PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 bolt action rifle

Sportcamper
10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
So I saw the CNBC special program about the Remington 700 bolt action rifle…Apparently it fires without the trigger being pulled….I have never heard of this problem & found the information presented to be very troubling…Especially the part where they track down the 98 year old designer of the rifle who basically agrees that there is a problem which could be improved upon…

There must be over one million of these firearms in Texas alone…What do you all think about this story…

But the customer complaints, and more than 75 lawsuits, have alleged the 700 is susceptible to firing without the trigger being pulled. At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 injuries have been linked to accidental discharges involving the 700's trigger mechanism.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2010-10-20-remington-700-trigger-cnbc_N.htm

clambake
10-21-2010, 03:07 PM
a gun with a built in alibi? gotta get me one of these!

baseline bum
10-21-2010, 03:08 PM
a gun with a built in alibi? gotta get me one of these!

:rollin

Sportcamper
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Harsh...:lol

So none of the other hundreds of thousand of owners of this firearm on this forum are concerned?

Bender
10-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I had one for a few years, no problems at all. Traded it in on something else a couple of years ago. If anything, my complaint about it was that it was TOO DAMN HARD to pull the trigger...

it must have had a 7-pound trigger pull at least. Liability reasons I guess. And they did not make it adjustable either, like better companies do (ie: Savage).

CosmicCowboy
10-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, first, if the gun is handled properly no one should get hurt. You never point a gun, loaded or unloaded at anything you don't intend to shoot.

And yes, I have personally seen a customized 700 fire when the bolt was closed. We had just flown into Saskatchewan and were checking our rifles after the flight. It was really cold and when he closed the bolt the gun fired. The gun was being handled safely and the bullet went downrange. Tried it again and the same thing happened. At the time we attributed it to the fact that he had some custom trigger work done and we assumed the temperature differential from Texas to Canada had caused the metal to shrink making the tolerances unsafe. Don't know if that was the case or not but this 700 trigger/safety issue is not new.

4>0rings
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Good enough for the marine snipers I guess.

Sportcamper
10-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I have NEVER heard about this before…What irks me is that when I purchased several left hand 700’s the pricing was within $100.00 dollars to a Weatherby, Browning, Husqvarna or Sako rifle…

I would have invested in something else if I had known...

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
No offense, but no German design would do this. Or Austrian. Steyr Scout for me (and nothing, until I can save the money to get it lol)

Wild Cobra
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
1) Keep your weapon clean.

2) never point a weapon unless you intend to shoot it.

Weapons of many types have misfired over the years. Nothing new here, except a new angle for lawyers to get rich. Nobody should be playing with weapons who aren't aware of the dangers.

I see nothing here. Move on.

4>0rings
10-21-2010, 09:36 PM
1) Keep your weapon clean.

2) never point a weapon unless you intend to shoot it.

Weapons of many types have misfired over the years. Nothing new here, except a new angle for lawyers to get rich. Nobody should be playing with weapons who aren't aware of the dangers.

I see nothing here. Move on.
The designer of the rifle thinks different.