PDA

View Full Version : General question of Coach Pop and Parker- any help appreciated.

flox
10-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi guys, I was just wondering what was the relationship between Gregg Popovich and Tony Parker was during his rookie year and up until like 2006?

I'm trying to remember but I was too young at the time, but I think Pop didn't trust Parker and took the ball out of his hands a lot, and benched him a lot.

I know that he did that with Udrih and that also in 06 there was that terrible Nick Van Exel thing, but why did Udrih fail and Parker succeed? I assume Udrih got the same treatment as Parker.

Thanks!

Man In Black
10-13-2010, 11:57 PM
If Pop didn't trust TP, he would've stuck with Antonio Daniels as his PG that year but he gave TP the reins to learn on the job. While Pop didn't trust Parker in the playoffs late, he took the highs and lows with TP until it was late in the game where it counted most.

#2!
10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
If Pop didn't trust TP, he would've stuck with Antonio Daniels as his PG that year but he gave TP the reins to learn on the job. While Pop didn't trust Parker in the playoffs late, he took the highs and lows with TP until it was late in the game where it counted most.

I hope that's the attitude he takes with James Anderson. Not starting of course, but give him 15ish minutes a night consistently (not 30 here, and 2 or DNP there) and let him do what he can with them.

Regarding the OP, I know Tony got chewed out alot, even on the sideline during games for cameras and crowds to see. Tony was mentally tough enough to take it, and learn from it, so Pop really let it fly. And if he hadn't been tough about it then he probably wouldn't have stuck around as long as he has, ala Beno.

Dex
10-14-2010, 01:05 AM
In the big picture of things, Pop was very trusting with Parker very early. He gave him the keys in his rookie year (2002) and basically let him sink or swim. I think he was able to identify the toughness in Parker, and trusted him to respond. Parker did so by becoming the regular starter and having big showings against opposing stars like Gary Payton and Stephon Marbury.

2003 was probably the hardest time in their relationship. By his sophmore season, Tony had become a solid point guard and helped guide the Spurs to their second championship. However, Parker had some off games in the 2003 Finals against Jason Kidd, prompting Pop to bench him for a few occasions in key situations (giving Speedy Claxton a chance to live on in Spurs lore). Even after winning the title, the Spurs knew that had potential in Parker, but still became enamored in trying to sign Jason Kidd with the cap-space that opened up from David Robinson's departure. When you have a chance to try to sign a premiere point guard, you go for it.

Fortunately, Kidd (and his wife) did the Spurs a favor by deciding to stay in New Jersey, and instead of Parker taking things the wrong way, he used it as motivation to improve his game and try to bring it to Kidd's level. By 2005, I think Pop's trust issues with Parker were gone, as Parker had admittedly responded to pretty much every challenge presented by the coach.

This is another reason why I think some people were grossly overstating Parker coming off the bench after his injury last season. Parker and Pop probably see more eye-to-eye than it seems.

Man In Black
10-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Even after winning the title, the Spurs knew that had potential in Parker, but still became enamored in trying to sign Jason Kidd with the cap-space that opened up from David Robinson's departure.
It's funny. I advocated the signing because I felt that Kidd's passing would help the team open up with smarter team play and help Tony by setting him up for easy shots. But today, Ginobili does everything that Kidd does, albeit it at lower numbers in assists but with better percentages and solid numbers everywhere else.

TDMVPDPOY
10-14-2010, 01:43 AM
It's funny. I advocated the signing because I felt that Kidd's passing would help the team open up with smarter team play and help Tony by setting him up for easy shots. But today, Ginobili does everything that Kidd does, albeit it at lower numbers in assists but with better percentages and solid numbers everywhere else.

what year did chip came on board? i think had we sign kidd, his shooting wouldve improved....

LoneStarState'sPride
10-14-2010, 03:21 AM
what year did chip came on board? i think had we sign kidd, his shooting wouldve improved....

I believe it was 2006.

rogcl1
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM

IMO Chip = over rated. Parker's shot still has flaws, Spurs are terrible free throw shooters. Chip received credit for being Steve Kerr's coach. Guess what, Kerr could shoot and was sound fundamentally before Chip. I am not saying he doesn't help, just believe his impact is overstated.

ajballer4
10-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I remember Parker was terrible in the playoffs and we let claxton run the show a lot in 03 but after that Pop has trusted him 100 percent

lefty
10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
He already trusted him in his rookie year but he was also very tough on him for his first 3 seasons.

I still remember the earful he gave him after he gave a 4 point play to Fisher in game 6 of the 2003 WCSF :lol