PDA

View Full Version : Should we be worried with our depleted bench?

usckk
05-22-2005, 06:18 AM
According to Pop, Brown will not play today, and Robinson will be out as well because his mother died. That just leaves Barry as the lone backup for both Ginobili and Bowen. With Phoenix's small lineup, I see this as a major problem. :(

MI21
05-22-2005, 06:24 AM
Barry is just going to have to show up, all will be forgiven if he can perform this series. Maybe Horry can play spot minutes, 2-3 minutes bursts at SF, and perhaps Parker can shift over the the SG for short burst too.

I really hope Devin can be healthy for the majority of this series. He is a fantastic matchup for Richardson in particular, but can also matchup on Jim Jackson and Joe Johnson when/if he returns to playing.

Jimcs50
05-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Pop has said Devin will not play every time and he keeps getting minutes...so do not believe Pop.

td4mvp21
05-22-2005, 07:58 AM
We still have Beno, Horry, Nestorvic(who will probably see time because Nazr might get into foul trouble), and Barry. They just have to step up, thats what the playoffs are about. If not, then it sucks for us.

Jimcs50
05-22-2005, 07:59 AM
The Suns beat Dallas with 6 players and we are worried about having only 8 players? :rolleyes

whottt
05-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Devin is probably ready to log some additional minutes...the problem for this entire series is going to be Amare Stoudamire, and this is the series where the Spurs will miss Malik Rose...he was the best physical matchup for Amare.

Nazr, Rasho, and Horry are slooooooooooooow and Amare is quickest bigman in the NBA, you can't coach speed...The Spurs have to get him in foul trouble somehow.

I think it's a huge mistake to do any type of doubleteaming against the Suns, especially Nash. And that picnroll in the half court is deadly...

I think the Spurs just need to run and somehow stop Phoenix without forcing them into that devastating picnroll. The problem is that I don't think they can with Duncan's sore ankle...

GrandeDavid
05-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm sick of this Devin Brown is not playing sh!t. Get f-ing healthy, get your ass on the court. I think the Spurs are winning this series in 6 but losing the opener today. Too much fatigue, too many nicks and bruises. Phoenix will be emotional at home in the opener. The Spurs will, however, win the second game of this series Tuesday night.

MadDog73
05-22-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm sick of this Devin Brown is not playing sh!t. Get f-ing healthy, get your ass on the court. I think the Spurs are winning this series in 6 but losing the opener today. Too much fatigue, too many nicks and bruises. Phoenix will be emotional at home in the opener. The Spurs will, however, win the second game of this series Tuesday night.

as much as I hate it, I think GrandeDavid is right. This game favors the Suns. While they could be exhausted, I've thought that too many times, and usually proven wrong.

It sucks though, cause watching a healthy Spurs team vs. a Healthy Suns team would have been a great match-up. Oh, well, maybe Beno, Horry, Barry, Bowen and the rest will have tremendous games and prove us all wrong. (NOTE: Not saying Bowen or Horry have played bad. Just saying they will have to step up even more with Robinson out and Tim hurting.)

GrandeDavid
05-22-2005, 08:29 AM
MadD, also the Suns will be missing Joe Johnson again, further depleting their supposedly thin depth. Anything can happen. You know Manu will be ready and I'm sure Tim and Tony will follow suit.

boutons
05-22-2005, 08:44 AM
It sounds like Tim will be well under 100%, so he's going to have to play a different game than usual to maintain effectiveness.

I think the best we can expect is to steal one and HCA @PHX, then Tim will have 4 days to get his left ankle treated/rested Wed-Sat.

Looking more closely, taking Game1 would be best for Tim. Since if Game2 gets out of reach early, Pop could pull Tim in Game2 and give that left ankle a rest.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2005, 10:08 AM
and this is the series where the Spurs will miss Malik Rose...he was the best physical matchup for Amare.Amare dropped close to 40 on us every game with or without Rose. He's going to get his - it's how we play the others that will make the difference.

Clandestino
05-22-2005, 10:18 AM
manu won't let us lose!

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2005, 10:31 AM
I might regret this post later, but this series strikes me as being in Barry's wheelhouse -- a free-wheeling offensive affair where you're not ever going to absolutely stop the other team. No matter what the Spurs do defensively, Phoenix will average more than 100 ppg in this series, and likely will average at least 105-110 ppg. Barry should be able to just exploit his offensive strengths without worrying about his defensive liabilities, which might allow him to relax and just play.

One can at least hope . . . .

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I might regret this post later, but this series strikes me as being in Barry's wheelhouse -- a free-wheeling offensive affair where you're not ever going to absolutely stop the other team. No matter what the Spurs do defensively, Phoenix will average more than 100 ppg in this series, and likely will average at least 105-110 ppg. Barry should be able to just exploit his offensive strengths without worrying about his defensive liabilities, which might allow him to relax and just play.

I agree. If Devin is really not going to be able to play, Barry is obviously going to see extended minutes. The Spurs are definitely going to need to get their fair share in transition, which bodes well for Barry. He runs the floor well and is a great finisher.

Hopefully we'll be singing his praises after the game this afternoon.

ALVAREZ6
05-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Why wouldn't Devin play?

Kori Ellis
05-22-2005, 11:07 AM
It was reported in today's paper that he's not healthy and likely wouldn't play today.

Sense
05-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Hmm, I think it's best for us to get game one with big minutes from the starters....PHX starters have played alot of minutes, and they seem to have been doing well with that...having bench players in the game against the starters often won't be good.

That's the only thing that worries me about PHX now, that is that they will have their minutes against our bench.

Let's hope for the best :P

boutons
05-22-2005, 11:14 AM
"Why wouldn't Devin play?"

Devin's herniated disc and nerve injury caused atrophy of muscles in one of his legs (it can happen amazingly fast and last amazingly long. Look at how long Devin's leg is still not 100% vs the couple of weeks of immobilization after his injury), so his leg is below strength, out of shape, no explosiveness.

Playing with a weak leg is a great way to injure your knee, which is a mechanically unstable joint (basically a ball rolling on a plate) stabilized by ligaments and muscles. Weak muscles reduce the stability of the knee (for top athlete as well as Desperately Fat Housewives and ChairWarmers), risking ligament and meniscus injuries.

wildbill2u
05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
It was reported in today's paper that he's not healthy and likely wouldn't play today.

Since he hasn't been able to play much--and it looks like his physical health is a continuing problem rather than something that is getting better--I repeat my statement that it would be mistake to add him to the playoff squad. I think we'd have been better off with our other guard who wasn't playing all that badly. And I'm a great believer in Devin as a player--just not this year's playoffs.

timvp
05-22-2005, 12:35 PM

I Believe.

The Suns' plan is to make the Spurs hit shots. When he shoots them, Barry can do just that. Barry can also get out on the break and get layups.

This is the series for Barry to shine. I think he will.

Believe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2005, 01:25 PM
and this is the series where the Spurs will miss Malik Rose...he was the best physical matchup for Amare.

Spurstalk + crack pipe = the line I just quoted.

If you think Malik shut down Amare (38 PPG against SA), I bet he could "hold" Shaq to 50 PPG. :lol

FromWayDowntown
05-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I Believe.

The Suns' plan is to make the Spurs hit shots. When he shoots them, Barry can do just that. Barry can also get out on the break and get layups.

Believe.

So far, so good.

:smokin

ShoogarBear
05-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I Believe.

Believe.
Shit. I was hoping for some good whottt-smack for you, but I believe you covered your ass with this post.

BadlyDrawnBoy
05-22-2005, 06:37 PM

FWD needs another Spur just for this prediction alone.

:hat