PDA

View Full Version : Simmons hopes to do more than watch with Spurs

duncan228
10-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Simmons hopes to do more than watch with Spurs (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/07/bobby-simmons/)
Fran Blinebury
NBA.com

There were worse places to be last season than on the court playing for the hapless 12-win Nets, the worst team in basketball, as they tried to avoid a dubious place in the history books.

Bobby Simmons had to sit on the bench and watch it.

"It wasn't pleasant and it wasn't pretty," said the 30-year-old forward. "It was something to endure to get another chance."

That new chance is in San Antonio with an unguaranteed contract, but at least an opportunity to play that huge chip off his shoulder following a year's worth of frustration in New Jersey.

"The organization wanted to go in another direction, as far as developing the young guys," Simmons said. "As far as the veterans, they said, 'If we can get you out of here, we will.' But after the trade deadline, we were stuck there. There was nothing we could do.

"As a veteran, I took the punches and continued to work out and tried to get better. As far as playing, that wasn't an option.

"It was tough, probably tougher than the ankle injury (stress reaction) I had (in 2006). I was healthy and ready to play and wasn't given an opportunity. I figured when we weren't winning in the beginning I would get that opportunity, but it didn't happen at all."

Actually, Simmons played in the first 18 games of last season, all losses as the Nets set a record for consecutive season-opening defeats. But coach Lawrence Frank was fired after the 16th game and that's when Simmons' role headed toward a cliff. After two games under interim coach Tom Barrise, he was buried at the end of the bench when Kiki Vandeweghe took over.

"To be honest, I wasn't sure if those guys were ready to be head coaches," Simmons said. "That's my opinion."

Either way, it's been a long fall for Simmons since he was named the NBA's Most Improved Player by averaging 16.4 points for the L.A. Clippers in 2004-05. It was that performance that got him signed to a five-year, $47 million free agent contract by Milwaukee that finally ended last season with him making $11.2 million to be one of the league's wealthiest spectators.

Now it's about demonstrating that he's still got something to contribute and he chose the Spurs over offers from Washingon, Dallas and Chicago.

"It's the continuity of the team here, having veteran guys that know how to play the game and want to win that made the difference," Simmons said. "This is a franchise that has proven over and over that they know how to win."

The Spurs are seeking a reliable backup to Richard Jefferson at the small forward spot, preferably someone who can aggressively and effectively defend the position.

"If I had my druthers in a perfect world, I'd want Bruce Bowen to be 28 years old and back on our team," said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. "But I'm not gonna find Bruce Bowen. So if I can find somebody close, who can be as big a pain in the ass as he was, that would be great. So far I haven't been able to do that.

"[Bruce] knew what he could do well and he did it. He couldn't dribble. He couldn't pass. I never ran a play for him. But he had a helluva distinctive career, did a great job and helped us win championships because he accepted that role. You probably can't replace that. So if I can get somebody who can at least spell defense, say the word once in a while, then I'll know they have some interest in it. Beyond that, the worse they are defensively, the better they better be able to shoot or there's no reason to have them around."

Simmons was the fifth-best 3-point percentage shooter for the Nets in the 2008-2009 season when he hit at a 44.7 clip while playing just over 24 minutes a game. Throughout his career, he's been a defender, a wingman, a post player, getting time as a small forward, power forward and even playing some shooting guard.

"He did a little bit of everything," Popovich said. "He's kind of like a utility infielder in a way. He shoots it pretty well. He knows how to pass it. He has a pace about him. He understands how the game is played.

"Do you want him to play the 3 or the 4? Do you want to emphasize defense or offense? Is he gonna fit in with the group the way you want to play? All those things we're trying to evaluate right now."

So Simmons arrived in San Antonio without a guarantee and wanted to show that he's better at this point in his career than what the conventional wisdom might say.

"I'm a guy who's been on good teams, bad teams, relied on my defense and on my offense, been hurt and I've been healthy," he said. "But in my years in the league, there's only one thing I couldn't handle. That's why I'm here to do anything the Spurs ask me to do."

Just don't ask him to watch.

bdictjames
10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
I think he's gonna make the team. A better Ime or Bogans, imo.

objective
10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
all he did against Houston was watch guys go right by him.

"If I had my druthers in a perfect world, I'd want Bruce Bowen to be 28 years old and back on our team," said San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich. "But I'm not gonna find Bruce Bowen. So if I can find somebody close, who can be as big a pain in the ass as he was, that would be great. So far I haven't been able to do that.

I wish Pop had that kind of love for Bowen against the Lakers in 08 or instead of Finley in 09.

SenorSpur
10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I think he's gonna make the team. A better Ime or Bogans, imo.

I agree. Unless he completely falls off a cliff, I also believe Simmons WILL make the team. A veteran, with good size, decent shooting ability and can play the precious "stretch 4" position, in a pinch. Because of injuries, he probably no longer has the quickness to be an adequate defender. However he has demonstrated a mindset for it at this level and gives Pop some much-needed lineup versatility.

As for the rest of the roster, I don't think Gee has done enough yet to prove he can be a good defender. Gist undoubtedly has the most upside as a defender, but he's still unproven, and probably needs some D-League seasoning.

That said, the Spurs really do not have any better options for the backup SF slot, than Simmons. That's why I believe he will make it, barring some unforseen events.

Now if RC could swing that Wilson Chandler trade, well...solution solved!

SenorSpur
10-09-2010, 07:39 PM
all he did against Houston was watch guys go right by him.

I wish Pop had that kind of love for Bowen against the Lakers in 08 or instead of Finley in 09.

Priceless! :toast

ElNono
10-09-2010, 08:48 PM
If it ends up being between him and Gee, just cut his ass...

Danny.Zhu
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Now if RC could swing that Wilson Chandler trade, well...solution solved!

Unfortunately that's impossible. So I think Simmons will make the team.

Even if he doesn't fit in well here eventually
a. a vet-min won't hurt that much
b. as a vet he is tradable

DespЏrado
10-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I think you have to give a guy like Simmons to the allstar break to see what he can bring to the team. The hole that he fills is just too big of a need position that we can't give up on the talent that a hungry player like Simmons could bring.

DrSteffo
10-10-2010, 04:44 AM
You need to play better then Mr Simmons

Timmy
10-10-2010, 04:55 AM
i love this guy

come on!!!

duncan228
10-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Q & A with ... Bobby Simmons (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/q-a-with-bobby.html)
By Jeff McDonald

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/q-a-with-bobby.html

Obstructed_View
10-10-2010, 07:57 PM

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

HarlemHeat37
10-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Simmons doesn't have much left in the tank..I haven't watched either of the Spurs' preseason games, but I said this about Simmons in July when some fans wanted him..he's a huge risk at this point, and he doesn't have much left in the tank IMO..

I didn't mind the signing, but only if he actually has to compete against everybody else, instead of being given a spot like Bogans was..if he's judged fairly, I'm fine with it..

objective
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I didn't mind the signing, but only if he actually has to compete against everybody else, instead of being given a spot like Bogans was..if he's judged fairly, I'm fine with it..

A reasonable fear is that Simmons' role is to be Pop's excuse to not play Anderson or Gee or whoever.

HarlemHeat37
10-10-2010, 10:43 PM
That's my expectation, TBH..

MaNu4Tres
10-10-2010, 11:48 PM
A reasonable fear is that Simmons' role is to be Pop's excuse to not play Anderson or Gee or whoever.

Hope that is not the case.

That is why I didn't want a bottom of the barrel veteran minimum signing. All it does is stunt the progression from the younger alternatives. (which have higher overall and defensive potential)

Udokafan05
10-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I like Simmons. At the open practice he was playing good d and was good at telling players when screens were coming. He can also make shots.

duhoh
10-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I like Simmons. At the open practice he was playing good d and was good at telling players when screens were coming. He can also make shots.

:lol coming from a udoka fan.

but that's good to hear though :toast

Death In June
10-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Pop still trying to plug players into a formula without the appropriate pieces. Seems like it would be smarter to utilize a players strengths and get the most out of them rather than force them to be something they're clearly not. Cherry picking third, sometimes fifth rate mock ups hasn't exactly done well for him either.

G-Dawgg
10-11-2010, 03:28 AM
I think he would do well, after a short adjustment period and a chance to mesh with this new team he will be a very valuable asset to us. He's way too valuable a commodity to us to pass judgement on him after two pre-season games with all the tools/skills and experience that he brings to the table.