PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Joe Johnson will play Sunday

Kori Ellis
05-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Meanwhile, the news only gets better. Johnson has been cleared to play at his discretion, and he worked out Friday for the first time since fracturing an orbital bone in Game 2.

"He shot the ball, worked out with weights and rode the exercise bike with very little discomfort," Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo said. "He was really excited."

D'Antoni said Johnson will be back in the lineup the moment he feels comfortable enough to play. The bet here is he'll be in uniform for Game 1.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0521bickley21.html

timvp
05-21-2005, 05:04 AM
That's huge for the Suns. They can put him on Parker and hide Nash on Bowen or Barry.

This series just got a lot harder.

Gummi
05-21-2005, 05:32 AM
He's going to be rusty for a couple of games after missing several. I'm not to concerned about Joe, but his three's can ignite this Suns team. We cannot let him average 19ppg like he's been doing so far.

tempe85
05-21-2005, 05:52 AM
That's huge for the Suns. They can put him on Parker and hide Nash on Bowen or Barry.

This series just got a lot harder.

As a Suns fan just to let you know those matchups will never happen (most likely). Here will be the matchups (for the most part):

Johnson will guard Ginobili
Nash will guard Parker
Marion will guard Duncan
Richardson will guard Bowen
Stoudemire will guard Nazr/Nasterovic

Kori Ellis
05-21-2005, 05:56 AM
I don't think they'll put Nash on Parker for very long. That wouldn't be wise for the Suns. They'll move Joe Johnson onto him with QRich guarding Ginobili. That is how they most successfully guarded them during the season.

orhe
05-21-2005, 06:25 AM
yep TP must have, should have a great series...

JustSpurs
05-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Yes, I think this will be two hoots and a hollar!
Besides, open the windows and take a whiff. Destiny is in the air.

Jimcs50
05-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Time to put TMass on him and elbow him to his forehead.

Mark in Austin
05-21-2005, 08:05 AM
If Johnson can be effective, the Spurs are going to miss Devin Brown even more this series.

2centsworth
05-21-2005, 08:28 AM
I don't think they'll put Nash on Parker for very long. That wouldn't be wise for the Suns. They'll move Joe Johnson onto him with QRich guarding Ginobili. That is how they most successfully guarded them during the season.
Did I miss something,Phoenix successfully guarded the spurs? Last I remember the spurs blew them out at home, and then the spurs scored almsot 150pts in game two. Even the spurs scrubs took it to phoenix.

GrandeDavid
05-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Its all about the Spurs defense. Play Johnson or bench him, I don't care. If the Spurs come with energy and playing their toughest brand of defense, I don't think it'll really matter who Phoenix puts on the floor. Having said that, I'm hoping Duncan's mobility is not limited in any way.

foodie2
05-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Who have the Spurs put Bowen on usually? Marion?

T Park
05-21-2005, 10:20 AM
lol omg, a one eyed man is gonna guard parker.

If Parker cant take this guy off the dribble then yeah, throw in the towel.

Lord.....

How did Parker ever score 29 and 30?

Luck???

bonesinaz
05-21-2005, 10:22 AM
He is gonna be wearing that mask, so he may have problems getting used to it. It's not like his fracture has healed yet either, he won't be 100%. Maybe the Spurs can use this to their advantage.

TwoHandJam
05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
I hope they keep Johnson on Manu because he will destroy him. Actually Manu is a mismatch for pretty much any Suns guard but he really seems to have Johnson's number. I remember Manu stealing the ball off Johnson for like three consecutive possessions down the stretch in the clinching game 6 against the Suns in '03 when he was an NBA rookie. Imagine what he'll do to him now. :hat

T Park
05-21-2005, 10:27 AM
put him in some pick and rolls and hell be wary of getting his head hit.

Hes gonna be wearing prob the same mask will perdue wore, so that will cut down on his vision a bit.

T Park
05-21-2005, 10:28 AM
thats exactly right 2hand, worse comes to worse, just do some switch offs and let manu get him one on one, and on the defensive end, have GInobili on him.

That carried into this year if you remember right.

Rick Von Braun
05-21-2005, 10:40 AM
I don't think they'll put Nash on Parker for very long. That wouldn't be wise for the Suns. They'll move Joe Johnson onto him with QRich guarding Ginobili. That is how they most successfully guarded them during the season. I agree with your comment regarding Nash, but I think the Suns may use a different defensive rotation.

QRich is playing pretty bad. The Suns' fans are pissed off about his perfromance on both ends of the court. If they put QRich on Manu for most of the minutes, I believe Manu will have a great series.

IMHO, the best matchup on D the Suns have to offer is Barbosa/JJ on TP, Joe Johnson/QRich/Jim Jaxson on Manu, and Nash/anyone on Bowen/Barry.

The best defender the Suns have is Joe J., and Manu has gone off on him in the past. I don't think the Suns have anyone to stay in front of Manu to be honest.

If TP is aggressive and recovers his confidence, he will create problems for the Suns as well. I don't think the Suns will get as physical with him as Denver or Seattle, which can create more opportunities for his penetration. I pray he doesn't take exterior shots! His long jumper and 3PT percentages have gone south badly... TP must take advantage of his speed and do what he does best. Take it to the rack and either finish with a floater or layup, or find the open post player under the basket, or kick the ball out to the open shooter. Everything else should be strictly prohibited, in particular 3 pointers.

T Park
05-21-2005, 10:44 AM
in particular 3 pointers.

I disagree with that, if they are swinging the ball around and hes open, take the damn shot Tony.

Rick Von Braun
05-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I disagree with that, if they are swinging the ball around and hes open, take the damn shot Tony. T Park,

Tony was 3 of 11 (.273) in the Denver series, and 0 of 9 (.000) in the Sonics series. So far is the playoffs he is shooting 3 of 20 (.150) from downtown.

The Spurs best 3pt shooters are (with a minimum of 9 3pt attempts):
Manu 21-42 (.500)
Bruce 8-19 (.421)
Horry 14-35 (.400)
Barry 11-30 (.367)
Glenn 3-9 (.333)
Beno 5-24 (.208)
Tony 3-20 (.150)

Why take such a low percentage shot if there is still time in the clock?

Tony should play maximizing his strengths. If I were Pop, I would tell Tony that he could shoot at most one 3-pt per game. Only if he hits it, he is allowed to take another one in the game (unless the clock is running down and there is no time).

Experiment2100
05-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Agreed that they will not put Nash on Parker, we went into overtime when someone else was guarding Parker and won by 30 when Nash was guarding him.

SPURSCHAMPS
05-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Agreed that they will not put Nash on Parker, we went into overtime when someone else was guarding Parker and won by 30 when Nash was guarding him.

Parker was ineffective and was benched when we went to overtime.

IcemanCometh
05-21-2005, 11:32 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/sunvevo/JJ.jpg

rise lord vader

ducks
05-21-2005, 11:59 AM
if q richardson struggles continue
they may try to ship him for a big and keep joe

picnroll
05-21-2005, 01:13 PM
link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0521sunsnb0521.html)

Johnson runs, shoots; Sunday return doubtful

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 21, 2005 12:00 AM

DALLAS - Suns guard Joe Johnson has been running and shooting at America West Arena since being cleared for activity Thursday, but Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said it is "very doubtful" that Johnson will run and shoot during Sunday's game.

Johnson, recovering from a displaced orbital fracture, must decide when to return.

"We're just going to go day to day with Joe," said Nelson, with whom Johnson is consulting, along with team physicians Dr. Thomas Carter and Dr. Craig Phelps. "It's basically up to Joe and his comfort level." advertisement

Leetonidas
05-21-2005, 01:15 PM

I would've thought they'd have put Marion on Manu because Manu will scorch anyone on that team besides Marion.

Jimcs50
05-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Joe Johnson is their best defender.

He will be on Manu.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2005, 01:57 PM
They'll be a lot of switching. Bowen has guarded everyone from Marion to Nash when they've played the Suns. And though the Suns don't D up much, they've switched up quite a bit too. It will be interesting to see if JJ plays and if so, how he adjusts to the mask.

SirChaz
05-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I would've thought they'd have put Marion on Manu because Manu will scorch anyone on that team besides Marion.

He might be if he played the 3 more often. Marion has played the 4 all season.

Unless both Hunter and Stoudemire are in the game Marion will be defending in the frontcourt rather than the backcourt.

The Suns will need everyone to help cut off the drives of both Manu and Parker.
Without Johnson it will be Jackson matched up with him. Otherwise you will see Johnson covering him on the perimeter.

Suns defense tries to shut down the lane and make the other team make jumpers. You will probably see a lot of switching on the picks. There will be times when Marion is guarding Ginobili I am sure.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2005, 02:00 PM
It'll be good to see him back. That was a nasty fall he took.

mookie2001
05-21-2005, 03:20 PM
i have the shakes

SirChaz
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
The word from Phoenix is that Johnson is questionable.

He has been cleared by the doctors but it is up to him now. I can't imagine JJ not giving it a go unless he is still hurting. He has said he is not going to rush anything. The management and coaches are not going to rush him to come back.

He is a FA this summer and wouldn't want to risk more injuries.

MiNuS
05-21-2005, 05:13 PM
bring him onbing him on

boutons
05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
If he's day to day, and doesn't play Sunday, he'll probably play Tue or the games @SBC.

Who defends / is defended by Jim Jackson?

spurfan 21
05-21-2005, 05:57 PM
i heard he's not going to play in game 1 maybe even game 2 because although he is clear to play he's looking to the future because he's gonna be a big free agent next year and he dosn't want to hurt agian and screw up his chances of getting the big money