PDA

View Full Version : Classic Game: Spurs 117 - Lakers 120 (OT2) Nov. 6, 2003 [Videos]

MmP
10-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi all,

I've uploaded a full recap of a classic regular season game. In Nov. 6 2003, where the spurs though lost to the Lakers that game it was a fantastic one.
Very tough, no Tim, no TP. Just Manu in his sophomore year, Bruce, Rasho Nesterovic and Malik.

Manu was fantastic in that game. To this day, having seen probably 90% of his carreer I'd say this performance was by far his best overall. I remember finding out the next game and watching the box score with 33 points and going WOOOW :wow

33 pts 13 rebs 9 assist.

Remember, no TD nor TP. The Lakers had the fantastic four those days (Malone, Payton, Kobe and prime Shaq). And Manu was a nobody in those days, nobody knew him that much. Even during the broadcast Doug Collins finds himself saying "the more I watch this Ginobli, the more I fall in love with as a player".
Altough we lost I think it has a great value remember it and how tough it really was. Two OT's.

Don't be scared if you see some rare players in the Spurs jersey.

1. Jason Hart
2. Shane Heal
3. Anthony Carter
4. Hedo Turkoglu (WTF I almost forgot he was a spur back then it seems so rare)
5. Ron Mercer ??? Wow..

And the missed ones
1. Bruce
2. Malik
3. Rasho (He had a great start of the game then cooled off, altough he provided some great presence in the paint compared to some of late spur centers)

This is not the full game, it's a recap of the whole game divided in 4 parts. Most of the best it's in there, so have fun! :toast

pmBLBV0u_J0
EJzo77jgx7Y
zTj-TtG0J64
Part 4 is up!
7GRqnff5fng

Man In Black
10-24-2010, 01:11 AM
My 1st game ever at the then SBC Center. What an awesome game to witness. If only Manu made that last second 3 but...what a game!!!!

My 2nd game was their next one against the Mavs, that was a loss too, but like the LAL game, it was hotly contested. Thanks Manu AND Malik.

MmP
10-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Lucky you to be in that game. Manu had plenty of chances of finishing the Lakers that day. I think he ran out of gas.

Sean Cagney
10-24-2010, 02:46 AM
I remember this game forever Manu missed that jumper at the end which would have won it right? That game was a classic!!!!!!!!

NickiRasgo
10-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks for this. :D

mingus
10-24-2010, 03:06 AM
Manu has always played well when healthy against LA. it's 1-1 in the playoffs when that guy is healthy.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Manu has always played well when healthy against LA. it's 1-1 in the playoffs when that guy is healthy.

no doubt, it's not like LA was down 2 starters in the 2008-09 playoffs or anything...

As to the thread topic, I have no recollection of this game--and that sucks, cause this looked like a gem--but I hardly remember any regular season games now, outside of a handful of notable ones.

#2!
10-24-2010, 03:19 AM
Manu was/is an incredible player. Basketball HOFer.

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 03:24 AM
hahahaha shane heal, aussie bloke. dad and his basketball mates all hated him

lefty
10-24-2010, 03:36 AM
I remember that game

Manu had a nice between Kobe's legs assist for Horry

MaNu4Tres
10-24-2010, 03:50 AM
Wednesday....

:hungry:

MmP
10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
One the funniest moments of the game:
Gary Payton trashtalking Manu. Gary had to start the trashtalk weapon in order to slow Manu down. Lame gary, lame. :lol
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/465/paytonmanu.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/i/paytonmanu.jpg/)
Manu is kinda enjoying it. I remember asking Manu why did he keep talking with Payton knowing that he was going to be get a technical and he said that it made him feel important.:lol

MmP
10-24-2010, 10:36 AM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/1234/83879409.jpg (http://img264.imageshack.us/i/83879409.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Buck Harvey...:rolleyes

Dex
10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Man, I was so hyped up for this game and so disappointed when they didn't close it out. Going up against the Fab Four without Duncan and Parker, Manu really made a statement about his place on the team. I think this was definitely one of Ginobili's coming out parties, all leading up to the Super Manu that we would know and love in 2005.

arles
10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
DAMN travel

boutons_deux
10-24-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200311060SAS.html

nobody mentioned that Rasho stepped up in his 39 minutes. He didn't slow down Shaq, but he almost got a double-double.

xtremesteven33
10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Thats a Spurs/Lakers classic for sure...

Thanks for the upload :tu

Manu was killin the Lakers by himself btw One of his best performances

MmP
10-24-2010, 01:34 PM

nobody mentioned that Rasho stepped up in his 39 minutes. He didn't slow down Shaq, but he almost got a double-double.

yeah but he kinda disappeared after the first q. he started off great with 8 points and in the second half he kinda went francisco elson type of game.

if you see the whole game though he made a great job in the paint. he was a great presence back then. too bad he was useless in the offense.

silverblk mystix
10-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Nice highlights, I remember that game.

Notice how hard it is to beat the lakers-always a couple of gifts from the refs-like the kobe obvious travel and the right elbow across his body and to the face of rasho from Shaq. You always have to play perfect and be able to mentally ignore bad calls.

Malik seemed to always get under someone's skin -either Shaq or Malone in this game and , man, Bruce is just fuckin' irreplaceable.

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2010, 03:59 PM
i have never seen this game and as a hugh spur/manu fan i would like to see the whole game.. you dont have the whole game?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2010, 04:19 PM
That was when the fans really really began to love Manu Ginobili.

The entire SBC center was applauding his efforts.

Just one more proof of how god jacks off to the Lakers: At the end of regulation Manu had a baseline mid-range jumper that went in and out....woulda been a game winner. Gay ass phil jackson was right behind Manu with a look of disgust.

Manu ran out of gas that game really bad in the 2nd OT.

But what a heroic legendary performance by Manu.

Also IIRC jason fucking hart walked the ball up the court and got a violation for not bringin it past half court in OT. Pop was completely flabbergasted, never quite trusted Hart again after that game.

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
im watching this right now for the first time and WOW! dude is just all over the place, and this is his second year in the league noone knows who he is and he is just making HOFers look foolish.

mingus
10-24-2010, 04:43 PM
no doubt, it's not like LA was down 2 starters in the 2008-09 playoffs or anything...

does this change the fact that when Manu is healthy the Lakers are 1-1 with the Spurs in the playoffs? no, it doesn't.

this is just one of the many great performances that Manu has had against LA. he was a monster in the last meeting of the season b/w these two teams last season.

MmP
10-24-2010, 04:58 PM
i have never seen this game and as a hugh spur/manu fan i would like to see the whole game.. you dont have the whole game?

I do, but I don't know if it's legal but you can download it with torrents. Otherwise just PM and we'll see.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
That 2004 Lakers team was such a fucking joke too.

The bull shit Lakers-biased refs let Karl Malone practically punch and kick Duncan when defending him, they needed 0.4 to beat us, and had Troy Hudson not got hurt in the second round the Timberwolves would have obliterated that Lakers team.

Minnesota was the best team in the west that year IMO, and a healthy wolves team vs that pistons squad would have been an AWESOME finals.

Course I still think we could have given Minny a run for their money, they wouldn't have got pampered by the refs like LA.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
That 2004 Lakers team was such a fucking joke too.

The bull shit Lakers-biased refs let Karl Malone practically punch and kick Duncan when defending him, they needed 0.4 to beat us, and had Troy Hudson not got hurt in the second round the Timberwolves would have obliterated that Lakers team.

Minnesota was the best team in the west that year IMO, and a healthy wolves team vs that pistons squad would have been an AWESOME finals.

Course I still think we could have given Minny a run for their money, they wouldn't have got pampered by the refs like LA.

those big meanies! :cry:cry:cry

emanueldavidginobili
10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I do, but I don't know if it's legal but you can download it with torrents. Otherwise just PM and we'll see.

sent you a PM

MmP
10-24-2010, 05:28 PM
In the end I think LA got with the win because Minnie was hugely inexperienced in that stage of the PO. Otherwise it would have been tougher for LA.

Watching this game again makes me realize Malone and Payton combo was pretty much useless. Just good passers, that's why Pistons won it all. I really enjoyed those Finals.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
In the end I think LA got with the win because Minnie was hugely inexperienced in that stage of the PO. Otherwise it would have been tougher for LA.

Watching this game again makes me realize Malone and Payton combo was pretty much useless. Just good passers, that's why Pistons won it all. I really enjoyed those Finals.

I'm sure you enjoyed the 2008 Finals too. I rooted for the Spurs in 03, 05, and 07, and the Mavs in 06, because they were the WC representative. But hey, I also don't have an inferiority complex when it comes to our rival WC team, unlike some fans I know...

MmP
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
I really did enjoy all those finals you mention. But that 2004 Piston team to me it was great, really balanced and more fun to watch. Rasheed, Ben, Prince locking Kobe, Rip and Chauncey. I was pretty happy to them defeat the most talk about team in the league, and by far playing as a team. 2004 was fun.
I couldn't stand Payton stupid little face either and right after that finals Shaq took off the hell outta LA.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I really did enjoy all those finals you mention. But that 2004 Piston team to me it was great, really balanced and more fun to watch. Rasheed, Ben, Prince locking Kobe, Rip and Chauncey. I was pretty happy to them defeat the most talk about team in the league, and by far playing as a team. 2004 was fun.
I couldn't stand Payton stupid little face either and right after that finals Shaq took off the hell outta LA.

Correction, Mitch sent his ass packing. I was admittedly pissed at the time, but in hindsight it was w/o question the right move. We'd be the Spurs right now if we held onto Shaq

MmP
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Yep, pretty much although Shaq's decline came really fast. His last good season was 04/05

dunkman
10-24-2010, 10:48 PM
DAMN travel

That was ridiculous. Kobe took 3 steps with the game 117:117, few seconds to go.

Rasho always played well when Duncan was out.

Sean Cagney
10-24-2010, 10:55 PM
yeah but he kinda disappeared after the first q. he started off great with 8 points and in the second half he kinda went francisco elson type of game.

if you see the whole game though he made a great job in the paint. he was a great presence back then. too bad he was useless in the offense.

Yep he did dissapear, he was soft as hell thats probably why nobody mentions him because Manu broke out then and this was one of Rasho's best games and after that not much but here or there.

Manu was sick in this game! He was definitely a player and proved it to us.
Correction, Mitch sent his ass packing. I was admittedly pissed at the time, but in hindsight it was w/o question the right move. We'd be the Spurs right now if we held onto Shaq

You would be worse than the Spurs right now. But you guys might have won another one or two with him there? Maybe maybe not.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Yep he did dissapear, he was soft as hell thats probably why nobody mentions him because Manu broke out then and this was one of Rasho's best games and after that not much but here or there.

Manu was sick in this game! He was definitely a player and proved it to us.

You would be worse than the Spurs right now. But you guys might have won another one or two with him there? Maybe maybe not.

We "might" have won in 04-05, but that's it...and even then Shaq, Payton, and Malone would all be a year older and the Spurs and Pistons were the same if not better. Good move by Mitch. It was an unpopular one, but that's why they get paid the big bucks--to make the big decisions for your team.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2010, 11:09 PM

???????????

The emergence of Troy Hudson was the main reason the TWolves reached a new level. He got hurt in the 2nd round played entire WCF on one leg.

Sean Cagney
10-24-2010, 11:35 PM
We "might" have won in 04-05, but that's it...and even then Shaq, Payton, and Malone would all be a year older and the Spurs and Pistons were the same if not better. Good move by Mitch. It was an unpopular one, but that's why they get paid the big bucks--to make the big decisions for your team.

I agree........ I think the Spurs would have won it regardless in 05 but this is a damn good post. No Gasol then nor any other titles sides maybe one more they squeak in (06 I am thinking over Dallas and then Miami, but miami would not be there so Pistons I am guessing IF they beat them!). Good call, they did the right thing then.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Damn, I remember this game like it was yesterday--the part where they panned to Tim Duncan's face late in the game and you could just see the look in his eyes still gives me chills. Has it really been 7 years?