PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the insecure Kobe/Duncan bashing...

TDfan2007
10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
These two are the absolute best to do it since Jordan retired. So why don't we just quit with the insecure comparisons/bashing and appreciate them as the best perimeter player and best big man of their generation?

In my (heavily biased) opinion Tim is the better overall player, but not by much, and I can see arguments for Kobe. Any Spurs fans that were around pre 2003 should know that it was Kobe, not Shaq who absolutely slaughtered the Spurs in 2001 and 2002. Tim outplayed Shaq in both series, but Kobe took a big doo doo all over our perimeter players in those two series.

In game 4 of the 2004 series, with the Spurs up at halftime and one their way to a 3-1 series lead, Kobe went nuts again and led LA to a comeback win. He was also huge in the 4th of game 5 (he hit the go ahead shot before Tim's miraculous shot).

In 2008, with Pau getting owned by Tim, Kobe was basically a one-man wrecking crew and made Bruce, a gimpy Manu, and Ime look silly.

As a Spurs fan, Kobe has earned my respect because, frankly, he's pretty much the only guy aside from Dirk who could consistently stick it to the Spurs in Tim's prime.

These guys are the best. Appreciate them, because when they're gone we'll be left with...Lecrab, Carmelo Anthony, and an offensively retarded one dimensional dominant big man (Dwight Howard).

Ghazi
10-24-2010, 09:38 PM
cool story, bro

Koolaid_Man
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
These two are the absolute best to do it since Jordan retired. So why don't we just quit with the insecure comparisons/bashing and appreciate them as the best perimeter player and best big man of their generation?

In my (heavily biased) opinion Tim is the better overall player, but not by much, and I can see arguments for Kobe. Any Spurs fans that were around pre 2003 should know that it was Kobe, not Shaq who absolutely slaughtered the Spurs in 2001 and 2002. Tim outplayed Shaq in both series, but Kobe took a big doo doo all over our perimeter players in those two series.

In game 4 of the 2004 series, with the Spurs up at halftime and one their way to a 3-1 series lead, Kobe went nuts again and led LA to a comeback win. He was also huge in the 4th of game 5 (he hit the go ahead shot before Tim's miraculous shot).

In 2008, with Pau getting owned by Tim, Kobe was basically a one-man wrecking crew and made Bruce, a gimpy Manu, and Ime look silly.

As a Spurs fan, Kobe has earned my respect because, frankly, he's pretty much the only guy aside from Dirk who could consistently stick it to the Spurs in Tim's prime.

These guys are the best. Appreciate them, because when they're gone we'll be left with...Lecrab, Carmelo Anthony, and an offensively retarded one dimensional dominant big man (Dwight Howard).

aye...say mane look-a-here...Tell Duncan that Gasol got a message for him...Timmy bout to get locked up...there's a new Sheriff in town...and he's kicking ass and taking names... if any of you cats willing to be deputized just holla at Kool...and we can make it happen...:toast

D69wCbskylg

Roddy Beaubois
10-24-2010, 11:22 PM
:lmao TDfan2007s sig is classic generic spurfan

Giuseppe
10-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Kool is our Number One.

That's it, and that's all.

Kool Aid Man

DeadlyDynasty
10-24-2010, 11:34 PM

spurs=class

TDfan2007
10-25-2010, 12:08 AM
cool story, bro

Nice to see another Persian in the forum :)

But yeah it was a pretty cool story, huh?

GeraldWallace
10-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Man, Tim Duncan is a man I'd rather play with

Koolaid_Man
10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Man, Tim Duncan is a man I'd rather play with

hmmmm..I bet you would....:lol putting ya business out there like dat...:lol

FkTL
10-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Nice to see another Persian in the forum :)

But yeah it was a pretty cool story, huh?
your gonna have a team of gazis soon. http://www.vfb-sport-shop.de/$WS/vfb-stuttgart/websale7_shop-vfb-stuttgart/benutzer/templates/images/startseite/en_teaser-neue_trikots.jpg

Rummpd
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Shaq Kobe and Duncan are all true and multi-championship validated superstars and among the very best to ever play in their at their respective positions. 13 titles among them is pretty *&%^ impressive and they jointly dominated the decade of the 90s.

Starting a team I would also take Duncan over either Shaq or Kobe. It would be a harder choice to not take Shaq in his prime than Kobe as Shaq just could just dominate teams forcing double and triple teams (as did Duncan moreso than Kobe ever did). The fact is either Duncan or Shaq dominated the NBA more than Kobe in regards to pure value to their team by becoming most of the time the primary person to stop by the opposition defense drawing multiple double and triple teams.. Moreover, Duncan in his prime was also an interior defensive beast and Shaq at least filled the lane with his shear size (and could defend well when motivated); but Kobe is still also in the class of the highest etchelons of NBA players ever and also was and is a fine defender in his own right. All three are simply all time greats at the end of the day.

Veterinarian
10-25-2010, 09:46 AM

I can't remember the last time spur fan used the flag emoticon without looking retarded.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The problem is that Duncan has now started down the other side of the mountain. When this happens to athletes (like Daddy) they diminish severely what they have set forth on the way up that same mountain. Their greed for the money coupled with their vanity for the adulation is a caustic recipe that is plain & ugly.

Rummpd
10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
The problem is that Duncan has now started down the other side of the mountain. When this happens to athletes (like Daddy) they diminish severely what they have set forth on the way up that same mountain. Their greed for the money coupled with their vanity for the adulation is a caustic recipe that is plain & ugly.

? Duncan has never been about stats or adulation ?

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Sure, that's marching orders & talking points outta Media, but, he puts his pants on one leg at a time just like the next guy. He had his people designate his on court positioning so he wouldn't get his hands dirty doing it. C'mon, he's as vain & aware as the next NBA SOB.

picc84
10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Shaq Kobe and Duncan are all true and multi-championship validated superstars and among the very best to ever play in their at their respective positions. 13 titles among them is pretty *&%^ impressive and they jointly dominated the decade of the 90s.

Starting a team I would also take Duncan over either Shaq or Kobe. It would be a harder choice to not take Shaq in his prime than Kobe as Shaq just could just dominate teams forcing double and triple teams (as did Duncan moreso than Kobe ever did). The fact is either Duncan or Shaq dominated the NBA more than Kobe in regards to pure value to their team by becoming most of the time the primary person to stop by the opposition defense drawing multiple double and triple teams.. Moreover, Duncan in his prime was also an interior defensive beast and Shaq at least filled the lane with his shear size (and could defend well when motivated); but Kobe is still also in the class of the highest etchelons of NBA players ever and also was and is a fine defender in his own right. All three are simply all time greats at the end of the day.

At the same time, can you imagine Tony Parker ever winning a finals mvp playing on a team with Shaq?

howbouthemspurs
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Duncan doesn't care about anything but winning. He doesn't care about his image or what people think of him. People respect him because he leads by example. He's a man of few words but he exudes wisdom.

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
"At the same time, can you imagine Tony Parker ever winning a finals mvp playing on a team with Shaq?"

Or, being on top?

Giuseppe
10-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Duncan doesn't care about anything but winning. He doesn't care about his image or what people think of him. People respect him because he leads by example. He's a man of few words but he exudes wisdom.

He did make an exception with his on court position though, Bout. He & They like to portend that's he's something beyond the pale, but, he's no better than the next vain asshole.