PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson quotes..

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
In honor of the coach with the most rings in NBA history..a man that many consider to be the best coach of all-time..a legend that has taken 2 different franchises to amazing heights..I present some of Phil Jackson's greatest quotes:

Since the charges were made, Kobe has been treated remarkably well by the Lakers organization and the fans. He gave his press conference at Staples with our blessing, and we have agreed -- once we attained permission from the league to make sure the funds wouldn't be applied to the salary cap -- to cover a percentage of his private plane expenses to and from Colorado for court hearings. This will cost thousands of dollars. Kobe was unhappy with the type of plane that was selected; he wanted one with higher status.

"He popped off," Kobe said. I did not have to ask who "he" was.

"You're kidding me," I said. "What did he say?"

"Did you read the paper? It's in the paper," he said.

It was in the paper, all right, Shaq suggesting that for the Lakers to be successful this season, Kobe, who played in only two exhibition contests, needed to rely more on his teammates until he regained his full strength.

"Is this what you're talking about?" I asked Kobe.

"Yeah," he said.

"Kobe, what's wrong with this?" I said. "Shaq is right. This is exactly what we want you to do." ....

Kobe was the only player in the entire league who voted against the agreement because of the cap it put on salaries.

This was another example of the basic difference between him and Kobe. Ask Shaq to do something and he'll say: "No, I don't want to do that." But after a little pouting, he will do it. Ask Kobe, and he'll say, "okay," and then he will do whatever he wants. Against our instructions, Kobe did an interview with ESPN, vowing that if he were to leave the Lakers at the end of the season, it would be due to Shaq's "childlike selfishness and jealousy." So much for suppression.

"I won't coach this team next year if he is still here," I said emphatically. "He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

A few hours later, during dinner in Key Biscayne with the staff, Vitti told us that Kobe has been threatening again to opt out of his contract, vowing "to take Slava [Medvedenko] with me." Slava? Was this an indication of Kobe's being totally out of touch with reality? If Kobe was interested in taking along a player who would defer to him, Slava Medvedenko was the worst choice imaginable. He hasn't passed up a shot since November

"I don't know how we can forgive him," one anonymous teammate was quoted as saying in today's Times.

Today at practice, Kobe went from player to player, shoving the article with the anonymous quote in their faces. I have rarely seen him that incensed. "Did you say this?" he demanded of each player. Later, during a team gathering, he pursued the interrogation. "Right here and right now," he said, raising his voice, "I want to know who said this shit."

"Are you feeling like you're going to come back next year?" Jeanie asked me.

"Well, not if Kobe Bryant is on this team next year," I told her. "He's too complex a person. I don't need this."

"There's no doubt about that," he said. "I've done that for eight years with him, but I'm tired of [B]being a sidekick." His sentiment came as no surprise, obviously. In the last few years the entire city of Los Angeles has heard many times from many "sources" that Kobe was no longer willing to play a subservient role to Shaquille. But to hear it in the words of the only source that matters, to hear Kobe say "sidekick," really struck me. I told Kobe I hoped he would find happiness in basketball and in his life, and that his family would remain intact after everything that had transpired in the last year. The meeting was over.

“I was at a motel in Williston, North Dakota, when the call came from Mitch. “You’re not going to believe this,” he said, telling me about Kobe and the rape allegations in Colorado. Was I surprised? Yes, but not entirely. Kobe can be consumed with surprising anger, which he’s displayed toward me and toward his teammates.”

“From what I understand, the defining characteristic of Kobe’s childhood was his anger”

“Kobe’s defense, to be accurate, has faltered in recent years, despite his presence on the league’s all-defensive team. The voters have been seduced by his remarkable athleticism and spectacular steals, but he hasn’t played sound, fundamental defense. Mesmerized by the ball, he’s gambled too frequently, putting us out of position, forcing rotations that leave a man wide open, and doesn’t keep his feet on the ground.”

I sometimes think Kobe is so addicted to being in control that he would rather shoot the ball when guarded, or even double-teamed, than dish it to an open teammate.

These are just some of the many quotes from Phil Jackson's illustrious career, a true legend..there are plenty more..I just picked out some quotes randomly, no particular reason for picking these specific quotes..what do you guys think?..the GOAT coach obviously has a lot of credibility, and a lot to teach us common fans..

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Then Phil comes back, hat in hand, tail tucked, asking Kobe for a job.

TheMACHINE
10-19-2010, 12:11 AM
Then Phil comes back, hat in hand, tail tucked, asking Kobe for a job.

/thread

z0sa
10-19-2010, 12:12 AM
"There's no doubt about that," he said. "I've done that for eight years with him, but I'm tired of being a sidekick."

:lol

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Ya..it's kind of interesting that Kobe considered himself to be a sidekick, yet Laker fans don't:lol..

Those quotes about defense are interesting too..Phil Jackson is a double-digit champion, he knows about winning titles and playing D..

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
This thread isn't about Kobe, it's about Phil Jackson..raise the bar, please..

Use your brain for once, and discuss the topic at hand..Phil Jackson has led your team to 5 titles, discuss his quotes..

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
- "Uh, I need a job, Kobe.

- Phil

Quit Hatin'
10-19-2010, 12:16 AM
"I just got one more than Shaq. You can take that to the bank … You guys know how I am. I don’t forget anything.”
- Kobe

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 12:19 AM
- "Uh, I need a job, Kobe.

- Phil

- "Bring me a pair of Jeannie's or Kori's underwear."

- Kobe

cobbler
10-19-2010, 12:20 AM
... and forward to the next decade where:

"In those eight years that have ensued from that period, he's learned how to become a leader in a way in which people want to follow him, and I think that's really important for him to have learned that, because he knew that he had to give to get back in return. And so he's become a giver rather than just a guy that's a demanding leader, and that's been great for him and great to watch."

~Phil Jackson~

Come on HoBoy.... time to come down off that high horse. Your material is dated and tiresome. Very hypocritical of you...

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq115/cobblerphoto/high_horse.jpg

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2010, 12:22 AM
:lol comparing quotes from Phil Jackson WHILE he's coaching Kobe, to quotes from the only time he's free and allowed to be honest..are you serious?:lol..only Gobbler..his brain power often matches his leg power..

:lol bringing up random quotes, trying to compare them to quotes from the man that has watched and coached Kobe to more success than any other coach or teammate/the greatest coach of all time:lol

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 12:23 AM
ohh goodie...can I join in.....

"The ones that say, 'We don't care who we play,' they're full of baloney," Popovich said. "We're all trying to hide from Kobe in the first round and that's the truth.
"Really, it's like, 'Who do you want to play in the first round?,'" Popovich continued before sarcastically answering his question. "Oh, the Lakers! We'll play the Lakers!"

Greg Popovich

duncan228
10-19-2010, 12:26 AM
What can you say about Tim? He's the greatest power forward to ever play the game. Period.

-Kobe Doin' Work

cobbler
Yeah....cause people are so level headed after bring fired!!!!

Giuseppe
Phil came back beggin', Har, not Kobe.

Kobe ran Buss to ground and made him toe the f'in line.

Then Buss relented, said: "here, here motherf'ker, here's your gd Gasol, not put up, or, shut up!"

And Kobe put up, not once, but, twice....in-a-row!

midnightpulp
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Funny how Laker dumbasses will use NBA coaches' opinion as the ultimate authority, but when Phil Jackson, the person who has personally coached Kobe for over a decade and presumably knows him best, is critical, said opinion is without merit.

Even before I knew of the quote where Jackson criticizes Kobe's defense, everyone with a pair of eyes who doesn't drown themselves in Kobe's semen understood that Kobe is the most overrated defender in the league. He had a Nash like defensive rating one year and still made the all NBA second team.

And Rudy Fernandez bukkaked on Kobe in the 4th quarter of the Olympic final. Kobe was more concerned with grabbing the spotlight with his offense than guarding Rudy.

Very overrated defender.

milkshakeballa
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM
i c wat u did there harlem

DeadlyDynasty
10-19-2010, 12:28 AM
nf670orHKcA&feature=related

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 12:29 AM
-Kobe Doin' Work

I'm wrong for this...:lol that's it and that's all...nothing more

7YAEWrnOtrY

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2010, 12:32 AM
i c wat u did there harlem

What's up milky? Having fun out there in the real world?..

cobbler
10-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Funny how Laker dumbasses will use NBA coaches' opinion as the ultimate authority, but when Phil Jackson, the person who has personally coached Kobe for over a decade and presumably knows him best, is critical, said opinion is without merit.

So then I take it you acknowledge all PJ's praises since that time as well? Cause HoBoys quotes are from the years where PJ chose Shaq and later relented that he made a mistake doing so. Dr Buss righted that ship and PJ came crawling back. But hey, you haters keep living in the past... and us fans will just hop form parade to parade.

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 12:35 AM
and PJ came crawling back.

Crawling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midnightpulp
10-19-2010, 12:36 AM
So then I take it you acknowledge all PJ's praises since that time as well? Cause HoBoys quotes are from the years where PJ chose Shaq and later relented that he made a mistake doing so. Dr Buss righted that ship and PJ came crawling back. But hey, you haters keep living in the past... and us fans will just roll form parade to parade.

Fixed.

And show me the quote where Phil relented with regard to Kobe's defense?

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Love from the Glove:

Gary Payton, who played with Shaquille O’Neal and Dwyane Wade on the Miami team that won the 2006 NBA title, said the other day the pressure is on the Heat’s Big Three – not Fil-Am coach Erik Spoelstra – to prove they can deliver a championship to the franchise.

“The pressure is on Dwyane, LeBron (James) and Chris (Bosh) to show it was worth all the trouble of getting them together,” he said. “I’ve played with Dwyane and it’s no knock on him but if you compare him with Kobe (Bryant), there’s a big difference in their work ethic. I played with Kobe, too, and he’d be more from my era. Kobe knows how to be humble. If Kobe loses a game, you’ll see him the next day in the gym, working extra hard to make sure he’ll be better. I don’t know if that's the same with Dwyane. They’re both great players but Dwyane is more the "show" type. There are high expectations for the Heat. It’s up to the Big Three to show they deserve to be up there with the best.”

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Dwight Howard:

What it's like playing with Kobe?

Man you know, there were some games were, even though I was on the court, I just wanted to watch Kobe... you know, do his thing. It was just so much fun, watching him go to work.

And you know, he comes to practice everyday with the same mentaility and that is, to get better. You know, not just offensively, but defensively.

He's the last person to leave the gym, and he's always working on different moves, and different shots. Then he gets into the game, tries it, and it works!

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Deron Williams:

Deron Williams and Kobe Bryant are mutual admirers.

"I have a lot of respect for his game. He's one of the hardest workers I've ever seen," Williams said. "He's just a great competitor... just seeing how he works every day, it's inspiring."

Williams said he had always heard about Bryant's relentlessly competitive nature, but seeing it as a USA teammate offered a different perspective.

Williams saw a veteran player at the top of his game with an insatiable appetite to stay there. He noted that Bryant arrived a day before the rest of the USA team in Las Vegas to begin his routines in preparation for the games.

"Until you see it up close and personal, you never really know," Williams said. "Any time a guy was scoring on an opposing team, he wanted to guard him. He always wanted the toughest assignment. That's just his nature."

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Kevin Durant:

Some of the roots of what made Kevin Durant such an efficient scoring machine can be traced back to the summer of 2008 when he was trying to make the roster for Beijing and the team was given a day off in Las Vegas.

We'll let Durant pick up the story from there.

"We had the day off, but they said we could get some shots up if we wanted, so I decided to head over to the gym with [Oklahoma City teammate] Jeff Green.

"Kobe [Bryant] was the only guy on the bus to the gym, and that spoke volumes to me -- he's the best player in the game, yet he's always willing to come work on his game, so that kind of motivated me and Jeff," Durant said. "He went by himself, he got a lot of shots up, and by the time he was done you could see he had gotten better over that hour. Like I said, it was a big inspiration to me and Jeff."

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Sp*rs Robert Horry:

I tell people all the time I used to play with Kobe Bryant.

Kobe Bryant is probably one of the best basketball player you'll ever see outside of Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon.

The thing that makes Kobe so great, is that he's a hard worker.

And I hope the young kids would watch him and learn that you can't get anywhere unless you put in the work, the time, and the effort. And that's what Kobe does, he brings a lot of the time, and lot of the effort.

People don't know that, but he's always the 1st in the gym, and the last to leave, even though he is the best player in the game right now.

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:47 AM
USA Basketball:

But these 2008 Olympics have been the most remarkable three weeks of Kobe Bryant’s basketball life. He disdains the marketing “Redeem Team” title, calling it “kind of cheesy” because let’s face it: Those weren’t his international failures over the past eight years. Nike tried so hard to make LeBron James a co-star of these Games but failed miserably. He’s riding shotgun and doesn’t seem terribly thrilled about it. There’s no usurping Bryant in China.

Bryant has won the respect of his teammates, but he doesn’t run in the big cliques on the team. LeBron is the ringleader of the young players, and Kobe goes his own way. He’s won his teammates over with his ferocity, his insatiable need to win, but no one ever gets close to Bryant. He’s a loner, but he learned to lead. When all hell was breaking loose in the semifinal victory over Argentina, it was Bryant working with Jason Kidd to bring his teammates back from the brink of losing composure.

In the very first play of last summer's Tournament of the Americas, Bryant tipped the ball away from the Venezuela point guard, dived on the court trying to get it, got back up, stole the next pass and started a fastbreak. They've defended like banshees ever since.

"That's the clip Coach Mike Krzyzewski always uses, Kobe diving on the floor," says U.S. scout Tony Ronzone. "You're talking about an MVP player in the NBA who just made a statement to USA basketball... and what that did is it took our defense to another level."

"What you're seeing is something that started last summer in Las Vegas, which is amazing."

cobbler
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Fixed.

And show me the quote where Phil relented with regard to Kobe's defense?

Learn to read. I said PJ relented that he chose Shaq early on. I said nothing about defense.

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
These posts about Kobe are from his peers. I got more quotes in case HarlemHo wants to keep digging up shit from the past that no longer applies. :toast

midnightpulp
10-19-2010, 12:58 AM
Learn to read. I said PJ relented that he chose Shaq early on. I said nothing about defense.

But that had nothing to do with my specific focus on Jackson's quote about Kobe's defense.

You were trying to imply that the quote is invalidated because Phil relented about choosing Shaq over Kobe, and that I should automatically acknowledge Phil Jackson's praises if I'm going to acknowledge his criticisms.

But his recent praises (to my knowledge) don't say anything about Kobe's defense. He's saying that Kobe has matured a lot, which I actually agree with. I think Kobe is a much better basketball player today, even with his declining athleticism, than he ever was during the 3 peat.

Medvedenko
10-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Great thread. Bar raised, indeed.

ezau
10-19-2010, 02:05 AM
"There's no doubt about that," he said. "I've done that for eight years with him, but I'm tired of being a sidekick."

Kobe knows that he's been Robin all along. :lmao:lmao

ezau
10-19-2010, 02:08 AM
-Kobe Doin' Work

tee, hee

namlook
10-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Add this one to the list.

Phil Jackson 2008 radio interview:

Question: "I understand you agree with Mychal Thompson that Kobe has better basketball skills than Michael Jordan. Do you agree with that?"

Phil: "He does."

..the GOAT coach obviously has a lot of credibility, and a lot to teach us common fans..

Indeed. (See above)

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Add this one to the list.

Phil Jackson 2008 radio interview:

Question: "I understand you agree with Mychal Thompson that Kobe has better basketball skills than Michael Jordan. Do you agree with that?"

Phil: "He does."

Indeed. (See above)

SPz-G9bGuZk

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Eating his own vomit, I might add.

& Bryant was magnanimous and granted grace in allowing Jackson to come back without brow beating him, or, giving him a red ass with a "I told you so you." He let Jackson come back, be with his girlfriend, pick up where he left off. Same thing with Buss:::Kobe ran him to ground, held him to accounts for Parker, et al. Yes, Kobe made him walk over the proverbial hot coals, do some penance, but, it was for Buss'/Lakers, our own good, and Bryant knew it.

I............we, we, we, we don't need Media to lead us by the nose to it. 15 & 16 are a direct result of Bryant's influence, his rabid insistence that the Lakers live up to their promise, their heritage. Bryant's ranting & raving in the public square is no different than Magic's behavior a quarter century prior when he struck the template by high tech lynching Westhead & running Nixon off, dragging Jabbar, Buss and the Lakers kicking & screaming into the light from a past of misery & denial.

Kobe Bryant

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 06:56 AM
leme add a few more here:

Dime: Kobe is the one guy people never seem to be able to completely figure out. What was your experience like with him?

Coach K: With Kobe, it wasn’t just in Beijing. I remember the very first day, he came early and (assistant coach) Johnny Dawkins went to go work him out just before eight in the morning. We had a coaches meeting at 10:30 and Johnny never showed. Then our coaches meeting is over and it’s noon, we break the meeting and I finally see Johnny. I ask him, “What happened?” And he said, “Coach he just worked out for four hours and he could’ve worked out for four more hours. He didn’t take breaks. I haven’t seen anything like it.”

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 06:57 AM
and another:

Dime: How different is it working with the best pro basketball players in the world as opposed to some of the best players in college basketball?

Coach K: About four years ago, I was almost the coach of the Lakers. I was really close to taking that job. So a part of me was quite excited about the opportunity to coach Kobe again. I’ve known him since he was about 18 years old. We recruited him to Duke University, and now I was getting the chance to finally do so. During one of our meetings before we really got into the flow in Beijing, he stopped me and said, “Coach.” Then he gave one of those long Kobe stares and said, “I want to guard the best player on the perimeter of every team we play.” He stopped. And then said, “And I will destroy them.”

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
and another:

Dime: Was he that serious on the practice court, too?

Coach K: Our first practice together, Kobe went through the entire time without taking a shot. This was a guy who had just scored 50 points about 10 times during the season, and he didn’t take a single shot when everyone played together. I think that he just wanted to prove to everyone that he would do whatever he needed to for the team.

Dime: Could you get a feel for just how much this meant to Kobe?

Coach K : Kobe comes to his uniform, it’s laying out on a chair. Before he touches the jersey with his name, number and “USA” on it, he just stands there. As he’s standing there he starts crying. You wouldn’t ever think of him crying. The guy who’s helping with the equipment asked Kobe, “What’s wrong?” He said, “You don’t understand. I’ve always dreamed of playing for my country. I’ve always dreamed of putting a ‘USA’ uniform on.” You look at these guys like superstars, but they’re people just like yourself. You can’t accept that when they’re scoring 50 points. But they have dreams, they work hard.

LkrFan
10-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Good stuff Kool. LeHype cried twice. Once when him and DWhistle won Bronze and another when Kobe won them Gold.

:lmao

Koolaid_Man
10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Good stuff Kool. LeHype cried twice. Once when him and DWhistle won Bronze and another when Kobe won them Gold.

:lmao

say man..check this shit out...Kobe shuts down, the Mavs, battles Artest in the post, and completely skull fucks both Wade and Lebron on the defensive end in this vid...it's fucking brutal man...but I gotta keep bringing these Laker Nation goods...I know these Ho's gonna hate me for this one...save this one playa...:lmao

TBH this is pretty embarassing for Wade and Bron...Kobe manhandled them niggas:

QBu28UwDzps

ElNono
10-19-2010, 07:55 AM
"Me sucky sucky. Me so horny. Me love you long time"
- Giuseppe

Giuseppe
10-19-2010, 08:07 AM
You got skunked, by the Suns, sonny.

ha, ha.

midnightpulp
10-19-2010, 08:18 AM
leme add a few more here:

Dime: Kobe is the one guy people never seem to be able to completely figure out. What was your experience like with him?

Coach K: With Kobe, it wasn’t just in Beijing. I remember the very first day, he came early and (assistant coach) Johnny Dawkins went to go work him out just before eight in the morning. We had a coaches meeting at 10:30 and Johnny never showed. Then our coaches meeting is over and it’s noon, we break the meeting and I finally see Johnny. I ask him, “What happened?” And he said, “Coach he just worked out for four hours and he could’ve worked out for four more hours. He didn’t take breaks. I haven’t seen anything like it.”

Maybe if he didn't overwork himself so much, he would've had enough strength to find the rim against Angola and not shoot 30%.

Oh, and let's get back to "points is where it's at." Both Lebron and Wade outscored Kobe for the tournament, and curbstombed his pathetic 46% shooting with respective marks of 75% and 67%. Yet Kobe was the best player on team? :lol

Let's see if your small brained dumb ass can be logically consistent. Considering your "points is where it's at" philosophy, do you concede that Lebron and Wade both played better than Kobe in the Olympics?

ElNono
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
You got skunked, by the Suns

That we have...

namlook
10-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Funny how this thread died after it got worked over.

10-20-2010, 04:09 AM
damn, kobe's career would have taken the tmac/vince carter/allen iverson route if he was never gifted gasol. strange how one collusion trade can change someone's legacy so dramatically.

ezau
10-20-2010, 04:21 AM
You got skunked, by the Suns, sonny.

ha, ha.

You got skunked by the Viets. You love them long time

ezau
10-20-2010, 04:22 AM
damn, kobe's career would have taken the tmac/vince carter/allen iverson route if he was never gifted gasol. strange how one collusion trade can change someone's legacy so dramatically.

Exactly. Luckiest bastard of all time. Greatest Robin of our era.

Venti Quattro
10-20-2010, 05:24 AM
lol thread backfire

HarlemHeat37
10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Laker fans never understand the concept of any thread, so it's not surprising that they couldn't follow the OP, see: shortest NBA books thread..

It's also funny how they can't contribute in a Phil Jackson appreciation thread when Kobe is involved in a negative light..as usual..

Giuseppe
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Exactly. Luckiest bastard of all time.

Though climbin' up & down Buss's ass, makin' him live up to Bryant's destiny was the seminal moment of Bryant's life. Well, the seminal moment after hiring that jyd attorney and turnin' her loose in an Eagle courtroom.

Venti Quattro
02-08-2011, 03:11 AM
bump

Jackson offered words of acceptance for Gasol's "white swan" ways, knowing that his play will sometimes leave the Lakers feeling unfulfilled, but never embarrassed."He is who he is," Jackson said. "We're not going to make him into [Kevin] Garnett. He's not going to go around punching guys in the balls. He's too nice of a guy."

Phil Jackson on Zach Randolph: 'He's actually 6-11 but God decided not to bless him with a neck'

:lmao :lmao :lmao the Zen Master trolling :lmao :lmao :lmao

Seventyniner
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I feel kinda sorry for Kobe; when he retires, he'll have nothing left. It's obvious that basketball is #1 in his life, and everything else is a distant, light-years-away second. When he's 47 years old, he won't care about how many championships he won or how many points he scored, but only that he's not in the NBA anymore and never will be again. That's going to consume him, and no amount of being a coach, owner, or other front-office type will ever fill that void.