PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan expected to play in opener

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Duncan expected to play in opener
Web Posted: 05/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052205.3S.BKNspurs.duncan.2998e7e6d.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — It was no surprise at all that Tim Duncan was held out of the Spurs' practice session Saturday afternoon at the club's practice facility.

But it will be a shock if he does not play in today's Game 1 of the Western Conference finals with the Phoenix Suns at America West Arena.

Duncan's left ankle remains very sore after he sprained it in the fourth quarter of Thursday's Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals. Practice, other than a little shooting, was out of the question.

But just as Duncan insisted on remaining in the game after he sprained the ankle, he is expected to get his normal regimen of court time in Game 1. Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who typically errs on the side of caution when it comes to injuries, knew better than to suggest Duncan would sit out.

"He's sore," Popovich said. "He's just going to have to figure it out. He's not great, but I think he is probable for the game."

And if he does suit up, which appears likely, Popovich will keep a close eye on whether or not Duncan is able to do the things that make him one of the league's best big men.

"We're just going to have to see what (Tim) can do, what he can tolerate," Popovich said. "We're very concerned about it, obviously. But in the end, nobody cares. All they care is: Was it a win or was it a loss?

"We're not going to do something to jeopardize Tim's health or the team's chances for success. If he can't play, he can't play. But if he can play at all, there is going to be no way to keep him off the court."

Duncan's backup at power forward, Robert Horry, is coming off a series against Seattle in which he was a vital contributor while playing both behind Duncan and with him. He does not anticipate having to play more because of Duncan's situation.

"I don't think I have to play more time in this series," Horry said. "Even if Tim isn't in there, we'll probably figure out something where I don't have to play many more minutes."

The Spurs know they will be without backup small forward Glenn Robinson, whose mother died over the weekend, which pretty much leaves them without a backup for small forward Bruce Bowen. Devin Brown, who has played some backup small forward in the small lineup the Spurs used extensively in their three regular-season matchups against Phoenix, remains hampered by a right leg weakened by a herniated disc, and Popovich doesn't plan on using him much, at least not in Game 1.

"So far, Devin just isn't able to go," Popovich said. "He's just out there for a few minutes, here and there, to see if that leg kicks in, but so far, he hasn't had any success, health-wise. He was a big part of our depth throughout the season, so it is a setback. But I'm sure the Suns feel the same way about Joe Johnson, who is a starter for them."

There was some good news on the injury front for the Spurs: All-Star guard Manu Ginobili, who suffered a deep thigh bruise in Thursday's game, declared himself fully recovered and ready to go for Game 1.

MadDog73
05-22-2005, 12:12 AM
There was some good news on the injury front for the Spurs: All-Star guard Manu Ginobili, who suffered a deep thigh bruise in Thursday's game, declared himself fully recovered and ready to go for Game 1.

Whew. With a 100% Manu and Tony we still have a chance, even with a gimpy Tim.

(Must remind myself that Suns should be tired and banged up to with only one day rest. Must keep hope alive!)

beirmeistr
05-22-2005, 12:40 AM
Duncan expected to play in opener
Web Posted: 05/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052205.3S.BKNspurs.duncan.2998e7e6d.html

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

PHOENIX — It was no surprise at all that Tim Duncan was held out of the Spurs' practice session Saturday afternoon at the club's practice facility.

But it will be a shock if he does not play in today's Game 1 of the Western Conference finals with the Phoenix Suns at America West Arena.

Duncan's left ankle remains very sore after he sprained it in the fourth quarter of Thursday's Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals. Practice, other than a little shooting, was out of the question.

But just as Duncan insisted on remaining in the game after he sprained the ankle, he is expected to get his normal regimen of court time in Game 1. Even Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who typically errs on the side of caution when it comes to injuries, knew better than to suggest Duncan would sit out.

"He's sore," Popovich said. "He's just going to have to figure it out. He's not great, but I think he is probable for the game."

And if he does suit up, which appears likely, Popovich will keep a close eye on whether or not Duncan is able to do the things that make him one of the league's best big men.

"We're just going to have to see what (Tim) can do, what he can tolerate," Popovich said. "We're very concerned about it, obviously. But in the end, nobody cares. All they care is: Was it a win or was it a loss?

"We're not going to do something to jeopardize Tim's health or the team's chances for success. If he can't play, he can't play. But if he can play at all, there is going to be no way to keep him off the court."

Duncan's backup at power forward, Robert Horry, is coming off a series against Seattle in which he was a vital contributor while playing both behind Duncan and with him. He does not anticipate having to play more because of Duncan's situation.

"I don't think I have to play more time in this series," Horry said. "Even if Tim isn't in there, we'll probably figure out something where I don't have to play many more minutes."

The Spurs know they will be without backup small forward Glenn Robinson, whose mother died over the weekend, which pretty much leaves them without a backup for small forward Bruce Bowen. Devin Brown, who has played some backup small forward in the small lineup the Spurs used extensively in their three regular-season matchups against Phoenix, remains hampered by a right leg weakened by a herniated disc, and Popovich doesn't plan on using him much, at least not in Game 1.

"So far, Devin just isn't able to go," Popovich said. "He's just out there for a few minutes, here and there, to see if that leg kicks in, but so far, he hasn't had any success, health-wise. He was a big part of our depth throughout the season, so it is a setback. But I'm sure the Suns feel the same way about Joe Johnson, who is a starter for them."

Even if he wasn't fully recovered, Manu would say he was. So let's hope that he is unhampered by his thigh bruise this afternoon.

PM5K
05-22-2005, 12:43 AM
I don't think the bruise will hamper him much once he gets going, I'm sure he'll warm up well but so say he's 100% is bull....

T Park
05-22-2005, 12:56 AM
fantastic.

Nothing like having another ankle injury going into the Western Finals.

WTF, do the basketball gods have it out for us this year or something!?!??!?

MadDog73
05-22-2005, 12:59 AM
fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing during Game 6. First Tim goes down. Then, 0.5 seconds. But we survived.

Why would the Basketball Gods allow us to survive game 6, and then lose to the Suns? So, don't lose your faith just yet. :)

td4mvp21
05-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Whew. With a 100% Manu and Tony we still have a chance, even with a gimpy Tim.

(Must remind myself that Suns should be tired and banged up to with only one day rest. Must keep hope alive!)

MadDog, thats what we did all season long, and thats how we won so many games. Duncan wasn't 100% at all this season, but Manu and Parker helped him out a lot. Lets hope they both step it up.

I'd be happy if Duncan could put up 18 pts and 8 rebounds every game or somewhere around that.

MadDog73
05-22-2005, 08:25 AM
MadDog, thats what we did all season long, and thats how we won so many games. Duncan wasn't 100% at all this season, but Manu and Parker helped him out a lot. Lets hope they both step it up.

I'd be happy if Duncan could put up 18 pts and 8 rebounds every game or somewhere around that.

Agreed.

Jimcs50
05-22-2005, 09:20 AM
fantastic.

TPark, every team has injuries. Look at the Sonics, they were without 2 of their top 3 scorers, and outside threats....stop your whining.

maxpower
05-22-2005, 12:02 PM
fantastic.

It's the trade-off the bball gods gave us with getting two # 1 picks that would be Robinson and Duncan.

TMSKILZ
05-22-2005, 12:27 PM
There's no such thing as Basketball GODs, there's only one GOD & That's the trinity of GOD the Father, Jesus & holy spirit!

DBrown injury is rearing it's ugly head here in the playoffs, causing our bench not to produce as it was this yr.

Now with BIG DOG out (my condolences) it's going to put more pressure, mins & fatigue on our starting guys. DBrown was a major help/spark off the bench. Sadly Kori was wrong when she said the longer the playoffs went for us, the better DBrown would get health wise, from reading this article, DBrown is not improving @ all.

:(