PDA

View Full Version : Turkish team offers Iverson $2 million deal

duncan228
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Turkish team offers Iverson $2 million deal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-iversonturkey101110)
By Adrian Wojnarowski and Marc J. Spears

Allen Iverson is moving closer to an agreement with Turkish team Besiktas on a one-year contract that could pay him as much as $2 million with bonuses, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

“We are in very serious negotiations with [Besiktas],” Iverson’s business manager Gary Moore told Yahoo! Sports. “Istanbul is beautiful from everything we’ve learned. It’s not that far from the U.S., and the competition is good which makes it all attractive.

“Allen wants to play basketball.”

Besiktas sent a contract to Iverson on Monday and hopes he’ll sign it by week’s end. Still, one source said Iverson could take as long as 10 days to finalize the deal.

One stumbling block to an agreement over the weekend was Iverson’s reluctance to let Besiktas fine him beyond 1 percent of his $1.5 million base salary, a European source told Yahoo! Sports.

Iverson has solicited more lucrative offers to play in China this season, but has been intrigued with the prospects of playing in Istanbul. After tumultuous exits in his last three stops – Detroit, Memphis and Philadelphia – Iverson has exhausted all interest from NBA teams. Despite averaging 26.7 points in his 14-year NBA career, Iverson couldn’t even get a training camp invitation.

Besiktas is considered third among the three most powerful franchises in the Turkish first division and starts league play over the weekend. Besiktas has a strong following in Turkey, and team officials believe Iverson could be an immense gate draw.

Besiktas has had financial problems and, according to a report by Eurobasket.com, has recently been targeted by a suit brought by American player, Lonnie Baxter, and his agent, Brad Ames, for failure to pay salary and agent fees.

Dex
10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I wonder how you say The Answer in Turkish.

ChumpDumper
10-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Istanbul is beautiful from everything we’ve learned. It’s not that far from the U.S.It only 5000 miles away from Philly....

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2010, 02:02 PM
doesnt he have enough money already?

2m more to his net worth is like shit compared to what he earns on his life savings in a low risk investment like bank deposit

Pero
10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
One stumbling block to an agreement over the weekend was Iverson’s reluctance to let Besiktas fine him beyond 1 percent of his $1.5 million base salary, a European source told Yahoo! Sports.

WTF?! He already expects to get fined? :lmao

buttsR4rebounding
10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
WTF?! He already expects to get fined? :lmao

Practice?!?!? We're talkin' about practice?!?!?...Turkish teams do practice.

Jt.ONE
10-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Cevap

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 05:11 PM
He adamantly refused to come off the bench in the states, but, will travel to that shit hole.

He must have a screw loose.

The Franchise
10-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Why would he turn down more money in China (where they would damn near worship him) to go play in Istanbul?

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 05:23 PM
I hope he ends up like Brad Davis:::jackin' off in a turkish prison to Vulv sittin' across pressin' her titties on the plexiglas.

Ashy Larry
10-11-2010, 06:04 PM
30 x 12 man roster is 360. So you're telling me that this dude isn't even worth or better than at least 60 guys in the league today. Talk about being blackballed .......

#2!
10-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Can't believe a guy would be so unwilling to be a team player, especially at this stage of his career. Disgusts me honestly.

Giuseppe
10-11-2010, 10:33 PM
He's been a horse's patootie since day one. Nothing's changed. He's made no progress.

sprrs
10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
30 x 12 man roster is 360. So you're telling me that this dude isn't even worth or better than at least 60 guys in the league today. Talk about being blackballed .......

Except he won't play unless he can start. And There's only two potential positions he can start at. Skims it down a bit.

Drachen
10-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Why would he turn down more money in China (where they would damn near worship him) to go play in Istanbul?

Istanbul is an extremely metropolitan city. Its really beautiful. He doesn't want to go to China because he likes to breath.

Giuseppe
10-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Food for thought. It'll be quite an upgrade over Philly/after dark & Detroit/24-7.

Drachen
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Food for thought. It'll be quite an upgrade over Philly/after dark & Detroit/24-7.

Ok, Guiseppe, that was probably the first thing that you have posted that I thought was even mildly entertaining. :lol

duncan228
10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
The Works: Allen Iverson in Turkey (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/12/the-works-allen-iverson-in-turkey-appreciating-popovich-bobca/)
By Bethlehem Shoals and Tom Ziller

...But first, what Allen Iverson's relocation says about our idea of legacy.

Bling Chaser

Back when Allen Iverson was rumored to be on his way to signing with a club in the Chinese Basketball Association, I argued that the pity and shock from American fans resulted primarily from our low level of enthusiasm about Chinese basketball. The deal fell through, though, and everyone's worst fears for Iverson -- that'd he become a man playing Allen Iverson covers in Shanghai, a veritable circus act -- were dismissed.

Now reports suggest A.I. is on the precipice of signing with Besiktas (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ar4ppcE0ZiM0n.KAOIY_WcO8vLYF?slug=ys-iversonturkey101110), a mid-rung Turkish club that is not participating in Euroleague (Europe's top competition) this season. Yahoo! reports that Iverson's business manager has confirmed that negotations are underway; the salary on the table looks to be about $2 million, or just above the NBA's veteran's minimum salary for a player of A.I.'s experience.

In other words, to remain a star, Iverson is willing to move to Turkey and play for a non-elite club for basically little financial benefit. Maybe, if the rumors about A.I.'s cash problems are true, Iverson has no choice and must take the most lucrative deal available. In that case, how would this be different than China? If Besiktas is ultimately anonymous, isn't it exactly the same as what Stephon Marbury is doing in China?

This, of course, fits Iverson's legend to a tee. Instead of chasing a ring in the NBA (something he could have tried last year, as well), he's chasing money and evidence he can still be a star in Istanbul. There's a certain pride threshold A.I. just can't allow himself to fall under; essentially, he's the opposite of Robert Horry, who (in appearances, at least) couldn't give two twitches of a goat's beard about elevating himself as an individual.

The irony is that in his selflessness, his obsession with winning, Horry found great personal fame, and even some ridiculous campaigns for the ultimate individual glory, a bust in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame. In pressing to keep his name in neon, Iverson has sullied said name, and has diverted onto a path reserved for the sport's tragic figures.

But that's not fair. Devotion to winning, known for veterans clinging to their careers for dear life as "ring-chasing," is just another iteration of the quest for personal glory. The concept of legacy is a weird one everywhere, but perhaps especially in America. Outside of sports, someone seeking to guarantee their legacy is seen as too calculating, too proud. Legacy is too abstract a goal for common man to focus on achieving.

But for athletes? It's all fans care about. How much of the LeBron James firefight was about whether his legacy could survive leaving Cleveland to get his title? A 26-year-old man, and we're debating his potential decision in the context of his legacy? We, as fans, largely focus all our attention on winning, on glory, on legacy. So we can't exactly blame athletes for following our lead.

Yet, that's no different than Iverson's quest. He just plays for a different team than most cats. A.I. is his own team, with his own rabid fanbase and his own version of championship. That championship probably includes a lot of crossovers and a lot of points. He can't do that in the NBA any more; he's burned too many bridges, and honestly, his wheels are losing rubber fast. Going to an inferior league, whether it be the Turkish table or otherwise, allows Iverson to stay on his quest. This is A.I.'s ring-chasing, and laughing at his misfortune only serves to call into question everything we believe about the ultimate goal of sports. Do so at your own existential peril. (TZ)

baseline bum
10-12-2010, 05:39 PM

It's siktir git lan ibne

jestersmash
10-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Allen iversons are a dime a dozen in the NBA. You give any above average ball handler the green light to shoot as often as he wants to and 40 minutes per game, and you have yourself a 20+ PPG player guaranteed. The all important factor to consider is - of course - how efficient is that 20 points per game?

Iverson has been the epitome of inefficiency since day 1. He's had only 3 or 4 actual all star-caliber years throughout his NBA career despite being named to the All Star team 9 times.

duncan228
10-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/)
By Tim Povtak

The news earlier this week that former NBA superstar Allen Iverson could be ending his career playing in Turkey made Larry Brown wince Thursday. It clearly bothered him.

Brown, now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats, was the one most responsible for molding Iverson into the player he became -- one of the league's all-time greats.

They were together -- often in a love/hate relationship -- for six seasons in Philadelphia, reaching the NBA Finals in 2001. During their run together, Iverson became the NBA's Most Valuable Player, led the league in scoring three times, and twice was named All-NBA first team.

"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''

Iverson, 35, is considering a $2 million, one-year offer from Besiktas Cola Turka (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/11/allen-iverson-reportedly-considers-offer-to-play-in-turkey/), according to his business partner Gary Moore. Iverson wanted to play this season in the NBA, but he found no one was interested, including the Bobcats.

He struggled last season with a variety of issues, starting the year and playing three games with Memphis, clashing with the coaching staff over his role before asking for his release. He later played 25 games with Philadelphia, averaged 13.9 points, but he left because of family issues.

Throughout his career, Iverson (6-0, 165 pounds) has been regarded as one of the toughest, pound-for-pound players in league history, both dynamic on the court but divisive in the locker room.

Brown said the Bobcats seriously considered signing Iverson last season, but he and majority partner Michael Jordan opted against it because of how it might affect the younger guards they were trying to develop.

"I remember an NBA coaches' meeting this summer, someone from the NBA staff, talking to me about 'hey this is not the way Allen should be ending his career,' " Brown said. "The commissioner (David Stern) doesn't want to see it happen like this. I feel terrible about it. He did so much for me, and my career.''

Although most everyone agrees that Iverson still could contribute to an NBA team, they also wonder how he would accept a reduced role after being a starter and star for so many years. It was an issue he never was comfortable with last season.

"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

DeadlyDynasty
10-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Larry Brown: Allen Iverson Deserves Better Than Finishing Career in Turkey (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/14/larry-brown-allen-iverson-deserves-better-than-finishing-career/)
By Tim Povtak

The news earlier this week that former NBA superstar Allen Iverson could be ending his career playing in Turkey made Larry Brown wince Thursday. It clearly bothered him.

Brown, now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats, was the one most responsible for molding Iverson into the player he became -- one of the league's all-time greats.

They were together -- often in a love/hate relationship -- for six seasons in Philadelphia, reaching the NBA Finals in 2001. During their run together, Iverson became the NBA's Most Valuable Player, led the league in scoring three times, and twice was named All-NBA first team.

"Nobody who has done as much as Allen has done for this league should have to be in Turkey playing, to end his career,'' Brown said before the Bobcats-Magic game Thursday. "We have one of the most special players ever in our sport, who still has something left. I feel terrible about this. That is not how he should be ending his career.''

Iverson, 35, is considering a $2 million, one-year offer from Besiktas Cola Turka (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/11/allen-iverson-reportedly-considers-offer-to-play-in-turkey/), according to his business partner Gary Moore. Iverson wanted to play this season in the NBA, but he found no one was interested, including the Bobcats.

He struggled last season with a variety of issues, starting the year and playing three games with Memphis, clashing with the coaching staff over his role before asking for his release. He later played 25 games with Philadelphia, averaged 13.9 points, but he left because of family issues.

Throughout his career, Iverson (6-0, 165 pounds) has been regarded as one of the toughest, pound-for-pound players in league history, both dynamic on the court but divisive in the locker room.

Brown said the Bobcats seriously considered signing Iverson last season, but he and majority partner Michael Jordan opted against it because of how it might affect the younger guards they were trying to develop.

"I remember an NBA coaches' meeting this summer, someone from the NBA staff, talking to me about 'hey this is not the way Allen should be ending his career,' " Brown said. "The commissioner (David Stern) doesn't want to see it happen like this. I feel terrible about it. He did so much for me, and my career.''

Although most everyone agrees that Iverson still could contribute to an NBA team, they also wonder how he would accept a reduced role after being a starter and star for so many years. It was an issue he never was comfortable with last season.

"I wish I was in a position to help him, where it wouldn't affect the other guys I'm coaching,'' Brown said. "He needs to be on a great team that has a chance to win (a championship) and could utilize what he does. He doesn't need to be in Turkey.''

No he doesn't, and he should feel lucky to even be playing over there...he's an old broken-down chucker, team cancer, and has absolutely no interest in helping out the younger guys (a la Billups). It's kinda sad, but there's simply no use for him anymore

Giuseppe
10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
^ Exactly, and for Brown to get his Charlie McCarthy on whilst Edgar "Stern" Bergen pulls the strings is quite comical.