PDA

View Full Version : Jerrels is beating Temple for the 3rd point guard spot.

chasky
10-13-2010, 02:22 AM
In all the games has been playing better than Temple. Gary
played very well last season but he has been awfull this
preseason.

Spurs should waive Temple and keep Jerrels.

Ditty
10-13-2010, 02:23 AM
playing wise yeah...

nba ready and player needs ehhh...

Big P
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
I would keep Jerrels over Temple....dude can shoot lights out!

ChuckD
10-13-2010, 07:01 AM
In all the games has been playing better than Temple. Gary
played very well last season but he has been awfull this
preseason.

Spurs should waive Temple and keep Jerrels.

All TWO of the games so far?

I like Jerrells, and he can shoot, but he's even less of a PG than Hill.

Solid D
10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
All TWO of the games so far?

His ability to defend shorter, quicker 1s is a key decision factor.

dbestpro
10-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Jerrels has outplayed Temple in the preseason. Temple outplayed Jerrels during the regular season. My gut says they keep Temple and send him to Austin to correct his game. If he does not come around by Christmas he will be cut. Jerrels is another shooting guard in a point guard body. There really is no PT available for him. Can he be sent to Austin for another year? Is he worth a luxury tax penalty?

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Other than the fact that Jerrells played point guard for four years in college, right?

ohmwrecker
10-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Garrett Temple is not doing himself any favors right now and Jerrells is playing his best ball ever. It's going to be tough. If the Spurs don't find a way to hold on to Jerrells, somebody is going to pick him up.

TJastal
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
As somebody mentioned, unless the spurs think Temple can be a defensive stopper for small, quick guards like Nash (especially Nash), I think so far Jerrels is making a case that he can guard these types and can score points on top of that. Somebody even said the team played the best while he was at the helm which gives him even more bonus points.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
As somebody mentioned, unless the spurs think Temple can be a defensive stopper for small, quick guards like Nash (especially Nash), I think so far Jerrels is making a case that he can guard these types and can score points on top of that. Somebody even said the team played the best while he was at the helm which gives him even more bonus points.

Good observation.

I went back to read Jerrells profile on DraftExpress and found out that came out of college with a reputation as sort of "unwilling" defender. I'd be curious to know as to whether he's improved in that area or not?

Still, given Temple's length, one would think that HE has the edge over CJ on the defensive end. However there is no question that CJ has outplayed Temple, to date.

Cane
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I wonder if Temple's physically 100% after getting injured a few weeks ago, his play has nosedived.

duncan228
10-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Should the Spurs keep Curtis Jerrells? (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

We expected this from Alonzo Gee (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/07/26/alonzo-gee-san-antonio-spurs-las-vegas-summer-league/). He was the D-League Rookie of the Year and Spurs summer league standout. He’s a wing player, a position where the Spurs are short on everything — shooting, defense, athleticism, and length. But so far this preseason, Gee can’t find the court. Instead, his former Austin Toros teammate Curtis Jerrells (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/16/spurs-sign-curtis-jerrells/) is using training camp as a career stepping stone. Jerrells is one of the Spurs’ most productive players this preseason (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163766).

And last night, Jerrells sparked the Spurs to victory against the Clippers (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/12/san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-clippes-preseason-mexico-city/).

Jerrels entered the game with 2:34 remaining in the third. The score was 63-78, bad guys. Jerrells grabbed the reigns and led the Spurs offensively and defensively for the remainder of the contest. In 15 minutes, Jerrells had 11 points, three assists, a steal, and a variety of timely shots, whether from deep or near the hoop. And he continues to play surprisingly good on-the-ball defense. Jerrells finished the game +14.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/13/curtis-jerrells-san-antonio-spurs/#more-10125)

Solid D
10-13-2010, 03:01 PM

It was me....
and that's the reason I believe that Jerrells will be on the Spurs roster to start the season.

Chomag
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Might be just a case of bad luck for Temple but as of right now it looks like he has lost his spot to Jerrels because of it, and I would be very surprised if Jerrels is not kept.

lefty
10-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Temple of Jerrels

hater
10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
this kid can ball. reminds me of a speedy claxton

crc21209
10-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Same thing I was thinking...:tu

TwelveGs210
10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I like Jerrells as well..I'm not sold on the whole Temple experiment..i think the spurs are intrigued because the fact Temple is 6'6", but Jerrells was out there hustlin his ass off on defense making up for what he lacks in wingspan with good decision making, energetic defense, and made some key shots scoring 11 points in 14 minutes, with a few assists to boot.

Like someone else said..if the Spurs don't hang on to him, expect another club to pick him up.

Bruno
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Few months ago, Temple looked way better than Jerrells and now it's the opposite.

It once again show how difficult it is to evaluate these players with marginal NBA talents. They can look great when they are in a hot streak while in fact they aren't NBA material. Having a big enough sample size is crucial to have a good idea on these players.

ducks
10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
jerrels is greater then hill at point

Spurs Brazil
10-13-2010, 07:56 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
don't think Jerrells makes this team, but will say this: He's gotten a lot of 4th qtr run, and been productive. #spurs

angelbelow
10-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Jerrells plays with a tenacity and intensity thats hard to ignore. Wonder how this PG positional battle will turn out. Temple came in as a clear favorite, but hes been struggling mightily.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Few months ago, Temple looked way better than Jerrells and now it's the opposite.

It once again show how difficult it is to evaluate these players with marginal NBA talents. They can look great when they are in a hot streak while in fact they aren't NBA material. Having a big enough sample size is crucial to have a good idea on these players.

Crucial point. :toast

All of which makes me afraid about the quick signing of Neal. Hope he doesn't turn out to be bigger version of Jack Mclinton.

SenorSpur
jerrels is greater then hill at point

Agree with this too.

SenorSpur
Wow!

ChuckD
10-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Other than the fact that Jerrells played point guard for four years in college, right?

You think the short chucker meme hasn't made it down to the NCAA? Interesting...

MaNu4Tres
10-13-2010, 09:13 PM
It's only 3 pre-season games.

Good god.

So Temple has proved to be a better prospect and the better player for all but 3 pre-season games where Temple has seen limited action.

Give it time.

Temple gives the spot a lot more versatility, being able to guard 3 positions. Not to mention the way he worked over the summer ( Pop praised his play and work this off-season calling him his favorite player).

Jerrells is playing really well and all, but you have to look at the big picture and not just 3 games.

That being said it will be an interesting competition the next 4 preseason games, but I think Temple will win the spot when it's said and done.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I liked CJ's defense for more than 3 preseason games. I thought he was just as solid defensively in the summer league.

He just wasn't as consistent being able to run a team. Yesterday was either an anomaly or an eye opener. We'll see.

ohmwrecker
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I liked CJ's defense for more than 3 preseason games. I thought he was just as solid defensively in the summer league.

He just wasn't as consistent being able to run a team. Yesterday was either an anomaly or an eye opener. We'll see.

He is a damn good D-leaguer too . . . for what it's worth.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
He is a damn good D-leaguer too . . . for what it's worth.

I'm bracing myself for the plethora of threads coming in if the Spurs cut him and they guarantee Simmons's contract the same day...

I fully expect to hear a rehash of the Hairston/Bogans story... :lol

Leonard Curse
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
wow i thought CJ was as good as gone and had no intrest in seeing him perform. however his recent play is confusing the crap out of me because hes that little general that teams love. now instead of us getting rid of him what about signing and trading to a team like indiana or newyork and in return get some much needed talent! just a thought, and if pop already deemed temple "his new fav player" i trust that more than anything.

Leonard Curse
10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
of course i mean cj and 1st round pick

jjktkk
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Temple just looks lost out there. He tries to drive then turns the ball over. He needs to improve his ball handling. Loved what I saw out of Temple last year, but as of right now, Jerrells is outplaying him.

ChuckD
10-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Temple is getting like 7 minutes a game. CJ is getting almost 15. If Pop really did declare Temple his new "favorite player", then take all of this with a grain of salt. That would mean that Pop is seeing what he likes from GT in practices/workouts, and doesn't need to evaluate him in the games. He's seen him in real games down the playoff stretch last year.

Pimping players based on SL or pre-season games makes no more sense than pimping YouTube clips.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Temple is getting like 7 minutes a game. CJ is getting almost 15. If Pop really did declare Temple his new "favorite player", then take all of this with a grain of salt. That would mean that Pop is seeing what he likes from GT in practices/workouts, and doesn't need to evaluate him in the games. He's seen him in real games down the playoff stretch last year.

Pimping players based on SL or pre-season games makes no more sense than pimping YouTube clips.

Nobody is going to jump off a bridge if Temple makes the team and CJ doesn't (at least I don't think that's the case in general). And we don't get to see the practices/workouts.

What's so wrong about pointing out that, based on what we were able to see, CJ has played much better than Temple?

ChuckD
10-13-2010, 10:50 PM
Nobody is going to jump off a bridge if Temple makes the team and CJ doesn't (at least I don't think that's the case in general). And we don't get to see the practices/workouts.

What's so wrong about pointing out that, based on what we were able to see, CJ has played much better than Temple?

Nothing. It's just not necessarily relevant to the final roster composition. Anything wrong with me pointing that out?

And yes, people will bitch if CJ gets beaten out by GT. I can almost name the posters who will.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Nothing. It's just not necessarily relevant to the final roster composition. Anything wrong with me pointing that out?

Nope. I agree that if we have to see either CJ or Temple in any major playing time capacity during the season, we probably are looking at bigger problems.

And yes, people will bitch if CJ gets beaten out by GT. I can almost name the posters who will.

I say let them bitch. Once the season starts, I suspect plenty of this stuff is going to go away anyways. I can't even fathom what this place will look like if we end up with a lockout next season.

Flux451
10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
I like Jerrells. I hope he makes the team. He has the talent to command a comeback or shoot lights out created by himself-something missing passed two years.

AlleyOopNazi
10-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Its all about "What have you done for me lately". As Spurs training camp videos say, the team needs to get out playing good basketball at the beginning of the season to take advantage of their season schedule.
Jerrells has more to offer at both ends of the court, did a great job leading the squad to a comeback?
Give the nod to Jerrells simply off the confidence hes shown this preseason. A big opportunity with the injury of Temple in Vegas, Jerrells has shown his knowledge of the Spurs system and executed in a variety of ways in the past couple games.
Look for big minutes tonight from both players and we will see whos composure of the point guard position reigns supreme.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2010, 01:00 PM

But that's exactly what Pop does. See Tolliver, Anthony and Neal, Gary.

nkdlunch
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Jerrells > JJ Barea

He better make the team. We need a speeddy feisty lights out rodent out there. IMO he is the best all around athlete the Spurs have at the moment.

In fact, it would be plain stupid to cut him if he keeps this up.

phxspurfan
10-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Also what I thought

ChuckD
10-14-2010, 06:38 PM
But that's exactly what Pop does. See Tolliver, Anthony and Neal, Gary.

I'll give you Tolliver, not sure who "Anthony" is, but Neal was signed based on a solid Euro Cup season.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll give you Tolliver, not sure who "Anthony" is, but Neal was signed based on a solid Euro Cup season.

Tolliver, Anthony = Anthony Tolliver
Neal, Gary = Gary Neal

Just the two guys.

Unless I'm hugely mistaken, the sequence of events was: Neal was invited to summer league based on his Euro Cup season and he was signed to a contract after he went off in summer league.

ivanfromwestwood
10-14-2010, 07:48 PM
i had no idea CJ could dunk.

w9anGAmF9sg

spectator
10-14-2010, 08:52 PM
temple looked a lot better today (by the numbers); since he is still recovering from injuries and he played well last year, i would say that temple is back in front

chasky
10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
By the stats was a good game for Temple, but Jerrels dont play bad.

And the main thing is our defence was awfull and in this regard Temple has more responsabilitys.

Because of that Jerrels still beats Temple.

dbestpro
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
By the stats was a good game for Temple, but Jerrels dont play bad.

And the main thing is our defence was awfull and in this regard Temple has more responsabilitys.

Because of that Jerrels still beats Temple.

How can one point guard have more responsiblity than the other unless he is considered a better player and Jerrels plays 24 minutes, while Temple plays 21 minutes?

DAF86
10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
We need shooters, keep Jerrels.

chasky
10-14-2010, 09:41 PM
How can one point guard have more responsiblity than the other unless he is considered a better player and Jerrels plays 24 minutes, while Temple plays 21 minutes?

If you are a 3 point shooter and your team is shooting 10% from behind the arc probably is your responsability.

Temple thing is defence, he can defend 3 positions. Which means that he has more responsabilities in that end of the court.

Ditty
10-14-2010, 10:22 PM
temple>jerrels

it really make no sense to have 3 guys to play point guard in which hill can but has shown alot better as a shooting guard and jerrels rides all year in a suit

chasky
10-14-2010, 10:36 PM
temple>jerrels

it really make no sense to have 3 guys to play point guard in which hill can but has shown alot better as a shooting guard and jerrels rides all year in a suit

Sure?

I remember that the better games that Hill has played was playing
starting PG, for the injury of Tony.

Ditty
10-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Sure?

I remember that the better games that Hill has played was playing
starting PG, for the injury of Tony.

hill would bring the ball up but ginobili most of the time had the ball in his hands on pick in roll

hill would once in a while would get a pick and pull up for a jumper or take it too the hoop but I do hope Hill improved on that it would make him alot more dangerous

chasky
10-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Finally Temple over Jerrels after Caja Laboral game. But i like this Curtis, hope he can make the team. If we keep 14 players he has a chance.

BTW Caja Laboral was the worst team on this preseason for the Spurs.

Cessation
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Looks like Temple shaking of that injury rust, he looked really good, very aggressive.

G-Dawgg
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM
We don't need Temple to shoot the lights out or produce offense like Neal or Jerrels, he's got a different role. We need him to run half-court sets and get his team mates involved in the offense, protect the ball on offense and not turn it over and defend the 1 & 2 positions. He's shown he's very capable of this and not trying to do too much is exactly what we need him to do. We need only occasional efficient scoring from him.