PDA

View Full Version : Should we just dissolve the FDA?

MiamiHeat
10-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Thinking about the housing scandal got me thinking :

Remember when America was plagued by snake oil salesmen? Going from town to town peddling fake "Cure alls" to every disease and ailment known to man?

Apparently, America thought it was a good idea to create the FDA in response to this and food quality control.

You see, we didn't blame the people who bought these things. After all, some people are uneducated, desperate, hoping for anything to save them from their misfortunes....

We blamed the snake oil salesmen. We regulated food quality, medicine, and false claims. It became illegal to scam people. Makes complete sense, correct?

So, why then do some people say,

"Nobody put a gun to their heads and forced them to buy adjustable rate mortgages. Nobody forced them to buy things." Nope. Nobody forced them, but they were sold something by enthusiastic salesmen who knew more about it than they were sharing.

Isn't that the exact defense that snake oil salesmen used over 100 years ago when defending themselves? When they took advantage of the sick and needy by claiming to be able to cure them with fake medicine?

So, using this logic, if certain segments of industry are to remain unregulated..... shouldn't we just apply this logic everywhere, and dissolve the FDA?

Why stop at the FDA? We should revoke all sorts of laws that pertain to frauds and scams.

Bernie Madoff? Ha. Nobody put a gun to their head and forced them to give me their money to invest.

Wild Cobra
10-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Yep. We are over regulated.

boutons_deux
10-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Bullshit.

FDA, like most of govt, has been captured by corporations. FDA now exists to protect and increase BigPharma profits, causing 10s of 1000s of injuries and deaths every year, to keep those profits flowing. FDA does not fulfill its regulatory role to protect consumers from bad drugs and bad food. iow, our food and drugs are underegulated, so we are under protected. We can't trust food/drug corps to regulate themselves and deliver only safe AND effective products.

Europe bans a drug or chemical, eg BPA, pesticides, etc, years before the US because the European authorities are not completely captured like FDA/USDA/EPA.

Wild Cobra
10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Don't you ever get tired of sounding like a broken record?

boutons_deux
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Do you ever get tired of shilling and lying for corps against individuals and the environment?

Wild Cobra
10-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Do you ever get tired of shilling and lying for corps against individuals and the environment?
I don't, but with you, it's always "repug," corporations, pharma, etc. that you are railing about. No matter what the issue is, with you, they are always wrong.

Stringer_Bell
10-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't, but with you, it's always "repug," corporations, pharma, etc. that you are railing about. No matter what the issue is, with you, they are always wrong.

"Liberals" or "Libtards" are usually the focus of your criticism. You (or someone else) might respond "Oh, but Liberals ARE responsible for most of this crap," but that shit is just as non-productive and wrong as B_D railing against VRWCs and Repugs all day. Two sides of the same coin, me thinks.

Wild Cobra
10-11-2010, 09:56 AM
"Liberals" or "Libtards" are usually the focus of your criticism. You (or someone else) might respond "Oh, but Liberals ARE responsible for most of this crap," but that shit is just as non-productive and wrong as B_D railing against VRWCs and Repugs all day. Two sides of the same coin, me thinks.
To a small degree, I agree with you. I get a bit mean at times. However, I generally apply those terms to certain people and cases. Not across the board. Now with the liberal mindset, there seems to be compassion without the thoughts of the lasting effects they cause. I honestly believe that most liberal policies case more harm than what they solve.

Winehole23
10-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Got Raw Milk? Then You Are an Enemy of the State!

By Caleb Stegall (http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/author/cstegall/) 12 October 2010

Here is a tragic example (http://hartkeisonline.com/2010/10/11/family-farm-ordered-to-destroy-50000-pounds-of-cheese/) of the soft tyranny of bureaucratic goodie-goodies backed by corporate muscle in favor of closing markets:
In the thirty years of Morningland Dairy operations NO ONE has become ill from consuming their products. Yet they have been ordered by the Missouri Milk Board to destroy ALL of their cheese without actual tests being performed on the cheese stock. This is nearly 50,000 pounds of cheese, or approximately $250,000.

Since the Milk Board and the FDA showed up at Morningland on August 26th, they have been “embargoed” from shipping or making any product. They dumped their milk for nearly six weeks before being approved to send it into homogenized, pasteurized distribution. All the while, they have had to pay the bill to keep the dairy and cheese plant operable.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/2010/10/got-raw-milk-then-you-are-an-enemy-of-the-state/