PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts

Nathan89
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I thought this was a great game that showed us spurs fans a lot about this upcoming season. I missed the first half but got to watch every bit of the second half. Now for my thoughts on what I saw:

Dejuan Blair- He is truly playing like a beast. I didn't think it was possible but he is playing better than we advertised him to be. His game seems to be improving rapidly. His best play is taking someone off the dribble with a spin move to separate from the defensive player. He has great touch all around the basket. It appear that his jumper and overall intelligence for the game has improved. All this on top of his rebounding ability. The only concern to have about him is defensively.

Tim Duncan- He has lost a step but is still a great pf with all-star written all over him. He is still capable of putting up big points and rebounds. It was also nice to see him stroke a couple of outside jumpers. The only concern was a couple of careless turnovers that may have been caused by him losing a step.

Jerrels- I haven't seen much of this guy yet but he was very impressive in the second half. The concern I have with him is some of his decision making. I saw him jack up a unnecessary shot and that is not allow on this team. Other than that I still do not think he will play if we do sign him. Tony and Hill will consume all of the pg min.

Bonner- All I have to say about this guy is he played well. He hit some threes and he brought some energy. Can't ask anything more from this guy.

Richard Jefferson- Unfortunately he is still as bad as he was last year. He is a liability on both end of the court. The glaring problem that keeps us away from being true contenders for a championship. On offense he does absolutely nothing and he still lacks intensity. The only things he should do on half court offense are shoot wide open shots, slash to the basket, and make the occasional pass from the top of the key. I never want to see him trying to drive from the top of the key. This never turns out well for the spurs.

Anderson- I didn't see much of him but what I did see I did not like. I saw him get blown by on defense which makes me question that part of his game. On offense I saw him pass up a wide open shot, to drive for a out of control layup. This makes me question his decision making. I also have concerns with his confidence, it seems like he is afraid to take shots.

Simmons- Didn't see much but he did look kinda slow. He also missed a couple shots. One was a three and he was way off. The other was a easy put back. He did hit a big shot at the end for us though. If he wants to play he will have to be lights out because his defense looks suspect.

Neal- Game winner is all I noticed.

The other guys- Some of them I missed because I only watched the second half and the others didn't stand out.

Coach Pop- I think he did a great job in letting manu coach the last play. I felt that this took pressure off the guys increasing the likelihood that the shot will be made. In the long-term this leadership role will pay off for the chemistry of this team. Player will respect him more, which will allow manu to get the team in line when he needs to.

I just really enjoyed this game. Can't wait to see what this team can do when splitter is comes back. This should be a great season. A championship season is depending on Rj.

I want to hear some of your thoughts spurs fans.

DPG21920
10-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Shouldn't this be called "Half Game Thoughts" tbh?

Nathan89
10-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Well give me your thoughts on the game. I gave my thoughts for the second half.

ace3g
10-13-2010, 12:01 AM
I have to disagree on Anderson playing bad defense, he contested well, forced guys into bad shots, and got a few defensive rebounds

FuzzyLumpkins
10-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I have to disagree on Anderson playing bad defense, he contested well, forced guys into bad shots, and got a few defensive rebounds

I thought he looked pretty good on the glass as well.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I only read timvp's version of spurs history.

ShoogarBear
10-13-2010, 12:16 AM
My Game Thoughts:

Blake Griffin, holy crap.

He would have been the perfect guy for Duncan to pass the Silver and Black Torch to.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2010, 12:17 AM
I'd have comments, except for some reason the NBA won't let me buy ILPNBA yet... bastards.

Those RJ comments scare me and thrill me with vindication at the same time. :D :vomit:

Solid D
Jerrells was a huge difference-maker in turning the game around for the Spurs tonight. He pressured the ball on defense, he made some key energy shots including a 3 when the Spurs weren't getting out of their own way. It was contagious. Hill, Anderson, Simmons, Duncan, Blair...they all kicked it into gear and closed the gap.

RuffnReadyOzStyle

C'mon man, I bet you read Chopper's too! :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Also, nice to see Solid D and Shoogarbear wear their first team medals! Something to aspire to. ;)

Nathan89
10-13-2010, 12:20 AM

These are just some quick initial thoughts I had after the game. I just wanted some quick feedback. It would never be noticed in the game thread so I had to start my own. I know Timvp is going to start a great thread but I didn't want to wait. Until that time this thread should be sufficient for any thoughts about the game.

Thanks for your thoughts.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 12:21 AM
You really missed the worst part... The first half was painful to watch

Nathan89
10-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I'd have comments, except for some reason the NBA won't let me buy ILPNBA yet... bastards.

Those RJ comments scare me and thrill me with vindication at the same time. :D :vomit:

Sometimes you just want to be wrong.

ducks
10-13-2010, 12:24 AM

if you can not post something nice do not post

ShoogarBear
10-13-2010, 12:34 AM

So what do you think about the Heat's chances this year?

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 12:40 AM

Be nice, When Timvp's not around others picking up the slack is more than welcome. It's not a bad writeup, but I think most of it is actually wrong.

Blair was a beast, he lead the team in just about every single aspect of the game. Even though he had a few lapses, he was just about the only bright spot for the Spurs early on.

Duncan looked very comfortable and in flow for most of the game. His turnovers are about the same as we see from him every year. The nice thing is that he had the energy late to put in so go ahead buckets. For this early in the year he looks fantastic. He had a well rounded 17 pts and 13 boards.

Bonner- He hit a beautiful three to help win the game when it mattered. He still played too many minutes but he should get props for helping the team more than he hurt them tonight. Tiago better get here soon though.

Jefferson didn't do much early in the game and they called his number a few times to see if they could get him going early. It's too early to state that the off season work has done nothing for his game, but he is still struggling on this team. He did manage to get better as the game went on though He has 5 points and 5 boards in 22 minutes.

Tony Parker hit a few circus shots, but fell far short from running the team the way he should. He still paces the Spurs better than anybody else, but he's not playing at a championship level; his preseason has been somewhat lacking in terms of being the superstar he wants to be paid as.

Gary Neal is the sharp shooter he was billed as. He wasn't bad and deserves the chance to earn minutes on the team.

James Anderson played very well tonight, he was very active on defense and even though he didn't score as much as he should. The rookie has a good chance of making the Spurs a better team.

Bobby Simmons continues to play himself onto this team. He's rusty but I think the Spurs have to keep giving him the green light given his talent. I thought his maturity was one of the key things that gelled the Spurs defense in the third quarter.

Curtis Jarells continues to make Temple look like the lesser player. He actually played a hell of a good game. He was controlled and created the Spurs pacing during the crucial third quarter run. He was better than George Hill even.

George Hill, wake up. You're flat lining on us. For the key bench guy last year to be playing this poorly has me questioning his long term ability to spell Parker.

Manu made a better coach than player tonight. But hey that's Manu sometimes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Sometimes you just want to be wrong.

I sooooooooooo want to be wrong. But I'm probably not. :depressed

C'mon, it was funny. Get a SOH. :rolleyes