PDA

View Full Version : Who would you cut after this game? - Cavs game edition

ElNono
10-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I know most of you couldn't watch the game, so feel free to make this one as overall for the previous games. If you had to cut a guy, who would that be?

EDIT: I wanted to make it a poll and I forgot the check the box. Just write in the guy's name.

ElNono
10-15-2010, 03:59 PM
My pick is Gist.

clambake
10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
bonner and rj.

its like they didn't even play.

Texas_Ranger
10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Gee.

:cry

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Someone actually saw the game?

elemento
10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Gee

#2!
10-15-2010, 04:50 PM
James Gist. He is basically competing with Simmons for the back up 3/small ball 4 role, and despite having better athleticism for the 4 spot, he doesn't have the tools to spend any time at the 3. I'm actually disappointed that Pop has been playing Simmons at the 4 so much in part because that indicates he doesn't believe Simmons helps at the 3 enough to justify a contract solely based on his SF play, but moreso because small ball only works partially in the regular season, and practically never in the playoffs.

A trade is probably necessary for the Spurs to shore up their perimeter defense, and to address the lack of ballhandling/passing ability at the back up PG position.

Muser
10-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Gist.

DesignatedT
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Gist.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Pretty much every fringe player. No one the Spurs brought in has worked out. Which for the Spurs needs, is worst case scenario. It really sucks.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Pretty much every fringe player. No one the Spurs brought in has worked out. Which for the Spurs needs, is worst case scenario. It really sucks.:lol

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:18 PM
:lol

What is so funny? When I meant by the Spurs needs was the back up SF spot. No one that they brought in looks good enough. I would not mind cutting all of them an no one has stood out. It sucks that none of the prospects look like NBA players.

The Spurs main guys are fine, but the glaring hole at the SF spot needs to be addressed and it does not appear that it is going to happen from within.

Gee/Gist/Simmons/Neal/Penney/Temple all could be cut and seemingly would make no impact.

The Spurs fringe players all came up craps.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
What is so funny.Your post.
When I meant by the Spurs needs was the back up SF spot. No one looks good enough that they brought in. I would not mind cutting all of them an no one has stood out.

The Spurs main guys are fine, but the glaring hole at the SF spot needs to be addressed and it does not appear that it is going to happen from within.

Gee/Gist/Simmons/Neal/Penney/Temple all could be cut and seemingly would make no impact.

The Spurs fringe players all came up craps.:lol

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Solid take.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:20 PM

I learned that the Spurs' scrubs really are scrubs.

Looks like you though the same way :lol

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Solid take.I have a question for you.

Has the season started?

Brazil
10-15-2010, 05:21 PM
cut them all

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I have a question for you.

Has the season started?

No.

I have a question for you. In watching the guys that the Spurs brought in, have any looked like legit NBA players that can play the back up SF role that the team needs?

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I am not even implying that these players are make or break. I am saying the Spurs were probably hoping for one of the prospects to standout this preseason and none have.

Based on that, it appears that if they are going to fill the void they have said exists, they will probably have to go another route to truly fill it. They might be able to use one of these guys, but that does not mean the void would be truly filled.

Also, this is a thread about who should be cut. IMO, I could care less at this point for all the fringe players.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:25 PM
No.Sweet.

I have a question for you. In watching the guys that the Spurs brought in, have any looked like legit NBA players that can play the back up SF role that the team needs?I have only watched the better part of two games.

Not a great sample considering what was going on in those games.

Since it's preseason.

And not the regular season.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Also, this is a thread about who should be cut. IMO, I could care less at this point for all the fringe players.So did you watch last night's game?

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:26 PM
So why then, would you say (in the post I quoted above), that the Spurs scrubs are in fact scrubs when that is essentially what I am saying?

How can you say that if the regular season has not started?

Is it not the least bit concerning that no one has stood out? Quit being dense.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:27 PM
So did you watch last night's game?

No. How does that change my opinion. I have watched the scrimmage and all the televised games.

I have read the articles.

Based on what I have seen, no one has stood out. That is what preseason is for. To get the fringe players minutes and evaluate them to see who to keep. To this point, no one has separated themselves and that is not a good thing.

That is from Pop himself.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:31 PM
So why then, would you say (in the post I quoted above), that the Spurs scrubs are in fact scrubs when that is essentially what I am saying?No. You pretty much wrote off the entire season because our scrubs played like scrubs. You want an NBA scrub to not be a scrub and are throwing up your hands because it hasn't happened in the maximum two games you have been able to watch this preseason.

How can you say that if the regular season has not started?Because they are scrubs. They were scrubs before they joined the team, and they are scrubs now. Anderson is an exception, but he's also coming off an injury. My expectations for scrubs and players coming off injury just don't seem to be as high as yours.

Is it not the least bit concerning that no one has stood out?Not really. Other scrubs can be had if it comes to that.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
No.Sweet.

Neither did I, so I'm not going to claim to know who looked good or bad in that particular preseason game.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:37 PM
No. You pretty much wrote off the entire season because our scrubs played like scrubs. You want an NBA scrub to not be a scrub and are throwing up your hands because it hasn't happened in the maximum two games you have been able to watch this preseason.

Massive failure. I even specifically said the "main guys" are fine. I said this is a thread about fringe players and if they all got cut it would make no difference to me.

You want to say people suck, but get mad about it in a thread where someone is asking which sucky player you want to cut :lol.

Because they are scrubs. They were scrubs before they joined the team, and they are scrubs now. Anderson is an exception, but he's also coming off an injury. My expectations for scrubs and players coming off injury just don't seem to be as high as yours.

Not really. Other scrubs can be had if it comes to that.

What expectations? You seem really good at inventing arguments, but really sucky at sticking to the thread topic, which is about whom someone wants cut from the team.

I simply said the Spurs were hoping that one of the scrubs would have impressed enough to fill a perceived void from within. At this point, it does not seem likely. Does that change anything majorly? No. Is it disappointing? To myself and a few others. Sure.

Quit acting like I was cliff jumping. That would be like me saying you are getting furious over this particular subject just to make you look foolish, when we both know that is not true.

Sure, other scrubs could be had, but that would not fill the void. The Spurs don't need a scrub. They need a rotational player.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Sweet.

Neither did I, so I'm not going to claim to know who looked good or bad in that particular preseason game.

I did? I said that after what I have seen, I would cut them all and be ok with it. If you could link to where I said I saw the game and made a judgment, I will certainly apologize.

I posted in this thread on the subject of cutting players, but I never implied or said I watched this game.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:43 PM

You posted this comment in the Cavs game day thread. Did you watch the game? So how can you claim to know who looked like a scrub and who did not in this particular preseason game you did not see?

This is curious.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Massive failure. I even specifically said the "main guys" are fine. I said this is a thread about fringe players and if they all got cut it would make no difference to me.

You want to say people suck, but get mad about it in a thread where someone is asking which sucky player you want to cut :lol. But your claim is that the backup SF spot is critical to this team's success this year, and you have written off every candidate for that spot after not watching several preseason games.

You can try to take both sides of the argument, but don't be surprised when you fail.

What expectations? You seem really good at inventing arguments, but really sucky at sticking to the thread topic, which is about whom someone wants cut from the team.I clearly said I didn't see the game, so I wouldn't make that judgment. Now you want to be forum cop since other things have been brought up and isn't going well for you. Neat.

I simply said the Spurs were hoping that one of the scrubs would have impressed enough to fill a perceived void from within. At this point, it does not seem likely. Does that change anything majorly? No. Is it disappointing? To myself and a few others. Sure.So it's not critical? I guess it will be the next time it suits you.

Quit acting like I was cliff jumping. That would be like me saying you are getting furious over this particular subject just to make you look foolish, when we both know that is not true.Ok. Not cliff jumping.

Not critical.

Not watching.

Got it.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I clearly said I didn't see the game, so I wouldn't make that judgment. Now you want to be forum cop since other things have been brought up and isn't going well for you. Neat.

Really? Then how on Earth can you post that you learned the Spurs scrubs are scrubs in the Cavs game day thread?

Is this really that important to you? Is is it so important you have to try and play both sides of the argument?

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
I did? I said that after what I have seen, I would cut them all and be ok with it. If you could link to where I said I saw the game and made a judgment, I will certainly apologize.

I posted in this thread on the subject of cutting players, but I never implied or said I watched this game.So based on all that you haven't watched, you'd cut them all.

Personally, I concluded there was a lot of play I hadn't seen. I don't see why that can't bee seen as a valid take.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
The back up SF spot is critical (or at least getting a wing that is an above average perimeter defender).

Is not having one of the scrubs brought in pan out critical? No. There are other ways to address the issue.

The fact you can't understand this and the fact you want to make judgments on the scrubs in a game you did not watch is all on you.

From the Cavs v. Spurs Game Thread:

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
So based on all that you haven't watched, you'd cut them all.

Personally, I concluded there was a lot of play I hadn't seen. I don't see why that can't bee seen as a valid take.

What do you mean what I haven't watched. I am basing mine of the scrimmage, and 2 preseason games I personally watched.

Why is the fact I missed this one game such a big deal to you?

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Really? Then how on Earth can you post that you learned the Spurs scrubs are scrubs in the Cavs game day thread?It was more a reinforcement of a previous impression. I didn't expect anyone to really stand out statistically in that situation.

I was right.

Woo-hoo.

Is this really that important to you? Is is it so important you have to try and play both sides of the argument?:lol That was my question to you.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
What do you mean what I haven't watched. I am basing mine of the scrimmage, and 2 preseason games.

Why is the fact I missed this one game such a big deal to you?Your inability to keep track of the number of preseason games played is noted.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
It was more a reinforcement of a previous impression. I didn't expect anyone to really stand out statistically in that situation.

I was right.

Woo-hoo.

:lol That was my question to you.

I know. I was pointing out your hypocrisy.

Mine is a reinforcement of previous impressions along with a scrimmage and 2 preseason games I have watched. How does this make my comments less valid than yours?

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Your inability to keep track of the number of preseason games played is noted.

I have watched the scrimmage and the HOU and the CLIPS game. You are harping on missing this one game in particular.

Your attempts to argue, while at the same time doing the same things you argue against is noted.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
I know. I was pointing out your hypocrisy.

Mine is a reinforcement of previous impressions along with a scrimmage and 2 preseason games I have watched. How does this make my comments less valid than yours?I freely admit I haven't watched enough to make a judgment.

You said you could get rid of them all sight unseen this past game.

Is it safe to say if some numbers in the boxscore were different, so would your opinion? I would likely say they are all still scrubs, unless it was Anderson for the reason I already mentioned. That's preseason basketball.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:01 PM
You didn't freely admit it, because you said you found out the scrubs were scrubs. If you didn't watch enough to make a judgment, well, then you wouldn't have made the following judgment:

I said this past game? Link? I said based on everything I have seen & read, no one has stood out at the position of need and that cutting them all would have no impact on this team.

This box score has virtually no bearing on anything. If someone would have scored 40 points, it would have stood out, but would not have meant anything to me overall (although it would have certainly caught my attention) because the thing I am looking for (perimeter defense) is not available in the box score.

Again, the team says they need a defensive SF. They brought in some scrubs hoping one would stand out enough to help. None have. Based on the games I have seen, cutting them all would have no effect and I would not be mad because it seems they will need to look else where to fill the need.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
You didn't freely admit it, because you said you found out the scrubs were scrubs. If you didn't watch enough to make a judgment, well, then you wouldn't have made the following judgment:I could also say I "learned" they were currently under contract for the Spurs. If you like that kind of thing, I could list more.

I said this past game? Link? I said based on everything I have seen & read, no one has stood out at the position of need and that cutting them all would have no impact on this team.Also everything you haven't seen. It's cool to have an opinion.

This box score has virtually no bearing on anything. If someone would have scored 40 points, it would have stood out, but would not have meant anything to me because the thing I am looking for (perimeter defense) is not available in the box score.So how can you tell anything about perimeter defense in the two games you didn't watch?

Again, the team says they need a defensive SF. They brought in some scrubs hoping one would stand out enough to help. None have. Based on the games I have seen, cutting them all would have no effect and I would not be mad because it seems they will need to look else where to fill the need.You would cut Anderson right now?

I wouldn't.

I think he has been penciled in as the backup SF pretty much since he was drafted.

Muser
10-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Anderson is gonna be great for this team. Just give the kid some time.

DesignatedT
10-15-2010, 06:13 PM
lol calm down guys. We have a long season ahead of us

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
No. I would not cut Anderson. If you notice in the post where I listed the guys I would cut, Anderson was not included.

Anderson is different compared to the others. He is a draft pick, a high draft pick for the Spurs and the NBA is new to him.

The others have all had time to develop. They all suck pretty much.

I agree that based on the fact Anderson has been played at the SF all preseason, he is penciled in there. That does not mean I think he will fill the perceived void (above average SF defensive player).

I think he has other tools, or at least the ability to stick. I have not seen enough of him to say one way or the other, but he is the only one I feel deserves a chance. The rest have been out of college and working on their games.

So when I say (and list out) whom I would cut, I don't feel there is anything wrong with it.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Well if Anderson is already the backup SF, why is midpreseason scrub development so crucial to you?

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I would ask you the same question because you said the same thing I did:

"They all suck."

Do you not read what I wrote? Just because he is already penciled in, does not mean I think he fills the void.

I personally still think a trade is necessary, even with Anderson on the team. I think it is important because it is an obvious need. Everyone thinks it is important.

You do realize I am in a thread about this topic you are asking about, along with you? It is a thread. I commented.

Quit acting like no one is watching or commenting on this issue :lol. You silly bastard.

Also, to answer your question, if you read what I posted, I mentioned games I have seen and what I have read. So based on what I have read, for the games that were not televised, I was able to somewhat get an understanding that no one was standing out.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I would ask you the same question because you said the same thing I did:

"They all suck."Only you would be fine with closing the book on each and every player right now.

Do you not read what I wrote? Just because he is already penciled in, does not mean I think he fills the void.You really thought one of these scrubs had a chance of beating out Anderson for the backup SF spot?

As I said, differing expectations.

I personally still think a trade is necessary, even with Anderson on the team.Great.

You do realize I am in a thread about this topic you are asking about, along with you? It is a thread. I commented.Yes, I realize this. Did you somehow think I didn't realize you are in a thread? What makes you think something like that.

Quit acting like no one is watching or commenting on this issue.It is the actual comments that provide midpreseason entertainment.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:26 PM

I still don't know how you can learn this from a game you did not watch? Is it safe to assume a change in the box score would have changed what you learned?

I can see this topic is very important to you. I can see you are becoming enraged. I can see you really care a lot about the fringe players because you are screaming you have learned they sucked in a game you did not even see.

So I will exit the thread about whom one would like to cut, where I made a comment on the subject, because this is so important to you.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:28 PM
You really thought one of these scrubs had a chance of beating out Anderson for the backup SF spot?

Link? I said no one has stood out. I said it is disappointing. No where did I say I expected these guys to pan out. In fact, I have been pretty vocal on the exact opposite.

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
For real. I'm gone now.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I still don't know how you can learn this from a game you did not watch? Is it safe to assume a change in the box score would have changed what you learned? You still don't understand the nature of the statement.

That's ok.

I can see this topic is very important to you. I can you are becoming enraged. I can see you really care a lot about the fringe players because you are screaming you have learned they sucked in a game you did not even see.As I said. I learned nothing. Scrubs are scrubs. I'm willing to actually see more of them if that is possible the next couple of games.

So I will exit the thread about whom one would like to cut, where I made a comment on the subject, because this is so important to you.You are free to do whatever you want -- including running away, if that is what you are indeed doing at this point. It's really not that big a deal. After all, it's preseason.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
For real. I'm gone now.You sure?

Must have been pretty important for you to go back on your word like that.:downspin:

DPG21920
10-15-2010, 06:31 PM
lol, damn.

The Truth #6
10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
The regular season must be getting close.

slick'81
10-15-2010, 06:38 PM
damn i havent seen any preseason must have missed alot lol

FuzzyLumpkins
10-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I have a question for you.

Has the season started?

Question: which team is best?

sOV36T58_fg

chasky
10-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Gee

Giuseppe
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Cutting Neal would grant ya's immediate relief. No more rapist like us saddled with Kobe.

You guys would be like in hog heaven, eh?:rollin

Cessation
10-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Neal got a 3 year deal, he's not getting cut. Simmons looks alright, between him and the promising James Anderson, I'm sure they'll do an adequate job covering the 16 minutes of backup sf, vs other teams second unit sf, lol. If not, we still got manu and hill, since we loaded at sg, these days. Lets not overreact about this "glaring hole". :downspin:

#2!
10-15-2010, 11:08 PM
great thread

DPG won

#2!
10-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Neal got a 3 year deal, he's not getting cut. Simmons looks alright, between him and the promising James Anderson, I'm sure they'll do an adequate job covering the 16 minutes of backup sf, vs other teams second unit sf, lol. If not, we still got manu and hill, since we loaded at sg, these days. Lets not overreact about this "glaring hole". :downspin:

People aren't worried about how they'll fair against 2nd unit. The concern is that we don't appear to have anyone to put up against starters if our own starters' defense isn't enough, or if their shots aren't falling. And since the Spurs are a western conference team then every comparison should be made against the lakers, and while we have plenty of great backups, we should strive to have a backup as good or better than the lakers at every position. We don't at 2nd string SF, Matt Barnes may not be a star, but as far as anyone can tell he kicks the shit out of Gee, Temple, and in all likelihood Bobby Simmons.

Edit: as usual, left out a small but important word in my rush.

Cessation
10-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I wasn't talking about a defensive stopper on the wing, like bowen. I'm talking about a backup sf. Pop mentioned it should be someone real good defencivelly or if not he has to make up for it with great shooting. Barnes is a borderline journeyman scrub, defensive specialist and spot up shooter. OMG how are we going to stop Mat Barnes??? Bet that keeps Pop up at night !! lol:rollin:rollin
Seriously though, Anderson, Simmons, Manu, Hill, have a descent chance of "containing" the force that is Mat Barnes :toast

spectator
10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
is it still funny to yell get a room/thread?

#2!
10-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not saying we can't stop Matt Barnes from scoring. I meant he can guard our wing players, but our back up SF can't guard their starters.

Emoticons make a post look confident, good usage.

Cessation
10-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Quite so, thats why they are called backup sf, they'll spend most of their time guarding other teams backup sf, while our starting sf will be spending most of the time guarding the other teams starting sf. Am I making any sense?

We actually match up well enough vs the lakers, artest vs jefferson. Artest isn't really an offencive threat anymore, he mainly defends for them. Jefferson is athletic and strong enough to cover artest. I'd say its a tie. Same with the back up sf, no great advantage, for either team.

UnWantedTheory
10-16-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm not saying we can't stop Matt Barnes from scoring. I meant he can guard our wing players, but our back up SF can't guard their starters.

Emoticons make a post look confident, good usage.

He is not getting the point anytime soon, so I would just leave it be.

UnWantedTheory
10-16-2010, 12:44 AM

I posted in this thread on the subject of cutting players, but I never implied or said I watched this game.

He is obviously twisting your words around to fuck with you...But if not, than he most certainly has a problem you cant solve by arguing over something he isnt capable of understanding.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-16-2010, 12:48 AM
You sure?

Must have been pretty important for you to go back on your word like that.:downspin:

Chumpdumper for all the laurels you rest on and all the props you get about being a girder expert, you can seriously be the most unnecessary poster on this board ever and that goes for spurs, nba, and political forums.

Anyone can do what you do and pick out little shit to divert conversation but DPG's main point was pretty clear and valid you just have to shift the whole conversation for no reason AT ALL.

When it comes down to it you are really nothing more than an uncrude troll.

Cessation
10-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Why don't you enlighten me in your wisdom, unwantedtheory, as to this "point" i'm missing?

ChumpDumper
10-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Chumpdumper for all the laurels you rest on and all the props you get about being a girder expert, you can seriously be the most unnecessary poster on this board ever and that goes for spurs, nba, and political forums.

Anyone can do what you do and pick out little shit to divert conversation but DPG's main point was pretty clear and valid you just have to shift the whole conversation for no reason AT ALL.

When it comes down to it you are really nothing more than an uncrude troll.U mad?

I resent that. I can be quite crude.

Cessation
10-16-2010, 02:33 AM
lol he mad

DrSteffo
10-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Gist. This thread was trolled to death by attention seeking trolls already I know.

ceperez
10-16-2010, 05:35 AM
What is so funny? When I meant by the Spurs needs was the back up SF spot. No one that they brought in looks good enough. I would not mind cutting all of them an no one has stood out. It sucks that none of the prospects look like NBA players.

The Spurs fringe players all came up craps.

Agree. Worthless bums... throw them out!