PDA

View Full Version : Mavs excited about the future Cuban said. ``I love our team.''

ducks
05-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Mavs excited about the future
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
May 21, 2005

DALLAS (AP) -- If Steve Nash wasn't such a big reason the Dallas Mavericks are out of the playoffs, it would be a lot easier for them to feel good about everything they accomplished this season.

Even before owner Mark Cuban decided not to re-sign the team's offensive linchpin last summer, the Mavericks already were moving in a new direction, one that emphasized defense. Nash's departure accelerated the overhaul, freeing the money to bring in a batch of players better suited to the change.

Then late in the season, the Mavericks switched coaches, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
Despite the new strategy, new lineup and a new voice calling plays, Dallas won 58 games, second-most in franchise history, made it through a grueling first-round playoff series against Houston and took the team with the league's best record to overtime of Game 6 in the second round.

``They poured their hearts out this year,'' said Avery Johnson, who signed last summer to be a backup point guard and assistant coach but wound up replacing head coach Don Nelson in March. ``I love them, and I am proud of them.''

No matter how shiny the silver lining is, for at least a few days it will be overshadowed by visions of Nash pulling the Phoenix Suns past the Mavs. He directed a 25-point win in the opener, had 17 assists in the next win, then closed out the Mavs in the last two games -- recording a triple-double and finishing a rebound shy of another.

The league MVP capped his performance by making his last five shots in the decisive Game 6, including a 3-pointer that tied it with 5.7 seconds left in regulation and the 3 that put Phoenix ahead for good in overtime. Adding to the agony for Dallas fans, he beat his replacement, Jason Terry, on both baskets.

``I've never seen him play better,'' good buddy Dirk Nowitzki said. ``I think he wanted to show Dallas what we missed, and he did that.''

Cuban still has no regrets. Keeping Nash would've made for ``a completely different team,'' he said, ``and I like this team a whole lot better.''

``I'm dying for training camp to start,'' Cuban said. ``I love our team.''

As the Mavericks begin preparing for their 26th season still seeking their first title, they have solid reasons to feel good about building around Nowitzki and Johnson, who went 16-2 in the regular season and learned some tough lessons in the playoffs.

Nowitzki was third in MVP voting and became the first Mav to make the first-team All-NBA squad. A season that began with questions about his leadership ended with him calling out Erick Dampier early in the Phoenix series, then chewing out Terry at midcourt for getting shown up by Nash in the finale.

He remained outspoken afterward, with biting lines such as, ``I thought we had all the right pieces to go all the way, but we weren't smart enough.''

``We're all frustrated and disappointed,'' said Nowitzki, who admitted he also wasn't at his best in the playoffs. ``We didn't reach our goal. Obviously, something wasn't right.''

The challenge will be figuring out what to change and how to do it, especially since Dallas already is committed to contracts worth roughly $95 million.

The closest thing the Mavs have to a key free agent is Terry, whose contract expires after next season. With a salary of roughly $7.5 million, he could be trade bait, unless the Mavs decide Devin Harris still needs to be brought along slowly at point guard. The rookie played a team-low nine minutes in the Phoenix series.

Talk radio is sure to be filled with chatter about Dampier, who soaked up most of the money not given to Nash, then claimed he was the best big man in the West.

When healthy and out of foul trouble, he gave Dallas the presence in the middle the team has lacked for years, but his poor hands and tendency to disappear irritated more folks than Nowitzki. Dampier's biggest supporter, though, is Johnson, and Johnson has the full support of Cuban.

A tougher call might be what to do at shooting guard and small forward. The logjam there includes longtime stalwart Michael Finley, emerging star Josh Howard, sixth man Jerry Stackhouse and late-season addition Keith Van Horn.

Howard went from possible odd-man-out in training camp to the team's most valuable player not born in Germany, yet he's not the polished scorer the others are. Finley faded in the postseason, though, and Van Horn made it easier to spread the minutes in the playoffs because he didn't play after spraining an ankle in Game 3 against Houston.

``We have a good situation here, a good nucleus,'' Johnson said. ``I am raring to go for next October.''

Pandaemonaeon
05-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Well I'm not. Keep Terry, Harris, Howard and Dirk. The rest is fair game.

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/9500/pandafish2jp.gif

ShoogarBear
05-24-2005, 05:49 AM
When Cuban says he loves his team, it takes on different meaning than with other owners.

baseline bum
05-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I told all of you here that Dampier was going to be a spectacular bust. Stats in a contract year on a horrible team mean nothing.

MadDog73
05-24-2005, 04:48 PM
Well I'm not. Keep Terry, Harris, Howard and Dirk. The rest is fair game.

Love your sig, Panda!
IMO, the reason the Mavs never get to the Finals is they keep tweaking the team every year.

Just let this team play together for a whole season next year, and see where they get. After the Suns get beat by the Spurs, you'll feel much better about losing Nash... he can't play defense, and despite opinions from feel good Suns fans, you do need defense to win Championships after all.

mavsfan1000
05-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I agree. Dallas needed to improve their defense. Nash was not the solution to this problem. Dampier wasn't as good as expected but busts happen. This team has an exciting future with players like Devin Harris, Marquis Daniels, and Josh Howard. Dirk will improve his low post game and hopefully Dampier gets in better shape for next year. Avery is making a mistake by not letting Harris and Daniels become a big part of this team. They have proven what their potential is.

atlfan25
05-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Mavs excited about the future Cuban said. ``I love our team.'' :lmao

mavsfan1000
05-28-2005, 12:13 AM
I think Dallas is a fun team to watch like Phoenix is but San Antonio has it all. Defense, interior prescence in Duncan, and slashers like Parker and Ginobili. To have a chance against San Antonio you have to have a unstoppable force like Shaq and you need great interior defense like what Seattle had.

Pandaemonaeon
05-28-2005, 12:59 AM
I thought Dampier was fantastic at anchoring our defense. When he's around, layup drills are fairly uncommon and he matches up well against back-to-the-basket big men. Unfortunately, he doesn't play that very long because he's either saddled by foul troubles leaving us with fucking Bradley which AJ isn't keen on, forcing him to play Dirk and KVH at the 4 and 5 (porous defense ahoy!) If we can get Cato or Ratliff, then we don't have to worry about our defense sagging if he goes to the bench.

Finley must go. The guy's a fucking deadweight! And because of him starting and eating up a lot of PT despite being a huge pile of shit, Marquis Daniels is getting left out of the cold and rotting in the doghouse.

All-in-all, I think this is a solid team that like you guys said, needs some time to gel. We know that they can put up a ton of points and if they feel like it, play suffocating D, but they do need to make the moves I mentioned above to get even better.

PS: Losing to Phoenix wasn't that bad. Dirk is very angry and said that he will work the whole off-season so that his offensive game would reach the point that it doesn't matter who guards him.

mavsfan1000
05-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Dampier was effective at stopping penetration from guards but can't guard Stoudemire. Mohammad or any athletic big man would have more success at guarding Stoudemire. Dampier would do well against Shaq but for Stoudemire/Duncan we need someone more athletic.

mavsfan1000
05-28-2005, 02:00 AM
I would prefer Dallas have this line-up next year
C Dampier/free agent
PF Nowitzki/free agent
SF Howard/Stackhouse
SG Daniels/Terry
PG Harris/Terry

ducks
05-28-2005, 08:56 AM
hwo can dallas get fa's
they have no money and they have no good contracts to trade
terry is a fa after this coming his contract is not bad
but why trade terry?

CHAMPS AGAIN
05-28-2005, 02:09 PM
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
May 21, 2005

DALLAS (AP) -- If Steve Nash wasn't such a big reason the Dallas Mavericks are out of the playoffs, it would be a lot easier for them to feel good about everything they accomplished this season.

Should have lost to the rocketts

``We have a good situation here, a good nucleus,'' Johnson said. ``I am raring to go for next October.''

Same story every year,can't wait till next year. :lol :lol

mavsfan1000
05-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Our time will come. We got the talent but need to show more intelligence in finishing close games. Avery with a whole year to emphasize his system will make us even better and expect a big year next year.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-28-2005, 03:30 PM
and you need great interior defense like what Seattle had.

Speaking of which, isn't like the whole Seattle team up for grabs?

You know who would help balance out Cuban's mouth don't you? Jerome James. Come on, you guys know you want him. :)

Pandaemonaeon
05-31-2005, 02:02 AM
hwo can dallas get fa's they have no money and they have no good contracts to trade

We have the MLE and some huge expiring contracts -- KVH has $14k and TAW's unguaranteed deal is $7.5k. Eschmeyer has a short contract too.

We also have a trade exception from the Terry deal (what's left of it at least) which can be useful in case we trade KVH for Ratliff and Miles :D

3rdCoast
05-31-2005, 04:59 AM
``I'm dying for training camp to start,'' Cuban said. ``I love our team.''

cuban says that every year....

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 10:07 AM
cuban says that every year....
I don't know about years past but this is a young team that has already found some success. Players like Howard, Harris, and Daniels are only going to get better along with Terry and Dirk.

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Speaking of which, isn't like the whole Seattle team up for grabs?

You know who would help balance out Cuban's mouth don't you? Jerome James. Come on, you guys know you want him. :)
I'll bet he will be a bust.

SPURS21
05-31-2005, 10:49 PM

WHY EXACTLY?

mavsfan1000
05-31-2005, 10:57 PM
WHY EXACTLY?
Harris 22, Daniels 24, Howard 25, Nowitzki 27, and Terry 28. That is why we have a good future.

Pandaemonaeon
06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Pavel 18, Mbenga 23.

Also, TAW's mindset confuses me. He bitches and moans about wanting to leave the Mavs (in his coke-induced attempts at speaking english on his website) and everytime Cuban tries to buy him out so he could leave, he budges. French :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Blockbuster offseason deal between the Mavs and Knicks.

Book it.

:drunk

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 09:47 PM
What trade would that be?

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Many players.

Much money.

Dubious results.

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I think Cuban is going to stick with this team unless we can get an athletic center.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah, they could try something stupid like a Dampier/Swift trade, Zeke is just so willing though....

mavsfan1000
06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Stackhouse for Wright.

ChumpDumper
06-02-2005, 10:46 PM
I have it on good authority Jerry West doesn't smoke crack.