PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Kevin Palmer?

Spurs Brazil
10-16-2010, 12:11 PM
The Washington Wizards released Kevin Palmer on Thursday morning but the rookie may be close to landing on another NBA roster. The Portland Trail Blazers and San Antonio Spurs have expressed interest in signing the forward, according to sources. Portland and San Antonio fell in love with Palmer's game during the Portsmouth Invitational and liked what they saw from him during the Las Vegas Summer League.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17627#ixzz12XiBwzC6

8FOR!3
10-16-2010, 12:16 PM
My step mom went to Texas A&M @ Corpus haha. I don't know much about the guy, other than where he went to school, he's a 6'6 205 SF who's athletic and has a quick release. Decent shooter I think. But that's all I got on him.

Spurs Brazil
10-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Washington Wizards Release Kevin Palmer

The Washington Wizards released rookie small forward Kevin Palmer on Thursday, reducing their training camp roster to 17 players including fellow training camp invitees Cartier Martin, Adam Morrison, Lester Hudson and Sean Marks. Though the Wizards have not yet posted a press release on their website announcing Palmer's release, they did remove him from the game notes for tonight's game against the Milwaukee Bucks.

Palmer, a 6-foot-6 swingman out of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, appeared in just one preseason game for the Wizards this fall, grabbing a single rebound in four minutes of action. Nothing impressive there, but Palmer's performance in the Wizards last Vegas Summer League game - where he made 8-of-14 field goal attempts on his way to 21 points and eight rebounds - is probably what earned him his training camp invitation.

I really have no background on Palmer, so luckily Draft Express's Kyle Nelson has a scouting report on him that was written following this year's Portsmouth Invitational.

Though he has a very skinny and undeveloped upper body, he has good size for the wing at 6'6. His style of play is heavily reliant on his athleticism, from running the floor well in transition to making an impact with his physical tools on the defensive end. While his defensive fundamentals are not great, he has some intriguing things to work with and should only get better with continued coaching and increased strength.

[...]

Palmer is very much an incomplete player at this point and, like Edwin Ubiles, has the potential to transform into a much better player down the road. He will have ample opportunities to develop as a role player the D-League or Europe as he showed some intriguing potential in college and at Portsmouth.

Seeing as Nelson suggests the D-League as a suitable option for Palmer, it will be interesting to see if he decides that developing in Dakota - the Wizards D-League affiliate - makes sense for him career-wise.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/10/14/1751586/washington-wizards-release-kevin-palmer

benefactor
10-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Let's just make the whole team 6'6 wings.

ohmwrecker
10-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Worked for the Knicks! . . . Oh, wait . . .

Yannis Koutroupis
10-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey guys,

Seen plenty of Palmer at A&M-Corpus Christi over the years since I'm on the 10-year graduation plan there. Talented player that is solid scoring the basketball. Pretty good shooting the three when spotting up, but he was forced to handle the ball a lot at A&M-CC so there wasn't a lot of opportunities for him to do that. Turnovers were an issue for him, but he took it to Terrico White, Avery Bradley and Aubrey Coleman as a senior. Also got to watch him at the Las Vegas Summer League. He had a big last game when John Wall didn't play. Struggled staying in front of people defensively, which is why I think the Spurs are looking at him mainly for the Toros. He won't last under Pop until he can hold his own man down.

He does do a good job of playing the passing lanes and creating steals, though. He was top 30 in the nation in steals both years at TAMUCC if I'm not mistaken. Came from a junior college and is far from peaking as a basketball player, still a lot of room to improve - especially defensively as Draft Express pointed out. Thing I liked about him the most at TAMUCC was that when the game was on the line he really thrived. Wasn't phased by the moment and typically made the right play.

Overall, a very nice prospect to put on the Toros - but don't expect to see him on the Spurs regular season roster.

ChuckD
10-16-2010, 02:40 PM

I read a cool quote yesterday by Clips coach VDN. He said they were looking for a big man, but not just a 6'10" guy to make the team look good when he got off the bus. He had to be able to play.

Washington didn't release a guy taller than 6'8". Sorry.

The Truth #6
10-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't get too excited dumpster diving for our small forward.

MaNu4Tres
10-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Ah yes, another Toros prospect.

objective
10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Worked for the Knicks! . . . Oh, wait . . .

???

are talking about a past season? Because their projected starting lineup this year a Chandler and Galinari at the 2 and 3, that's like 6'8" and 6'10"

Biggems
10-16-2010, 07:43 PM
TAMU-CC Alum 2001...........It would kick ass if the Spurs signed Palmer, but I doubt it happens. He is a scorer and plays with attitude. However, he is very streaky.