PDA

View Full Version : Dime Mag: Ray Allen or Manu Ginobili

TMTTRIO
10-20-2010, 04:49 PM
http://dimemag.com/2010/10/whos-better-ray-allen-or-manu-ginobili/

Ray Allen is the better shooter and is the better individual player that has accomplished more in the NBA but Manu has had a big impact on our championship teams and everywhere else he has been. The thing about Manu though is he's more injury prone and can't play more minutes. I'd still take him though since he seems to find ways to contribute and be productive (even his little coaching gig the other night :)).

DespЏrado
10-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Ray Allen is the better shooter and is the better individual player that has accomplished more in the NBA but Manu has had a big impact on our championship teams and everywhere else he has been. The thing about Manu though is he's more injury prone and can't play more minutes. I'd still take him though since he seems to find ways to contribute and be productive (even his little coaching gig the other night :)).

That part is certainly debatable. Manu is one of the clutchest players the nba has ever seen. I would like him to be less injured and 6 years younger again, but it is what it is.

Chomag
10-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I give Manu the edge because of his "never say die" attitude.

Manu is a winner

DesignatedT
10-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Ray Allen is the better shooter and is the better individual player.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/584/commandowrong.gif

ohmwrecker
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
What exactly has Jesus Shuttlesworth accomplished that Manu has not?

Dex
10-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I know how Chuck would answer this.

Trill Clinton
10-20-2010, 05:06 PM
This is a tough choice but I have to give Ray the edge.

AussieFanKurt
10-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I think Ray may have the skill advantage, but Manu has the heart and as Chomag said, better never say die attitude, never gives up

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Though Ray has the clear advantage when it comes to shooting, Manu has the advantage everywhere else. Gotta give Ginobili the nod.

emanueldavidginobili
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
better individual player? what can ray do that manu cant do? ray allen obviously can shoot better but manu is still a good shooter manu can get to the rim better get to the line better passer better better at grabbing boards better on defense. and about the accomplishments part.... 3 rings? and ray couldnt lead anyone to a championship with his own team (sonics) he had to jump on the celtics bandwagon. ginobili dropped 40 something in the WCSF in 2005 against ray rays team

Chris Madrid's
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I know how Chuck would answer this.
Get a life Dex

DJB
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM

:nope

DJB
10-20-2010, 05:32 PM

:nope

It's the same debate as him and Joe Johnson. Manu's the better all around player and a winner.

galvatron3000
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
3 championships to 1, attacks the basket relentlessly, gets to the line, has killer instinct and is highly competitive so what does Allen have more of?

Chris Madrid's
10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
3 championships to 1, attacks the basket relentlessly, gets to the line, has killer instinct and is highly competitive so what does Allen have more of?
Penis?

xellos88330
10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Manu is a much better impact player than Allen is. When Allens offense is gone, so is the rest of his game. When Manu's shot is off, he still makes an impact on the game with his intangibles. You hear of Manu having terrible shooting nights, but never a really bad game (when he is playing healthy).

Barfunk
10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll admit that Manu is my favorite player, so I am biased but:

Career 37mpg > Career 27mpg

Starter > Reserve who is supposed to be starting

21 year old NBA rookie> 25 year old rookie

If given 36-40 minutes per game as a starter, a 27-30 year old Gino was good for no less than 21ppg 5 and 5. I know I've heard people say "well he can't play 35-40 min per game because he was injury prone". Well he has played in a solid 65 games in all of but one season of his 8 year career. But that's the past and this is now, so we will have to see what he can do this season.

I am not a basketball expert by any means. :toast

elbamba
10-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Manu is a better passer, dribbler and decision maker. Both are past their primes but I would not even consider a Manu for Allen trade if it were proposed today. Plus, Manu doesn't whine like a little bitch because someone plays a little aggressive defense.

ALVAREZ6
10-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Manu >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ray Allen

LoneStarState'sPride
10-20-2010, 07:36 PM
This is not even a debate. Manu hands down.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
This is not even a debate. Manu hands down.

Bingo.

Allen is a great shooter, but when is shot isn't falling, then what?

Manu can contribute in so many other ways even if he's cold from the field. He was 0/10 for the OKC Thunder game last year and yet won the game for the Spurs on a single play when he saved the ball from going out of bounds which led to the RJ bucket.

Case closed.

rogcl1
10-20-2010, 08:18 PM
No contest. Manu.

DAF86
10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Spurs fans saying Allen > Manu should be ashamed of themselves, imho.

Ice009
10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Spurs fans saying Allen > Manu should be ashamed of themselves, imho.

Yep. Ray Allen could not guard Manu at ALL in the 2005 WCSF series. Manu DESTROYED HIM.

DAF86
10-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Sure, Ginobili has two more championship rings, but Allen earned his single ring the hard way. He stepped up big-time, scoring 19 points and grabbing 9 rebounds in Game 4 of the 2008 NBA Finals, which was part of the biggest single-game comeback in Finals history. He also was vital in the Game 6 clincher for Boston, hitting seven three-pointers. In Game 2 of the 2010 Finals, Ray broke his own record by hitting eight threes in one game.

And Manu just cruised through his three? Somebody tell this guy to watch the 2005 finals, or even better the 2005 WCSF bewteen the Spurs and Sonics, with Manu and Allen both at their primes.

Or the first round against the Nuggetts, or the WCF against the Suns, or the 2007 WCF against the Jazz, or...

If I remember correctly Allen sucked ass through all that Celtics championship run, except for the finals.

Ice009
10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
And Manu just cruised through his three? Somebody tell this guy to watch the 2005 finals, or even better the 2005 WCSF bewteen the Spurs and Sonics, with Manu and Allen both at their primes.

Or the first round against the Nuggetts, or the WCF against the Suns, or the 2007 WCF against the Jazz, or...

If I remember correctly Allen sucked ass through all that Celtics championship run, except for the finals.

LOL are these people retarded? Allen earned his Championship LOL.

Allen was putting on one of the biggest choke jobs in NBA history throughout those playoffs. I recall telling my friend at the time that I have never seen someone play so well in the regular season and hit game winners and then completely miss everything in the playoffs like Ray was in that 2008 playoff run. PJ Brown had to bail them out of game 7 against the Cavs. Allen's shooting percentage was horrible and he only started playing well in the finals. He choked all the way up to the finals and the Celtics barely got thanks to their dominant home court advantage, but unfortunately there was no one in the East to capitalize on the Celtics choking it up as a team on the road as no one was good enough to beat them at home.

Barfunk
10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I'll admit that Manu is my favorite player, so I am biased but:

Career 37mpg > Career 27mpg

Starter > Reserve who is supposed to be starting

21 year old NBA rookie> 25 year old rookie

If given 36-40 minutes per game as a starter, a 27-30 year old Gino was good for no less than 21ppg 5 and 5. I know I've heard people say "well he can't play 35-40 min per game because he was injury prone". Well he has played in a solid 65 games in all of but one season of his 8 year career. But that's the past and this is now, so we will have to see what he can do this season.

I am not a basketball expert by any means. :toast

What my post means, is yeah, Manu > He Got Game.

No comparison.

ajh18
10-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Well, reading the article, it looks like the article is asking who the better player is right now. If that's the case, I take Manu now, any day of the week.

Ray has lost a lot of athleticism, and is mostly a spot-up shooter at this point. While thats a great threat for a team to have, Manu is more dangerous in too many categories at this point in their respective careers.

Now if looking at their careers, I think that's a valid argument, only because Ray was a pretty dominant scorer who played big minutes and had a longer NBA career. I think there's a decent argument to be made that if you could draft either of them, and get them for their entire pro careers, you might want to take Allen.

On the other hand, for a serier or a single game, you have to take Manu. Manu at his best hurts you in more, different ways than Ray Allen. The clutchness, the do-or-die attitude, the lack of general bitchiness, and passion to win, means that if you need a win, he's your guy.

TE
10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Ginobili, by about the entire radius of the Universe.

analyzed
10-21-2010, 12:31 AM
From a purely US or NBA perspective, admitedly Allen is the greater player. But from a global world perspective Manu is not only greater than Rey but seriously can be considered in the top 10 international greats of all time. I'm not kidding. He certainly is one of if not the most winningest international players ever. (Gold Olympics (as MVP of his team) Silver Worlds. Euro league champion and MVP. plus 3 NBA titles) Tell me a player who has that in his resume. Seriously no one has, except Manu. Assesing Manu simply from his NBA career, is simply not who he is as a player and is only half of the story.

InRareForm
10-21-2010, 12:49 AM
After his 3 pt barrage, he played horrible in the finals, how could anyone pick him after witnessing that?

spurs10
10-21-2010, 01:01 AM
"accomplished more"...bullshit!

Horse
10-21-2010, 07:37 AM

Allen is a better individual player? HAHAHAHA Manu=clutch, allen=choke. and how bout ray ray's D?

Bitch
10-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Penis?

Manu's wife just gave birth to twins, so that would apparently make Manu more effective in that area as well.

romain.star
10-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Manu Ginobili >> (Ray Allen + Reggie Miller)

silverblackfan
10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Living in Seattle, I know Ray is a great community guy, fine shooter and great player. Then and mostly, now. That being said, he can't hold Manu's jock strap. Manu has accomplished a lot more, unless we are just counting All-Star games, in the NBA. Not to mention that Manu is one of the most clutch and balanced players in the NBA today. All I ever remember about Ray is Bruce getting under his skin and keeping him out of the flow of the game for a series. Good times.

hater
10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
all I know is Manu never went 0-13 in a playoff game... much less in an NBA Finals

WildcardManu
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Why is Manu being compared to that chump, they're not even on the same level.

Brazil
10-21-2010, 12:14 PM
funny thread

picc84
10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Shooting - Allen
Everything else - Ginobili
Intangibles - Ginobili

ALVAREZ6
10-21-2010, 01:41 PM
From a purely US or NBA perspective, admitedly Allen is the greater player. But from a global world perspective Manu is not only greater than Rey but seriously can be considered in the top 10 international greats of all time. I'm not kidding. He certainly is one of if not the most winningest international players ever. (Gold Olympics (as MVP of his team) Silver Worlds. Euro league champion and MVP. plus 3 NBA titles) Tell me a player who has that in his resume. Seriously no one has, except Manu. Assesing Manu simply from his NBA career, is simply not who he is as a player and is only half of the story.

What are talking about man? "But seriously can be considered...."

More like: Most definitely is in the top 5 international greats of all time

Muser
10-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Please..Allen is the better shooter and that's it.

Leetonidas
10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Allen really has nothing on Ginobili in the NBA other than All-Star appearences. Manu has more rings, the gold medal (okay not NBA but still), and a Sixth Man of the Year award.

AlleyOopNazi
10-21-2010, 04:25 PM
ray allen would probably run from a bat like a little girl. Manu = dead bat