PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 best voices in music (and why)

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Since I've seen a few album-related threads lately, I got the inspiration to make this one about pure voices... not those terribly hollowed-out Autotuners like the lead singer of Train.

ryjctocp0pI

Sara Bareilles
Sure, to some/most she may sound generic. Her alto-to-soprano range is quite good but not overpowering (like a Mariah Carey, or many other American yellers), and she's got that quality that you can picture in your head like your mother singing lullabies or bedtime stories to you when you were 6.

kn6-c223DUU

Hayley Williams - Paramore
At first I thought Paramore was another one-off poppy sensation group. In "Airplanes," at first, especially with how she pronounces "stars" in the chorus, I thought she was a little too childish-sounding. But that's just her style I think...or accent. Sure enough, after a few listens I was hooked. I hope she does more music, because her voice is also quite unique and pleasing to the ear.

yj0wsNvpUyY

Adam Gardner - Guster
Smooth and easy to reproduce in a car doing 65, I think Adam/Guster's music is perfect for the road. Very relaxing and he hits the high notes without fanfare. It's almost like he isn't really trying, but you know they took weeks to record Keep It Together.

yVGB1PTZSrk

Nikki Monninger - Silversun Pickups
Give "Lazy Eye" a listen and you may find that it's another nice song to drive to. I got the album that had this song and most of the songs have a similar rhythm. She sings medium-fast paced and it's about right for her band's style. I think if they get back in the studio and make some more music, they're bound to have some really big hits. Especially if they make use of that ridiculous screaming voice she displays around 2:50 in Lazy Eye.

IPSciGJXnb4

Drake
His style is distinct, like many on my list, in that he doesn't have to yell to project. It's also not too R&B like Boyz-II-Men style or 112... He doesn't rely on falsetto like many of his R&B peers. It's a voice that is very well-suited to lyrical music but I doubt it would be able to produce the range of some of the other singers on this list.

Honorable mention: Ben Harper

d84fhe52ta4

Older but great: Steven Tyler
I was at a wedding a couple weeks ago and heard the DJ queue up Dream On. I was pumped, only to be disappointed to realize it was not the original. How I knew? Nobody does the dream on freakout like Steven Tyler at the end of the song...nobody in history.
txlXcJDtDwM

vy65
10-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Lead singer of silversun pickups is a dude

koriwhat
10-21-2010, 03:35 PM
frank black - awesome with the pixies but more-so solo
manu chao - bringing the voice of spain to the forefront as well as mx
2pac - paved the way
big L - paved the way as well
myka9 - no doubt, the master!

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Lead singer of silversun pickups is a dude

Yeah, my mistake...she's not lead vocalist but just a vocalist in the band. And a bassist

Shelly
10-21-2010, 03:40 PM
oops--hit send too soon

*Seal--the man's got chops! One of my favorite singers
*Christina Aguilara--I don't like her songs (except for Beautiful), but the girl can sing
*Chris Cornell--just love his voice
Cee-Lo Green--Love his voice also
Sia--very distinct voice and also a great singer

spurs_2108
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, my mistake...she's not lead vocalist but just a vocalist in the band. And a bassist

Yeah but I can see where people who never listen to Silversun Pickups, listen to one of their songs and think that the lead singer is a girl.

koriwhat
10-21-2010, 03:47 PM
oh yeah and one of my favs.... al fuckin' green!

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 03:49 PM
frank black - awesome with the pixies but more-so solo
manu chao - bringing the voice of spain to the forefront as well as mx
2pac - paved the way
big L - paved the way as well
myka9 - no doubt, the master!

Pac was definitely one of the founding lyricists if you ask me (and of course I'll say that, being from Cali). Funny how you mention it bc somebody wrote thug life on my car in the morning dew this morning lol...I was like wtf

And Big L...I just watched an old school snowboarding vid last night, The Resistance. Big L was on that soundtrack. (RIP)
CyXQlBIujio

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah but I can see where people who never listen to Silversun Pickups, listen to one of their songs and think that the lead singer is a girl.

tbh I just got intro'd to the band about a year ago so I only have 1 album (maybe 2, forgot where it is). But I listen to the one with Lazy Eye in my car

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Cee-Lo Green

The best F U - titled song I've ever heard...but that's not saying much :P

Muser
10-21-2010, 03:58 PM
5) Simon Neil - Biffy Clyro

I dunno if i'm gonna be flamed to shit for this, I don't know the view of Biffy on ST but I fucking love them, and IMO Simon has a great voice.

yif4vWa-Mgo

4)Rob Halford - Judas Priest

If you've ever listened to Judas Priest then you already know why, the guy has a fucking amazing voice. He has over a four octave range for crying out loud.

uie63E4gqno

3) Chris Cornell - Soundgarden/Audioslave

Stricly Soundgarden/Audioslave here, none of that solo shit he's made. Same as Rob, he has a 4 octave range which is great, from the scream in "Cochise" to slower vocal patterns such as "Black Hole Sun"

Yfg53k6rb9o

2)Thom Yorke - Radiohead

Thanks to IronMexican for recommending a lot of Radiohead to me, just listen and you can see he has a great voice. What more can be said?

rF8khJ7P4Wg

1)Matt Bellamy - Muse

What did you expect?

QdNIVcytzS0&feature=related

fraga
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
So if we're going by strictly voice talent...here are five off the top of my head...

Angela McClusky - she's got that old timey raspiness to her voice

9OlSwAjIwZY

Bjork - I've always thought she had a clean and different voice

BML2JAFUIaw

Chino Moreno - I like the way he can switch from screamy to soft

woR6ohiFeYE

Rufus Wainwright - He has very unusual voice...kind of old timey...raspey...and yes extremely gay...

oG9lFcO18gc

Anthony Caleb Followill - Again...very unusual distinctive voice

Dv7vr6oE3U8

fraga
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
What the double post???

Drachen
10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Where is the steve perry troll when you need him. That guy could sing. I agree with some others here.

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Anthony Caleb Followill - Again...very unusual distinctive voice

Dv7vr6oE3U8

I've read alot about KOL...surprisingly a lot. They have a huge cult following. There's gotta be something there.

oh, and they make very good use of cowbell.

JamStone
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
5 is tough, but off the top of my head...

Stevie Wonder
Aretha Franklin
Bob Marley
Bradley Nowell
Chaka Khan

vy65
10-21-2010, 04:38 PM
(in no particular order)

5. Cobain, Kurt: Nirvana

iKT1P7x_Pzo

4. Krug, Spencer: Wolf Parade

VZgwW-RzD30

3. Marshall, Chan: Cat Power

frtm7qrcG8U

2. Manson, Marilyn.

FFO3DSSb87A&has_verified=1

1. Berninger, Matt: The National

cgRsYkKb1eI

mrsmaalox
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Top 5 voices from any genre and any era?? That's a tough one.

Totally agree with Seal. I love voices like Lyle Lovett, Andrea Boccelli and the greatest voice ever, Dean Martin. In rock there are just too many for me to count....but Boy George's voice was very, very beautiful.

But it's impossible to narrow down.

Muser
10-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Fuck, dunno how I could of forgot about Bruce Dickinson.

IronMexican
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
1. Berninger, Matt: The National

cgRsYkKb1eI

This is about as close to a song can come to perfect.

phxspurfan
10-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Top 5 voices from any genre and any era?? That's a tough one.

Totally agree with Seal. I love voices like Lyle Lovett, Andrea Boccelli and the greatest voice ever, Dean Martin. In rock there are just too many for me to count....but Boy George's voice was very, very beautiful.

I was thinking more recent, but the way the thread has evolved I don't think it has to be restricted. Or restricted to 5. I would definitely include Sinatra in there if I expanded my list. And I go by uniqueness more than pure talent as a preference, so cookie cutter types like opera singers and actress/model/singer-types rate pretty low on my list. I like to hear some crazy, possibly f-ed up, definitely talented people for the most part...

props to the Marilyn Manson...and Nirvana/Audioslave/Radiohead ones are classics that always belong on these types of lists. Also RHCP due to sheer popularity

IronMexican
10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
And Thom's voice isn't great. It's average to me. Reckoner, though, he does kick ass in.

vy65
10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
This is about as close to a song can come to perfect.

For real? That's not even my favorite. It made me get into them, but I think

yZDl2xRK_r8

and

kY3fXqPb-fM

are on par, if not slightly better.

vy65
10-21-2010, 05:00 PM
two honorable mentions:

WrVgCCUQ3fQ

oeLI9CMrErg

silverblk mystix
10-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Any era...

I would go with Sinatra, Elvis, Patsy Cline, Michael Jackson, David Ruffin, Stevie Wonder,

Geez...there are about another dozen or more that really would be hard to exclude...

koriwhat
10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
cgRsYkKb1eI

i'm no smiths or morrisey fan and so i really have no clue how anyone outside of a gay bar could like that type of stuff. maybe the content is different with the nationals but it all sounds the same to me.

ploto
10-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Pure voice-- I love Martina McBride and Vince Gill.

dgjTO5eAbZY

6jXrmAKBBTU&ob=av2e

IronMexican
10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
i'm no smiths or morrisey fan and so i really have no clue how anyone outside of a gay bar could like that type of stuff. maybe the content is different with the nationals but it all sounds the same to me.

The National sound nothing like The Smiths. Joy Division is probably closer, since they both have dancey beats, deep voiced male singers, and songs about depression.

benefactor
10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
In no order...

Singing voices:

Michael McDonald
Stevie Wonder
Aretha Franklin
Robert Plant
Don Henley

Vince Gill deserves serious honorable mention.

Rap voices:

Scarface
Tupac
Eightball
Pimp C
Ice Cube

CuckingFunt
10-22-2010, 03:11 AM
Not even going to try to limit myself to five. Off the top of my head:

Sam Butera:
G5nk3AIBORc
He's known as a saxophone player, and is my absolute favorite at that, but he sang a lot too and I just love his voice. Every bit as cool and silky smooth as his saxophone.

Wilson Pickett:
gKuv5u55xzw

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Starr):
fF0lRYhhiwI

Jon Hendricks:
pmAKPHYJMwc
The above is a track by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, and I love all of their voices, but Jon Hendricks (singing lead here) has one of my absolute favorite voices ever.

Fiona Apple:
DQGy9xIrn7w

Otis Redding:
AIngFpoX-dI

Mavis Staples:
zXvKRZRofDE

Julie London:
iFN_Iu_PD-g
VWZkRNEULi4

Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age):
0wTxqHbJOzg

Sam Cooke:
K2-U93dQttQ

Bill Withers:
g3hBYTkI-sE

Harry Connick, Jr.:
t5IS06jxEA8
And I realize that most people go through the millions of youtubes threads without listening to anything, but you should do so here. This is from one of the only concert videos I've actually spent money on, he's one of the best and most entertaining people I've seen live, and this encore is awesome in terms of both music and personality. /rant

The Mills Brothers:
iimCcAIpznM
All of them. Were I not half asleep, and therefore unable to remember names, I'd actually specify, but all of their voices (especially together) are pretty fucking awesome. Incidentally, the only instrument there is a guitar. Everything else is done vocally.

The Boswell Sisters:
XHNEalChxs8
See above. I think the lead singer is Connee, and her voice is amazing, but the other two aren't slouches either.

Yma Sumac:
yhUBJZdL8BY
The Black Eyed Peas apparently sampled the hell out of this song. They suck. Yma doesn't.

Okay. That's enough. Would also agree with the Cee-Lo, Bjork, Dean Martin, Al Green, Brad Nowell, Lyle Lovett, and Seal mentions in here.

CuckingFunt
10-22-2010, 03:13 AM
(Out-eclectic THAT, hipsters. I dare you.)

benefactor
10-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Bill Withers :tu

leemajors
10-22-2010, 06:32 AM
No love for Orbison?

benefactor
10-22-2010, 07:14 AM
No love for Orbison?
No James Taylor either yet, which is surprising.

As others have said, it's pretty hard to narrow it down to five.

Cry Havoc
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
No one has mentioned Dio yet? Shameful.

Leetonidas
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Robert Plant - One of the most versatile voices ever, he could hit the highest and lowest notes and his vocalizations were awesome.

Freddie Mercury - Probably the greatest singer ever.

David Gilmour - I'm a huge Floyd fan and I much prefer songs where he songs over Waters.

Layne Staley - Grunge personified. He had the best grunge voice out of all of them, too bad he was a heroine addict.

Jim Morrison - He may not necessarily have the best voice, but there was so much power behind it, hard to not love The Doors.

Phillip
10-22-2010, 10:26 AM
in hip hop, I love Nas' voice and delivery. very smooth.

I like Dr. Dre's voice a lot too.

Phillip
10-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Dillinger Escape Plan has the best lead singer though

Smg3coINg0E

Fpoonsie
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Adam Duritz - Counting Crows is, hands down, my favorite band, and it has as much to do w/ Adam's raspy voice as it does the chill music.

pp2AboPGSv8

John Popper - like Adam, I like unusual voices that I can't even come close to imitating. And then, ya know, there's tha harmonica. I DO, however, miss morbidly obese JP.

KHUxx4x1ht4

Justin Vernon - so chill, so good.

ePatJIwB-sI

Regina Spektor - the smoothest female voice I know, and it compliments her amazing piano play perfectly

q4koZeb_viU

Marcus Mumford - favorite album this year, and this guy's English pipes have a LOT to do w/ it...as does the celtic bluegrass.

I6LTu9PdPa4

vy65
10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
the one good thing Dillinger Escape Plan has ever done:

qboe5CebixA

lol poor man's coldplay . . .

CuckingFunt
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
No love for Orbison?

Yeah, he should have been on my list. Along with:

Dinah Washington:
emkqc3PIw8E

Kay Starr:
CWx1DriReHc
Doesn't get started until about the :45 mark.

Dick Powell:
p_wgmjaDrGM
One of the major 1930s crooners (along with the also amazing Bing Crosby), who is probably less known today but has a great sound.

Mahalia Jackson:
gPZuWzZvoYQ

Sister Rosetta Tharpe:
JeaBNAXfHfQ

Billie Holliday:
JxVXNWdHDq

Nina Simone:
h8tuTSi6Sck

Screamin' Jay Hawkins:
PwXai-sgM-s
Seriously, if you don't like this, you just suck. And are boring. And boring is even worse than suck.

Mary Ford:
QqZ0Sdz_V40

Slim Whitman:
ndChcyOAEcs
Dude's voice saves the planet from alien invasion. 'Nuff said.

Ray Davies (The Kinks):
1h1oRP7FfBw
Love the band in general, but I've always really liked Ray Davies' voice.

Janis Joplin:
mzNEgcqWDG4
Far from a polished or "pretty" voice, but my goodness what she did with it could be amazing.

Tom Waits:
1ymBaAsSqDE
His voice is just wrong, but in a wonderful way.

leemajors
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
sorry to poke fun, but Counting Crows is your Favorite Band would be a great AC song title.

phxspurfan
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Props to the Otis Redding and Sam Cooke entries...

And I'll go ahead and add Tori Amos, just for potential's sake. I don't like how she sings, but I do like how she could sing.

Winehole23
10-22-2010, 04:09 PM
No yet mentioned (I think), in no particular order: Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Miriam Makeba, Donny Hathaway, Karen Carpenter, Ray LaMontaigne, Etta James, Sam Moore, Merle Haggard, Dinah Washington, Curtis Mayfield,Sandy Denny, Minnie Ripperton, Aaron Neville, George Jones, Michael Jackson.

IronMexican
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Regina Spektor has great tits.

Fpoonsie
10-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Ray LaMontaigne

:tu

silverblk mystix
10-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Bobby Womack....pure velvet vocals;

y_eFe-oVQMg

Sting- pop open the bottle and chill;

7r1GdmosmUg

David Ruffin...the most underrated soul singer ever;

PvtBYLf9XkY

Terence Trent Darby...chills when I hear this song;

HB_6PWaVwO8

Diego El Cigala...if you like a little flamenco in your vocals;

5T-sotRUSVI

Chris Isaak...doing Orbison...pretty well I might add;

aL9YVQnaEKI

Linda Ronstadt-breakin my heart with this vocal;

abaJfuJbkgg

Michael Jackson....pure;

6DQJPL9Yuq0

phxspurfan
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Regina Spektor - the smoothest female voice I know, and it compliments her amazing piano play perfectly

q4koZeb_viU

awesome.

v2freak
10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm biased by what I listen to, so I'm going to try to add as few metal vocalists as possible:

Leona Lewis - great, sensual voice with a lot of emotion
Lady Gaga - smooth and pretty as proven in her live performances
Freddie Mercury (Queen) - great all around
Robert Flynn (Machine Head) - his voice is both brutal and smooth
Ivan Moody (Five Finger Death Punch) - can growl like a beast possessed or sing low-high notes

blizz
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
this isn't an all time list by any means, this is a right now list for me and i'm partial to female singers and i KNOW this is more than 5....so........

Colbie Caillat
Joss Stone
Alison Sudol from A Fine Frenzy
Kathy Fisher from Fisher
Harriet Wheeler from The Sundays
Corinne Bailey Rae
Hayley Williams from Paramore

Spurminator
10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/587979/Sebastian+Bach.jpg

silverblk mystix
10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
This sounds so fresh...I wonder why Jeff Beck just doesn't put her in the band and make a CD and tour...

Jeff Beck with Imogen Heap;

z79pgPn357g

silverblk mystix
10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
another Jeff Beck with Imogen Heap..

they kinda rock out on this one...but again, so fresh sounding.

uuXcGHjBeac

ORION
10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Anselmo
Tate
DIO
Mercury
Hetfield

DarkReign
10-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Mercury might be single greatest rock vocalist of all time and I dislike Queen.

DieMrBond
10-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Mine, in no particular order:

Jeff Buckley
N3-_DbEYe7A&ob=av2n

Beth Gibbons - Portishead
MAsrDu3pL2g

Jeff Martin - The Tea Party / Armada
cFzQX2i6mwo

Maynard James Keenan - Tool / APC / Pusifer
hglVqACd1C8

Ian Kenny - Birds of Tokyo / Karnivool
18SUFbABxNQ

Honourable mentions, because seriously - ONLY five!? Impossible!
Thom Yorke - Radiohead
cud_k9f6tqk

Trent Reznor - NIN
UEW8riKU_tE

Florence Welch - Florence and the Machine
1TwqE2X55Wg&fmt=18

Summers
10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
This thread just goes to show you that vocal talent is subjective. I think some of the people listed are simply awful. But I think I'm a bit of a vocal purist (sang opera in college), so I really don't like nasally, gravelly, lazy voices. Don't get me wrong--I don't sit around and listen to opera all day. :lol

o9_nxjgeabM

nfNLspDL3ns

cxbFLYa0_bw

VuHgGsP1eOA

7Cc8TI1KomU

And, of course, the best ever: :)
N6wFxG2q8-w

CuckingFunt
10-26-2010, 09:08 PM
kd lang is amazing, vocally. I haven't really liked her music since she got popular (around the time of that fucking "Constant Craving" song), because she lost the country quirk that I found interesting, but her voice is still beautiful.

Summers
10-26-2010, 09:19 PM
kd lang is amazing, vocally. I haven't really liked her music since she got popular (around the time of that fucking "Constant Craving" song), because she lost the country quirk that I found interesting, but her voice is still beautiful.

Yeah, I hated that song, too. :lol

JoeChalupa
10-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Freddie Mercury
Lou Graham
Steve Walsh
Dio
wynona judd
Emilio
so many others who I really enjoy listening to but this what I thought of this second

ORION
10-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one to list Geoff Tate

silverbora
10-26-2010, 11:09 PM
cant argue with anything listed here..

QQtLoJlQD6E

u0UkxWduyGQ

mcYu5Vg_YH8

o22eIJDtKho

benefactor
12-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Bump.

Was thinking about this today. My list is close to the same...except I forgot Billy Ocean...but everyone else did too. Shameful tbh.

benefactor
12-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Jon Foreman is another good one...especially his acoustic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM6nLdVcjQ

Avante
12-29-2015, 01:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-nxT8wd0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-wJNpWgss8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th4SwSpaRWU

Avante
12-29-2015, 01:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVbTE4wCbpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzUhfYAxDTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVTKeVhN1Bc

benefactor
12-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Marty Robbins:tu. I grew up on his gunslinging ballads. My dad is a huge fan.

leemajors
12-29-2015, 08:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCVLtcfLi4

DD
12-29-2015, 09:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCVLtcfLi4

:tu

Avante
12-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Marty Robbins:tu. I grew up on his gunslinging ballads. My dad is a huge fan.

This is about as good as it can get. A Robbins set would have this, the above and El Paso/Big Iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP8wbxXSjaw

Mixing Robbins you'd want....

Jack Greene
David Houston
Hank Snow
Ferlin Husky
Johnny Cash
Conway Twitty
Sonny James
Lefty Frizzell
Porter Wagoner

Avante
12-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Two of the great voices and songs, pretty much forgotten today except those like myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SaeWh3h8Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TGV-KpM9I

What's a perfect fit, it's gotta be....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6PjzhBAYEU

spurraider21
12-31-2015, 04:24 PM
pretty impossible to make this sort of list without including mercury

i approve of otis redding

Avante
01-01-2016, 08:04 PM
pretty impossible to make this sort of list without including mercury

i approve of otis redding

There are a lot of gospel singers and bluegrass singers with some serious vocals. But most....who???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BumYH8n1k

Thread
01-01-2016, 11:29 PM
What's a perfect fit, it's gotta be....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6PjzhBAYEU

Avante hits it here. Yes, this is pure perfection.

baseline bum
01-01-2016, 11:41 PM
In order, I'd say:

1. Frank Sinatra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emAe6IClGys

2. David Ruffin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWSG6liT5Y

3. James Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHSBsi4n64

baseline bum
01-01-2016, 11:45 PM
4. Tom Waits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LLPANAgzw

5. Marvin Gaye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Ykv1D0qEE

tlongII
01-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Nat King Cole is the best I've ever heard.

spurraider21
01-02-2016, 02:31 AM
Nat King Cole is the best I've ever heard.
Yep he definitely deserves a spot on these lists

Avante
01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Funny thing is this....

There is no way in hell, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Howlin' Wolf, Joe Cocker, John Lee Hooker, Willie Nelson, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix (there are others) would stand a chance on any of those American Idol type shows, but there will never be anyone come from there that will compare to the success they had.

I'd much rather listen to Johnny Winter over Tom Jones who was a far better singer. I can't stand Neil Diamond, but love Neil Young.

Then again, some songs take a Gogi Grant, Frank Sinatra, Frankie Laine, Ella Fitzgerald.

No way in hell Sinatra could pull this off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J715ef0tSI

Tony Bennett could never sell this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J73fhAP-dc

A great sound, pretty much lost in obscurity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo7Z2fKTVk

spurraider21
01-02-2016, 08:23 PM
janis joplin could easily win a show like american idol :lol... i agree with the other vocalists you mentioned though

Avante
01-03-2016, 12:01 AM
janis joplin could easily win a show like american idol :lol... i agree with the other vocalists you mentioned though

I don't see it. She's way too raw for what they look for there. Yes yes and yes she was great but not surpy enought for what they seem to like.

Dark Gable
01-03-2016, 10:46 AM
The late Natalie Cole.

Thread
01-03-2016, 10:58 AM
I don't see it. She's way too raw for what they look for there. Yes yes and yes she was great but not surpy enought for what they seem to like.

PERIOD

Screamin' & yellin' & higher than a kite. Whoop-dee-do.

leemajors
01-04-2016, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq1dXaNHJQ0

JMarkJohns
01-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Cat Stevens
Peter Gabriel
Eva Cassidy
Lauren Hill
Johnny Cash
Ben E. King

Didn't see them mentioned. Each is in my top-10 with a few others already discussed.

I like soulful voices, ones with a story before a word is ever spoke.

I'd have paid money to hear Ben E. King sing the ABCs.

Eva Cassidy and Lauren Hill are their own soul. They sing from their gut, tinged with a grief that's been polished smooth from anguish. Stevens and Cash are the antithesis of each other in tone, but each's voice was the best part of the song.

And I've said for years that the greatest instrument on earth is Gabriel's voice. Unlike anything I've ever heard.

Avante
01-08-2016, 02:22 PM
10 totally unique voices.

Charley Partton....King of the Delta Blues, he has to be heard to be believed.
Elvis
Frank Sinatra
Janis Joplin
Bob Dylan
Howlin' Wolf
Marty Robbins
Delbert McClinton
Roy Orbison
Willie Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIquE0izAg

SpursforSix
01-08-2016, 02:33 PM
10 totally unique voices.

Charley Partton....King of the Delta Blues, he has to be heard to be believed.
Elvis
Frank Sinatra
Janis Joplin
Bob Dylan
Howlin' Wolf
Marty Robbins
Delbert McClinton
Roy Orbison
Willie Nelson

Hey old timer...I stumbled on this a couple of weeks ago...you might dig it...maybe Janis Joplin lite...

P64RGr8twaQ

Avante
01-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Hey old timer...I stumbled on this a couple of weeks ago...you might dig it...maybe Janis Joplin lite...

P64RGr8twaQ

I doubt an old timer would care for that so why bother?