PDA

View Full Version : Jerrells traded to Hornets

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17637

Spurs Ship Curtis Jerrells to New Orleans

By: Alex Kennedy Last Updated: 10/17/10 5:07 PM ET | 480 times read
The San Antonio Spurs have traded reserve point guard Curtis Jerrells to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for a second-round pick, sources tell HOOPSWORLD.

Last season, Jerrells was called up from San Antonio's NBA Development League affiliate, the Austin Toros, but he didn't appear in any games for the Spurs. He has turned heads in San Antonio this season after playing well during training camp and preseason action. In five games, he has averaged 6.4 points and 2.2 assists in just over fifteen minutes per game.

The point guard will reunite with Dell Demps, who was general manager of the Toros for three seasons including Jerrells' stint with the team, in New Orleans. Jerrells will likely be the second-string point guard behind Chris Paul with Mustafa Shakur moving into a combo guard role.

Jerrells is on a flight to Memphis now and will join the Hornets tomorrow night when they take on the Grizzlies.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17637#ixzz12esa8rM8

10-17-2010, 05:37 PM
interesting, didn't even know he could be traded. i thought he would just be cut.

Stump
10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Huh. Is the second round pick protected?

Ditty
10-17-2010, 05:38 PM
:lol

it better not be for a stupid 2018 2nd round pick now

Stump
10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
:lol

it better not be for a stupid 2018 2nd round pick now
If it's unprotected, that's still a good trade.

ducks
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
strange move

Leonard Curse
10-17-2010, 05:58 PM
wow i called this trade but i said to indiana and honestly didnt know he could be traded just thought it was a good idea damn thats crazy hopefully somethings going to come back our way

EricB
10-17-2010, 05:59 PM
The fourth string point guard was traded. Preare for outrage it wasn't for more.

Ditty
10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
they should of done a jerrells and ariza swap tbh

Bruno
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Good move :tu

Spurs couldn't keep both Temple and Jerrells because it would have created a logjam at the guard spots. IMO, Temple was the most interesting to keep. Getting a little something for Jerrells is better than just cutting him.

Now, we just have to wait to see the details on the pick Spurs get.

Spurs Brazil
10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Good luck CJ

And one more thing, Hoopsworld beat McDonald and Monroe, unbelievable

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Good move :tu

Spurs couldn't keep both Temple and Jerrells because it would have created a logjam at the guard spots. IMO, Temple was the most interesting to keep. Getting a little something for Jerrells is better than just cutting him.

Yeah, that's pretty amazing. We knew after last night's game that CJ's preseason had basically become an audition for other teams, so getting something for him is great.

DesignatedT
10-17-2010, 06:23 PM
better than nothing I guess. Spurs always knew they were going with Temple and letting him re-unite with Demps is nice.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM

It took me a minute for this to sink in. Might have been Pop doing Dell a solid by bypassing the waiver wire. The Spurs might end up with nothing out of this.

Bruno
10-17-2010, 06:34 PM
It took me a minute for this to sink in. Might have been Pop doing Dell a solid by bypassing the waiver wire. The Spurs might end up with nothing out of this.

Yeah, it's possible that it is a move just to be nice with Jerrells and Demps with Spurs getting back virtually nothing. We will see.

Anyway, it's great for Jerrells. Shakur and Strawberry sucked in the preseason with Hornets. Willie Green is a SG. Jerrells has a great opportunity to get 10mpg at the point every night behind Paul. Getting consistent playing time will be huge for him.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Given Paul's recent health, CJ has a chance to get even more than that.

Russ
10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Larry Brown pays Pop back for Butler. :)

Sausage
10-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Scola

easy7
10-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Great move!!!

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 06:45 PM
So I guess he wasn't beating out Temple. :lol

Nice to see that a spinoff GM is willing to work with us, unlike Prick-tard. Hopefully, if this is a "solid", Demps will do us one in return at some point. I don't really care if the pick turns out to be nothing, since that is exactly what CJ cost us to begin with. If it turns out to be an actual pick, then we defied the old "something for nothing" saying.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 06:48 PM
So I guess he wasn't beating out Temple. :lol

He was when Temple showed absolutely no signs of life. Once Temple actually stepped on the floor with a pulse last night, he secured his job. It's not like Temple's lived up to any expectations from last season.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM
He was when Temple showed absolutely no signs of life. Once Temple actually stepped on the floor with a pulse last night, he secured his job. It's not like Temple's lived up to any expectations from last season.

Fail. If he was beating Temple out, they're not trading him based on a one game reversal after three games going the other way. Temple's "jeopardy" was a collective "Fig Newton" of the imagination on the part of the Mosque of al Jerrell and nothing more.

angelbelow
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Wonder if Dell Demps has something to do with this =p

timtonymanu
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I like this move.

It gives Jerrells an opportunity to play in the NBA instead of going back to the D-League. He looked ready for the NBA. Best of luck to him.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Fail. If he was beating Temple out, they're not trading him based on a one game reversal after three games going the other way. Temple's "jeopardy" was a collective "Fig Newton" of the imagination on the part of the Mosque of al Jerrell and nothing more.

Why wouldn't they trade him after Temple finally showed up, especially if there's some value from CJ? It's not like a trade like this takes any time to do, and an inquiry could have been made at any time setting this up if things fell the right way. Temple only had an advantage because of his size, and it was looking like there was going to be no excuse for cutting Jerrells. Once Temple managed to spend some time not dribbling the ball off his foot, Pop could pull the trigger on the trade, and he basically did himself a favor by eliminating any second guessing from the fans because now he doesn't have to make a cut. That's a win/win situation for everyone.

I don't quite understand why you think people are worshipping Jerrells when they correctly point out that the kid was playing good basketball. I guess it gives you a fictional point to refute.

Pelicans78
10-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Demps continues to damage the Hornets organization while maintaining a role for his Spurs. Well played by Pops and Buford placing him in New Orleans. He will keep the Hornets down for a number of years.

WeNeedLength
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Demps continues to damage the Hornets organization while maintaining a role for his Spurs. Well played by Pops and Buford placing him in New Orleans. He will keep the Hornets down for a number of years.

But you got Peja, Okafor, Ariza......YOU STACKED! There should not be a problem. :lol

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Why wouldn't they trade him after Temple finally showed up, especially if there's some value from CJ? It's not like a trade like this takes any time to do, and an inquiry could have been made at any time setting this up if things fell the right way. Temple only had an advantage because of his size, and it was looking like there was going to be no excuse for cutting Jerrells. Once Temple managed to spend some time not dribbling the ball off his foot, Pop could pull the trigger on the trade, and he basically did himself a favor by eliminating any second guessing from the fans because now he doesn't have to make a cut. That's a win/win situation for everyone.

I don't quite understand why you think people are worshipping Jerrells when they correctly point out that the kid was playing good basketball. I guess it gives you a fictional point to refute.

It wasn't "Jerrells is playing good ball". Had it been that, I would have joined the chorus. It was "Jerrells is going to beat out Temple". That point needed to be refuted. Short of Temple committing a sex offense with a minor, or turning into a 6'6" Iverson attitude case, he was going to remain above CJ on the roster totem pole. CJ outplayed him in 3 games, he comes back and plays one OK game, and CJ is moved. Kinda proves the point I've been trying to make for the better part of a week, doesn't it?

Pelicans78
10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
But you got Peja, Okafor, Ariza......YOU STACKED! There should not be a problem. :lol

You left out Aaron Gray!

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 07:50 PM

You'll like CJ. He was our last cut in '09, and was just playing against a stacked deck of 4 PGs in camp this year.

DespЏrado
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Good work by Pop by getting him on a team that could actually utilize him. This seems like a good deal for everyone involved; if nothing else, it establishes the fact that the Spurs will get you into the NBA if you look like an NBA player even if we don't have room for you.

This is a good PR move from that perspective, a pick is almost superfluous after that. Good luck CJ.

ElNono
10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Great news for CJ...
Barring injuries, I don't think there's going to be much playing time for a 3rd PG in our team. He might have a better shot for playing time in NO.

Ice009
10-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Larry Brown pays Pop back for Butler. :)

Larry Brown is with the Bobcats, not Hornets, you got your franchises mixed up.

8FOR!3
10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
DJ Mbenga
Aaron Gray
Peja Stojakavic
Marcus Thornton
Curtis Jerrells

Ya'll stacked.

Obstructed_View
10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
It wasn't "Jerrells is playing good ball". Had it been that, I would have joined the chorus. It was "Jerrells is going to beat out Temple". That point needed to be refuted. Short of Temple committing a sex offense with a minor, or turning into a 6'6" Iverson attitude case, he was going to remain above CJ on the roster totem pole. CJ outplayed him in 3 games, he comes back and plays one OK game, and CJ is moved. Kinda proves the point I've been trying to make for the better part of a week, doesn't it?

It's pretty doubtful that anyone said CJ was going to beat out Temple, but there were a lot of people pointing out that he was playing far better ball than Temple and deserved a serious look if Temple didn't improve pretty quick. Everyone here knows damn good and well that Temple had a huge advantage and that it would take equal parts great play from Jerrells as terrible play from Temple in order for CJ to even have a prayer, just as everyone knew that CJ's fate was sealed after Temple finally showed up.

Seriously, if all you've been saying all this time is that Pop wasn't going to keep Jerrells over Temple, the only response from everyone is "Well, duh."

chasky
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Charlotte Hornets

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 08:43 PM
It's pretty doubtful that anyone said CJ was going to beat out Temple, but there were a lot of people pointing out that he was playing far better ball than Temple and deserved a serious look if Temple didn't improve pretty quick. Everyone here knows damn good and well that Temple had a huge advantage and that it would take equal parts great play from Jerrells as terrible play from Temple in order for CJ to even have a prayer, just as everyone knew that CJ's fate was sealed after Temple finally showed up.

Seriously, if all you've been saying all this time is that Pop wasn't going to keep Jerrells over Temple, the only response from everyone is "Well, duh."

Jerrels is beating Temple for the 3rd point guard spot. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163772)

A whole thread of it. Now do you get my response?

Cessation
10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Temple was sucking it up, due to his injury, jerrells was never a threat to his job, once he shook of the rust it became obvious to the rest of you.

ChuckD
10-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Charlotte Hornets

Not for quite some time.

New Orleans Hornets.
Charlotte Bobcats.

Pelicans78
10-17-2010, 08:46 PM
DJ Mbenga
Aaron Gray
Peja Stojakavic
Marcus Thornton
Curtis Jerrells

Ya'll stacked.

You left out Joe Alexander and Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Acquiring Pops is further proof that Demps still works for the Spurs.

slick'81
10-17-2010, 08:53 PM
good for cj nice to hear temple is playng well too

timvp
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
A little bit surprising but Jerrells earned it by playing really well in the preseason. Hopefully he thrives in N.O.

This tells me Jerrells didn't have a legit chance of making the Spurs. Coming into training camp, the coaching staff was a lot higher on Temple. I was skeptical that the coaches would ever opt to drop Temple and keep Jerrells. I'm guessing that the Spurs even told Jerrells that making the team wasn't likely ... hence the reports Jerrells had already lined up a European contract.

Temple, in theory, fits the Spurs better. He can play both guard positions, he's a versatile defender and he's a low volume offensive player. If you just went by preseason, Jerrells has been the much better player. We'll see in a year or two if the Spurs were right in keeping Temple and trading Jerrells.

Russ
10-17-2010, 09:21 PM

Yep. Always happens to me with franchises that move.

chasky
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Not for quite some time.

I make a joke saying Charlotte Hornets.

CJ is a good player if we can't keep him at least we earn a second round pick.

Truth4sale$
10-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Best thing about this trade is it finally shows the Dleague has value. CJ worked his ass off and proved he deserved a serious shot at the NBA not some half ass euro league team. The toros was starting to be a serious bust but CJ has proven and continue to prove you get what you put into it. Good luck CJ!

JustinJDW
10-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Good move.

Lets be realistic, Jerrells was never really likely to be on the roster and get minutes in our rotation. It just wasn't happening with Parker, Hill, Manu, Neal, Anderson and Temple in the lineup. He was behind all of them. So its good that we traded a player we were gonna cut for a 2nd Round pick, which we are masters at using.

Plus this is great for Jerrells, because he is going to get minutes in New Orleans. He is in a far better situation now than if he were just to be sent back to the D-League or play overseas.

Good luck to you CJ. Thank you for your talent, and I hope you have a good career. :toast

ChumpDumper
10-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Jerrells gets a shot at making an NBA rotation and the Spurs don't lose him for nothing (apparently).

Win-win.

It would be nice if the other soon-to-be castoffs play well enough to trigger similar deals, but the Toros can get some decent D-League players if nothing else.

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM
I am meh on the idea. With how CJ was playing and with (a small) possibility of TP leaving, I would have liked to hold onto him as a prospect, even if it meant stashing him in Europe.

I just look at it like is this 2nd rounder likely to show what CJ has? Maybe, maybe not. Not a big deal and at least they get a little something.

Question, do salaries not have to match on a player making as little money as CJ?

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Whatever happened to Nando De Colo? Is he still on the radar at all? I stopped paying attention.

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Nando has kind of regressed imo. He looks like a poor mans Steve Blake to me.

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Nando has kind of regressed imo. He looks like a poor mans Steve Blake to me.

Ouch . . .

ChumpDumper
10-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I am meh on the idea. With how CJ was playing and with (a small) possibility of TP leaving, I would have liked to hold onto him as a prospect, even if it meant stashing him in Europe.

I just look at it like is this 2nd rounder likely to show what CJ has? Maybe, maybe not. Not a big deal and at least they get a little something.He was going to be waived anyway and would have been lost for nothing. Since there actually was a trade, one could assume more than one team was interested.

Question, do salaries not have to match on a player making as little money as CJ?Not with minimum salary players.

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Jerrells was gone anyway . . . along with Cousin, Gee and Gist

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 10:24 PM
He was going to be waived anyway and would have been lost for nothing. Since there actually was a trade, one could assume more than one team was interested.

Not with minimum salary players.

Could he have not gone to Europe with the understanding that if he keeps developing, he would get an invite to the Spurs. They would not hold his rights, but it seems like many players like the Spurs and are more than willing to come back if given the opportunity.

Like I said, under the circumstances, it is not bad, but I liked the way CJ was progressing.

I am happy for him, but I am glad the Spurs chose Temple.

duncan228
10-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Curtis Jerrells traded to New Orleans Hornets (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Timothy Varner
48 Minutes of Hell

According to Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld, the San Antonio Spurs have traded Curtis Jerrells to the New Orleans Hornets (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17637) for a second round pick. This is a good trade for both teams, and one with a backstory.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/17/curtis-jerrells-traded-new-orleans/#more-10234)

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 10:38 PM
duncan228 with the "Late Edition"!

DPG21920
10-17-2010, 10:40 PM
:lol at the "Hooray for the Toros" comment.

duncan228
10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
duncan228 with the "Late Edition"!

Nope. With Varner's take on the trade.

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
14 man roster. eh? I guess I have to adjust my "cut squad".

. . . along with Cousin and Gist

Nope. With Varner's take on the trade.

Are you a robot?

The Truth #6
10-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Good trade, even if it's for a conditional pick in 2019 (because we all know that draft is stacked with stretch fours in the later round!)

If nothing else we have a good relationship with a struggling team and who knows...maybe this will help us down the line somehow. Obviously, Demps was already a friend of Pop but this is still a positive development.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Could he have not gone to Europe with the understanding that if he keeps developing, he would get an invite to the Spurs.He would still have to be waived, then any NBA team could pick him up.

ohmwrecker
10-17-2010, 11:26 PM
The Hornets needed a PG pretty damn bad.

Cessation
10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Good trade.

Zero_Twilight
10-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow, this was a slick move. A good way to stack chips.

Truth4sale$
10-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Could Gee be next?

timtonymanu
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM
So who will get the 13th spot? It's obviously Simmons.

Cousin and Gist are likely out to the Toros.

I would be very surprised if Gee is kept. He looks Toros bound already.

temujin
10-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Good move.

All the Spurs will need is either a youngster with no ACLs or a Slovenian point guard to enter the draft.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Jerrels is beating Temple for the 3rd point guard spot. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163772)

Not really, because you contend in that thread that it was only two games, which means you agree that CJ was outplaying Temple. Again, the reality that Pop was going to keep Temple pretty much no matter what is understood by everyone, otherwise "Jerrells is beating Temple" wouldn't be a discussion-worthy topic.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Are you a robot?

Shut up.

ceperez
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Jerrells gets a shot at making an NBA rotation and the Spurs don't lose him for nothing (apparently).

Win-win.

It would be nice if the other soon-to-be castoffs play well enough to trigger similar deals, but the Toros can get some decent D-League players if nothing else.

Agree. Good trade.

Don't think Jerrells would ever be a good fit for the Spurs. I guess this seals the deal that the Spurs keep Temple.

So who is left to get cut?

PG - Parker, Hill, Temple
SG - Manu, Anderson, Neal
SF - RJ
PF - Duncan, Blair, Bonner
C - Splitter, McDyess

That's 12 right there. I think that's the Spurs final Roster.

mountainballer
10-18-2010, 07:15 AM
ah yes. so Spurs get an exception permit to carry just 12.

ohmwrecker
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Shut up.

????!!!!

dunkman
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Too bad. He can play. Hopefully, the Spurs will transform that second rounder into a productive player.

Pelicans78
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
The Hornets needed a PG pretty damn bad.

Very badly. Right now we have 6'2 Jordan wannabes trying to run the backup point. Hopefully CJ can take the spot right away and lead our 2nd unit which can be solid with Thornton, Peja, Pops, and Jason Smith.

silverblackfan
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I think it was a good move. CJ gets to play with CP3 and will probably see good minutes. Good for him. CJ working with Dell again will be a good thing. Second round draft pick for a guy to be cut, even better.
It appears that Pop's network of former Spurs staff is continuing to pay dividends...

cd98
10-18-2010, 11:41 AM

I kind of agree with this. The Hornets need a back up. The Spurs weren't going to keep Temple and Jerrells. Why not just wait until the Spurs cut him and then pick him up for free? The only problem would be if the Spurs tried to ship Jerrells to one of their Euro teams as a way of keeping other NBA teams from touching him.

duncan228
10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
#spurs send Curtis Jerrells to NOLA for future 2nd-rounder. If Garrett Temple wasn't a roster lock before, he is now.

Garrett Temple calls Jerrells trade "best possible scenario" for both players. "We both have the opportunity to make an NBA roster."

benefactor
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Capt. Obvious McDonald to the rescue!

phxspurfan
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Are you a robot?

I lol'd

Steve-O-Matic
10-18-2010, 01:11 PM
FWIW, the Hornets have officially announced the trade, though no mention of specficially what the Spurs are receiving in return.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/hornets_acquire_jerrells_2010_10_18.html#

October 18, 2010

The New Orleans Hornets announced today that they have acquired guard Curtis Jerrells from the San Antonio Spurs.

Jerrells (6-1, 195), was undrafted in the 2009 NBA Draft out of Baylor University. In five preseason games this season for the Spurs, Jerrells has averaged 6.4 points, 1.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 15.8 minutes.

The Austin native appeared in five preseason games with the Spurs during the 2009-10 season, averaging 3.6 points and 1.8 assists in 14.8 minutes before being released. He appeared in 50 games (all starts) for the Austin Toros of the NBA D-League last season, averaging 20.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 5.7 assists and 1.9 steals in 40.2 minutes. He was named to the All-NBA D-League Third Team and was selected as the D-League Performer of the Week twice. In six playoff games for Austin, Jerrells averaged 27.0 points, 4.2 rebounds and 6.2 assists. He was signed by the Spurs on March 24, but did not see any action during the regular season or the playoffs.

Jerrells played four seasons at Baylor, becoming the first player in school history to lead the team in scoring, assists and minutes played in each of his four seasons. He appeared in 119 career games (all starts), averaging 15.3 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists for the Bears. He was named to All-Big 12 teams in each of his four seasons and is the only player in Baylor history to have more than 1,000 points, 400 assists and 400 steals.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I kind of agree with this. The Hornets need a back up. The Spurs weren't going to keep Temple and Jerrells. Why not just wait until the Spurs cut him and then pick him up for free? The only problem would be if the Spurs tried to ship Jerrells to one of their Euro teams as a way of keeping other NBA teams from touching him.The other problem would be the nine or so NBA teams that could have picked up Jerrells off waivers before the Hornets.

DesignatedT
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Agree. Good trade.

Don't think Jerrells would ever be a good fit for the Spurs. I guess this seals the deal that the Spurs keep Temple.

SF - RJ
C - Splitter, McDyess

Add simmons and that will be it.

Spurs Brazil
10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Capt. Obvious McDonald to the rescue!

Look at this

Jerrells' trade to New Orleans opens roster spot for Temple
By Tim Griffin on Oct 18, 10 10:48 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark Twitter
Mike Monroe had the scoop this morning about the trade of Curtis Jerrells to New Orleans for a future second-round draft pick.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Spurs Brazil
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Spurs Trade Jerrells To New Orleans
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 18, 2010) - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have traded Curtis Jerrells to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for a conditional second round draft pick.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_trade_jerrells_101018.html

Bruno
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM

The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have traded Curtis Jerrells to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for a conditional second round draft pick.

I guess it's something like a top55 protected pick. Basically Spurs are trading Jerrells for nothing.

It's still a good move. I think it's important for a team like Spurs to show they care about its players. While low-balling Anderson on his rookie contract for few $10K sucks, this move is good for Spurs image among players/agents. Even if a player isn't good enough to make the roster, Spurs won't let him down and will try to find him a good place whether in Europe (Hairston) or elsewhere in NBA (Jerrells).

wontstartdumbthreads
10-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Spurs Trade Jerrells To New Orleans
SAN ANTONIO (Oct. 18, 2010) - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have traded Curtis Jerrells to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for a conditional second round draft pick.

I don't understand this move. Could the Spurs front office see a possible replacement for Parker falling to the conditional second round next year?

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't understand this move. Could the Spurs front office see a possible replacement for Parker falling to the conditional second round next year?No. If the conditions of the pick aren't easily met, it's just giving Dell what he wants and CJ a shot at making an NBA team. The only thing in it for the Spurs would be goodwill.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
No. If the conditions of the pick aren't easily met, it's just giving Dell what he wants and CJ a shot at making an NBA team. The only thing in it for the Spurs would be goodwill.

Funny how that goodwill is rarely reciprocated by other teams, moreso with many of the prime culprits actually having Spurs ties.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Funny how that goodwill is rarely reciprocated by other teams, moreso with many of the prime culprits actually having Spurs ties.Examples?

cantthinkofanything
10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
No. If the conditions of the pick aren't easily met, it's just giving Dell what he wants and CJ a shot at making an NBA team. The only thing in it for the Spurs would be goodwill.

What are the conditions of the pick? Are these publically released?

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Examples?

Wow, you turn everything into a fight, dontcha?

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Wow, you turn everything into a fight, dontcha?No, I just couldn't think of any examples of the other teams right now.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
No, I just couldn't think of any examples of the other teams right now.

Pritchard came immediately to mind when I read that, though maybe I'm just viewing situations through Spurs homer glasses.

Pop seems to go out of his way to do the right thing by people. I don't think he's ever screwed someone over to improve the team. People shouldn't do the right thing with the intent of getting something back, but it seems like he should get a little good karma at some point. Maybe I just can't think of any examples of that offhand.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Well Pritchard turned out to be a megalomaniacal douche, and the only perceived slight I can think from him is targeting the same draft picks.

This is Curtis Jerrells we're talking about after all. There was probably some demand for him. Just not enough to guarantee a second rounder.

wontstartdumbthreads
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Well Pritchard turned out to be a megalomaniacal douche, and the only perceived slight I can think from him is targeting the same draft picks.

This is Curtis Jerrells we're talking about after all. There was probably some demand for him. Just not enough to guarantee a second rounder.

Well, I hope this just doesn't turn into another Scola fiasco.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2010, 02:46 PM
This is Curtis Jerrells we're talking about after all.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Well, I hope this just doesn't turn into another Scola fiasco.

I wish your name was wontmakedumbposts.

tp2021
10-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I wish your name was wontmakedumbposts.

Why, so he can lie to you?

NickiRasgo
10-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I guess it's something like a top55 protected pick. Basically Spurs are trading Jerrells for nothing.

It's still a good move. I think it's important for a team like Spurs to show they care about its players. While low-balling Anderson on his rookie contract for few $10K sucks, this move is good for Spurs image among players/agents. Even if a player isn't good enough to make the roster, Spurs won't let him down and will try to find him a good place whether in Europe (Hairston) or elsewhere in NBA (Jerrells).

Manu Ginobili v2.0.

Bruno
10-18-2010, 03:48 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

The pick Spurs get is a Clippers 2014 top55 protected second round pick. Hornets got that pick last January when they traded Bobby Brown to LA.

MannyIsGod
10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
A top 55 protected pick is still not bad considering your going to cut him. Having a small chance at a 2nd rounder is obviously better than no chance when you give up nothing.

Bruno
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Spurs get the pick only because trading a player for nothing isn't allowed in the CBA.

Spurs just do this trade to be nice with Jerrells and the Hornets.

cd98
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Is it me, or is Portland the most outrageous franchise when it comes to dealing?

Did you hear the Chris Paul deal they proposed? The following:

Chris Paul to Portland
Devin Harris and Chris Humphries to New Orleans
Derrick Favors to Denver
Carmelo Anthony and Andre Miller to New Jersey

In other words, they get Chris Paul for Andre Miller. They overvalue their players. Apparently they think Denver would be happy trading Anthony for a rookie that has so far sucked in every preseason game and was disappointing in summer league play.

That team won't do anyone any favors. They won't even let Fernandez return to Spain.

elemento
10-18-2010, 04:33 PM
well, gl to Jerrells.

Hopefully he may learn a lot from CP3.

Ginnoobbllee
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
So what it boils down to is the Spurs get the 2nd round pick in 2014 only if the LA Clippers finish with one of the four best records in the NBA in 2014 (LA clips draft in 56-60th position). Hey maybe Blake Griffin reaches his Tim Duncan like prime!

or i.e., as speculated, it's just a favor to Jerrells to get him to a team that could use him. I was wondering why they didn't just wait for the Spurs to obviously cut him. The pick, most likely will never happen. If it does, it's almost an undrafted free agent pick, since it's at the end of the draft.
:lobt2:

DPG21920
10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I wish there was room on the roster for CJ. He looked like he was coming along nicely. These types of moves endear players to the Spurs. Hopefully it pays off somehow down the road.

lurker23
10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

The pick Spurs get is a Clippers 2014 top55 protected second round pick. Hornets got that pick last January when they traded Bobby Brown to LA.

So fans of second round picks need to root for the Clippers and Bobcats to become the dynasties of this decade. :hungry: :lol

Solid D
10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
I've been on the road and saw this thread. I'll admit, I guessed wrong on Jerrells being on the Spurs' roster to start the season...with the standard caveat of 'unless he doesn't mess up what he has built in training camp'. Now, Curtis is on the Hornets roster and he should have a chance to build on his skills. Hopefully, he can learn to make better passes.

The Spurs still need to find someone who can defend small, quick PGs when Tony is out. That guy isn't Garrett Temple and George Hill struggles there, too.

Solid D
10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, and by the way, I really like Garrett Temple and did not proclaim him off the roster. I'd rather see Gary Neal as the 3rd PG (not counting Manu) of the current guys on the roster. Garrett does fine as a 2-3, 14th or 15th slot. Maybe he'll stick with the team.

Spurs Brazil
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
JMcDonald_SAEN
Pop on new NOLA PG Jerrells: "He’s an NBA guard. There’s no doubt about it, he's going to play someplace. I just hope it’s New Orleans."

GSH
10-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Jerrells showed enough to be worth a pick, which says a lot. Sometimes it seems like a shame that you can't keep them all.

I hope that means that they see enough in Temple to keep him around. I really love the possibilities of having a guy with his height who can run the point - especially what it could do for us on the defensive end. I think that Temple and Hill on the floor at the same time could give people some trouble.

I hope Jerrells makes it in NO. I really hope we get a great second round pick out of it.

chasky
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Top 55!!! That sucks horrible work for the FO. Keep Him and trade him for something!

ChuckD
10-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Top 55!!! That sucks horrible work for the FO. Keep Him and trade him for something!

I'm sure their phones were ringing off the hook for our 4th PG. Or, maybe not.

Veterinarian
10-19-2010, 12:11 AM

:lmao :lmao jizzed on.

TD 21
10-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Agree. Good trade.

SF - RJ
C - Splitter, McDyess

Why list Duncan as a PF when he'll play strictly C?

I've read articles about how he'll actually be a PF this season playing next to Splitter. They forgot one thing: he'll be playing next to Blair. Knowing how Pop operates, he'll probably rarely play Duncan and Splitter together (I wouldn't be surprised if Duncan plays less next to him than any of the other bigs), save for against a few teams and even when he does, Duncan will be the C. Because Splitter is more mobile at this point in their careers, he'll guard the PF's.

More like...

PF- Blair, McDyess, Bonner
SF- Jefferson, Simmons
C- Duncan, Splitter
SG- Ginobili, Anderson, Neal
PG- Parker, Hill, Temple

Very badly. Right now we have 6'2 Jordan wannabes trying to run the backup point. Hopefully CJ can take the spot right away and lead our 2nd unit which can be solid with Thornton, Peja, Pops, and Jason Smith.

I suspect Green will get first crack at being the backup PG. Once he inevitably fails miserably, Jerrells will probably get a chance at some point.

The Hornets backup bigs and points are beyond awful. Despite Paul's greatness, that lack of depth in conjunction with the lack of a go-to wing player, will more than likely result in them not making the playoffs again.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM

The fact that Jerrells was beating out Temple for the spot is far from saying that Pop was going to keep Jerrells instead of Temple.

TJastal
10-19-2010, 01:06 AM
The fact that Jerrells was beating out Temple for the spot is far from saying that Pop was going to keep Jerrells instead of Temple.

Bingo, was wondering if anyone was going to point that out or not.

TJastal
10-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Fail.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3113/wishiwaschicken.gif

ace3g
10-19-2010, 01:43 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010101829

good to see he already got some playing time with the Hornets

ivanfromwestwood
10-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Pops Mensah-Bonsu with 19 pts and 10 reb :wow

Eddy from Austin
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Jerrells struggles in his New Orleans debut
By Tim Griffin on Oct 19, 10 09:59 AM
(http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/tim_griffin/2010/10/jerrells-struggles-in-his-new.html)
Former Spurs point guard Curtis Jerrells wasted little time joining his new team, playing with the New Orleans Hornets only a few hours after his trade from San Antonio was announced.

It looked like Jerrells' jumper still had a touch of jet lag, as he missed two of his three field-goal attempts in his first game with the Hornets. The former Baylor standout was minus-10 in plus/minus, was limited to two points and had a turnover in eight minutes of action in the fourth quarter of the Hornets' 96-91 loss at Memphis.

New Orleans coach Monty Williams told the New Orleans Times-Picayune that he played Jerrells immediately because he wanted to see how he would react to his new surroundings.

The Hornets' roster has 16 players after point guard Mustafa Shakur was cut before Jerrells was picked up.

According to the Times-Picayune, if the Jerrells makes the Hornets' regular-season roster and the Los Angeles Clippers finish among the top four teams in the league at the end of the season, the Hornets will send the Spurs a future second-round pick they obtained from the Clippers last season when they traded guard Bobby Brown.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
According to the Times-Picayune, if the Jerrells makes the Hornets' regular-season roster and the Los Angeles Clippers finish among the top four teams in the league at the end of the season, the Hornets will send the Spurs a future second-round pick they obtained from the Clippers last season when they traded guard Bobby Brown.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_69RyV4AprU4/RpfvDIbXVWI/AAAAAAAAAJs/xGQFDl68KQE/s320/jim_carrey.jpg

So you're telling me there's a chance!

DPG21920
10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Portland traded Bayless to N.O. That is not a good sign for Jerrells.

angelbelow
10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Portland traded Bayless to N.O. That is not a good sign for Jerrells.

Oh really? who did portland get?

chasky
10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh really? who did portland get?

New Orleans 2011 first round pick.

wildbill2u
10-23-2010, 08:24 PM
doesn't NO still have that really good rookie from last year at PG who many were saying was so good they could trade Paul? Can't remember the name (Collison?)

ShoogarBear
10-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Darren Collison is with the Pacers now. Reportedly his assists have taken a big drop away from the friendly confines of the New Orleans scorer.

angelbelow
10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
New Orleans 2011 first round pick.

Interesting, this trade will probably help the hornets a bit but was this move made to make Rudy happy? Probably.

ChuckD
10-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Darren Collison is with the Pacers now. Reportedly his assists have taken a big drop away from the friendly confines of the New Orleans scorer.

You've heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Well, this is something different. It's named after the original beneficiary, and it's called Stockton Syndrome. The beneficiary will be credited with an assist, even if he isn't in the game, but in fact is on the bench waving a towel.

ChuckD
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Interesting, this trade will probably help the hornets a bit but was this move made to make Rudy happy? Probably.

Nothing could accomplish that at this point.

I think it was a move to not have Bayless turn into Rudy II, with Miller and Roy handling the bulk of the create minutes in their offense. With Rudy and Roy already barking this pre-season, all they need is another clubhouse lawyer.

DPG21920
10-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Plus, Bayless is not that good. He has shown some flashes here and there, but I don't see him as anything special at all. So getting a first rounder is nice.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
You've heard of Stockholm Syndrome? Well, this is something different. It's named after the original beneficiary, and it's called Stockton Syndrome. The beneficiary will be credited with an assist, even if he isn't in the game, but in fact is on the bench waving a towel.

Yeah, the Jazz def originated the practice. They were still giving Stockton 6 APG the year after he retired.

TD 21
10-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Good trade for both teams.

For the Trail Blazers, they'd have had a malcontent on their hands if Bayless wasn't handed rotation minutes this season (understandably so in his case, he's been patient enough and despite his shortcomings, is easily talented enough to be a rotation player).

With already a malcontent of epic proportions in Fernandez and when considering the contract they gave Matthews, plus the starting perimeter trio of Roy, Miller and Batum, it only made sense for five players to play rotation minutes on the perimeter. Throw in the fact that they already have a trio of guard prospects in Williams, Johnson and Mills (who they'd have likely otherwise had to waive had this trade not been consummated) and the fact that they're getting a quality pick back and it's a no brainer.

For the Hornets, this is all about keeping Paul happy. Did they overpay slightly in terms of the protection (or lack thereof)? Possibly, depending on where the pick falls, but Bayless figures to be a massive improvement over Green/Jerrells as the backup point. Also, if they're smart, this frees them up to start Thornton, allow Bayless to be the third guard and go-to scorer for the second unit and demote Belinelli to fourth guard status.

They were probably not going to make the playoffs before this trade and this trade probably doesn't change that, but it should get them a little closer, allow them to not wear out Paul as much (even though he's their only true PG) and puts them in a position to where, if they can acquire a decent third big, they could be a playoff team.

All in all, it makes sense. Waiting on a pick that probably would have fallen somewhere between 12-15 next year was only going to put them one step closer to losing Paul.

ChuckD
10-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Plus, Bayless is not that good. He has shown some flashes here and there, but I don't see him as anything special at all. So getting a first rounder is nice.

If George Hill had the "chances" that Bayless had, he'd be shit, too. Hill played more as a rookie than Bayless did in his second year. Young PGs need to be developed, not sat. He played real well in the playoffs last year, too. If he can scavenge a few minutes at the SG spot, he might actually develop.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Jerrells was waived to make room for Bayless.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69747/20101025/hornets_waive_curtis_jerrells/

Chieflion
10-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Jerrells was waived to make room for Bayless.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69747/20101025/hornets_waive_curtis_jerrells/

The hell Dell Damps doing at New Orleans?

Obstructed_View
10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
I suppose it was inevitable that CJ was going to be cut by the Spurs anyway, but that seems like kind of a dick move to cut a guy after a colleague went to some trouble to get him to your team.

SenorSpur
10-25-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69747/20101025/hornets_waive_curtis_jerrells/

The Hornets waived point guard Curtis Jerrells on Sunday.

New Orleans acquired Jerrells in a trade with San Antonio last week.

Because of his release, the Hornets won't have to send a future second-round pick to the Spurs.

The move comes after the team acquired Jerryd Bayless from the Trail Blazers.

The Hornets now have the league-maximum of 15 players on their roster.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/69747/20101025/hornets_waive_curtis_jerrells/#ixzz13NYGhAep

wildbill2u
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Hornets made a better deal for a better player so Jarells was expendable.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
I suppose it was inevitable that CJ was going to be cut by the Spurs anyway, but that seems like kind of a dick move to cut a guy after a colleague went to some trouble to get him to your team.

This :tu.
Demps is off the list of favors now.

timvp
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Do the Hornets have his D-League rights? I'm assuming they do but the D-League rules change so much I honestly don't know.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Do the Hornets have his D-League rights? I'm assuming they do but the D-League rules change so much I honestly don't know.I guess New Mexico can pick him up now since it would actually be their call, though it seems weird that the Hornets end of the trade is off no matter what.

Ryvin1
10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I guess New Mexico can pick him up now since it would actually be their call, though it seems weird that the Hornets end of the trade is off no matter what.

If the trade was completed I would think think the unlikely to happen pick would still belong to the Spurs. If the whole trade was voided then would think the Toros would get first shot, but wasn't he bound for overseas if cut by the Spurs anyway?

ChumpDumper
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
If the trade was completed I would think think the unlikely to happen pick would still belong to the Spurs. If the whole trade was voided then would think the Toros would get first shot, but wasn't he bound for overseas if cut by the Spurs anyway?I'm assuming the trade was complete and the Spurs don't receive the pick because keeping Jerrells for some defined amount of time was a condition of the trade. The Hornets waived him, so it looks he was theirs to waive and their D-League affiliate would get first shot at him.

Hopefully the new ownership runs the Thunderbirds better than David Kahn's company did.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I guess New Mexico can pick him up now since it would actually be their call, though it seems weird that the Hornets end of the trade is off no matter what.

Maybe it was all a ploy and CJ will wait 30 days and re-sign with the Spurs!

beachwood
10-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Actually Bayless is very good. He just wasn't developed or used properly by Portland. If unleashed he'll become one of the better scorers in the league.

Bruno
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Do the Hornets have his D-League rights? I'm assuming they do but the D-League rules change so much I honestly don't know.

I think Toros still have his D-League rights.

If I've understood well the new rule, a player cut during the training camp can only be assigned to the affiliate D-League team if nobody owns his D-League rights.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Did we just get Kevin Palmer'd?

ChumpDumper
10-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I think Toros still have his D-League rights.

If I've understood well the new rule, a player cut during the training camp can only be assigned to the affiliate D-League team if nobody owns his D-League rights.That kind of makes sense, but who knows.

That would mean the Toros could conceivably have a Dwayne Jones/Marcus Cousin frontline?

lol

jiggy_55
10-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Did anyone know this?

From Mike Monroe (last paragraph):
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_grasping_the_Spurs_Way_105744458.html
"Jerrells cut, draft pick lost: The Hornets on Sunday waived former Spurs point guard Curtis Jerrells to make room on their roster for combo guard Jarryd Bayless. In the process, the Spurs lost the future second-round draft pick they had acquired from the Hornets when they traded Jerrells to New Orleans last week."

mosdef17
10-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Actually Bayless is very good. He just wasn't developed or used properly by Portland. If unleashed he'll become one of the better scorers in the league.

Correction; one of the better BENCH scorers in the league. He is a good player but he's not going to be one of the better scorers in the league...

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Did anyone know this?

From Mike Monroe (last paragraph):
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_grasping_the_Spurs_Way_105744458.html
"Jerrells cut, draft pick lost: The Hornets on Sunday waived former Spurs point guard Curtis Jerrells to make room on their roster for combo guard Jarryd Bayless. In the process, the Spurs lost the future second-round draft pick they had acquired from the Hornets when they traded Jerrells to New Orleans last week."

How does someone that stupid have a job writing about basketball? Seriously. Does he have a relative that bought the paper?

jiggy_55
10-26-2010, 08:33 AM
How does someone that stupid have a job writing about basketball? Seriously. Does he have a relative that bought the paper?

I don't know the rules on such a trade, or the specifics of D-league eligibility. But how on Earth can he say we've lost the 2nd round pick? I just don't get it, it sounds retarded lol

Obstructed_View
10-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't know the rules on such a trade, or the specifics of D-league eligibility. But how on Earth can he say we've lost the 2nd round pick? I just don't get it, it sounds retarded lol

The last discussion we had at Spurstalk about the pick pretty much disappeared once we figured out that it was just a favor to Demps by Pop. Once details were released about the trade, our speculation was confirmed. The Clippers will have to go to the finals next year and the year after or something like that for the pick to even be awarded to the Spurs.

Surely Pop didn't trade CJ to Dell so he could do the dirty work and cut him, right? :lol

ducks
11-09-2010, 02:11 AM
neal is better then him

Obstructed_View
11-09-2010, 02:17 AM
neal is better then him

Irrelevant. Spurs still need a point guard.

Spurs Brazil
11-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Jerrells To Work Out With Wolves

Nov 09, 2010 4:26 PM EST
The injury-depleted Timberwolves will have Curtis Jerrells in for a workout on Wednesday, according to Sam Amico of NBA.com.

Jerrells, who played his college basketball at Baylor, has spent time in the organizations of the Spurs and Hornets.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70009/20101109/jerrells_to_work_out_with_wolves/#ixzz14peSmwaT

Big P
11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I would rather see Jerrells on the team than Quinn.

BackHome
11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't know you had Jerrells who played great in D-League but so did Hairston, Gee, Pop, Ian, etc....................

Bruno
11-18-2010, 12:36 PM
It's November 18th, Spurs are now allowed to re-sign Jerrells if they want it.
Waiving Quinn and re-signing Jerrells could be a move that makes sense for Spurs.

SenorSpur
11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
It's November 18th, Spurs are now allowed to re-sign Jerrells if they want it.
Waiving Quinn and re-signing Jerrells could be a move that makes sense for Spurs.

I sure hope they can do this.