PDA

View Full Version : Blair slims down, earns more playing time with Spurs

duncan228
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Blair slims down, earns more playing time with Spurs (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10286/1094718-142.stm)
By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There is less DeJuan Blair to see these days. That might mean you will see more of him this basketball season.

Blair has a homecoming Thursday night when he and his San Antonio Spurs teammates play an NBA preseason game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Blair will play on the same Petersen Events Center court where he became an All-American two seasons ago at Pitt. But he certainly will not look the same.

From the end of his rookie NBA season to the start of preseason camp, Blair cut his body fat from 14 percent to 7.2. He lost some weight (now listed at 265 pounds), and he worked on improving his game away from the basket.

"You haven't seen me lately, have you?" Blair said in a telephone interview.

There is certainly less to see, but now less means more -- as in playing time. Blair started the first two games of the preseason and very well might hold onto the starting power forward position, with Tim Duncan playing center.

"I'm looking a lot better, running the floor better and getting a little smarter, day by day," said Blair. "I think I have a bigger role this year. I'm starting now, and it's like a dream come true. At the same time, I'm just staying humble and working as hard as I can. I just want to play my role and get better for this team."

Blair spent a lot of time in San Antonio this summer, working under Mike Brungardt, the Spurs' strength and conditioning coach. Brungardt changed some workout routines of the players, and Blair changed his own body -- and his game. Antonio McDyess, who started 50 games last year at power forward, is 36 years old and in the twilight of his career. He averaged only 5.8 points and 5.9 rebounds last season, compared to Blair's 7.8 points and 6.4 rebounds.

The Spurs also have Matt Bonner at power forward, but he is 30 and averaged only 7 points and 3.3 rebounds a year ago. The door seems open to the starting job, and Blair is running through it.

"I think they just saw how hard I worked this summer," said Blair, a former Post-Gazette high school player of the year at Schenley. "They have given me an opportunity to take and run with it.

"I worked on a lot of stuff this summer. I worked on my dribbling and my outside game. I've been working hard on a lot of things, like bringing the bigs out and going right around them. I worked a lot on my quickness and things like that."

Blair played in all 82 games for the Spurs last year and made 23 starts. But most of those were early in the season and some were made because of injuries to other players.

Last year, he played mostly the center position. But besides having Duncan this season, the Spurs added 6-11 rookie Tiago Splitter from Brazil. That allows Blair to play more power forward, and his improved body -- and skills -- have been noticeable to many.

"He's shown us he knows how to play," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News. "Now it's just a matter of him continuing to work on that shot. He's doing it."

In the Spurs' second preseason game Saturday against the Miami Heat, Blair had a game-high 13 points and a team-high seven rebounds.

"I played more of the 5 [center] position last year," Blair said. "I'll play the 5. It's no big thing to me. But I'll also play the 4, too.

"I'm a lot more confident this year and I'm way more comfortable. I'm comfortable playing with Timmy, and Timmy is comfortable playing with me. I think Coach Pop is more comfortable with me. I just have to keep going. No days off. No setbacks. Once I get a little more consistent, the sky is the limit for me. I just want to keep giving my best and pray I go without any injuries."

At 21, Blair is the young blood of a team that many critics believe is too "old" to contend for the Western Conference title. Besides Duncan, McDyess and Bonner, the Spurs have Richard Jefferson, 30, and Manu Ginobili, 33. Point guard Tony Parker is 28.

"Going down in the first round of the playoffs last year really hurt us," said Blair. "This could be a special team with everyone coming back. Everybody is talking about all the other teams, but not us. That's OK, especially for someone like me because I love being the underdog."

Even if it is "less" of an underdog.

Muser
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
lol 37

Dex
10-13-2010, 01:57 PM
37th pick. :lmao This guy is a gem.

duncan228
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Little Big Man? (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/10/13/little-big-man/)
Sekou Smith

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS — DeJuan Blair started at center in college and had no problems dealing with taller opponents.

But that was college.

Blair as a starting center in the NBA is, in a word made famous by Mike Tyson, “ludicrous … or not if you are Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who hasn’t finalized his starting five just yet (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/popovich_close_to_nailing_down_starting_five_10483 6544.html?showFullArticle=y).

But anyone that assumed Tiago Splitter or Antonio McDyess would just snag the starting job alongside Tim Duncan clearly doesn’t understand how highly the Spurs regard Blair and all that he brings to the game.

Again, Popovich hasn’t committed to anything yet. He could be warming to the idea of Blair in the first five, though, per Jeff McDonald of the Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/popovich_close_to_nailing_down_starting_five_10483 6544.html?showFullArticle=y):

Popovich was hesitant to pair Blair with Duncan at times last season, preferring to play his All-Star power forward with big men who can spread the floor.

Can Duncan and Blair co-exist? Popovich need only look at his 2007 NBA title team, which often paired Fabricio Oberto with Duncan in the frontcourt.

“If Timmy can play with Fab, he can play with DB,” Popovich said. “Those guys are similar, in that neither were really shooters.”

We love the idea of Blair as the Spurs’ starting (little) big man. So what if he’s just 6-foot-7 (on his tip-toes) and has no ACLs to speak of. Blair’s a “baller” in the truest sense of the word.

You saw him grind last year and you know he’s legit.

But would you make him your starting center?

Time to vote!

Hit the link (http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/10/13/little-big-man/) to vote, results at this moment bolded.

Can the Spurs win big without a true big man in the middle?

* Yes. DeJuan Blair is the truth and will be fine alongside Tim Duncan. 72.73% (160 votes)

* No way. Blair's a great energy guy but not a starting center at the pro level. 27.27% (60 votes)

ohmwrecker
10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
"Going down in the first round of the playoffs last year really hurt us," said Blair. "This could be a special team with everyone coming back. Everybody is talking about all the other teams, but not us. That's OK, especially for someone like me because I love being the underdog."

Another example of BBIQ not = actual IQ.

boutons_deux
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Scola!

ducks
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Scola!

stfu

polandprzem
10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Blair will be a starter to begin the season as Splitter will have to earn his spot from a bench player.

Gonna be interesting. Our frontcourt (acc SF) rotation is fine.
Looking nice

Chomag
10-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I'll admit I was worried about Spurs wanting to trim Blair down as power is part of his game, and him being so undersized that his strength an weight are the only advantages he has on other bigs. However watching him lately he seems to have adapted to it very well and it doesn't seem to be effecting him at all.

Awesome job Blair, keep up the great work!

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Someone should tell Blair that they got to the second round of the playoffs last year. Then again, maybe they shouldn't.

weebo
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Anything to keep bonner on the bench as much as possible.

Ocotillo
10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself here with a lot of what ifs........

But what if Splitter comes out of the gate fast and Blair progresses like he appears to be. At what point does Pop consider Duncan coming off the bench? Could be a way to cut down on his playing time and he is of the same mindset that Manu is, he would prefer to start but whatever gets the win.......

Solid D
10-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Even though Blair is thinner this season, he is very strong. He gave Blake Griffin all he could handle in the box-out wars. There was one hook shot that Timmy missed over Kaman where Blair and Griffin were going at it for position. Blair could not be leveraged and Griffin was "bootied" out of position. Rebound and layup - Blair.

DaDakota
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
You guys getting Blair at 37 and us getting Budinger at 44 is amazing.

Two good players that should have been lottery picks.

DD

The Truth #6
10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
"The Spurs also have Matt Bonner at power forward, but he is 30 and averaged only 7 points and 3.3 rebounds a year ago. The door seems open to the starting job, and Blair is running through it."

Uhh, hello!! Doesn't this writer know that Bonner SPREADS THE FLOOR. Sure it may appear to a casual observer that Bonner doesn't do shit, but if this writer was a real follower of the team he would have been indoctrinated on Bonner's mysterious +/- mastery. Sure Blair, you may contribute with points, rebounds, assists, and other old outdated statistics like wins, but you'll never beat Bonner's +/-!!

duncan228
10-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Manu Ginobili, DeJuan Blair look like starters in San Antonio (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/manu-ginobili-dejuan-blair-look-like-starters-in-san-antonio/)
Kurt Helin

It just feels wrong.

It’s not going to change things really; the Spurs will be the Spurs. Maybe even a little better version of the Spurs. But this starting five just feels weird:

Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, DeJuan Blair.

Coach Gregg Popovich has not settled on that yet according to the San Antonio Express News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/popovich_close_to_nailing_down_starting_five_10483 6544.html?showFullArticle=y), but it’s starting to look that way.

Starter Manu Ginobili. Not really used to that. Sure, he started 22 games last season, but the Spurs were always at their best when he was coming off the bench fresh when everyone else was just a little winded

But this doesn’t change much. In crunch time, Ginobili was always in there. Starter, sixth man, he role will largely be the same, it’s just how the minutes are divided up.

But Blair in the frontcourt with Duncan is a change. Last season it was Antonio McDyess who was the big man up front doing the dirty work that let Duncan be Duncan. Now it’s Blair — who is better at the dirty work. Popovich is right to be concerned that Blair can’t spread the floor with a jumper, allowing teams to clog the lane more easily, but this is still the right move. More Blair, Less McDyess the better.

However, it also leaves you with a 6’7” center… well, we all know he’s a forward and Duncan is the center. The Spurs can define it however they wish. But it doesn’t change the problem that against the elite — the Lakers, Celtics Magic, even the Mavericks in the West — that creates matchup problems.

The Spurs need 6’11” Tiago Splitter to step up if they are going to really take a step forward. The Brazilian rookie has plenty of international experience, but right now he is sidelined with a strained right plantaris muscle. He should be back soon, but his absence combined with Blair’s nose for the ball and hard work means Splitter is coming off the bench.

Blair and Ginobili are the starters. Still sounds odd.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/manu-ginobili-dejuan-blair-look-like-starters-in-san-antonio/

TJastal
10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/13/manu-ginobili-dejuan-blair-look-like-starters-in-san-antonio/

Blair should be the starter, esp since Splitter is having a lot of nagging injuries to start the season and won't hardly even see any real game conditioning in the preseason. And McDyess IMO makes the spurs' F.O. too old at this point and really wants to come off the bench anyway. Bonner .. is well..Bonner.

At this point, Blair is really the only logical choice to be the opening day starter.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself here with a lot of what ifs........

But what if Splitter comes out of the gate fast and Blair progresses like he appears to be. At what point does Pop consider Duncan coming off the bench? Could be a way to cut down on his playing time and he is of the same mindset that Manu is, he would prefer to start but whatever gets the win.......

Blair at the three, yo.

Fabbs
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
".... I'm comfortable playing with Timmy, and Timmy is comfortable playing with me. I think Coach Pop is more comfortable with me.
Can't know the tone with the written word but taken as is, Blair knows Duncan is comfortable with playing with him yet he thinks 'Popped is.

Basketball intelligents who want the Spurs to win are comfortable with your and Dunks playing together.
Others might be. :rollin :rolleyes
:pop:

Indazone
10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
If Blair develops that outside shot and with his wide body and quickness down low. He could be the second coming of Sir Charles Barkley.

SenorSpur
10-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Even though Blair is thinner this season, he is very strong. He gave Blake Griffin all he could handle in the box-out wars. There was one hook shot that Timmy missed over Kaman where Blair and Griffin were going at it for position. Blair could not be leveraged and Griffin was "bootied" out of position. Rebound and layup - Blair.

It's all about backing that ass up on people. Blair is absolutely marvelous at carving out his position and holding his ground. Rarely will you see him give way to anyone once he's boxed out and established his position. He's an absolute beast on the glass. It's almost as though it's effortless to him.

Indazone
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
That's what I'm talking bout. Barkley and Blair are tremendous at using their big asses to push people out of the way.

barbacoataco
10-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm a little confused because in one interview Blair was saying he liked "playing the 4" more beside Duncan. Which means he sees himself as the 4, and Duncan as the 5, ---- but I thought we all were agreeing to call Duncan the PF anyway in spite of it all.

ElNono
10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm a little confused because in one interview Blair was saying he liked "playing the 4" more beside Duncan. Which means he sees himself as the 4, and Duncan as the 5, ---- but I thought we all were agreeing to call Duncan the PF anyway in spite of it all.

As far as All-Star voting is concerned, YES!

duncan228
10-13-2010, 09:15 PM
As far as All-Star voting is concerned, YES!

:lol There's that, but the reason I call him a Power Forward is because it's what he wants. After all he's brought to this team he can be called what he wants. :)

ElNono
10-13-2010, 09:19 PM
:lol there's that, but the reason i call him a power forward is because it's what he wants. After all he's brought to this team he can be called what he wants. :)

+1

barbacoataco
10-13-2010, 09:21 PM
+1

Not trying to second-guess the great one. Agree- he can be called what he wants.

JustinJDW
10-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I kept being skeptical about Blair during the Off-Season and so far during the Pre-Season because I didn't want to get too excited and believe Blair could be a legit game changing Starter in the League. Especially after hearing about him loosing weight. Afraid to be dissapointed.

But I have to say, I have been very pleased with Blair so far. He is still rebounding like a beast and can still score those quick points around the basket. I also saw that little jumper of his the other day. The only thing I am worried about is his shot selection. He really needs to improve on that and I know I'm not the only one that's saying it. He forces way too many shots that are simply not there. He needs to change his mindset a bit because we don't need him to score on every play. Don't force up shots. If its not there, its not there.

Leonard Curse
10-14-2010, 08:08 AM

this !!!

i mean he gave the number 1 pick competition and we got blair for nothing it really is unbelievable

z0sa
10-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Blair (for me) is easily the most exciting aspect of the "future" Spurs.

Thompson
10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
"Going down in the first round of the playoffs last year really hurt us," said Blair.

Knocking the Mavericks out of the playoffs in the first round doesn't really even count any more.

elec99
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I never thought of Blair as the starting 4, but if he can hit a mid range jump shot consistently, maybe we can consider that spreading the floor. Then Dice/Tiago could come off the bench? THAT would be an amazing bench, not to mention Manu would be running the show too.

Now if we can only do something with RJ....sorry had to throw that in.

Parker/whoever
Hill/Manu
RJ/Anderson
Blair/Dice
Duncan/Tiago

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Beating the Mavericks in the playoffs doesn't actually count as a playoff win...Blair knows this.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Knocking the Mavericks out of the playoffs in the first round doesn't really even count any more.

Oops...I should have read through the thread...someone beat me to it!! :toast

mingus
10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Blair has a lot potential. if not for having no acls, he'd have an accomplished career with probably several or more all-star appearences.

i would like to see him come off the bench though. Splitter will be the better defender and the Spurs should do all they can to make themselves get to a high level defensively, even if it means sacrificing some offense. i also think that the Spurs are past the point where they can bring Manu off the bench. at this point he's our best offensive player and he needs to be on the court from the start. it doesn't mean he needs to play a lot of minutes (his minutes can still be limited). which means i think Blair can assert himself into that sixth man role even more. Blair is fully capable of anchoring the bench offense.

Spurs Brazil
10-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Blair is playing fantastic. He’s the best Spurs player in preseason and showed a lot of progress in his game on both ends.
My question is, can he play at that high level for 25-27 minutes a night or do you think he’ll have to play 20-22 minutes?

GinobiliForTres
10-14-2010, 01:49 PM
15.3 ppg and 7 rebounds is far more than i expected from him just for the preseason. Anyone else see him getting at least 16 and 9 or maybe even 16 and 10 for his sophomore season? I'm very impressed with the beast so far.

Supergirl
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Trimming down will help keep his knees healthy, too. I love me some DeJuan Blair.

nkdlunch
10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
he is looking like the NBA most improved player leading candidate. that is scary