PDA

View Full Version : Another Manu flop article(Ray crying about it)

TMTTRIO
05-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Spurs' Ginobili no flop when `acting'
SuperSonics' Allen: He's fooling the refs . . . still gets the call

By Bob Sherwin
New York Times

May 21, 2005

SEATTLE -- How Manu Ginobili suffers. With all he has to endure--elbows that snap back his head and hard body checks that grind him into the court--it is a wonder the San Antonio Spurs guard can take all the punishment.

It is no wonder to SuperSonics guard Ray Allen, though. From one actor to another, Allen can only admire Ginobili's theatrical style of play.

"He's fooling the refs, so I got to say it's a 10 out of 10," said Allen, rating Ginobili's acting ability when he encounters contact. "But you know when I think about it, I'd have to say it's about a 7. His head's always flopping back. That doesn't convince me. But he still gets the call."

It is all in that hair, long black strands that spread across his face when he is bumped. He looks like a wounded sheepdog.

"What he does, when someone bodies him or puts an arm on his head, his head always flops," Allen said. "So then his hair goes wild, and it looks like someone just murdered him. Those fouls aren't that hard."

This is not to say that Allen is belittling Ginobili's ability. He would not do that, not after Ginobili's effort in their second-round Western Conference playoff series helped the Spurs defeat the Sonics, four games to two.

Ginobili averaged 20.5 points in the series, including a 39-point effort in the Spurs' 103-90 victory in Game 5. Then Thursday, in the final seconds of Game 6, Ginobili broke down the Sonics' defense with a drive into the lane. He fed the ball to center Tim Duncan, who put it in off the glass with a half-second left for the clinching 98-96 victory.

Allen acknowledges Ginobili's contributions and grudgingly appreciates how he has fallen in line with some of the game's most accomplished floppers.

Ginobili, who has gone to the free-throw line 109 times in the playoffs, second only to Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire (125), is aware of the flopping accusations.

"I know they say that," he said. "But I am 200 pounds. When I go full speed against a 300-pound guy, like Danny Fortson or Jerome James, they are pretty big dudes. So there is not much room to flop in there, especially when you are up in the air.

"I don't penetrate thinking about how I am going to exaggerate. I am trying to finish."

Then in a slight bow to his detractors, he admitted, "Anyways, I don't think that exaggerating, if I am fouled, is bad."

The 6-foot-6 Ginobili played in the Italian League for three years before joining the Spurs for the 2002-3 season. The Europeans like the fainting game, as grandmaster flopper Vlade Divac has demonstrated since his NBA arrival in 1989. Or it could be that Ginobili learned the ways of referee swaying by watching the soccer floppers in his native Argentina.

"I'm not saying I never flopped when I played," said the former player Craig Ehlo, now a Sonics broadcaster, "but there are places and times you can do it. It seems like he's doing it all the time."

But when it really mattered Thursday there was no flopping. Ginobili knew that, with the score tied at 96-96 and 14.4 seconds left, he was not going to get any help from the referees. During a timeout, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich placed his trust in Ginobili to make the winning decision.

Ginobili, guarded by Antonio Daniels, held the ball near midcourt as he watched the clock wind down. With just under six seconds remaining, Ginobili drove on Daniels and into the lane.

"We wanted Manu to just create off it," Popovich said. The Spurs stationed Robert Horry at the top of the key and Duncan on the baseline and let Ginobili go.

"Manu did just a great job in decision-making," Popovich said. "We left it up to him. He made a super decision."

ALVAREZ6
05-21-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm not even gonna read it. I'm sick of the cry babies and the fuck heads that can't get over it.

Those of you still crying over Manu including Ray allen, I give you a big FUCK YOU!!!

mookie2001
05-21-2005, 03:28 PM
He fed the ball to center Tim Duncan, who put it in off the glass with a half-second left for the clinching 98-96 victory.

he flopped on the game winning pass.

PM5K
05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
No use crying over spilled milk, don't you have some fishing to do?

I guess he's upset because he would have made a lot more money if he had gotten past Manu the flopper and the Spurs...

stéphane
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
lol @ manu reaction.
he admits that when he's FOULED, he exagerates. There we can see he played in the italian league.
ProSport in Italia has 3 time more good actors than the Cannes Festival.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Ray was worse than Manu -- he was trying to flop on the perimeter to draw touch fouls.

maxpower
05-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Wow. Not a single word about their own flopper...that is floppers.
Antonio Daniels threw his body on every drive with no contact on some of those flops. At least you can say Ginobili is not as blatant(imo the elbow to the nose was legitimate in that there was contact...I replayed it and you can see his nose and the elbow meet..it does not take much getting hit on the nose for it to hurt, anyone who has had will agree through tear-soaked eyes).
And let us not forget Fortson. In one attempt to draw a charge from Duncan he looked like he was shot out of a cannon. He flew out of the picture toward center court with but a single forearm near him.

Oh wait. ...what about Cry Allen's attempt to play for the foul. How many times did he attempt to jump into bowen? He would go as far as to jump opposite his momentum in hopes of getting the call. I remember smiling quite a bit when his sad attempts forced him to miss his patented jumper.

TMTTRIO
05-21-2005, 03:36 PM
All these teams are mad that Manu is killing them on the court and they have no way to stop him. I do think it's funny that they always bring the hair into it :lol.

ALVAREZ6
05-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I am very happy that Ray is complaining about Manu, all Ray will ever do in life is complain, cry, make excuses, and never get a ring.

The more he complains, the more it shows that he is pissed about Manu, I'm glad Manu is pissing them off so much. Ray probably is frustrated over Bruce guarding him already, so this only makes it worse for him.

Fuck you Ray.

ALVAREZ6
05-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I say Manu shaves his hair, owns the Sonics again next season, and in the post game interviews, Manu will call out Ray Allen and say,"What's your bitch ass excuse now?"

mookie2001
05-21-2005, 03:40 PM
thats why he should hang up his timewarner digital phone and go get a crew cut
pop should make him
the refs would take notice and then overcompensate for his lack of hair and call more fouls for him

ALVAREZ6
05-21-2005, 03:42 PM
"But I am 200 pounds. When I go full speed against a 300-pound guy, like Danny Fortson or Jerome James, they are pretty big dudes. So there is not much room to flop in there, especially when you are up in the air."
Manu, you are being awefully nice to Fortson, are you sure he only weighs 300?

ChumpDumper
05-21-2005, 03:45 PM
He should play the next Sonic game with a goofy swim cap or hairnet and take up a collection to pay the fine.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2005, 04:19 PM
What a pansy. Dude is making Vince Carter look like he has a pair.

gregpschneid
05-21-2005, 04:58 PM
It would be really difficult to find an NBA player who has never flopped. It is a part of the game, it's true that europeans do it more often than american players though. Ray allen is a baby!!

MiNuS
05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
My wife calls Ginobli in spanish " faramayoso ". Which he is but then again alot of these player wish they could also do the same.

I always wanted Vlade Divac with the SPurs!

picnroll
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Best line on the Sonics was Adleman's "Evans falls down when the turn the air condiotioning on".

boutons
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Fortson is a flopper, but the funniest flop I've ever seen was Shaq, all 350 pounds, last year or bfore, right on his butt by another big who had only taken one step before hitting Shaq. The TV announcers were laughing. :lol

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2005, 05:08 PM
"What he does, when someone bodies him or puts an arm on his head, his head always flops," Allen said. "So then his hair goes wild, and it looks like someone just murdered him. Those fouls aren't that hard."

Now wait a second -- isn't this the same crap that Allen cries about when he talks about Bowen? It seems to me that Ray gets bent when Bowen isn't called for "bodying him" or "putting an arm on his head," but he thinks it was perfectly kosher for the Sonics defenders to do that to Manu without consequence? Ray isn't just a crybaby; he's disingenuous.

MiNuS
05-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Yao Ming is probably the DUMBEST wannabe flopper in the whole world!

YES ............ NO

smeagol
05-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Allen, you are a hell of player, but for God's sake, please . . . STFU!

Obstructed_View
05-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I've never seen Manu flop when he isn't hit, which is more than I can say for at least six other guys playing against the Spurs this post season who have drawn phantom fouls.

td4mvp21
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Wow we already beat them and they are STILL talking. This is the most pathetic basketball team ever. Ginobili flops, but if it bugs Ray Allen so much, why didn't he pull out his defense from the far left dusty corner of the shelf and stop Ginobili? If you can't stop him than shut your mouth. Simple as that.

spurster
05-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Yes Manu flops, but Manu took more hits in any of the playoff games than Crybaby Ray in the whole series.

blueantartica
05-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Manu should have a short haircut. I know he is losing his hair rapidly especially on the back on his head .I sympathize with him but whenever is fouled his long hair do spread across his face. Referees read newspapers and watch TV.

dcole50
05-22-2005, 12:35 AM
let ray talk. he should be busy trying to rob whatever team is willing to overpay him.

Spurminator
05-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Who the fuck is Ray Allen?

Onward and upward.