PDA

View Full Version : Splitter hopes to play Saturday

duncan228
10-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Popovich close to nailing down starting five (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/popovich_close_to_nailing_down_starting_five_10483 6544.html?showFullArticle=y)
By Jeff McDonald

Splitter update: Injured rookie Tiago Splitter hopes to be ready to play when his old Spanish League team, Caja Laboral, visits the AT&T Center for an exhibition game Saturday.

Nursing a strained muscle in his right calf, Splitter also knows it's not up to him.

“The pain will tell me when to play,” Splitter said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/popovich_close_to_nailing_down_starting_five_10483 6544.html?showFullArticle=y

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
:tu
If he's aiming toward Saturday, maybe we'll see him for sure on Monday.

DesignatedT
10-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Good. Hopefully he can be back for at least 2 out of the 4 remaining games of the preseason.

ace3g
10-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I figured he would be motivated to get back to play his old team, even if he doesn't he says he is feeling better each day; so he will be on the court soon.

crc21209
10-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Good to hear, can't wait to see Splitter in action..:tu

ShoogarBear
10-13-2010, 12:55 AM
The preseason starts Saturday.

ShoogarBear
10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
“The pain will tell me when to play,”

I hate to say this . . . but that sounds like something Beno would have said.

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Oh Sweet lord thank you.

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 12:59 AM
I hate to say this . . . but that sounds like something Beno would have said.

Um probably a translation thing.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Um probably a translation thing.

We all hope that's all there is to it...

EricB
10-13-2010, 02:10 AM
So if it still hurts saturday he should play?

I don't understand.

timvp
10-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Splitter has always been a bit of a drama queen regarding injuries. He has constantly dealt with a new ailment every couple weeks throughout his career. Let's hope it's just a low pain threshold issue that Pop can "correct" rather than he's actually injury prone.

Leonard Curse
10-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Splitter has always been a bit of a drama queen regarding injuries. He has constantly dealt with a new ailment every couple weeks throughout his career. Let's hope it's just a low pain threshold issue that Pop can "correct" rather than he's actually injury prone.

yeah get him hooked on vicadin ahaha jk although i often wonder how these guys dont pop pills like candy!?!?!?!?! or do they???:drool:

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 04:06 AM
Can Duncan and Blair co-exist? Popovich need only look at his 2007 NBA title team, which often paired Fabricio Oberto with Duncan in the frontcourt.

“If Timmy can play with Fab, he can play with DB,” Popovich said. “Those guys are similar, in that neither were really shooters.”

Since Blair seems to be settling is as the starter, it would sure help if Pop left Manu in the starting lineup, as well. We all know that both Blair and RJ benefit greatly from his playmaking abilities.

Meanwhile, it's good to see Blair and Tim developing a rapport with their high/low game. A lot of crisp passes between them.

lurker23
10-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Since Blair seems to be settling is as the starter, it would sure help if Pop left Manu in the starting lineup, as well. We all know that both Blair and RJ benefit greatly from his playmaking abilities.

Can we get a 2nd Manu? Everyone seems to play better with him on the court, lol.

However, you're right that RJ and Blair are probably the top two beneficiaries of his playmaking abilities. The next would probably be Hill, so that he doesn't have to be a true distributor when he's on the court w/o Parker. The question is whether the Spurs can keep Hill's time on the court w/o either Parker or Manu to a minimum, which becomes harder if Hill's not in the starting lineup. Nonetheless, your argument is a good one for keeping the starting lineup as it is for the time being.

Russ
10-13-2010, 05:06 AM
“The pain will tell me when to play,” Splitter said.

What a terrible way to refer to coach Pop.

TJastal
10-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Meanwhile, it's good to see Blair and Tim developing a rapport with their high/low game. A lot of crisp passes between them.

Good call on the Manu-Blair P&R connection, Senorspur. If Blair can develop into something halfway decent defensively he'll be able to handle the starting gig next to TD. His energy on the boards will be huge boon and take a load of pressure off Duncan.

TJastal
10-13-2010, 05:54 AM

:lol

mingus
10-13-2010, 06:17 AM
Blair will have to prove himself on the defensive side. though i'm not sure that his potential as a defender is anywhere near Splitter. i don't think the Spurs should forfeit the possibility of putting out their best possible defensive starting lineup, which i would think would have to include Splitter along with Duncan.

As good as Blair has been playing, it's hard to not see him as a starter. i think he should be our new sixth man though tbh. he doesn't need Manu like he did last year, as he has shown. i'm confident that given the opportunity he could anchor that second unit offensively.

DPG21920
10-13-2010, 08:21 AM
If Tiago's injuries were a problem, how is he going to adjust to an 82 game season

Muser
10-13-2010, 08:27 AM
If Tiago's injuries were a problem, how is he going to adjust to an 82 game season

He will get more rest in games than he did in Spain, but yeah the longer season is a worry.

MaNu4Tres
10-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Same way Manu does every year.

Sevening and Brungy get paid for a reason.

Mark in Austin
10-13-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm curious how much a world class training staff will help with that as well...

yavozerb
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Lets not forget that it is only preseason...I believe he would be playing right now if the season was underway..just a guess though

rmt
10-13-2010, 09:42 AM
When Splitter returns from his injury, I hope that he stays in the starting lineup. Pop needs to stop fooling around with the lineup as he did last year and stick to one lineup that matches up with playoff teams and develop the bench's chemistry (like Phoenix's bench did).

Blair is not a long-term solution as a starter as he can't match up with the big front lines (LAL). Start Duncan (30mins) and Splitter (30) with Blair rotating in (30 mins. a night playing mostly with Manu). Dice should get spot minutes and Bonner should be glued to the bench as insurance for injury or play only on back to backs.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 11:19 AM
When Splitter returns from his injury, I hope that he stays in the starting lineup. Pop needs to stop fooling around with the lineup as he did last year and stick to one lineup that matches up with playoff teams and develop the bench's chemistry (like Phoenix's bench did).

Blair is not a long-term solution as a starter as he can't match up with the big front lines (LAL). Start Duncan (30mins) and Splitter (30) with Blair rotating in (30 mins. a night playing mostly with Manu). Dice should get spot minutes and Bonner should be glued to the bench as insurance for injury or play only on back to backs.

Yeah, I mentioned the Blair concern in another thread. That is what worries me about him. Even though he been arguably the Spurs best player in the preseason, he's not going to grow any taller - which will be a concern versus the likes of the taller frontlines (Fakers, Blazers and possibly Mavs).

Even if Blair starts alongside Tim to begin the season, it could very well be temporary. However if Pop decides to change the starting lineup and elect to insert Splitter in place of Blair, look for that to happen prior to a regular season matchup with the Fakers - especially if the Spurs are on a losing streak.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm curious how much a world class training staff will help with that as well...

I don't know. Maybe the Spurs will get one soon.

duncan228
10-13-2010, 03:56 PM
On Splitter's injury (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/october/on-splitters-injury.html)
by Jeff Garcia
Project Spurs

After suffering a strained plantaris muscle in his right calf, San Antonio Spurs' rookie Tiago Splitter will be out of action for up to two weeks. He missed the Spurs' road preseason game in Mexico City against the Los Angeles Clippers and will miss the preseason game in Pittsburgh against the Cleveland Cavaliers as he continues to recover:

Though the initial prognosis for Splitter indicated he would be re-evaluated seven to 10 days after straining the muscle on the third day of training camp, it may be another 10 days to two weeks before he is cleared to play. In all likelihood, he won't be ready to suit up against Caja Laboral, the team he led to the Spanish League title last season. (source Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_splitter_will_not_play_on_road_trip_10468167 9.html))

The immediate health of Splitter should be something the Spurs need to watch closely. Prior to joining the team he was already dealing with a litany of injuries.

During the summer Splitter was injured at the Super Four Basketball tournament in Brazil suffering a left thigh contusion where he sat out the rest of the tournament. Also, days before the 2010 FIBA World Championship he sat out of a tune-up game in France also due to injury. Let's not forget he played in the Spanish Finals this summer with his former team Caja Laboral.

He then joined the Brazilian national team at the 2010 FIBA World Championship where he averaged 25 minutes per game and there was a report the Brazilian national team was hiding a leg injury he suffered while in Turkey.

Granted Splitter is young and will be able to bounce back but leading up to joining the Spurs he has had a long offseason and might not be coming in fresh.

However, it is quite possible with little rest in the summer, Spurs fans could hear more news regarding Splitter suffering from nagging injuries once the regular season is underway.

Seems Splitter is the one in need of time to rest more than anyone on the team.

crc21209
10-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Damn this guy better be ready to go on Day 1 of the regular season...

duncan228
10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Under-the-radar injuries to watch (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/10/13/under-the-radar-injuries-to-watch/)
Zach Lowe
The Point Forward
SI.com

• Tiago Splitter, San Antonio.

Splitter is a hugely important player this season. The 7-footer, just 25, represents true relief for Tim Duncan. He’s an honest-to-goodness center (unlike DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess) capable of spelling Duncan for significant minutes and guarding the true bigs of the league, leaving Duncan to deal with slightly less arduous defensive assignments.

But Splitter’s return date remains unclear as he recovers from an injury to his plantaris muscle. That’s a muscle in your calf that humans no longer use, according to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs_splitter_will_not_play_on_road_trip_10468167 9.html). Splitter may be inactive through the regular-season opener and possibly beyond, officials told Monroe.

The Spurs need their aging core in top condition in May in order to contend. Any prolonged absence from their young rotation players — starting now — hurts the case.

ShoogarBear
10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

:lmao

Solid D
10-13-2010, 06:06 PM
On Splitter's injury (http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/october/on-splitters-injury.html)
by Jeff Garcia
Project Spurs

After suffering a strained plantaris muscle in his right calf, San Antonio Spurs' rookie Tiago Splitter will be out of action for up to two weeks. He missed the Spurs' road preseason game in Mexico City against the Los Angeles Clippers and will miss the preseason game in Pittsburgh against the Cleveland Cavaliers as he continues to recover:

Though the initial prognosis for Splitter indicated he would be re-evaluated seven to 10 days after straining the muscle on the third day of training camp, it may be another 10 days to two weeks before he is cleared to play. In all likelihood, he won't be ready to suit up against Caja Laboral, the team he led to the Spanish League title last season. (source Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/spurs_splitter_will_not_play_on_road_trip_10468167 9.html))

The immediate health of Splitter should be something the Spurs need to watch closely. Prior to joining the team he was already dealing with a litany of injuries.

During the summer Splitter was injured at the Super Four Basketball tournament in Brazil suffering a left thigh contusion where he sat out the rest of the tournament. Also, days before the 2010 FIBA World Championship he sat out of a tune-up game in France also due to injury. Let's not forget he played in the Spanish Finals this summer with his former team Caja Laboral.

He then joined the Brazilian national team at the 2010 FIBA World Championship where he averaged 25 minutes per game and there was a report the Brazilian national team was hiding a leg injury he suffered while in Turkey.

Granted Splitter is young and will be able to bounce back but leading up to joining the Spurs he has had a long offseason and might not be coming in fresh.

However, it is quite possible with little rest in the summer, Spurs fans could hear more news regarding Splitter suffering from nagging injuries once the regular season is underway.

Seems Splitter is the one in need of time to rest more than anyone on the team.

http://www.chinaandglassrepairs.com/images/Doll_Girl_Broken_edited.jpg

DAF86
10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Same way Manu does every year.

Sevening and Brungy get paid for a reason.

Manu wasn't seen as "injury prone" in Europe.

Ditty
10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
let him rest championships aren't won in ocotober and november like we spurs fans should already know that they can already beat alot of teams even without splitter

crc21209
10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Under-the-radar injuries to watch (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2010/10/13/under-the-radar-injuries-to-watch/)
Zach Lowe
The Point Forward
SI.com

• Tiago Splitter, San Antonio.

Splitter is a hugely important player this season. The 7-footer, just 25, represents true relief for Tim Duncan. He’s an honest-to-goodness center (unlike DeJuan Blair and Antonio McDyess) capable of spelling Duncan for significant minutes and guarding the true bigs of the league, leaving Duncan to deal with slightly less arduous defensive assignments.

But Splitter’s return date remains unclear as he recovers from an injury to his plantaris muscle. That’s a muscle in your calf that humans no longer use, according to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs_splitter_will_not_play_on_road_trip_10468167 9.html). Splitter may be inactive through the regular-season opener and possibly beyond, officials told Monroe.

The Spurs need their aging core in top condition in May in order to contend. Any prolonged absence from their young rotation players — starting now — hurts the case.

WTF?!?! I thought he was only going to be out a week to 2 tops.

angelbelow
10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Awesome news, cant wait!

ace3g
10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN Jeff McDonald
Pop says Splitter probably physically able to play but, "Popovich is probably going to hold him back." #spurs

ace3g
10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Splitter won't play tonight or Sat vs his old mates at Caja Laboral.

Splitter's been playing year-round for past decade. Pop: "His body's been talking to him all summer. We're going to make him listen."

Dex
10-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Pop says Splitter probably physically able to play but, "Popovich is probably going to hold him back." #spurs

Confusing quote by JMac. Is Pop talking in the third person, or is this a quote from somebody else (or McDonald quoting himself?) As a writer, he would be better off not falling into the habit of treating Twitter like the bone yard of the English language.

jjktkk
10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I mentioned the Blair concern in another thread. That is what worries me about him. Even though he been arguably the Spurs best player in the preseason, he's not going to grow any taller - which will be a concern versus the likes of the taller frontlines (Fakers, Blazers and possibly Mavs).

Even if Blair starts alongside Tim to begin the season, it could very well be temporary. However if Pop decides to change the starting lineup and elect to insert Splitter in place of Blair, look for that to happen prior to a regular season matchup with the Fakers - especially if the Spurs are on a losing streak.

It wasn't too long ago, that the Spurs had a undersized, energy guy, who gave the Spurs some good toughness off the Bench. Malik Rose anyone? Don't really know if Blair and Rose are all that similar, but they both do have the same pedigree, with Blair posessing a higher ceiling, in terms of overall talent imo.