PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article about Hill

nbaman99
10-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Let me introduce you to a very special professional athlete, someone who still is a kid at heart, who knows how fortunate he is, and who believes giving back should come natural.

Wow.

And he's an NBA player, teetering on superstardom in yet another sport polluted by ego and disloyalty, of which he has distanced himself.

Wow, again.

San Antonio Spurs' guard George Hill, a native Hoosier, played at Indianapolis Broad Ripple High School, then helped put IUPUI on the college basketball map.

There, he hoped to play alongside Merrillville recruit Lavell Cook, who died shortly after in a car crash.

Hill did briefly share the court with former Bishop Noll star Gary Patterson, and they remain good friends to this day.

During a Friday visit by region native Gregg Popovich, who happens to be Hill's admiring coach, I learned this kid is way more than just an athlete.

"George Hill is one of the best," Popovich said of giving back. "This summer, he flew a big group from his camp in Indianapolis (to San Antonio) at his own expense, put them on buses, took them down to south Texas, put them up at a hotel, gave talks, gave clinics, trying to expose them to different things.

"The Spurs didn't even know he did it. He's just one of the most selfless kids."

Hill reaches out to the less fortunate without sending news releases or renting billboard space. He was actually caught off guard when I approached him Friday at the Popovich appearance.

His "George Hill Rising Stars Foundation" enables youngsters to learn life skills and self-discipline -- qualities that will make them better persons.

Hoops is not the end-all solution in his classroom.

"Taking them around the U.S., showing them different things like visiting the White House, bringing them down to Texas and having a family-and-fun night inspired me because no one gave back to us when I was a kid," Hill said.

"I always told myself when I do make it, I want to make a difference in my community."

This past summer, Hill toured with 37 kids. They were allowed to bring along both parents and siblings, raising the number to almost 70 people.

There was no plane, however.

"I wanted them to experience different places on the road, so I rented like six 24-passenger vans and drove them all down," Hill recalled. "I paid for the hotel when they got to San Antonio and they stayed from Monday through Monday."

Along the way was a stop in Memphis to visit Elvis Presley's Graceland and the National Civil Rights Museum to learn more about Dr. Martin Luther King.

Soaking up culture was how Hill described the trip.

In San Antonio, his kids drove go-karts, played laser tag and went to Six Flags.

"You name it, we did it," Hill said.

The final night, they all stayed at his San Antonio home. It was like grade-school recess.

"We had big pillow fights, watched movies, just had fun," he said. "I look at all the kids as my brothers.

"It's a big brother, little brother type of thing."

I'll say it again. Wow.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/al-hamnik/article_ebca867c-7d14-5891-b852-79084c902575.html

silverblk mystix
10-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Nice story.

Avitus1
10-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Great guy.

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Great guy.

Except for that whole "sexting" thing. :lol. He went all Brett Farve.

Russ
10-17-2010, 04:09 PM
All puffery aside, Hill is critical.

He's a huge question mark.

To paraphrase the Wizard of Oz, "Are you a good Hill or a bad Hill?"

The answer will have a lot to do with how far the Spurs go this year.

mingus
10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
great guy.

Hills money in the NBA will be made on the defensive side. Hopefully he can prove to be the elite defender in the NBA that Pop hoped he would be.

DesignatedT
10-17-2010, 04:29 PM
thats awesome.

duncan228
10-17-2010, 04:31 PM
George Hill back at practice today, after missing Saturday's game attending a funeral in Indianapolis.

Spurs Brazil
10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
:tu Hill

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
All puffery aside, Hill is critical.

He's a huge question mark.

To paraphrase the Wizard of Oz, "Are you a good Hill or a bad Hill?"

The answer will have a lot to do with how far the Spurs go this year.

??? When was he ever a "bad Hill"? Even as a rook, he was pretty damned good and quite poised.

Russ
10-17-2010, 06:54 PM
??? When was he ever a "bad Hill"? Even as a rook, he was pretty damned good and quite poised.

Hill has been wildly inconsistent. That is a problem if your team (the Spurs) has championship aspirations.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Wildly inconsistent? I don't think so. Everyone has a bad game or three along the way, especially young players. He's so not wildly inconsistent, that Pop hasn't felt the need to being in a bad shooting veteran like Vaughn or NVE the last two years.

Em-City
10-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Hill has been wildly inconsistent. That is a problem if your team (the Spurs) has championship aspirations.

People think this way due to the bad taste left in peoples' mouths after the PHO series

DespЏrado
10-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Hill is more consistent than Parker was his first 3 years.
Anyone remember Speedy Claxton finishing out 4th quarters?

The Truth #6
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Russ is correct in this instance. Hill has had some big games but he fails to consistently take over games when he could. He's passive/indecisive way too often. Is this part of a learning curve of a young NBA player, or is he too soft spoken and laid back to be dominant every game? Yes, this season for Hill (and for the team) is huge. The same is true for Blair but I have much more confidence that Blair will take the next step.

duncan228
10-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Jus left the gym at my house getting shots up. Working on the form baby working on the form!!!!!LOL

http://c0013519.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_30f333d