have power - to gain access.

We had many discussions about the chicken and egg scenario about political funding - probably if you followed the money you'd see that people that backed Dems in '08 are now backing Republicans; sometimes it's ideological (Soros and Coors), often it is not.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM
That's like saying Obama won in 08 because of his campaign spending.

In large part he did.

MannyIsGod
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM
There is no sense backing a losing horse. Money is funneling to those who will have power - to gain access.

We had many discussions about the chicken and egg scenario about political funding - probably if you followed the money you'd see that people that backed Dems in '08 are now backing Republicans; sometimes it's ideological (Soros and Coors), often it is not.

Fair enough - in close races where the electorate is much more evenly split who usually wins? The candidate with more money or the one with less money?

BlairForceDejuan
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Fair enough - in close races where the electorate is much more evenly split who usually wins? The candidate with more money or the one with less money?

The party opposite of the one currently in power doing a shitty job.

Supergirl
10-08-2010, 01:25 PM
You mean, the Koch brothers who are funding the Tea Party are outspending? Dems actually lead the Republicans in fundraising from ordinary people. By a long shot. I can try and find the link...

z0sa
10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
"ordinary people"?

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Living breathing US citizens as opposed to giant corporate interests who are currently dwarfing individual contributions.

DarrinS
10-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Or, Bush is no longer there to run against and Hopenchange has fizzled.

DarrinS
10-08-2010, 02:22 PM
You mean, the Koch brothers who are funding the Tea Party are outspending? Dems actually lead the Republicans in fundraising from ordinary people. By a long shot. I can try and find the link...

I hear only robots are donating to the GOP.

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Or, Bush is no longer there to run against and Hopenchange has fizzled.False contrast. It's not an either/or. It can be both at the same time.

DarrinS
10-08-2010, 02:51 PM
False contrast. It's not an either/or. It can be both at the same time.

I thought I used the word "and".

Yonivore
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Why will the GOP win big this fall?

Because Democrat/liberal/progressive policies suck and are damaging our country. And, now that all but Obama's most devoted base recognizes that, people who would normally vote Democrat but aren't rabid (a la' Pelosi, Reid, and Obama) are trying to rectify the fuck up they made in November 2008.

First step is to give the Congress back to Conservatives...

Then, they'll see how that turns out before going back to the polls in November 2012.

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I thought I used the word "and".You did not. If "or" amounts to the same (i.e, a coordinating conjunction), I'll cede the point.

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Thought you put it there for contrast rather than apposition. My bad.

George Gervin's Afro
10-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Because Democrat/liberal/progressive policies suck and are damaging our country. And, now that all but Obama's most devoted base recognizes that, people who would normally vote Democrat but aren't rabid (a la' Pelosi, Reid, and Obama) are trying to rectify the fuck up they made in November 2008.

Then, they'll see how that turns out before going back to the polls in November 2012.

You mean 2006.. that's when congress went democrat..

George Gervin's Afro
10-08-2010, 03:04 PM

so we'll start the job count on day one ... Your side makes it seem like it's easy to turn the economy around..so we'll give the GOP a week to do it..

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Rectification is around the corner!

Yonivore
10-08-2010, 03:14 PM
You mean 2006.. that's when congress went democrat..
Obama was a bigger fuck up than the '06 Congress. And, without them, he'll be impotent. Republicans weren't much better at holding the line on spending.

The markets are already looking up at the prospect of a gridlocked government.

Yonivore
10-08-2010, 03:15 PM
so we'll start the job count on day one ... Your side makes it seem like it's easy to turn the economy around..so we'll give the GOP a week to do it..
Do what you like.

Winehole23
10-08-2010, 03:19 PM
The markets are already looking up at the prospect of a gridlocked government.Gridlocked foreclosure could bite the market, and the new political majority, in the ass.