PDA

View Full Version : What do you know Eli Manning was right after all

IcemanCometh
08-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Told you people San Diego was a joke franchise (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1855828)

They pull this shit every year with their first rounders. No plan, no vision, no future. He was right to want out.

DuffMcCartney
08-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Cowboys should sign Philip Rivers.

ducks
08-09-2004, 08:31 PM
**** rivers if those numbers are true from chargers
then he is just a greedy rookie
I do not blame this on chargers I blame this on rivers. he does not want to play for them but another team but he wants chargers to look like the bad guy an ice bought it
HOOK LINE AND SINKER

T Park Num 9
08-09-2004, 10:47 PM
so the Chargers are supposed to pay an abscene contract to an unproven talent???

Of course.

That repirations are needed pronto right ice?:rolleyes

Tommy Duncan
08-09-2004, 10:51 PM
TPark, why do you have to get racial?

timvp
08-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Especially since Rivers is white.

:white

Johnny Blaze 47
08-10-2004, 01:02 AM
Something tells me TPark has gone off the deep end. I suppose the contract talks breaking down have something to do with Howard Dean.

Right, TPark?

IcemanCometh
08-10-2004, 01:17 AM
obscene money? nfl contracts are a joke the only money thats real is the signing bonus. rasho nesterovic makes more money than eli manning, hell he probably makes more than peyton manning.

The Chargers are a joke, they have never gotten their 1st round picks signed in time for training camp, you don't think that fucks up their development. Ownership feels they have to teach the new rookie a lesson every year.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2004, 02:29 AM
NFL contracts are not a joke. Basketball is a game played with 22 players at the minimum, not 12 at the max. Each player has less value in football.

Philip Rivers is being greedy, he's the 4th pick, not the first. Let the fucker sit out and see what happens.

Johnny Blaze 47
08-10-2004, 02:31 AM
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Just what if the Chargers ARE lying about making the offer they did?

MannyIsGod
08-10-2004, 02:36 AM
They can' lie about that, because once it's public that they made that offer, Phillip Rivers can demand that.

Johnny Blaze 47
08-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Not necessarily so, Manny.

They've already stated that they're going to drop the offers the longer this goes on.

My reason for saying that what if the team lied is more to defend Rivers. Football doesn't have guaranteed contracts so teams can just drop players when they want to (for the most part) and it's just business.

But when a player wants to do better, they're chastized for not playing out the contract. More times than not, I will usually have that opinion, but yet it's fully accepted that a team can do what they have to do in the business.

T Park Num 9
08-10-2004, 04:56 AM
he gets offered number 2 money but is a number 4.

Another great spoiled athlete.

NFL has the best contracts.

Get paid for performance, not for just being big and tall
ALA NBA or MLB.

MannyIsGod
08-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Get paid for performance and accomplisment, not just being born with a silver spoon....right...Tpark?

Mark in Austin
08-10-2004, 10:22 AM
:lol :lol :lol

oh, shit! very nice, Manny.

Tommy Duncan
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
You mean TPark was born with a "silver spoon in his ass", Manuel?

Johnny Blaze 47
08-10-2004, 10:48 AM
One out of one web developers agree...

TPark got...

http://www.mailbling.com/fire5.jpg

SAmikeyp
08-10-2004, 01:36 PM
while I do think Rivers is being greedy....the Chargers front office could screw up a wet dream.

Jimcs50
08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
The Chargers are trying to put a lot of money in incentives rather than pony up guarenteed money. They want to put in incentive into the contract that if Rivers wins 4 Super Bowls, he gets another 5 million dollars. :rolleyes

Why not just offer 10 million to him if he gets knighted by Queen Elizabeth and finds a cure for AIDS too? :p

Sii to Me
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM
NFL contracts are not a joke.

yes they are. Unlike in the NBA any NFL player can but cut at any time and not be paid a dime more than what they had already received as their signing bonus

The Chargers are a joke franchise and Im not sure why anyone would believe their dumbass GM. The only reason he went to the media is because he knows they are trying to short Rivers and are hoping they can make him look like the bad one in public opinion

its all about the signing bonus. Nothing else matters in a NFL contract. After that they are only paid by the game. the NBA isnt even close to that

according to reports on ESPN today much of the value of San Diegos offer is just in incentives...its not a real value contract for that amount. Its a joke of an offer for that pick

Sii to Me
08-10-2004, 09:55 PM
One of the incentives on Rivers deal was

If Rivers wins four Super Bowls in his first four years AND makes the Pro Bowl all four of those years, he gets $5 million.

What fucking QB could EVER do that? esp with a team as pathetic as the chargers?

MannyIsGod
08-10-2004, 10:52 PM
lmao, if that was really an incentive, i thinksan diego is nuts

IcemanCometh
08-10-2004, 11:25 PM
As I suspected yesterday, these incentives are most likely what the Chargers are using to say their offer exceeded the offers of Gallery and Fitzgerald. They are becoming, if they are not already there, the most laughable franchise in sports. The screwed around on Jammer long enough to essentially rob him of most of his rookie year. Does anybody want to piss on Eli Manning now for not wanting to deal with thes guys? You pay him somewhere between what the guy drafted ahead of him got and what they guy drafted behing him got. And you don't arrive at those numbers by having some pie-in-the-sky incentives that no player in NFL history has ever come close to achieving. This is like 3 years running that the Chargers have lowballed their 1st round pick, and it is 3 years in a row that the pick will end up missing most of training camp and thus be playing catchup their whole rookie year. And they wonder why they suck.