PDA

View Full Version : Johnson won't play in Game 1 against Spurs

ducks
05-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Sports Update
Johnson won't play in Game 1 against Spurs
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune
Joe Johnson will sit out Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals on Sunday vs. the San Antonio Spurs, the Suns announced Saturday.
While Johnson "has been cleared to resume normal basketball activities, we have not given him clearance to play in an NBA game," Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

Johnson is awaiting adjustments to the mask he will wear when he returns, the Suns said.

No decision has been made on Johnson's status for Game 2 on Tuesday.source (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=41765)

timvp
05-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Spurs need to use this to go one up. This makes matching up with the Spurs much more difficult for the Suns.

xcoriate
05-21-2005, 09:21 PM
This is a gift we have to take advantage.

ducks
05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
taking game one would put all the pressure on suns
they have the homecourt

T Park
05-21-2005, 09:37 PM
any little bit helps.

NOW ATTACK SPURS!!!!

mookie2001
05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
awwww
get well soon

sorry senor Johnson

Brutalis
05-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Joe grew up about 3 miles away from me here in Arkansas.

He is seriously a great player if he would not get shook and lack confidense. But there is one major flaw about him I will confess,

THE BOY IS SOFT. And cannot shoot under pressure.

We went 2-1 vrs PHO during season and lost by 6 without Duncan. -fyi

ALVAREZ6
05-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I really want to win game 1, gain some confidence, especially since Johnson isn't playing, it just takes away a shooter from PHX. If the Spurs do not steal a win on the road in game 1 or 2, I don't think they will win the series.

Sense
05-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Is this really any relief?

Jim Jackson to me is considered to be a more all around player than Johnson..as far as I know Johnson never did anything or contributed to any of the effort the Suns had against the Spurs. I do think Jim Jackson is underrated for that fact, the only reason I would never see Jim in the starting line up would be because he wasnt with the team since the begginning of the season.

I think Jim Jackson > Joe Johnson...

Atleast against the Spurs... and I guess all around.

Mr Dio
05-21-2005, 11:30 PM
So do the Spurs try & run w/Phoenix the entire game w/the deep bench or clamp down on the D at several key areas of the game?

SirChaz
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM
So do the Spurs try & run w/Phoenix the entire game w/the deep bench or clamp down on the D at several key areas of the game?

I think it would be a mistake for SA to run with Phoenix, even with a deeper bench. Usually other teams are not used to running for 4 quarters like the Suns. They keep it up for 3 quarters and then the shots start falling short and the Suns still have energy.

The bench is essential to have in case of foul trouble or injury but putting the Spurs bench against the Suns starters will not win the game or wear the Suns out over 48 minutes. The days off and long timeouts in the playoffs favor a shorter rotation anyway.

The Suns will struggle against the Spurs without Johnson. Maybe not in game one but the Suns rely on all five starters to be at thier best.

orhe
05-21-2005, 11:52 PM
we don't need more guys to run :)
we only need tp and manu to actually run with phoenix and let the other 3 guys stay to defend

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 12:41 AM
We went 2-1 vrs PHO during season and lost by 6 without Duncan. -fyi

And were down by 17 going into the 4th of game two WITH Duncan. The season is new and both teams are different.

T Park
05-22-2005, 12:54 AM
think Jim Jackson > Joe Johnson

yikes.

Uh no not even close.

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 01:14 AM
yikes.

Uh no not even close.

Dallas probably thought so after the 4th quarter of game five.

SirChaz
05-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Dallas probably thought so after the 4th quarter of game five.

If Johnson was healthy it probably would have ended in five.

I don't think the Suns lose game 2 with Joe Johnson playing.

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 11:39 AM
If Johnson was healthy it probably would have ended in five.

I don't think the Suns lose game 2 with Joe Johnson playing.

Yep, but sometimes you have to play with the dice God gives you.

LilMissSPURfect
05-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Johnson may sit out first two contests

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0522sunsnb22.html

boutons
05-22-2005, 12:12 PM
JJ absence is a non-factor.

Jim Jackson had a great series against Mavs, esp the latter games. He got points driving and hustling and rebounding that I've never seen from JJ camping out on the 3 pt line.

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 12:35 PM
JJ absence is a non-factor.

Jim Jackson had a great series against Mavs, esp the latter games. He got points driving and hustling and rebounding that I've never seen from JJ camping out on the 3 pt line.

D'Antoni also mixed it up by having Jackson play the point with Nash on the bench and moving Barbosa to the two guard. Terry couldn't stop Jackson from penetrating.

SirChaz
05-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Yep, but sometimes you have to play with the dice God gives you.

Absolutely, and thank goodness for Jim Jackson.

I can't imagine if they still had Jacobsen. :shudder:

AZLouis
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
JJ's absence is a non factor? He was the 3rd leading scorer on the team and is a deadly 3 point shooter. As good as Jim Jackson has been in his place it is NOT a non factor.

JJ is much better than Jim Jackson. If JJax was there at the beginning he would have still come off of the bench. JJ is a future all star and will be good for years to come. He can defend both on and off the ball. Rebound and create on the court.

Not to mention JJ logged the most minutes per game on the team during the season.

Click here for his stats http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3520 That should change your mind about him being a non factor.

Catharsis what's up.