PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Popovich praises Riley's haul before downing Heat

duncan228
10-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Spurs' Popovich praises Riley's haul before downing Heat (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-san-antonio-spurs-s100910,0,6512302.story)
By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun Sentinel

Gregg Popovich had no time for the skeptics after the Miami Heat completed their July signings of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

But he did have time for Pat Riley.

So while so many other NBA coaches and executives were questioning Riley's haul, the San Antonio Spurs coach called the Heat president to offer congratulations.

"I thought what he did was amazing," Popovich said before his team defeated the shorthanded Heat 90-73 Saturday in an exhibition at AT&T Center. "What a coup. Period. Nobody else figured that out."

Popovich said he was surprised there weren't more well-wishers, with Riley citing Popovich and Stern among the few within the league to call.

"Whatever the rules are, those are the rules," Popovich said. "Nobody broke any rules. I don't understand any problem.

"If you don't like it, change the rules."

With the Heat treating Saturday's game as an unnecessary evil -- the Heat sat out Wade, Udonis Haslem, Mario Chalmers, Mike Miller, Eddie House and Carlos Arroyo, while playing James and Bosh for limited minutes -- the night provided ample opportunity for Popovich to expand on his minority outside opinion of the Heat's offseason haul.

Popovich said he had a hard time with so many associated with the league coming down on James, Wade and Bosh for choosing to play as an ensemble.

"We live in a world where there are so many opinions, it's enough to make you puke," he said.

"People have to bitch and moan about something. That's just the world we live in."

Popovich said there should be no issue with players' choices.

"Every coach wants selfless players who put the group ahead of the individual," he said. "That's obvious for all of us.

"The bottom line is you're allowed what you want to do in this country. And those guys did, according to the rules, what they wanted to do. I don't see any room for fault there."

Having coached four NBA championship teams, in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007, Popovich said he sees the potential for something special in Miami.

"It's got a heck of a chance of working, because, obviously, they have enough of a talent level to get it done," he said. "And Coach Riley did a hell of a job of putting the pieces together.

"A lot of people tried to dismiss, 'Well, they can't do that. They're going to have too many holes.' Well, you look at that roster, and you tell me where the holes are?"

There were, however, holes Saturday. In addition to Wade working his way back from a strained left hamstring and House from offseason shoulder surgery, Haslem sat with a sore shoulder, Miller with a bruised hip, Chalmers with ankle pain and Arroyo with a balky groin.

In falling to 1-2 in the preseason, the Heat played James and Bosh only in the first quarter. Going all 12 minutes in the period, James finished with 12 points, three assists and three rebounds, shooting 6 of 6 from the line. Bosh had his first uneven performance, closing with two points on 1-of-6 shooting, with one rebound.

With so many regulars not available, coach Erik Spoelstra gave veterans Juwan Howard and Jamaal Magloire their first minutes of the preseason. He also gave an extended look to point guard Patrick Beverley, who crashed the boards, capably guided the offense, but struggled with his offense.

alchemist
10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
"A lot of people tried to dismiss, 'Well, they can't do that. They're going to have too many holes.' Well, you look at that roster, and you tell me where the holes are?"
Pop taking shots at Kobe (...I mean Laker) fans.

angelbelow
10-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Classic Pop

Giuseppe
10-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Pop= Riley's bird dog.

Leonard Curse
10-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Pop= Riley's bird dog.

lol mad cause hes not sucking l.a's balls
wait a minute you have nothing to worry about your already a lock to threepeat by the way man kobe's failed allyoop from fisher raised some major flags he couldnt even jump as high as matt bonner against Barcelona lol

lefty
10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
It's funny how nobody criticized the Celtics for adding KG and Allen to Pierce, but yet slam the Heat for doing the same thing

ChuckD
10-10-2010, 06:16 PM
It's funny how nobody criticized the Celtics for adding KG and Allen to Pierce, but yet slam the Heat for doing the same thing

They're not the Lakers or Celtics, and therefore open to criticism.

EricB
10-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Huge difference.

One was FAs where they could go anywhere they want.

The other was trades.

lefty
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Huge difference.

One was FAs where they could go anywhere they want.

The other was trades.
Ray was a free agent

And regarding KG, it was a gift from McHale

But it was okay

timtonymanu
10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Ray was a free agent

But it was okay

Ray was still with the Sonics. Jeff Green, Szczerbiak and Delonte West were traded for him.

lefty
10-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Ray was still with the Sonics. Jeff Green, Szczerbiak and Delonte West were traded for him.
Aw shit, thats true

I'm too tired

spursdotcom
10-10-2010, 07:54 PM
full audio
http://www.cinchcast.com/spurs/100224

:toast

Phenomanul
10-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Also, neither KG or Allen were in their 'primes' at the time of their respective trades... Bosh and LeBron are both in their primes (Wade too for that matter)...

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 09:12 AM

But it was okay

Unlike the Gasol event.:rolleyes

Phenomanul
10-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Unlike the Gasol event.:rolleyes

Al Jefferson >>>> Kwame Brown + Marc Gasol

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
You can keep Brown, but, I'd take Marc Gasol over Jefferson on the spot.

Dunc n Dave
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
You can keep Brown, but, I'd take Marc Gasol over Jefferson on the spot.

Cully! Shame on you! You went back on your own word to never venture "upstairs." Just couldn't resist, could you? LIAR!

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
That was in the original incarnation.

This reincarnation released me from that responsibility.

hater
10-11-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.landloyalty.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/aaroncookcom_babu_bhatt_seinfeld.jpg

But where are holes? Do you see holes? Show me holes. There are no holes!

superbigtime
10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Al Jefferson >>>> Kwame Brown + Marc Gasol

You need to watch some Memphis games.