PDA

View Full Version : Iverson agrees to contract with Besiktas of Turkish League

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtsJRpApMGDZhbxPfBq1WqS8vLYF?slug=ys-iversonturkey102410

Iverson plans to sign deal to play in Turkey

By Marc J. Spears
and Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Allen Iverson(notes) has agreed in principle to sign an incentive-laden, two-year, $4 million contract with Besiktas of the Turkish professional league, sources told Yahoo! Sports on Sunday night.

Iverson plans to sign the contract this week, the sources said, and is expected to report to Besiktas the week of Oct. 31.

Iverson’s contract will give him an opt-out clause after this season. There’s no escape clause during the season for Iverson to leave Turkey and return to the NBA.

Iverson, 35, could make his debut for Besiktas on Nov. 6 in a game against Bornova. Besiktas played its first game of the season on Oct. 19 and is 1-1 in league standings.

Iverson has solicited more lucrative offers to play in China this season, but has been intrigued with the prospects of playing in Istanbul. After controversial exits with his last three franchises – Detroit, Memphis and Philadelphia – Iverson exhausted interest from NBA teams. Despite averaging 26.7 points in his 14-year NBA career, Iverson ran out of opportunities in the league.

Besiktas is considered third among the three most powerful franchises in the Turkish first division. The club has a strong following, and team officials believe Iverson could be an immense gate draw.

Donkeybong
10-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Surprised he couldnt get into Spanish or Greek league

dbreiden83080
10-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Why doesn't he just retire??

Is he broke??

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2010, 09:23 PM
It's sad how he has to go play overseas, just so he doesn't have to come off the bench in the NBA:lol..

Venti Quattro
10-24-2010, 09:23 PM
KBP will have a field day if he reads this

ezzizle
10-24-2010, 09:35 PM
all he gets is 4 million lol?
he'll be the new michael jordan of turkey.

xtremesteven33
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Props to A.I :tu

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 09:49 PM
It's sad how he has to go play overseas, just so he doesn't have to come off the bench in the NBA:lol..

From what I've heard he wasn't even offered a bench job. Who wants an upper 30's chucker who's a lockerroom cancer and malcontent?

HarlemHeat37
10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
From what I've heard he wasn't even offered a bench job. Who wants an upper 30's chucker who's a lockerroom cancer and malcontent?

That's the point though..

I don't think the "chucker" part is an issue, but the fact that he's a cancer that can't accept a bench role is pretty sad..

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 09:59 PM
That's the point though..

I don't think the "chucker" part is an issue, but the fact that he's a cancer that can't accept a bench role is pretty sad..

He's just wired that way, but yeah it's pretty sad. He's had good teachers along the way too: John Thompson, Larry Brown, George Karl. The dude just never got it.

MmP
10-24-2010, 10:01 PM
this is what pride makes to a player

xtremesteven33
10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Iverson is true to himself. Always has been and seemingly always will be. Good or bad, not alot of NBA players are that way anymore.

Some players care more about their personal legacy and reputation rather than success.

ALVAREZ6
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Why doesn't he just retire??

Is he broke??

Cus he just wants to play...and since he's too stubborn to accept a small contract and play as bench playe in the NBA. Overseas he'll get the playing time he wants, and that's really what it is...just wants to play, isn't broke.

benefactor
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
It's sad it has to come to this for him. It's a damn shame that someone that is so talented and such a basketball icon could not get over himself enough to continue to play in the NBA. He could still be an impact player in this league.

xtremesteven33
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Where was his success?

Im saying he sacrificed success for personal reasons. Whatever they may be. Just because someone doesn't play for an NBA team in America doesn't make him a bad person.

He doesn't bitch about it and he doesn't lie. He says who he is, how it is, all the time. Like him or not, he is who he is. Truth is,Nobody really knows why he is not playing in the NBA right now. His story isn't being covered by any major news outlet from what I'm aware of.

BRHornet45
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
sons this hood rat has made over $154 million throughout his career in salary alone and it is estimated that he has earned in the area of $25 million in endorsements throughout his career as well. those numbers after taxes, agents, etc. would have him clearing well over $100 million ... however, like most idiotic professional athletes he blew most of his money on bullshit. Celebritynetworth.com estimates his current net worth at only $20 million. Now of course that is a shitload of money and he is far from broke, but he should be worth at least 4 or 5 times that considering he has made at least $175 million + throughout his career. idiotic personal and business decisions.

Iverson has always been flashy with his money and traveled with a huge entourage. I don't have a link, but I specifically remember one site mentioning that at one point Iverson was paying members in his entourage north of $100,000 each annually ... when you have a dozen or so leeches like that, you're talking a million plus dollars every year on bullshit.

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
sons this hood rat has made over $154 million throughout his career in salary alone and it is estimated that he has earned in the area of $25 million in endorsements throughout his career as well. those numbers after taxes, agents, etc. would have him clearing well over $100 million ... however, like most idiotic professional athletes he blew most of his money on bullshit. Celebritynetworth.com estimates his current net worth at only $20 million. Now of course that is a shitload of money and he is far from broke, but he should be worth at least 4 or 5 times that considering he has made at least $175 million + throughout his career. idiotic personal and business decisions.

Iverson has always been flashy with his money and traveled with a huge entourage. I don't have a link, but I specifically remember one site mentioning that at one point Iverson was paying members in his entourage north of $100,000 each annually ... when you have a dozen or so leeches like that, you're talking a million plus dollars every year on bullshit.

It's the MC Hammer story all over again

AussieFanKurt
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
hopefully he comes off the bench

duncan228
10-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Updated.

Iverson: ‘My whole thing was being wanted’ (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-iverson-turkey)
By Dave Skretta

LeBron James and Chris Bosh headed for South Beach, while Amare Stoudemire decided to star on Broadway.

Allen Iverson? He’s headed for Turkey.

“My whole thing was being wanted, being accepted by a ballclub. That was the most important thing,” the former NBA MVP said Friday, after signing a $4 million, two-year contract with Turkish club Besiktas during a news conference at the upscale St. Regis Hotel in Manhattan.

“I had a great time playing in the NBA. Who knows if I ever will again?” Iverson said. “But I wanted to show everybody I can play at a high level, not just the NBA.”

The 11-time All-Star waited all offseason for an NBA team to come calling, though none ever did. So while the Miami Heat stocked up with star power, and the Knicks added some front-line muscle, Iverson told his manager, Gary Moore, to begin looking at other leagues.

He ultimately decided the Istanbul-based club was the best fit.

“I feel like it’s a fresh start for me, and I just thank all these guys for giving me the opportunity,” Iverson said, “a chance to get back on track with my basketball career.”

Iverson is 17th on the NBA’s career scoring list with 24,368 points, winning the MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the finals. He spent 10 seasons in Philadelphia before bouncing through Denver and Detroit, ending up in Memphis last season.

He only played three games before returning for a second stint with the Sixers, where he averaged 13.9 points in 25 games. He took a leave of absence toward the end of the season to deal with some family matters, which he said Thursday have been resolved.

“If those situations weren’t better at this point in time, there’s no way I would have made this decision,” he said. “It was hard the last couple years to concentrate on basketball.”

Iverson mostly blamed himself that no NBA teams were willing to give him a shot.

One of the most instinctive scoring guards in league history, Iverson’s prolific talent was offset by numerous run-ins with coaches and team officials, including his infamous “We’re talking about practice” diatribe directed toward former Sixers coach Larry Brown. He’s also had several legal problems that landed him on probation.

“A lot of not being on an NBA roster is my fault,” Iverson said. “I made a lot of mistakes in my life that I’m not proud of, but I have to move on.”

Wearing a black New York Yankees cap and decked out in diamonds Thursday, Iverson almost seemed to be forcing a smile as he held up a Besiktas jersey along with team owner Yildirim Demiroren and executive board member Seref Yalcin. Dozens of members of the Turkish media took photographs while Turkish music pounded inside the small hotel ballroom.

Just about the only thing familiar was the No. 3 on the jersey.

Iverson will begin play with his new team the week of Nov. 8, in a home arena that seats about 4,500 fans for a club that hasn’t won the Turkish league since 1975.

The only other American on the roster is Mire Chatman, who played in college for Texas Pan-American, though Australian center A.J. Ogilvy recently finished his career at Vanderbilt. The rest of the team is made up of players from Turkey, Russia and other Eastern European nations.

“As far as I know, Allen is the first and greatest player to have a career in the NBA and come to Europe to play in Turkey,” Demiroren said through a translator. “I hope this contract will be wonderful for both sides.”

At least as long as it lasts.

Iverson said he still believes he can play in the NBA and hopes his performance in Europe will entice a franchise—any franchise—to give him another chance next season.

He also said he’d be lying if he thought 10 years ago that he’d ever be playing in Turkey.

“The NBA has been great for me, I made a ton of money, I can take care of my family for the rest of my life and the rest of their life. The NBA has been great,” he said. “I don’t even know what my role is going to be, and that’s the part that’s exciting as much as anything, having the chance to go in with a bunch of guys and help out and win some basketball games.”

Kenny Powers
10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I've played for a lot of teams in my day. Some I loved. Some I really fuckin hated. Not gonna name names, but let's just say Los Angeles can tongue kiss my shithole.

Kobayagi
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Iverson arrived to Turkey

http://www.zurnal24.si/images/06/75/580675/article_main_wide.jpg?1289246656

The look on his face is priceless.

FailureNotAnOption
11-08-2010, 04:39 PM
How the mighty have fallen.

I agree with Duncan228's article reposting, that it's funny seeing the former MVP and world beater "taking his talents to South Europe." (or nwest Asia, for you geography sticklers.) Being wanted was not the issue; fitting in to what everyone wanted was.

Pero
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
He looks like he got arrested. :lol

DAF86
11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I give him four months max.

Giuseppe
11-08-2010, 05:20 PM
He's probably crying in his Hilton room as we speak.

I know I would be.

pauls931
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM

This is probably my favorite BR post ever.:toast

Giuseppe
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
This is probably my favorite BR post ever.:toast

Yep, classic BR. Stoic, centered, focused. It do not get better than that.

Slomo
11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/AI_Express.jpg

DeadlyDynasty
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/AI_Express.jpg

http://kaiser.dreamhost.com/OT_stuff/oh_billy.jpg

duncan228
11-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Allen Iverson says he’s not ready, Turkey debut delayed (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/allen-iverson-says-he%e2%80%99s-not-ready-turkey-debut-delayed/)
Kurt Helin

Iverson was supposed to debut for Istanbul’s Besiktas in Turkey on Friday, bringing his unique brand of American isolation basketball to the backwards, ball-sharing Europeans. Enlightening them.

But not so fast, he’s not ready, according to the Associated Press (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5796764).

Team manager Murat Murtezaoglu told The Associated Press the 11-time NBA All-Star “did not feel ready” to play Friday and instead watched from the stands as his new team beat Oyak Renault 87-81.

Murtezaoglu said he expects Iverson to make his debut at Besiktas’ European Cup home game against Hemofarm Stada on Tuesday.

Murtezaoglu needs to learn to be careful of expectations.

Pistons < Spurs
11-16-2010, 12:50 PM
@chernykh
Iverson's first shot in Europe - off the dribble fadeaway miss. No teammate touched the ball on that play

Iverson started the game 0-for-3 and was benched after 5:31 in the first quarter. Has 2 rebs and 1 ast though. Besiktas leads 17:9 now

duncan228
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Rumors surfacing that Iverson wants out of Turkey. He denies it. (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/04/rumors-surfacing-that-iverson-wants-out-of-turkey-he-denies-it/)
Kurt Helin

UPDATE 10:00 pm: Iverson on his twitter account denies these rumors, saying he is enjoying the experience and building good chemistry with his teammates.

What else is he going to say? You can choose to believe whatever you wish here, the “answer” will come with his actions soon enough.

9:30 pm: What was the under/over on Allen Iverson lasting in Turkey? A month?

Rumors are already circulating in international basketball circles and on the Web sites that follow it — such as Sportando (http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/turkey/18187/allen_iverson_ready_to_leave_besiktas.html) — that Iverson is unhappy playing for Besiktas and wants out.

It’s hard to know the reality on the ground from half the globe away, but would that really surprise anyone? He reportedly doesn’t like the chemistry between the club and the fans and has received criticism for his play.

Iverson has averaged 12.3 points, 1.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists through three games. He is shooting 35.7 percent. Iverson, one of the kings of low-efficiency isolation basketball, was always a questionable fit in the European style of play. But he had no choice as no NBA team would take a shot on him after his performances on the court and in the locker room (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/27/the-time-lionel-hollins-stood-up-to-allen-iverson/) for both Memphis and Philadelphia last season.

No idea how this plays out, he may well stay in Istanbul, but this European adventure flaming out quickly would surprise nobody.

Agloco
12-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Dude either has some major love for the game or hes got serious financial issues.

Agloco
12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Iverson arrived to Turkey

http://www.zurnal24.si/images/06/75/580675/article_main_wide.jpg?1289246656

The look on his face is priceless.

Man o man........

He's probably crying in his Hilton room as we speak.

I know I would be.

This about covers it. :lol