PDA

View Full Version : Why the Spurs have to keep Simmons.

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Bobby Simmons, has admittedly done nothing so far to earn a spot on a shortened roster, but every spurs fan should be praying he makes the team.

I think Spurs fans are quick to jump on Simmons given Pop's history with certain players hearkening back to giving minutes to Finley, Van Excel, Bonner, Steve Smith, etc.

Simmons definitely runs the risk of being a bad player for the Spurs. But unlike every other player just mentioned there really isn't a young gun sitting just behind him on the bench. There is no Stephen Jackson or George Hill just chomping at the bit to compete for those minutes at the small forward position. Gee and James Anderson would be stop gap measures at best for any minutes they play at that position.

Simmons on the other hand can only take minutes away from two players. Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson. And if he starts dropping some of the rust for that to happen, he will be someone the Spurs can't do without. A small ball forward who can shift to the 4, create spacing and hit the three.

He hasn't done anything to show that yet, but his attitude is right. No player can take the 6th man player of the year without having a work ethic. The Spurs have to give this guy a chance to drop the rust, and it could be just that. Rust.

Is Simmons a long term answer? not even close, but Richard Jefferson just got a long term contract, and that means Simmons is the closest we are going to get at this point in the year. You can hope for a trade, but don't hope that Simmon's just gets cut.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Simmons could be a stop-gap until Wilson Chandler arrives.

There. I said it.

Solid D
10-13-2010, 01:26 AM
I thought Simmons played a smarter positional defense than RJ against the Clips. He even played the 4 and defended Griffen a couple of times. He helped in the lane and forced a turnover. He even made the game-winning assist.

He wasn't all bad.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 01:28 AM
He has size... and that's about it.

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 01:28 AM

There. I said it.

I have no problem with that, like I said. The Spurs don't have any other answers and as bad as Jefferson is playing in the preseason and with Bonner the other small ball four, Simmons has to make the team.

Ditty
10-13-2010, 01:29 AM

There. I said it.

:toast

rather not have simmons still and give the younger guys the minutes

analyzed
10-13-2010, 03:14 AM
Unless your planning of giving Anderson less than 15 min a game. (not giving him a chance to develop) you have no choice but to not play simmons or anyone outside of RJ, Hill , manu and Parker. Just look at the minutes. there simlply is not enough to distribute among the 5 players mentioned plus another player like Simmons. Sorry this guy ain't playing or anyone else outside the 5 perimeter mentoned

DespЏrado
10-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Unless your planning of giving Anderson less than 15 min a game. (not giving him a chance to develop) you have no choice but to not play simmons or anyone outside of RJ, Hill , manu and Parker. Just look at the minutes. there simlply is not enough to distribute among the 5 players mentioned plus another player like Simmons. Sorry this guy ain't playing or anyone else outside the 5 perimeter mentoned

That's true if you play him only as a guard/ wing. But that's not where you place him in the rotation. Simmons is the situational defensive 3/4 who eats only into the minutes of Jefferson when he is off and Bonner when we need a stretch 4. Tonight Griffen started going off on Jefferson and Blair. In a game like that whose number do you want Pop to call? Because if you cut Simmons he's going to start throwing Bonner at him and hope for the best.

Simmons has got a good history of playing that role, and that is where he is most needed.

He is what Gist was attempting to become and failed, and I'm hoping his lack of real production so far is more due to rust.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 03:54 AM
One of the "hidden" bonuses of Simmons, is that his presence appears to keep Pop from using Anderson at the 3 spot. I, for one, would rather Anderson be used strictly at the 2-guard spot. Anderson will have enough trouble adjusting to the speed at this level, without having to guard the bigger SFs in the NBA. He's certainly not accomplished enough of a defender, nor does he have the strength needed to take on that level of additional responsibility.

ChuckD
10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
One of the "hidden" bonuses of Simmons, is that his presence appears to keep Pop from using Anderson at the 3 spot. I, for one, would rather Anderson be used strictly at the 2-guard spot. Anderson will have enough trouble adjusting to the speed at this level, without having to guard the bigger SFs in the NBA. He's certainly not accomplished enough of a defender, nor does he have the strength needed to take on that level of additional responsibility.

If you're worried about his adjusting to NBA speed, well, there's a LOT more of it at the two than at the three. The three is where you stash players lacking great lateral quickness on D. You certainly don't stick them at the two spot.

TJastal
10-13-2010, 07:15 AM
That's true if you play him only as a guard/ wing. But that's not where you place him in the rotation. Simmons is the situational defensive 3/4 who eats only into the minutes of Jefferson when he is off and Bonner when we need a stretch 4. Tonight Griffen started going off on Jefferson and Blair. In a game like that whose number do you want Pop to call? Because if you cut Simmons he's going to start throwing Bonner at him and hope for the best.

Simmons has got a good history of playing that role, and that is where he is most needed.

He is what Gist was attempting to become and failed, and I'm hoping his lack of real production so far is more due to rust.

Gist never really got a chance to develop into this role. And from what I've seen he's better defensively and plays with more energy. Everything I've read about Simmons so far (from Timvp and others) has been the guy is washed up, 2nd coming of Bogans, etc.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
It's probably too late for Simmons to become a defensive stopper. I don't know if it's injuries or whatever, but he just doesn't seem to have the footwork or quickness.

On the other hand, I believe Gist could develop into becoming the team's premiere defensive stopper. He's got the desire, he's got the motor. I don't know why he's not getting the chance.

#2!
10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Gist never really got a chance to develop into this role. And from what I've seen he's better defensively and plays with more energy. Everything I've read about Simmons so far (from Timvp and others) has been the guy is washed up, 2nd coming of Bogans, etc.

You should try thinking for yourself. A fucking trip, man.

hater
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
as bad as Bonner and RJ are. Simmons sucks exponentially more than them. cut his ass

spectator
10-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Bobby Simmons, has admittedly done nothing so far to earn a spot on a shortened roster, but every spurs fan should be praying he makes the team.

I think Spurs fans are quick to jump on Simmons given Pop's history with certain players hearkening back to giving minutes to Finley, Van Excel, Bonner, Steve Smith, etc.

Simmons definitely runs the risk of being a bad player for the Spurs. But unlike every other player just mentioned there really isn't a young gun sitting just behind him on the bench. There is no Stephen Jackson or George Hill just chomping at the bit to compete for those minutes at the small forward position. Gee and James Anderson would be stop gap measures at best for any minutes they play at that position.

Simmons on the other hand can only take minutes away from two players. Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson. And if he starts dropping some of the rust for that to happen, he will be someone the Spurs can't do without. A small ball forward who can shift to the 4, create spacing and hit the three.

He hasn't done anything to show that yet, but his attitude is right. No player can take the 6th man player of the year without having a work ethic. The Spurs have to give this guy a chance to drop the rust, and it could be just that. Rust.

Is Simmons a long term answer? not even close, but Richard Jefferson just got a long term contract, and that means Simmons is the closest we are going to get at this point in the year. You can hope for a trade, but don't hope that Simmon's just gets cut.

dude, i assume that you also watched his pre-season games so far. his defense is not average, not mediocre, not even passable; it's downright atrocious. he is way, way too slow. he most certainly should not guard opposing PFs. even though i cannot believe that i am saying this - i would rather have bonner defend opposing PFs and stretch the floor. i think simmons is more of a pipe dream to make the team than anything else. heck, i would even take the centerpiece over him. the only reason that i would think of for keeping him on the roster is that he's coming back from injury and he has not reached his peak. however, how do we know that he hasn't already reached that point? older players are more affected by injuries (on average) than younger ones.

Cane
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
He seems worse or at best around the same level as Bogans from what he's shown so far.

ohmwrecker
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
:toast

rather not have simmons still and give the younger guys the minutes

The young guys, save Anderson, are not earning the time. Simmons is out of shape and a lot of his physical tools have left him, but out of all the guys struggling to make this team, he is by far the smartest and it's starting to show on the court.

DesignatedT
10-13-2010, 12:44 PM
He is far superior offensively to Bogans and not even close defensively to Bogans. Depending on what Pop sees from Gee will decide whether Simmons stays or not. Obviously 1 of them has to stay and Gee is still unproven at this point... that being said it doesn't seem like he's getting much of a chance.

DesignatedT
10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I think Bobby could end up being a good fit. He definitely isn't the defensive stopper were all looking for but then again who do we have that is? He does have a very high basketball IQ and knows the game. It's early though, well see what happens in the next 4 pre-season games.

ChumpDumper
10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
No more slow guys.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 01:48 PM
The whole "let's talk ourselves into signing shit because anything else in the team right now stinks worse" is completely retarded.

This is like advocating resigning Bogans, which in due time will mean that Hill will have to play the wing, and a contract with no upside stuffing the end of the bench.

The Spurs don't have to sign Simmons. They don't have to choose from the pool they have right now either.

They can look at waivers, or keep moving Hill in the corner with the 3 guard setup until they can pull some trade that brings an usable backup wing.

yavozerb
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Simmons looks like he is 40 yrs old out there...I would rather play someone undersized who can move, play good defense, and only a slightly worse 3 pt shooter than play Simmons. I really see Anderson taking over as the back up 3 coming out of preseason though.

objective
10-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Simmons make me miss Bogans

crc21209
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
It's probably too late for Simmons to become a defensive stopper. I don't know if it's injuries or whatever, but he just doesn't seem to have the footwork or quickness.

On the other hand, I believe Gist could develop into becoming the team's premiere defensive stopper. He's got the desire, he's got the motor. I don't know why he's not getting the chance.

Injuries and age...

crc21209
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Simmons looks like he is 40 yrs old out there...I would rather play someone undersized who can move, play good defense, and only a slightly worse 3 pt shooter than play Simmons. I really see Anderson taking over as the back up 3 coming out of preseason though.

Hell yeah he looked extremely sluggish out there, give me someone who can at least stay in front of their defender...

DesignatedT
10-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Simmons make me miss Bogans

The amount of criticism and heat Bogans got on this board last year remains ridiculous. I'm definitely glad he is gone but his defense blows anything we have on this roster out of the water... and then certain posters are sitting there complaining that we "don't have a serviceable defender"... Well he was actually more than serviceable and these posters shat all over him last season.

crc21209
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
The amount of criticism and heat Bogans got on this board last year remains ridiculous. I'm definitely glad he is gone but his defense blows anything we have on this roster out of the water... and then certain posters are sitting there complaining that we "don't have a serviceable defender"... Well he was actually more than serviceable and these posters shat all over him last season.

Exactly. Although Bogans wasnt exactly "a lock down defender" he looks like Bruce Bowen compared to anybody we have out there at that position right now...

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 04:52 PM
No he doesn't. Bogans couldn't play defense. What he could do is look like Bruce Bowen if you squinted your eyes a little bit. He might have been a small step up from Finley, but Finley was horrid. There are at least five guards currently on the team that are better defenders than Bogans.

DesignatedT
10-13-2010, 05:28 PM
No he doesn't. Bogans couldn't play defense. What he could do is look like Bruce Bowen if you squinted your eyes a little bit. He might have been a small step up from Finley, but Finley was horrid. There are at least five guards currently on the team that are better defenders than Bogans.

Well I was talking more about Bogans playing the 3 which he did a lot last season. He is a better defender than Simmons,Gee,RJ and any others we have playing that position. Obviously he isn't a better defender than Hill, Tony and Manu. He was here to fill the void left by Bruce just like what we are trying to do now.

Bruno
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Bobby Simmons = Devean George.

If Simmons plays significant minutes, Spurs' fans will hate him as much as Mavs fans hated Devean George.

Now, Spurs must carry 13 players. Gee, Gist and Cousins haven't shown they deserve more a roster spot than Simmons. Simmons isn't a worst options to fill the 13th spot than the other available ones.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Now, Spurs must carry 13 players. Gee, Gist and Cousins haven't shown they deserve more a roster spot than Simmons. Simmons isn't a worst options to fill the 13th spot than the other available ones.

The problem with signing Simmons is that they couldn't assign him to the Toros to create a roster spot if some trade would become available later on where they would need the extra spot. Something I believe they can do with Gee, Cousins and Jerrels(?).

Bruno
10-13-2010, 05:49 PM
The problem with signing Simmons is that they couldn't assign him to the Toros to create a roster spot if some trade would become available later on where they would need the extra spot. Something I believe they can do with Gee, Cousins and Jerrels(?).

First, Spurs will carry 13 players and still have 2 roster spot.
Second, assigning a player to Austin doesn't create a roster spot.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
First, Spurs will carry 13 players and still have 2 roster spot.

I understand that.

Second, assigning a player to Austin doesn't create a roster spot.

This I didn't know. Thanks.

Bruno
10-13-2010, 05:54 PM
And I agree with you that Spurs should keep an eye on waivers because someone better than Simmons could be cut at the end of the month. However, it isn't the case for the moment and Simmons isn't worst than what is available.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
And I agree with you that Spurs should keep an eye on waivers because someone better than Simmons could be cut at the end of the month. However, it isn't the case for the moment and Simmons isn't worst than what is available.

You think Simmons would take the vet min? I think that would give the Spurs wiggle room to buy him out and take him out of the lux tax before January if they find something before the end of the year.

Bruno
10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
You think Simmons would take the vet min? I think that would give the Spurs wiggle room to buy him out and take him out of the lux tax before January if they find something before the end of the year.

Simmons has already signed a vet min non-guaranteed contract.

TD 21
10-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Speaking of waivers, I have a hunch that the Nets will cut Ross. They have quantity, if not (a alot of) quality on the wings and brought in a similar player in Graham, who's been playing ahead of Ross in the preseason. Despite having a guaranteed contract, I believe he's making the veteran's minimum, so it's not like it would cost a great deal to cut him.

Strengths: Has always been known as an above average defender.

Weaknesses: Has the body of a two, but the game of a three. He's slender (193) and would more than likely be overpowered by big, powerful wings. Has improved as his career has gone on, but is still a sub-par three-point shooter.

I would not be shocked if the Spurs picked him up, should he get cut. If it's strictly defense they're looking for, he'd probably instantly be the best on-ball defender on the team.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Simmons has already signed a vet min non-guaranteed contract.

I see. thanks.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Well I was talking more about Bogans playing the 3 which he did a lot last season. He is a better defender than Simmons,Gee,RJ and any others we have playing that position. Obviously he isn't a better defender than Hill, Tony and Manu. He was here to fill the void left by Bruce just like what we are trying to do now.

I sort of see what you're saying, but you overstated it a bit; Bogans doesn't look like Bruce Bowen compared to any of them.

TD 21
10-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Another waivers option could be Green. Apparently Harris has outplayed him significantly, Green is non-guaranteed and there's more than likely only going to be one spot available for these two.

Green had a reputation as a solid defender when he was drafted in '09, but if he can't make the Cavs roster, a team without a starting caliber SF, then that's not a good sign. If he is in fact cut, he should still merit consideration, though.

objective
10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
watching the Celtics-Knicks game right now and Lasme isn't playing half bad as a defender/hustler. Can't shoot 3s, but has good size and decent athleticism and is moving much, much better than Simmons. He'll be cut because the Celtics already have their 15.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I thought Simmons played a smarter positional defense than RJ against the Clips. He even played the 4 and defended Griffen a couple of times. He helped in the lane and forced a turnover. He even made the game-winning assist.

He wasn't all bad.

Admittedly haven't watched any preseason ball, but this has always been Bobby's calling card. Smart defender on the wing.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Another waivers option could be Green. Apparently Harris has outplayed him significantly, Green is non-guaranteed and there's more than likely only going to be one spot available for these two.

Green had a reputation as a solid defender when he was drafted in '09, but if he can't make the Cavs roster, a team without a starting caliber SF, then that's not a good sign. If he is in fact cut, he should still merit consideration, though.

You may get your wish:

http://news-herald.com/articles/2010/10/13/sports/nh3160372.txt

The writing could be on the wall for Danny Green.

Green, the Cavaliers' second-round pick in 2009, has struggled mightily in the preseason.

Rookie guard Manny Harris might have moved past him on the depth chart after back-to-back 14-point performances in the last two games.

"He did a heck of a job (against the Dallas Mavericks on Monday)," Cavs coach Byron Scott said. "(He) made some plays for us down the stretch and did a really good job defensively, getting some big-time steals, and just very active and aggressive on that end of the court which I think is the thing that is really helping."

Another reason why Green could be in a precarious position, his $762,195 contract is not guaranteed. If he's on the opening-day roster, only $125,000 is guaranteed.

Harris' playing time — and possible roster spot — might come at the expense of Green. In Scott's Princeton offense, both guards have to handle the ball and bring it up the court.

Green has turned the ball over repeatedly in the preseason. He has five turnovers in 41 minutes played. Scott might have been tired of watching Green's miscues and benched him in both weekend games.

The North Carolina product might be fighting for his NBA existence in the next few games, starting with Thursday's contest at the Petersen Events Center in Pittsburgh against the San Antonio Spurs.

Green is averaging 2.5 points and is shooting 20 percent from the field in three preseason games.

JustinJDW
10-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Eh, some people just don't like Simmons because everyone always have their rotations and lineups set up during the Off-Season, so when a guy like Simmons is brought in, they don't like it. People are scared of change.

Anderson is too small to play the 3. At least on a consistent basic. Plus hes just a Rookie. I don't mind Simmons because having just one SF on the team would not be good. Can't be running 3-Guard "Nobody over 6'6" lineups all Season. Especially since it looks like Blair might be starting, so we are already undersized on that aspect.

People complain about size, so we finally bring in a guy who has a little size, and people still complain. A veteran here or there is good, especially when you bring in a lot of young talent in the Off-Season like Splitter, Anderson and Neal and still have young inexperienced guys like Hill, Blair, Temple and Jerrells.

#2!
10-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Eh, some people just don't like Simmons because everyone always have their rotations and lineups set up during the Off-Season, so when a guy like Simmons is brought in, they don't like it. People are scared of change.

Anderson is too small to play the 3. At least on a consistent basic. Plus hes just a Rookie. I don't mind Simmons because having just one SF on the team would not be good. Can't be running 3-Guard "Nobody over 6'6" lineups all Season. Especially since it looks like Blair might be starting, so we are already undersized on that aspect.

People complain about size, so we finally bring in a guy who has a little size, and people still complain. A veteran here or there is good, especially when you bring in a lot of young talent in the Off-Season like Splitter, Anderson and Neal and still have young inexperienced guys like Hill, Blair, Temple and Jerrells.

:tu

HarlemHeat37
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
The problem with Simmons is that he's extremely slow and unathletic, joining a team that already has severe problems with speed and athleticism..yes, his size is nice, but it won't mean anything when he can't keep up with any wing players..how is he going to use his size when he's always getting beat?..

Also, the Spurs are aiming for the Lakers..you absolutely can't beat the Lakers when you have slow players on the wing, it fits into their strategy..the Lakers are weak against athleticism and speed, they are not a noticeably athletic team..Kobe has also shown struggles against athletic/quick defenders, but he still eats up slow defenders..

The Spurs still desperately need some athleticism/speed on the wing..the counter-argument will be that there isn't anybody on the roster that can fit that role better than Simmons..I'll disregard Gee, and I'll say that I agree, Simmons will get a spot on the roster out of need, due to his shooting and size..

However, the Spurs are not winning a championship with their current lack of athleticism and speed on the perimeter..the only way they will improve that is with a trade..will it happen? too difficult to tell, and there probably won't be too many opportunities for the Spurs to address this, especially considering the current financial situation..I doubt we'll see a trade, this team will probably have to work with what it has, and rely on Jefferson to fill this role..

That's the primary reason I don't believe this team will make the Finals, even more of a concern than injuries..

Zero_Twilight
10-18-2010, 12:21 AM
I hope that Simmons gets the last spot. He's no Bruce Bowen but he's an upgrade over Udoka and Bogans. He also has something to prove which any coach can utilize when things get "rough and chipy" if you know what I mean.

analyzed
10-18-2010, 01:51 AM
What's all the fuzz, geez..were talking about the 13th man. It's not like he will get any PT. When was the last time our 13th man avg at least 4 min a game. BTW guys like Bogans, Udoka were not 13 men.