PDA

View Full Version : Super Street...

bus driver
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
has anyone driven on it? Is the big difference maker that everyone was told?
i frequent the 1604 and 151 area and i think that is next for a SUPER STREET.

Highway 281 Super Street Completely Open
Super Street Project Finished, Garnering Mixed Reviews From Drivers
Charles Gonzalez, KSAT 12 News Reporter
POSTED: Monday, October 11, 2010
Email
Print
SAN ANTONIO -- With the Highway 281 super street intersections at Stone Oak and TPC Parkway completed on Sunday, the four-intersection project is complete, except for minor aesthetics which should be complete by the end of the month.
Watch Charles Gonzalez's Report
Opinions on the solution to rush hour traffic along 281 north of Loop 1604 are about as different as all the new signs on the road, which presents the biggest learning curve for most drivers.
"There are so many lines on the road and so many arrows pointing you this way and that way," said Tina Maciel, who said she does her best to avoid the road during morning and evening rush hours. "You've got to try to read and that's hard to do when you're driving."
"In fact, the other day, someone was stopped right in the middle of it because I think they were trying to decide in their own mind which way they should go," said Doug Crossland, who said his own timing has shown that the changes haven't made his commutes any faster.
The super street, seen as a temporary fix to congestion pending the results of a 2012 environmental study, is supposed to alleviate traffic with protected u-turns and left turn lanes, which some drivers appreciate during rush hour but not during more free-flowing times.
"It makes it annoying when you're driving through with no traffic but you still hit the lights," said Maciel. "It still slows you down more than it would have before."
"They were adding signal lights to it and instead of doing overpasses or something of that nature that would really alleviate the problem, it looked to me like they were adding to it," added Crossland.
The Alamo Regional Mobility Authority, which oversaw the project, plans to do a time study in the near future. Overpasses, toll roads or other long-term solutions cannot move further until that federally required environmental study.
Previous Stories:
Super Street Nears Completion
Mixed Reviews Given For First Stage Of Super Street
Environmental Concerns Prompt Lawsuit Over 281/1604 Interchange