PDA

View Full Version : Penny waived

dbestpro
10-11-2010, 07:14 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/10/spurs-waive-pen.html

Did not see a thread on it and it the blog was posted today at 2:20.

ulosturedge
10-11-2010, 07:29 PM
:wakeup

ChuckD
10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Cousin is next. There is no way they keep 6 bigs on any roster less than 15 players.

benefactor
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Welcome to yesterday.

timtonymanu
10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
IMO, Gist is next. Then Cousin. Then Jerrells. I dont think Simmons will be cut but then I dont know if he's gonna make the team for sure either.

ChuckD
10-11-2010, 08:40 PM
IMO, Gist is next. Then Cousin. Then Jerrells. I dont think Simmons will be cut but then I dont know if he's gonna make the team for sure either.

I don't think Gist is any better, but the wing spots are more up for grabs. The five bigs are set in stone already. Keeping Cousin risks other teams seeing him and making a grab. I think they want him in Austin.

Spurminator
10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
A Penny waived is a Penny earned.

(Ahthankyou)

galvatron3000
10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Cousin needs to be sent to Austin, later for Gist, Jerells. Temple should be kept and Gee and Simmons is the battle for the Sf I could careless about. Looks like Anderson may earn minutes there and Simmons or Gee will get to ride the pine and the third option or something in that vein.

nbaman99
10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162976

bus driver
10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
sounds like i didnt miss anything special....

duncan228
10-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Kirk Penney still after American dream (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/4241623/Penney-still-after-American-dream)
By Marc Hinton

The NZ Breakers have confirmed franchise player Kirk Penney will not be back for their NBL home opener next Wednesday night and that his return date is indefinite.

Penney has remained in the United States after being waived by the San Antonio Spurs last Monday in his quest to earn a place in the NBA.

He is now investigating his options elsewhere in the league.

The Breakers say Penney has not given up hope of being picked up by another NBA club and has not yet shifted his mindset to returning to New Zealand.

He remains contracted to the North Shore club but they will not look to force any issues at an emotional time for the 29-year-old Tall Blacks star.

This is possibly Penney's last shot at breaking into the NBA and he reportedly took it hard when the Spurs passed on his services.

He had high hopes his performances at the recent world championships, where he was the second leading individual scorer, would prove a catalyst for a return to the world's biggest league.

The Breakers wisely have determined it's best to let Penney exhaust his options in the States and that there is no sense in forcing him to come back when his mind would not be on the job.

"He's doing what he needs to do in terms of knowing he's given it his every shot," said Breakers general manager Richard Clarke.

"He's going through teams that have a guard spot they haven't signed and making sure he's putting himself in front of those teams.

"Then, if he doesn't get picked up by anyone, he'll be back."

Clarke said Penney was now no chance of returning for the home opener against the Perth Wildcats, and that the earliest possible return date could be the second home match against he Melbourne Tigers on October 28.

It was about being sensible and putting the long-term good ahead of short-term gains.

"We don't want him backuntil he's ready to play for us and has got the NBA thing out of his system. Once he's ready to be a Breaker he will be able to help us. But we don't want him coming back distracted or distracting the other guys."

The Sydney Kings returned to the NBL after a 927-day absence to upset the Melbourne Tigers 84-68 on Friday night.

Booted out of the competition in 2008, the Kings hadn't played in the NBL since March 14 of that year, when they lost game five of the grand final playoff series to the Tigers.

They unveiled their new-look Kingdome, which has had a $1.3 million facelift, against the Breakers last night.