PDA

View Full Version : Univision Accepts $80,000 to Air GOP Group’s Ads that Tell Latinos Not to Vote

boutons_deux
10-19-2010, 02:02 PM
Yesterday, Latinos for Reform — a Republican 527 group — announced that it purchased an $80,000 buy on Univision to air ads urging Nevada Latino voters not to vote. Robert Desposada, a conservative political consultant and political analyst for Univision, has described the ad as an expression of the Latino community’s frustration with the lack of immigration reform. Apparently, telling Latino voters not to vote will somehow empower them. “It’s the only way for Hispanics to stand up and demand some attention,” Desposada claims.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/19/univision-accepts-80000-to-air-gop-group%E2%80%99s-ads-that-tell-latinos-not-to-vote/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=alternet#

Repugs, democracy's best friend.

hater
10-19-2010, 02:16 PM
80,000???

what is that? like the 3am commercial spot?

too bad latinos sleep at that time cause they gotta wake up early in the morning for work.

MannyIsGod
10-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Incredible.

jack sommerset
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Smart move

jack sommerset
10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Should have bought a bunch of billboards telling them not to vote. I hear that is where you can really get your message across to people plus lots of latinos sleep under them.

DarrinS
10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Eighty THOUSAND dollars!

BWAAA HAA HAA HA HA HA

I wonder if Latinos for Reform are racists against Latinos.

http://charmingmiamihomes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/dr_evil.png

boutons_deux
10-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Univision Changes its Tune, Will Not Air GOP Ad Telling Latinos Not To Vote

Article printed from speakeasy: http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy

Earlier today, ThinkProgress reported that Latinos for Reform — a Republican 527 group — purchased an $80,000 buy on Univision to air ads urging Nevada Latino voters not to vote. We urged Univision not to air the ads. The network, which heads the non-partisan Latino civic participation campaign, Ya Es Hora, has decided to do the right thing and not broadcast the ads. A Univision spokesperson told ThinkProgress:

Univision will not be running any spots from Latinos for Reform related to voting. It is also important to clarify that while Mr. Robert de Posada has on occasion provided political commentary on Univision, representing one of various points of views, he is not in any way affiliated with Univision. Univision prides itself on promoting civic engagement and our extensive national campaigns encourage Hispanics to vote.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/19/univision-changes-its-tune-will-not-air-gop-ad-telling-latinos-not-to-vote/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=alternet#

:lol

Wild Cobra
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Yep, the media censers all the time.

Nothing new here, liberal bias always in the media.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
80,000???

what is that? like the 3am commercial spot?

too bad latinos sleep at that time cause they gotta wake up early in the morning for work.Airtime for political commercials is not that expensive due to campaign laws.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Yep, the media censers all the time.I'm not surprised you don't know the meaning of the word, much less how to spell it.

DarkReign
10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Airtime for political commercials is not that expensive due to campaign laws.

That I did not know. Not calling your bluff, but I am genuinely interested in getting the details. Have a link, per chance?

Spurminator
10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
That I did not know. Not calling your bluff, but I am genuinely interested in getting the details. Have a link, per chance?

I don't have a link but I work in marketing and he's right. It's a little annoying too, since companies paying a higher cost for TV spots can be bumped for lower cost campaign ads.

$80K isn't chump change for a two week Hispanic campaign, even on a national network.

101A
10-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Let them waste their money.

Unless Latinos are that fucking stupid and easy to manipulate. And if they are? Then we need to have a SERIOUS discussion about why we are a Democracy in the first place.

Seriously, if people are that dumb, ignorant, whatever you want to call it = why do they, of any ilk, leaning, race, creed, whatever, have a say in how this very big, powerful, rich nation is run?

If the DNC ran ads urging White Males not to vote - would anybody get up in arms? Would anyone think for a moment that it was going to affect White Male voter turnout?

Why not?

What's the difference?

I don't think there is one - obviously some people think otherwise - and they look to me at first blush, to lean left.

Fucking racists.

panic giraffe
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Should have bought a bunch of billboards telling them not to vote. I hear that is where you can really get your message across to people plus lots of latinos sleep under them.

nah, white people are the ones in NV sleeping under them, latinos are the ones painting over them.

panic giraffe
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Yep, the media censers all the time.

Nothing new here, liberal bias always in the media.

haha liberal bias? what do you have against the rights of an individual corporation to choose what it does/doesn't do for revenue. you fucking commie.

oh wait where were you when there were groups wanting to run anti-beck ads during his program and fox shot them down?

i guess democracy is a one way street for you?

MannyIsGod
10-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Let them waste their money.

Unless Latinos are that fucking stupid and easy to manipulate. And if they are? Then we need to have a SERIOUS discussion about why we are a Democracy in the first place.

Seriously, if people are that dumb, ignorant, whatever you want to call it = why do they, of any ilk, leaning, race, creed, whatever, have a say in how this very big, powerful, rich nation is run?

If the DNC ran ads urging White Males not to vote - would anybody get up in arms? Would anyone think for a moment that it was going to affect White Male voter turnout?

Why not?

What's the difference?

I don't think there is one - obviously some people think otherwise - and they look to me at first blush, to lean left.

Fucking racists.

I'd be upset if the DNC did that. Advocating people not to vote is wrong, in my opinion. I don't think there should be a law against it, but I think people should be upset when it happens and make their feelings known the the companies allowing it to happen.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-20-2010, 05:02 PM
haha liberal bias? what do you have against the rights of an individual corporation to choose what it does/doesn't do for revenue. you fucking commie.

oh wait where were you when there were groups wanting to run anti-beck ads during his program and fox shot them down?

i guess democracy is a one way street for you?

Hes just a GOP sophist and not a very good one. Oh and he changes parts on the side.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't have a link but I work in marketing and he's right. It's a little annoying too, since companies paying a higher cost for TV spots can be bumped for lower cost campaign ads.

$80K isn't chump change for a two week Hispanic campaign, even on a national network.In a bit of a hurry. This is the first link I found; don't think anything has changed in the past six years.

Federal rules require television stations to sell advertising time to political candidates at the lowest rate a customer has negotiated for a commercial in the same time slot and under similar terms.

http://www.allbusiness.com/marketing-advertising/advertising-television-advertising/1168050-1.html

Wild Cobra
10-20-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd be upset if the DNC did that. Advocating people not to vote is wrong, in my opinion. I don't think there should be a law against it, but I think people should be upset when it happens and make their feelings known the the companies allowing it to happen.
Well, I bet there is more to the story. I would think the emphasis should have been to vote for someone that supports the Latino community values. You know, Catholicism, ethics, etc. Maybe since the republicans lost their way so long ago, that means "none of the above" like Monty Brewster would say.

Parker2112
10-20-2010, 07:43 PM
actually, if this sort of tactic worked, it would be voter's fault. Especially in this day and age. And the sad part: in this day and age especially, I could see it working!

lol. sob-sob.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Well, they say it's a GOP group? I don't know how they figure. Did a small amount of digging, came up with this:

English version:

QKFAiMbm1Fc

Original spanish version:

YP7_JMtPMRM

from their site (http://latinosforreform.com/):

Latinos, Don’t be Taken for Granted.
This November, DON’T VOTE.

It’s an election year, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised to hear promises about immigration reform. What is surprising, however, is that these politicians really believe that they can continue to make these promises during every campaign season without delivering on them – and that we continue to allow it.

During the 2008 elections, President Obama and the Democratic leadership made a commitment that immigration reform would be passed within a year. Convinced by these promises, Latinos voted for the Democratic presidential and Congressional ticket in droves. Two years later, these lawmakers have not only failed to deliver on this promise; they intentionally undermined even the smallest of reform efforts.

Senate Democrats were successful in their efforts to sabotage Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR) by tying the DREAM Act to “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” in the Senate. Rather than present a stand-alone bill, Senate Democrats used a procedural vote that they knew would be defeated. That now allows the Democrats to hide behind “Republican opposition” as an excuse to avoid CIR while allowing them to continue to demagogue the immigration issue. Once again Democrats tried to pull the wool over our eyes.

One has to wonder: Why do the same lawmakers who decided to “go it alone” on health care reform and the economic stimulus refuse to do the same on comprehensive immigration reform? Why do these lawmakers believe that they can simply blame a lack of bipartisan support for not passing CIR when they have not needed bipartisan support to pass their other political priorities? Do these lawmakers really believe that their “key” voting block for the upcoming elections will support them without taking action?

Clearly, we have been betrayed by the democratic leadership. And now, when they need our votes, they are at it again with more empty promises. We need to be asking ourselves: Are we tired of politicians playing games with our future? Do we really think it will be different this time? Do we want Congress’ attention and respect on the issue that many of us care about the most? How many times will we sit idly by and allow this to happen? If we have any chance of making our voice heard, then we must be willing to take dramatic action.

Democratic leaders had two years to push for comprehensive immigration. It turned out that their efforts were scant: all talk and no action. The saddest part of all is that we are acting like we have no choice but to continue supporting the same politicians that will continue to tell us what we want to hear during campaign season and then ignore us once they are in office. But we do have a choice.

This November we can send a message to all politicians: If they didn’t keep their promise on immigration reform, then they can’t count on our vote.

If we just go on supporting them again this November after their betrayal, they will keep playing games with our future and taking our vote for granted. If our votes really matter to them, then we must teach them that they will have to deliver on their promises. We will no longer support them if they are going to ignore us once they get our votes.

When you cast your vote for Governor, Mayor, school board, etc., be counted – but do not vote for Congress this November. This is the only way to make sure they understand that we will no longer vote for them when we get nothing in return.

You have heard the old idiom: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Now is the time for Latinos to decide what role they will play in America’s future and what we want politically. If we sit idly by and vote for the same lawmakers that ignore us once in office, we will just get more of the same. If, however, we don’t vote for these politicians, then we will command the attention and respect of both sides of the aisle.

This is the only way to make them stop taking us for granted.

Funny thing is, I don't know any legal Latinos who want their criminal fellow countrymen to get special rights, when they came here legally. If they are illegal, they are breaking the law in voting anyway.

Spurminator
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, they say it's a GOP group? I don't know how they figure.

It's run by the former Director of Hispanic Affairs for the RNC.

You should have done more digging.

Spurminator
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyway, Univision announced yesterday that they are no longer running the ads.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyway, Univision announced yesterday that they are no longer running the ads.
Yes, see post #7.

Wild Cobra
10-20-2010, 08:49 PM
It's run by the former Director of Hispanic Affairs for the RNC.

You should have done more digging.
So... former automatically means the affiliation hasn't changed?

Who knows, maybe it is the same.

Like I suggested earlier. Traditional legal Hispanics are more conservative than liberal. Catholicism and more traditional ethics.

FuzzyLumpkins
10-20-2010, 10:44 PM
So... former automatically means the affiliation hasn't changed?

Who knows, maybe it is the same.

Like I suggested earlier. Traditional legal Hispanics are more conservative than liberal. Catholicism and more traditional ethics.

Catholics are not noted for voting GOP, dipshit. Then you try and spin him working for the RNC does not mean that he still has ties after doing this shit.

I wonder if you truly are this dumb? I did not think it was possible. Here is to hoping you are a troll for the sake of us all.

:toast

ElNono
10-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Funny thing is, I don't know any legal Latinos who want their criminal fellow countrymen to get special rights, when they came here legally. If they are illegal, they are breaking the law in voting anyway.

You obviously have zero clue about US immigration law, and why a person that came here legally might want changes on immigration policy that might be currently preventing them from, say, reuniting with their children or family.

Your post smells of complete superficiality, and unfortunately there's a lot of that going on with people that have an opinion based on bias instead of hard facts. Par for the course, really.

Wild Cobra
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
You obviously have zero clue about US immigration law, and why a person that came here legally might want changes on immigration policy that might be currently preventing them from, say, reuniting with their children or family.

Your post smells of complete superficiality, and unfortunately there's a lot of that going on with people that have an opinion based on bias instead of hard facts. Par for the course, really.
I do know that there are ways to make such reunions easier. Thing is, allowing that to be in essence, a right, would lead to too large a influx also. Everyone is related somehow.

Yes, I am hard on some topics. I think we need to make the process easier, but I am not in favor of any policies that will increase legal immigration until policies are in place that will virtually eliminate illegal immigration. I have always been consistent on that point. I am absolutely against any policy that I think will increase illegal immigration.