View Full Version : Series notebook: Robinson will not be available for Game 1

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Series notebook: Robinson will not be available for Game 1
Web Posted: 05/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052205.3S.BKNspurs.notebook.2998e7ce8.html

Backup forward Glenn Robinson will miss today's Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the Phoenix Suns to be with family after the death of his mother. :(

A Spurs' spokesperson said there was no timetable for Robinson's return, as club officials had told him to take all the time he needed.

Robinson began the season on the Philadelphia 76ers' injured list and had spent much of the first half of the season with his family in Chicago. He has played in 10 of the Spurs' 11 playoff games, averaging 4.8 points and 1.8 rebounds in an average of 9.9 minutes.

No fans of Mavs: The Spurs, banged up and tired after a physical series against the Seattle SuperSonics that ended Thursday night, are not at all pleased with the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas blew a 16-point third quarter lead on the way to its Game 6 loss to the Suns, causing the Western Conference finals series to begin today instead of Tuesday.

"I was (watching the Mavericks-Suns game) at a restaurant," Spurs' veteran forward Robert Horry said. "People heard me cussing and looked at me and said, 'What's the matter with that guy?'"

Suns' Johnson not cleared yet: Phoenix officials said they have to yet to give Joe Johnson clearance to play.

Johnson has been sidelined since suffering a displaced orbital fracture and mild concussion when he fell hard on the court in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals. He underwent surgery to repair the fracture.

Johnson has been outfitted to wear a protective mask but has yet to receive it.

"I'm hoping to get out there as soon as I can, but I'm not ready," Johnson said. "As soon as I can get out there, I will. But I'm not going to rush it."

Olympic reunion: Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion played on Team USA with Tim Duncan last summer during the Olympics in Athens.

Stoudemire was asked if he took any of Duncan's money playing cards.

"No," he said, "but I should have taken some of his playing time."

Unfamiliar territory: This is only the second time in seven seasons the Spurs have opened a playoff series on the road. The last time was the 2002 Western Conference finals, which they lost in five games to the Los Angeles Lakers.

"It's a big factor," Horry said. "You always want to have that comfort of having home-court advantage. We don't, so we just have to see what kind of team we are, what kind of push we can make."

The Spurs do have some history on their side: The last time they won a playoff series without home-court advantage was in 1998 when they beat Phoenix in the first round.

Mutual respect: Suns coach Mike D'Antoni called the Spurs "the team to beat." Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the same about Phoenix.

"They've proven that all year long," Popovich said. "They play a great style, a great pace. They're very committed, and they know what they're doing. They're very confident in it. It is a big-time challenge for us."

Chicken dance: Today's game will be the first between the two teams since Suns owner Robert Sarver taunted Duncan and Manu Ginobili when they failed to suit up for the March 9 game in Phoenix. Sarver flapped his arms like wings and mouthed "chicken" when the Spurs came out for the game without the two All-Stars, both of whom were injured.

"That did not bother me," said Ginobili, who was nursing a strained groin in March. "It was funny. After that, I missed four more games and Tim one more, so it was not like we were trying to show them up. He was just (being) another fan."

Said Horry, "I figured he was just trying to be one of those colorful owners, like Mark Cuban, who wants to be seen. That's just part of his personality. I noticed one game, he was out there jumping off a trampoline. That might be him, enjoying himself. You've got to enjoy owners like that. They're colorful and trying to get their team pumped up."

Happy consultant: Popovich heartily endorsed the Air Force Academy's hiring of former Denver Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik as the coach at Popovich's alma mater. Air Force athletic director Dr. Hans Mueh had sought Popovich's counsel about the hire.

"I thought Jeff was an especially good fit, for all the reasons you can mention," Popovich said. "He's a discipline guy. Those guys will react to him."

Johnny Ludden

and Mike Monroe

Catharsis
05-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Johnson has received medical clearace to play, the Suns have said, however, that they will let Johnson decide the timetable for his own return. They have listed him as doubtful for Sunday's game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 12:37 AM
the death of his mother.

All the assholes on the other thread taking shots at his attitude need to man up and apologize.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 01:39 AM
There's a couple. They know who they are.

Tek_XX
05-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Tpark was talking shit about Big Dog

iminlakerland
05-22-2005, 01:48 AM
Damn that really really sucks...RIP...

rwb
05-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Rough year for the Big Dog. Hope he can get some play in, but I'm sure it'll be tough for him to concentrate...I know I'd be done for the season if it was my ma.

coachtf
05-22-2005, 08:26 AM
God Bless Big Dog and his family.

This is the series that he can play a big role because of the way Phoenix will be scrambling to cover down on Tim. Robinson can make shots and against the Suns who try to get points in transition Glen can get more help behind him and on the elbow.

B-ball seems small at a time like this for him but maybe he will find that WILL deep down to honor his mother with a huge effort.

On a side note Devin Brown if healthy could be a huge playa for the Spurs in this series. We need Brown to contribute in some way NOW!

slayermin
05-22-2005, 08:55 AM
The last time was the 2002 Western Conference finals, which they lost in five games to the Los Angeles Lakers.

I believe that was the semi-finals.

Condolences to Glenn Robinson and the fam.

angel_luv
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Backup forward Glenn Robinson will miss today's Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the Phoenix Suns to be with family after the death of his mother. :(

Poor Big Dog! How awful! He'll be in my prayers!

"I was (watching the Mavericks-Suns game) at a restaurant," Spurs' veteran forward Robert Horry said. "People heard me cussing and looked at me and said, 'What's the matter with that guy?'"

Hehe! Him too, ay? Time to declare war on Canada!

SpursWoman
05-22-2005, 09:13 AM
:(

bonesinaz
05-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Prayers for Big Dog and his family.