PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Richard Jefferson close to solving offensive problems

duncan228
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Richard Jefferson close to solving offensive problems (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Andrew A. McNeill
48 Minutes of Hell

AT&T CENTER — Richard Jefferson no longer looks unsure on this San Antonio Spurs team. Every step and every dribble oozes with intent. Every head fake and dribble has a purpose. When his body moves, it knows exactly why it’s doing what it is. Everything appears in sync.

Looking a the box scores, though, and you wouldn’t believe it. 2-9 from the field and eight points at Houston in the first preseason game (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/08/spurs-fall-to-rockets-in-preseason/). 3 for 7 and 11 points a couple of nights later against the Heat (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/09/preseason-san-antonio-spurs-90-miami-heat-73/). 2-7 for five points against the Clippers in Mexico City (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/12/san-antonio-spurs-los-angeles-clippes-preseason-mexico-city/). 2-3 and six points against Caja Laboral on Saturday night (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/16/preseason-san-antonio-spurs-caja-laboral/). And 3-8 for 12 points on Monday night against the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/19/richard-jefferson-getting-comfortable-in-san-antonio-spurs-offense/#more-10279)

Ryvin1
10-19-2010, 04:35 PM
great comment on the article -
bduran
October 19th, 2010 at 5:52 am
Despite not having a great FG% this season, his TS % is 55.8. This is just below his career average and higher than the last two regular seasons. This is thanks to his new found aggressiveness. For his career he’s taken .47 FTs for ever FGA. Last year this was down to .37. So far this preseason he’s at .64. If he can keep that up he’ll be reasonably efficient even without a better FG%. If his shot starts falling, well, look out.

Read more: http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/10/19/richard-jefferson-getting-comfortable-in-san-antonio-spurs-offense/#more-10279#ixzz12qKMzox7

DesignatedT
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Hes not going to ever be a perfect fit. People need to realize this. If he can stay aggressive, improve his defense and 3 pt % and make smart plays than that's all we need from him. Like mentioned above his FTA per game is a result of him being more aggressive and more comfortable. I doubt his average gets above 14ppg this year which is fine as long as he does those things I mentioned well.

Hes not Bowen and noone will ever be. Bruce was a perfect fit around a prime Tony, Manu and Tim. He wouldn't be anywhere near a perfect fit with those guys all losing a step.

mudyez
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Hes not going to ever be a perfect fit. People need to realize this. If he can stay aggressive, improve his defense and 3 pt % and make smart plays than that's all we need from him. Like mentioned above his FTA per game is a result of him being more aggressive and more comfortable. I doubt his average gets above 14ppg this year which is fine as long as he does those things I mentioned well.

Hes not Bowen and noone will ever be. Bruce was a perfect fit around a prime Tony, Manu and Tim. He wouldn't be anywhere near a perfect fit with those guys all losing a step.

regarding the perfect fits: bowen+ either one of horry, robinson or willis where perfect (and thomas could have been one more)

Fabbs
10-19-2010, 06:00 PM
by Andrew A. McNeill
Is he dating RJ?

PollyAnna Poppers can you let us know?

GSH
10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
There's nothing about RJ's talent, athleticism, or his past record to indicate that he couldn't put up 15 a night for the Spurs. Everybody knew he wasn't a perfect fit when we signed him. And it's not like he's the first player to ever be a less-than-perfect fit here, or to have a hard time adjusting in his first season with the Spurs.

And you're exactly right, Ryvin1 - if he can get back to being aggressive and getting more FTA's it will make a huge difference in his production. And some of those fouls are going to be near the basket, from opposing bigs. That's fewer fouls they can burn collapsing on Tim. I like the fact that Pop has told him that if the defender is off-balance when he catches the pass, it's "to the rim or bust". Hopefully that will be an added dimension to our offense.

The one thing I would like to have heard is what Derek Fisher said in a recent interview: "I am hungrier than ever to get the ring." I appreciate that he is learning where to be on the court, etc. But I really want to hear a guy who wants and expects to win it all. Without that kind of fire from the team, we're playoff fodder, no matter what RJ learns or does.

Chomag
10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
What Games was this reporter watching?

Fabbs
10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Why is it Nazr 'Mo and Brent Barrdawg both played extensively on the floor at the same time in the 2005 playoff Championship run, yet for both it was their 1st year as a Spur? Nazr only played the last 23 reg season games as he came over midseason.

All the bull about *it takes time to fit into Pops system*. As if that wasn't discussed before the dumbassed trade and even stoopider extension?

benefactor
10-19-2010, 06:47 PM
The one thing I would like to have heard is what Derek Fisher said in a recent interview: "I am hungrier than ever to get the ring." I appreciate that he is learning where to be on the court, etc. But I really want to hear a guy who wants and expects to win it all. Without that kind of fire from the team, we're playoff fodder, no matter what RJ learns or does.
Bingo. This team talks about wanting to make noise but no one is really buying it because it seems empty. It sucks that Manu has to carry the sole responsibility of lighting a fire under the ass of this team when they get stuck in their ho-hum ways. Besides the lack of a good perimeter defender, this is the other big reason that this team does no play well defensively. There is no urgency on that end of the floor. Fire=urgency=defensive intensity. Even without a solid perimeter defender this team could conceivably compete with the best...if they actually played like they really want that ring.

DesignatedT
10-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Bingo. This team talks about wanting to make noise but no one is really buying it because it seems empty. It sucks that Manu has to carry the sole responsibility of lighting a fire under the ass of this team when they get stuck in their ho-hum ways. Besides the lack of a good perimeter defender, this is the other big reason that this team does no play well defensively. There is no urgency on that end of the floor. Fire=urgency=defensive intensity. Even without a solid perimeter defender this team could conceivably compete with the best...if they actually played like they really want that ring.

FWIW Tony seems very hungry, a lot more this year than in years past and with a contract on the line he is going to be playing balls to the walls which should rub off a lot of the newer guys.

benefactor
10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
FWIW Tony seems very hungry, a lot more this year than in years past and with a contract on the line he is going to be playing balls to the walls which should rub off a lot of the newer guys.
I hope so. The Spurs can no longer afford to be a one man show emotionally. Everyone has to step up the intensity in order for this team to compete.

DesignatedT
10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I hope so. The Spurs can no longer afford to be a one man show emotionally. Everyone has to step up the intensity in order for this team to compete.

its true and everything points in the direction of it happening. For example, Tony, Manu and Tim approaching Pop this offseason and asking him to take the regular season more seriously and jump out to a good start. Also, I understand it is going to take time to get the playoff rotations set and all that but I don't want constant shuffling around with the lineups this year.

The Truth #6
10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
There will probably be some shuffling with the wings I would imagine. I don't see Manu staying in the starting lineup forever. If Anderson improves after a few months I could see him taking Manu's place. Then again...RJ and Blair play best with Manu so maybe this makes sense overall. Tony pushes the pace for one man fastbreaks. Manu helps lead the halfcourt offense with his playmaking and keeping RJ and Blair involved.

GSH
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
IMO, Jefferson would have been a perfect guy for the emotion role. He's at the right point in his career. He's been to the finals twice, and come away empty. He should have come in talking about being hungry, and playing like he meant it. It's not that the other guys can't do the same, but he could send a different message than a guy who's never been there, or guys who have a handfull of rings.

Two or three extra "hustle plays" per game could easily make the difference between another 7 seed, and a division championship with home court advantage. Those kinds of plays usually come from the guys who really, rally want it. To me, that's the real question about RJ - does he want it enough to get in there and dig, night after night? Or does he want to learn to fit in, and grow as a person?

I'm just saying that after last year, the expectations for him are fairly low. If he showed up with the intensity of a guy who worked all summer, and is willing to do anything for another shot at a ring? He could make a real difference to this team. Without that, he could up his production to 15 and 4 and still not change the final results very much.

Dex
10-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Whatever McNeill has been smoking, he needs to pass it this way.

The Truth #6
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
its true and everything points in the direction of it happening. For example, Tony, Manu and Tim approaching Pop this offseason and asking him to take the regular season more seriously and jump out to a good start. Also, I understand it is going to take time to get the playoff rotations set and all that but I don't want constant shuffling around with the lineups this year.

In other words, "Pop, quit experimenting with lineups you know you'll never use in the playoffs and that are guaranteed to fail."

TJastal
10-20-2010, 06:21 AM
In other words, "Pop, quit experimenting with lineups you know you'll never use in the playoffs and that are guaranteed to fail."

Pop has become worse than a crack addict when it comes to experimentation with stupid lineups, especially the small ball variety.