PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Players - Fox Sports

Ashy Larry
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
It's not just about rings, which are more team than individual accomplishments. It's also not solely about stats, which can be misleading, or raw talent or versatility or durability or efficiency or intelligence or competitiveness. This ranking tries to take into account everything that goes into being a really good basketball player. Is that subjective? Of course. We're not going to pretend we've come up with a rating formula (like some websites) that produces results any sentient fan knows are flawed. This is just one guy's opinion about who the top 10 players will be this season. -- John Galinsky

Next five: Amar'e Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Tim Duncan, Derrick Rose and Brandon Roy.

10. Dirk Nowitzki

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-10_20101019212929_600_400.JPG

Dirk's not quite as good as he was in his late 20s, when he was arguably a top-five player in the league. His defense and rebounding, never great to begin with, have slipped. (If Amar'e Stoudemire or Chris Bosh played better defense, they'd deserve this spot.) But he's still a devastating offensive weapon, a 7-footer who shoots a basketball as well as anyone in the world. Coming off his best season as a shooter, Nowitzki still has a lot left in the tank at the age of 32. He can't carry the Mavs to 67 wins or a conference title anymore, but he still makes Dallas dangerous on any given night.

9. Carmelo Anthony

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-9_20101019212929_600_400.JPGMelo has essentially turned his back on Denver's franchise, meaning it could be an awkward season for both player and team if the Nuggets don't trade him. But no matter where he is, Anthony will score points, lots and lots of points. He boasts arguably the most complete offensive arsenal in the game, from post moves to 3-pointers and everything in between. He's also a decent rebounder, passer and defender ... when he feels like it. Maybe a change of scenery would inspire him to raise the rest of his game.

8. Chris Paul

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-8_20101019212929_600_400.JPG

Of all the players on this list, Paul is in the worst situation. The Hornets, contenders three years ago, will be fortunate to make the playoffs this season. And while we're not holding that against him, Paul's enthusiasm and energy may be hard to maintain if New Orleans stinks and he's looking for a way out of town. Of more concern is the fact CP3 is coming off an injury-plagued season in which he missed 37 games. If he's healthy and happy -- two big ifs -- Paul can be an MVP candidate again.

7. Pau Gasol

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-7_20101019212929_600_400.JPG

The Lakers once traded Elmore Smith (and three others) for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant. But the Gasol swap with the Grizzlies (Pau in exchange for his brother Marc and a bunch of nothing) may eventually belong with those steal-of-a-deals in the annals of L.A. thievery. No way do the Lakers make three straight NBA Finals and win the last two championships without Pau, the league's best offensive big man. His skill set fits perfectly in the triangle offense and his personality meshes nicely with Kobe's. Even if they don't win another title together, it's a safe bet he'll never ask Kobe how his ass tastes.

6. Deron Williams

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-6_20101019212712_600_400.JPG

Williams surpassed Chris Paul as the NBA's best point guard last season, and not only because Paul was hurt. The knock on Williams was that he does everything well but nothing spectacularly. Yet he put the injury-riddled Jazz on his back in the second half of the season and dominated Chauncey Billups in the first round of the playoffs. Is he a dominant player who can carry a team to a title? Maybe not. (Though even dominant players need help to get a ring.) But he has no real holes in his game. How many players can you say that about?

5. Dwight Howard

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-5_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

With a lot more skill and a little more seriousness, Howard would be a truly great player, maybe the best in the NBA. That may come with age and maturity. After all, he's still only 24. But even now, you have to give Howard his due. He keeps himself in phenomenal shape, he plays every game and he dominates on defense like no player in the league. He also benefits from playing in an era of mediocre big men. Howard should be the league's best center for a long time. It's up to him to want more than that.

4. Kevin Duranthttp://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-4_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

Because of his play at the world championships on the heels of his NBA scoring title, Kevin Durant has joined the conversation for best basketball player on the planet. In some ways, that's deserving. He's already an incredible scoring machine, able to shoot over smaller defenders and draw fouls from bigger men. But in other ways it's premature. He still has a long way to go as a passer, rebounder and defender. Having just turned 22, the potential is there for greatness. But for now, the top three players on this list are more finished products and better all-around players. Next year, it may be a different story.

3. Dwyane Wade

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-3_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

He's now the second-best player on his team. He'll have to defer at times to LeBron James. And his health is a question mark after missing the preseason with a strained hamstring. But none of that should take away from the fact that Wade has been one of the NBA's very best players for six years now. And at 28, health permitting, he should be in his prime. How he meshes with LeBron and Chris Bosh remains to be seen. But after years of doing it all for the Heat , it's likely he'll welcome a somewhat reduced role. What Miami needs from him now, more than ever, is leadership. Any doubt he'll provide it?

2. Kobe Bryant

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-2_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

Kobe's legion of fans are adamant that the last two seasons have put him in his rightful place on top of the basketball world. That's true in so far as the best player on the championship team gets the ring and respect he deserves. But didn't those same fans argue that Kobe was the league's best player even when Tim Duncan was winning more titles and the Lakers couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs? Maybe he's been the best all along and the Finals MVPs are mere validation. We'll know that's true if the Lakers meet the Heat in the Finals and he outplays both Wade and LeBron.

1. LeBron James

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-1_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

LeBron needs to fire his management team, work on his post game, take fewer 3-pointers and win a damn title or seven. Then we can stop arguing what's been clear for several years. He's the most dominant player in the world, a basketball force of nature like few in league history. His offensive efficiency is off the charts. His D is catching up to his O. When he doesn't thoroughly impose his will on a game, it's a surprise. So much so, apparently, that he gets labelled a quitter or choker if it happens more than once in a playoff series. Even in Miami, it's unclear if his supporting cast can match Kobe's, but he's put himself in a much better position to succeed.

Venti Quattro
10-23-2010, 12:14 PM
OK Kobe fans troll mode on!

Ashy Larry
10-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Kobe sucks ...... he only has 1.3596 rings

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Though can ya imagine if Bryant were ringless?

tee, hee.

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
3-10 i have a problem with....

Purch
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Lmao? You mean 4-10?

Please I'd love to see how you have a problem with Wade at 3

Muser
10-23-2010, 02:54 PM
No problem with the list.

noob cake
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Kobe is not 2 this season, 3 at best.

Gasol is not better than Paul, CP, or Melo.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Lebron is # 1. Wade is # 2 and IMO Kobe is 3rd for this coming season, although that remains to be seen because his knee looks awefully toasted so far, but we've seen him go through a series of slump but he always find a way to be effective and play his absolute best in April and May.

The writer was reaching though, questioning Wade's health because of a hamstring injury in October.:rolleyes

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Many times hamstring injuries can linger for months.

hope, hope.

kamikazi_player
10-23-2010, 03:24 PM
No major problems with the list, Only I would move up Dirk ahead of Gasol and I think the list is fine.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Dirk would have none of it, Kam. He abhors confrontation.

tee, hee.

Fpoonsie
10-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I have no idea how Gasol is rated so high.

I'd have him and Dirk switch places, if not throw him outta tha mix altogether and bump the next one down.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Dirk insisted.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Gasol is deserving of that spot. The gap between Kobe and Gasol is probably at its closest this year with Gasol still at his prime while Kobe gracefully exits his peak. Gasol has already proven he was the Lakers most efficient player for the last 2 seasons and he is also their unquestionable best glass cleaner and defensive big man. Really, the only thing Kobe has over Gasol is FGA and Points per game.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
The gap between Kobe and Gasol is probably at its closest this year with Gasol still at his prime while Kobe gracefully exits his peak.

:lmaoThe entire might of NBA Forum/sans our Lakers Brethren gracefully jamming Bryant toward the light.

Fpoonsie
10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd rather have a 7-footer that can spread the floor, and let a defensive minded big man crash the offensive glass.

(lol Bonner)

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't hit a dog in ass with Dirk.

He's got a lot of people bamboozled. But, I ain't one of 'em.

xellos88330
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Top players of the season, I think this list makes sense.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Come on Giuseppe, you and I know that the only thing Kobe has over Gasol was extreme luck from day one. If Gasol was drafted by the Lakers since his rookie year and Kobe was stuck in Charlotte, you would be talking about Gasol on a different light.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, of course. Kobe has buttered my bread thru the years. I don't forget that. Ever.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, so we agree on that. You seem to be a sensible person. Here's an :toast to our meeting in June next year.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Boston will never permit it, LeHeat. And the league won't fix that match. No way. You'll have to earn that. Won't happen.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
:lol I guess we'll see. Boston's frontcourt does look intimidating on paper. I like your style Giuseppe, you're cooler than the other side of the pillow.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Yep, & Daddy is gonna come out, full blast, no f'in around.

I'm still in shock at Wallace retiring, leaving that money on the table. He hasn't put his papers in, so, before it's over he still may return.

mystargtr34
10-23-2010, 06:50 PM
I actually dont mind this list at all... not everyone is going to agree 100% on these sorts of things - but i think this guy got it pretty good.

AussieFanKurt
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
okay list, I'd put kobe before lecrab

J_Paco
10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I only disagree with Dirk being so high, he's too one-dimensional to still be considered a top 10 elite player, plus I'd switch Deron and Chris placement on the list. Paul still put up impressive numbers while missing 1/3 of the season.

AussieFanKurt
10-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I only disagree with Dirk being so high, he's too one-dimensional to still be considered a top 10 elite player, plus I'd switch Deron and Chris placement on the list. Paul still put up impressive numbers while missing 1/3 of the season.

Dirk is a very skilled player but I agree to an extent.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
If he were of color they'd a ate him alive a while back.

#2!
10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Can someone look at the picture of Lebron in the OP and explain to me why I shouldn't believe he's on steroids? A 25-26 year old with a giant head, the most incredible physique in sports, and he's balding?

I could be wrong, but I don't feel my doubts are unreasonable.

#2!
10-23-2010, 08:59 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/19/101910-NBA-gallery-1_20101019212608_600_400.JPG

We all know how giant this guy's arms and shoulders are, and yet his head looks almost oversized for his body.

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
^ Food for thought.

Ace
10-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Duncan didn't make it :cry

Ace
10-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Lebron is # 1. Wade is # 2 and IMO Kobe is 3rd for this coming season, although that remains to be seen because his knee looks awefully toasted so far, but we've seen him go through a series of slump but he always find a way to be effective and play his absolute best in April and May.

The writer was reaching though, questioning Wade's health because of a hamstring injury in October.:rolleyes

Preseason games matter, right?

AussieFanKurt
10-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Can someone look at the picture of Lebron in the OP and explain to me why I shouldn't believe he's on steroids? A 25-26 year old with a giant head, the most incredible physique in sports, and he's balding?

How much drug testing occurs in NBA. Or is LBJ immune to any tests as he's sterns lovechild

Ace
10-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Is that why Ginobili was balding so fast? :rolleyes

AussieFanKurt
10-23-2010, 10:51 PM

another fucking dumb post from Ace

#2!
10-23-2010, 10:51 PM

When he was 30 you mean? Great point:sleep

#2!
10-23-2010, 10:55 PM
How much drug testing occurs in NBA. Or is LBJ immune to any tests as he's sterns lovechild

I'm not sure, I know I never really hear about it like I do in almost every major sport. The only time I've ever heard of a player testing positive for anything was Rashard Lewis a year or so ago.

As to your other point, I'll avoid any comments on that since it puts me out of the realm of questioning, and into the indefensible position of conspiracy theorist.

Ace
10-23-2010, 11:02 PM
And this was such a brilliant post

Giuseppe
10-23-2010, 11:48 PM

At least when he's busy creating such he ain't being his usual rat self.

Ace
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
:lmao

You not getting past Boston, son.
Well aren't you just the wishful thinking one. Keep em tight Luva.

Pelicans78
10-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Anybody watch CP3 this preseason? No way he's a top 10 player right now. In fact:

Collison > D-Will > Pargo > CP3

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Well aren't you just the wishful thinking one. Keep em tight Luva.

Maybe so, but not for the reasons you think. Any true Laker fan finds it much more satisfying when they beat the Celtics...it's been a rivalry for over 50 years. We have no rivalry with the Heat, except for the media-created one (of course that could change in the next couple seasons). Tbqh this is Boston's last good shot at a title for the foreseeable future, so it would be fitting for the Lakers to tie Boston for all-time titles at their expense. Save the Heat for 2011-12, after our rivals are dead and gone.

Gutter92
10-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Pau should be no where near this list.
:rollin

keep dreamin homie

Ashy Larry
10-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Many times hamstring injuries can linger for months.

hope, hope.

Just ask Puke Walton ..... 11 million left for two years and all we get is a whopping 2 points and 2 rebounds? :depressed

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Anybody watch CP3 this preseason? No way he's a top 10 player right now. In fact:

Collison > D-Will > Pargo > CP3

Pre-season being the key word in this

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Luke Walton has a back (pinch nerve) injury. He's just milking all the money and fame he gets from being a Laker. I assure you guys, Wade is different.

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
I've always disliked Wade due to his arrogance but now that LBJ is there, I've forgotten about Wade. LeCrab's on a different level

hitmanyr2k
10-24-2010, 06:00 PM
I only disagree with Dirk being so high, he's too one-dimensional to still be considered a top 10 elite player.

Why does Kevin Durant get a pass? He's one dimensional as hell and no one is arguing about him being Top 5.

Giuseppe
10-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Luke Walton has a back (pinch nerve) injury. He's just milking all the money and fame he gets from being a Laker.

Nobody twisted the Lakers arm to give Walton that albatross of a contract. They've nobody to blame but themselves.

On the positive side of the situation: we should consider ourselves extremely fortunate that Walton has never cost anything but money. He's been a walking disaster since day one.

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Nobody twisted the Lakers arm to give Walton that albatross of a contract. They've nobody to blame but themselves.

On the positive side of the situation: we should consider ourselves extremely fortunate that Walton has never cost anything but money. He's been a walking disaster since day one.

Played a few alright games in his time

Jelloisjigglin
10-24-2010, 06:18 PM

That's a little extreme. He's done a solid job when healthy the problem is that's very rare now. I hate to say it but i hope he just retires. He would probably make a good coach..

ALVAREZ6
10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
I've always disliked Wade due to his arrogance but now that LBJ is there, I've forgotten about Wade. LeCrab's on a different level

You think Wade is arrogant? I think he's pretty reserved compared to most superstars that have the abilities he has..he actually seems to be a relatively humble guy.

TD 21
10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Why does Kevin Durant get a pass? He's one dimensional as hell and no one is arguing about him being Top 5.

Because he's elite of the elite at that one dimension. Nowitzki falls just short of that and as such, has no business being in the top ten over a player like Duncan, who, even at this stage in his career, is still a much better all around player. I've yet to hear a logical argument for how Nowitzki is better than Duncan.

Giuseppe
10-24-2010, 08:52 PM
That's a little extreme. He's done a solid job when healthy the problem is that's very rare now. I hate to say it but i hope he just retires. He would probably make a good coach..

We'd still be on the hook for the cap money whether he disavowed the cash, or, not.

When active he just scares me to death.

Greg Oden
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Because he's elite of the elite at that one dimension. Nowitzki falls just short of that and as such, has no business being in the top ten over a player like Duncan, who, even at this stage in his career, is still a much better all around player. I've yet to hear a logical argument for how Nowitzki is better than Duncan.

you think a clearly biases spurfan like yourself is objectively gonna look at a Dirk > Duncan argument without spewing out the same bullshit of Dirk playing no d like it's 2003? Get a grip.

TD 21
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
you think a clearly biases spurfan like yourself is objectively gonna look at a Dirk > Duncan argument without spewing out the same bullshit of Dirk playing no d like it's 2003? Get a grip.

Nowitzki is an average team defender and a sub par man defender. Don't act like he has an impact or a presence defensively.

Tell me, other than range shooting, what is Nowitzki superior to Duncan in?

Greg Oden
10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
How many Maverick games do you watch a year? And be honest, don't bump it up just so you don't wanna look like a dumbshit.

TD 21
10-24-2010, 10:05 PM
How many Maverick games do you watch a year? And be honest, don't bump it up just so you don't wanna look like a dumbshit.

You answer my questions first.

So you're saying Nowitzki is an impact defender and is well above average defensively? And you're calling me the "dumbshit"?

Nowitzki is a joke. He's a 7-footer with virtually none of the responsibilities of a 7-footer. On top of that, he choked away a championship. I don't give a shit how many meaningless regular season points he piles up or how many regular season game winners he hits over undersized defenders.

Greg Oden
10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Nowitzki is a joke.

one of the top 50 players ever, a joke :lol :lol sorry, but there's no need to further this conversation with you after that brilliant basketball take by yourself.

TD 21
10-24-2010, 10:12 PM
one of the top 50 players ever, a joke :lol :lol sorry, but there's no need to further this conversation with you after that brilliant basketball take by yourself.

Nice cop out.

I didn't say he wasn't talented or a future Hall-of-Famer, but that doesn't mean he's not a joke. I don't have nearly as much respect for him as a player as his stats should suggest one should.

James is the best player in the game today and I consider him a joke. There's no (for me, anyway) correlation between raw talent and whether I consider a player a joke.

Greg Oden
10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice cop out.

I didn't say he wasn't talented or a future Hall-of-Famer, but that doesn't mean he's not a joke. I don't have nearly as much respect for him as a player as his stats should suggest one should.

James is the best player in the game today and I consider him a joke. There's no (for me, anyway) correlation between raw talent and whether I consider a player a joke.

where do you see a cop out? you posted something really retarded and I let you know. I don't go up to mentally retarded people and start conversations just like I'd rather not listen to you spew off retarded takes.

TD 21
10-24-2010, 10:34 PM
where do you see a cop out? you posted something really retarded and I let you know. I don't go up to mentally retarded people and start conversations just like I'd rather not listen to you spew off retarded takes.

You took a random comment and ran with it, while evading the questions. Typical cop out.

Roddy Beaubois
10-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Believe.

Roddy Beaubois
10-24-2010, 11:18 PM
plus Duncan blows ass at defense nowadays as you can see by looking at my sig

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 11:21 PM
plus Duncan blows ass at defense nowadays as you can see by looking at my sig

one play doesn't epitomise someones current form unless your michael ruffin and you like chucking the ball up in the air to waste time

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
:(please love my Dirk:(..

#2!
10-24-2010, 11:59 PM

This is a copout. You criticized TD21's argument, then completely avoided participating in any actual discussion of the topic you claimed he was wrong about. You debate like a bitch.

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
crofl gray spurfans united.

Do you all think timvp noticed your gray army posts yet?

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:07 AM
:(please love my Dirk:(..

right as if LeBron's shaft scratching the inside of your throat isn't a shtick.

#2!
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
crofl gray spurfans united.

Do you all think timvp noticed your gray army posts yet?

You are such a useless poster. Do you brag to your friends about how you "piss off lame spurs fans online"? Saying "crofl" makes you look confident.

I can't believe he's just laughing! I tried my hardest to put him down, and he's just laughing at me!!!

dumbass

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
:lmao it doesn't? You can make the hall of fame and still be considered a joke?

yeah, case in point ---> David Robinson. Guy had a way worse resume as a #1 option than Dirk, shot just as many jumpshots too, despite being able to bench press a bus. A complete fuckin joke until Duncan came and lifted his ass out of the ashes where Ewing and Barkley were hanging out.

DeadlyDynasty
10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
You are such a useless poster. Do you brag to your friends about how you "piss off lame spurs fans online"? Saying "crofl" makes you look confident.

I can't believe he's just laughing! I tried my hardest to put him down, and he's just laughing at me!!!

dumbass

crofl

#2!
10-25-2010, 12:13 AM
crofl

following me now huh?

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Do you brag to your friends about how you "piss off lame spurs fans online"?

:lmao coming from a group of posters whose main purpose on ST is to get timvp to notice them.

crofl crofl crofl

DeadlyDynasty
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
following me now huh?

crofl

#2!
10-25-2010, 12:20 AM
:lmao coming from a group of posters whose main purpose on ST is to get timvp to notice them.

crofl crofl crofl

If being a bitch is what you like then congrats, you must be a very happy man. Enjoy continuing to post on a basketball website when you seemingly have no knowledge of the sport at all.

GeraldWallace
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Where the fuck am I?

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:36 AM
:cry please notice me :cry

#2!
10-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Seriously, someone please pay attention to me.

Greg Oden
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
your leader dare not poke his head into this forum, so take your gay ass back up top to the mouth breather section for better luck, tbh.

ALVAREZ6
10-25-2010, 12:53 AM
lol

#2!
10-25-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't really know where you got the whole timvp line, but its a good one. Good way to try and detract/distract from actual conversation.

Good trolling, now go get your treat from luva.

(see what I did there?)

hitmanyr2k
10-25-2010, 01:14 AM

Elite of the elite?!? WTF? :lol Durant lead the league in scoring for ONE freakin season and fell apart in the playoffs. How the hell does that equate to having an argument for Top 5 in the league? Durant is as one dimensional as you can get. If his jumper isn't falling he's not going to have any other effect on the game which is very similar to Dirk. Neither are playmakers. Neither have any kind of consistent impact defensively. I don't see how Dirk catches flack for this and is ousted from the Top 10 and then at the same time Durant gets a pass and gets bumped up to Top 5.

TD 21
10-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Elite of the elite?!? WTF? :lol Durant lead the league in scoring for ONE freakin season and fell apart in the playoffs. How the hell does that equate to having an argument for Top 5 in the league? Durant is as one dimensional as you can get. If his jumper isn't falling he's not going to have any other effect on the game which is very similar to Dirk. Neither are playmakers. Neither have any kind of consistent impact defensively. I don't see how Dirk catches flack for this and is ousted from the Top 10 and then at the same time Durant gets a pass and gets bumped up to Top 5.

Name five better scorers in the league than Durant?. You can debate the order, but I don't see how anyone can debate who the top five scorers in the league are (in no particular order): Anthony, Bryant, Durant, James, Wade.

Piece is a more complete scorer, but no longer has the energy or athleticism to dominate offensively on a consistent basis.

Typical. Any white can who can play and the masses rush to his defense. Never mind that he's one dimensional and a proven choke artist. He piles up meaningless regular season points and hits game winners in the regular season, so he must be great!

Roddy Beaubois, Duncan's mobility has limited his defensive impact, but he's still one of the elite defensive anchors in the league.

Greg Oden, I was unaware before that you were a troll. You have no credibility if you honestly believe Nowitzki is better than Robinson. Robinson, like Duncan, had Nowitzki beat in every category, save for range shooting.

Koolaid_Man
10-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm just glad that Kobe's has single-handedly caused Duncan's career to take a back seat...head to head Kobe's dominance over one Timmy G Duncan is well chronicled...I maintain that when it's all said and done...Kobe's Legacy will make Duncan a footnote in History... NO ONE WILL REMEMBER TIMMY....and if they do it will be just like the slogan...REMEMBER THE ALAMO...the only ones that remember that shit are the assholes in San Antonio... ;-)

Jt.ONE
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
i laugh at pau #7

zzz

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm just glad that Kobe's has single-handedly caused Duncan's career to take a back seat...head to head Kobe's dominance over one Timmy G Duncan is well chronicled...I maintain that when it's all said and done...Kobe's Legacy will make Duncan a footnote in History... NO ONE WILL REMEMBER TIMMY....and if they do it will be just like the slogan...REMEMBER THE ALAMO...the only ones that remember that shit are the assholes in San Antonio... ;-)

.. fucking idiotic statement to think he'll be forgotten. Somehow I don't think lovers on the NBA will forget 4 championships in 9 years to a city who'd never got there in the past..

Killakobe81
10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
LeBron needs to fire his management team, work on his post game, take fewer 3-pointers and win a damn title or seven. Then we can stop arguing what's been clear for several years. He's the most dominant player in the world, a basketball force of nature like few in league history. His offensive efficiency is off the charts. His D is catching up to his O. When he doesn't thoroughly impose his will on a game, it's a surprise. So much so, apparently, that he gets labelled a quitter or choker if it happens more than once in a playoff series. Even in Miami, it's unclear if his supporting cast can match Kobe's, but he's put himself in a much better position to succeed.

This. It is what i have been saying on here for years ...it's not hate. He just needs to win. Many subscribe to this theory. I do think he overrates his defense a bit in the article, because though improved, his defense is still way behind his offense unless we are talking about post-game. Lebron still has a chance at GOAT status over MJ ...but he needs to win, a lot and soon. No more excuses. Kobe should not be the standard, MJ still is. I have no problem with Lebron being the MVP over kobe or considered by most the better player ...he just needs to win before i go there. I dont care what anyone says on this topic ... rings matter in THIS discussion. And No, horry is NOT relevant. When debating the greats rings matter. it's why Duncan is >>> Dirk. Dirk has the same number of rings the gap narrows. Duncan is still better but the gap goes from huge to just a gap.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Duncan won't be forgotten, but, Bryant has been mercurial the last two seasons. He put a lot of his demons to rest. It's probably caused him very little if any respite from the voices, but, the alternative would have been untenable.

Bryant's search for contentment is futile and without end.

Duncan conversely never had to search. He was innately endowed.

hitmanyr2k
10-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Name five better scorers in the league than Durant?. You can debate the order, but I don't see how anyone can debate who the top five scorers in the league are (in no particular order): Anthony, Bryant, Durant, James, Wade.

We're not talking Top 5 scorers. We're talking Top 5 players. It's nice that Durant had one great scoring season. We have people saying Dirk is too one dimensional to be Top 10. What exactly does Durant do (besides scoring) that justifies him being Top 5?

Ashy Larry
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Duncan won't be forgotten, but, Bryant has been mercurial the last two seasons. He put a lot of his demons to rest. It's probably caused him very little if any respite from the voices, but, the alternative would have been untenable.

Bryant's search for contentment is futile and without end.

Duncan conversely never had to search. He was innately endowed.

And if America hates Kobe, he can just move to China and in a few years, end up ruling the US after we have to pay China back ....... which we won't

TD 21
10-25-2010, 06:43 PM
We're not talking Top 5 scorers. We're talking Top 5 players. It's nice that Durant had one great scoring season. We have people saying Dirk is too one dimensional to be Top 10. What exactly does Durant do (besides scoring) that justifies him being Top 5?

I said elite of the elite in terms of "that one dimension". The dimension I was referring to, of course, was scoring. Durant is unquestionably an elite scorer. Nowitzki falls just short of that. That was my primary reason for Durant being a top ten player and Nowitzki not being a top ten player. I didn't say there was a 25 spot gap or Durant had an elite of the elite all around game.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 06:58 PM
And if America hates Kobe, he can just move to China and in a few years, end up ruling the US after we have to pay China back ....... which we won't

Kobe won't live a long life.

LeHeat_Dynasty
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Durant is not better than Wade, Chris Paul or Deron Williams. The overrating of this kid is absurd. He'll get there, but right now I still view Durant as a one dimensional but bonafide Superstar athlete.

ALVAREZ6
10-25-2010, 07:33 PM

:lmao hysterical post

In what way has Kobe caused Duncan's career to take a back seat??? Duncan won't be remembered? By who, delusional Lakers fans who don't know much about basketball and pay attention in the playoffs?

Those people that know the game, i.e. true fans of the game, commentators and post-players won't forget Duncan. Obviously they won't because it's retarded to claim such a thing. How many people from the remaining category (everyone else) that remember Duncan well....who gives a fuck? Certainly not me or any other of the people in the 3 categories listed above. So this entire aspect of your post fails. Completely retarded.

I think the reasons why Kobe gets much more attention these days has to do with the following:
- He's younger and as a guard less hampered by his old age, compared to Duncan who's lost mobility and athleticism with age
- The Spurs have always been widely considered as boring with their playing style, obviously watching Kobe's game has more potential to attract fans
- There is always a story with the Lakers...Kobe and Shaq, two stars constantly counting rings and media obsessed with the whole story as it progresses, Kobe chasing MJs ring count, Lakers with many big transactions affecting media coverage during transaction and throughout the season (adding Gasol, Artest, etc.)
-Los Angeles is way bigger than San Antonio, and considering fan bases and media attention...this aspect is rather obvious

You're a retard. It's pretty unanimous amongst experts and ex-players that Duncan is one of the best big men ever.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 07:43 PM
....true, but, Duncan is in fart catcher mode now.

Ace
10-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Durant is not better than Wade, Chris Paul or Deron Williams. The overrating of this kid is absurd. He'll get there, but right now I still view Durant as a one dimensional but bonafide Superstar athlete.

Funny people cry about Wade getting to the line but Durant is a jump shooter who gets to the line more than anyone. He's got talent no doubt but he's overrated IMO.

ALVAREZ6
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Funny people cry about Wade getting to the line but Durant is a jump shooter who gets to the line more than anyone. He's got talent no doubt but he's overrated IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG-A_lfQlvI

We all know KG agrees :tu

Ashy Larry
10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Kobe won't live a long life.

breathing that Chinese air, he won't. That shit is ten times worse than Downtown L.A.