PDA

View Full Version : The Bucks are the Bizzaro-Spurs

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2010, 04:05 AM
Consider the following:

(1) the Spurs are a small market team with a logo based around the theme of riding four-legged herbivores; the Bucks are a small market team with a logo that is a four-legged herbivore…

(2) the Spurs drafted a fantastic young point guard from France who helped to take the franchise to another level; the Bucks drafted a similarly impacting young point guard from Italy (kinda) who took their franchise to another level…

(3) the Spurs have a good-crazy swingman from Argentina who plays basketball like it's jazz music; the Bucks have an evil-crazy (and not quite as good) swingman from Argentina who plays basketball like it's speed metal - Delfino is Bizarro-Manu, you know it as well as I do…

(4) the Spurs are anchored by an old-school pivot-man with little in the way of leap, but a silky touch and an incredible feeling for the game; the Bucks are anchored by a similarly fundamental centre with great instincts*, only he plays in longish hair with the opposite hand and comes from the Antipodes…

(5) the Spurs have a cranky disciplinarian coach who is a genius at getting players to sublimate their egos and work together, as well as proven a proven ability to do it in one organisation for a long time; the Bucks have a cranky disciplinarian coach who is a genius at getting players to work together but they hate him for it and he generally gets fired within a few years…

and that's just for starters! :wow

The Bucks are the Bizarro-Spurs, or it certainly looks that way! I’m not entirely sure that they are evil though, in the same way that not everything that is bizarre is bad. After all, they are trying really hard to model their franchise on us by the looks of it, like most of the rest of the NBA. ;)

*and no, before you get your knickers in a twist I am NOT comparing the full careers of Duncan and Bogut, nor suggesting that they are even in the same ballpark at this point - I'm talking only about their impact on the court right now.

PS I once took basketball very seriously and heavily participated in the serious technical discussion on SpursTalk. Sometimes, I still enjoy that, especially in the game threads, but most of my contributions in the forum will probably be on the lighter side from now on. Why? I think because I take most of life so seriously that I need at least a few things I can treat lightheartedly. Hopefully, occasionally I'll write something that is amusing. :smokin

Booharv
10-25-2010, 05:18 AM
The bizarro world in comic books is the exact opposite of the real world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_world

buttsR4rebounding
10-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Oh please let the season start so we can bizarro read these bizarro insightful posts...

Maddog
10-25-2010, 06:32 AM
The Spurs have had two #1 overall picks 10 years apart and drafted two Hall of famers
The Bucks had two #1 overall picks 11 years apart and drafted Bogut and Glen Robinson

twilo73
10-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Although the spurs are a much better team they are similar I will give you that. Not a bad post to read. But I would call them the ALTERNATE spurs and not the bizzaro ones.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2010, 06:44 AM
The bizarro world in comic books is the exact opposite of the real world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_world

Technically, in the world of comics from which the term originates, I'm sure you are correct, although "exactly" opposite is impossible (eg. what is the exact opposite of gravity? Anti-gravity/repulsion). See reply 3.

I was using the term more generally and less comic-book-world accurately.

The Spurs have had two #1 overall picks 10 years apart and drafted two Hall of famers
The Bucks had two #1 overall picks 11 years apart and drafted Bogut and Glen Robinson

Nice! :lol

Although the spurs are a much better team they are similar I will give you that. Not a bad post to read. But I would call them the ALTERNATE spurs and not the bizzaro ones.

True, but the word "Bizarro" is a lot more fun than "alternate" isn't it? Also, see reply 1.

Spursfanfromafar
10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
You could call them the most poor man's Spurs.. although the comparisons are mostly stretched or irrelevant.

In my opinion, the team that most closely models itself on the Spurs are the Thunder. In the attitude of its players; their emphasis on defence; in the importance given to together-ness, character on and off the court besides the small town mentality. Only their lead player - while he shares all good attributes as does Tim Duncan -is a superb scorer who has captured the imagination of the USA after leading his country to a World Cup win almost singlehandedly. Tim Duncan is a Spur fan's delight, not so much an All-US favorite, for he hasn't quite stoked American nationalism as Durant has.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2010, 07:06 AM
although the comparisons are mostly stretched or irrelevant

Oh, for fucksake, I was having a laugh, which I stated. Of course the comparisons are "stretched"! I'm not writing for the Wall Street Journal. :rolleyes :lol

Ryvin1
10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
And somehow when they play us, even when they are horrible, we would have a hard time besting them, most times I would say it would be a Spurs loss.

wontstartdumbthreads
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
One of my fondest memories was at Hemisfair when Syndey Moncreif did a Statue of Liberty 360 and then when he landed, ate a handfull of my popcorn and screamed at the crowd "what up bitches?".

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
One of my fondest memories was at Hemisfair when Syndey Moncreif did a Statue of Liberty 360 and then when he landed, ate a handfull of my popcorn and screamed at the crowd "what up bitches?".

:lmao

BronxCowboy
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Not true. Read the reference you linked to. All of the elements in Bizarro world correspond to elements in the real world, albeit in some imperfect way. It is their approach to life that is opposite that of the real world.

pawe
10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
And somehow when they play us, even when they are horrible, we would have a hard time besting them, most times I would say it would be a Spurs loss.

True!
They are the anti Spurs. I almost always chalk it up as a loss already whenever the Spurs play them.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM

Technically, in the world of comics from which the term originates, I'm sure you are correct, although "exactly" opposite is impossible (eg. what is the exact opposite of gravity? Anti-gravity/repulsion).

I was using the term more generally and less comic-book-world accurately.

Not true. Read the reference you linked to. All of the elements in Bizarro world correspond to elements in the real world, albeit in some imperfect way. It is their approach to life that is opposite that of the real world.

Well played. :D :toast

Ignignokt
10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
RuffnReadyDoggystyle is like the bizarro gtown.

Gtown is a bad ass mowfucka, RuffnReadyOz is a cuck.

Gtown puts it in her butt when a bitch complains, RuffnReady goes down on her raw even without taking a shower.

Gtown keeps it on the up and up, RuffnReady keeps it on the down low.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-26-2010, 01:37 AM
And you just have to be a prick at every opportunity, don't you fucktard?

:rolleyes

thispego
10-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Consider the following:

(1) the Spurs are a small market team with a logo based around the theme of riding four-legged herbivores; the Bucks are a small market team with a logo that is a four-legged herbivore…

(2) the Spurs drafted a fantastic young point guard from France who helped to take the franchise to another level; the Bucks drafted a similarly impacting young point guard from Italy (kinda) who took their franchise to another level…

(3) the Spurs have a good-crazy swingman from Argentina who plays basketball like it's jazz music; the Bucks have an evil-crazy (and not quite as good) swingman from Argentina who plays basketball like it's speed metal - Delfino is Bizarro-Manu, you know it as well as I do…

(4) the Spurs are anchored by an old-school pivot-man with little in the way of leap, but a silky touch and an incredible feeling for the game; the Bucks are anchored by a similarly fundamental centre with great instincts*, only he plays in longish hair with the opposite hand and comes from the Antipodes…

(5) the Spurs have a cranky disciplinarian coach who is a genius at getting players to sublimate their egos and work together, as well as proven a proven ability to do it in one organisation for a long time; the Bucks have a cranky disciplinarian coach who is a genius at getting players to work together but they hate him for it and he generally gets fired within a few years…

and that's just for starters! :wow

The Bucks are the Bizarro-Spurs, or it certainly looks that way! I’m not entirely sure that they are evil though, in the same way that not everything that is bizarre is bad. After all, they are trying really hard to model their franchise on us by the looks of it, like most of the rest of the NBA. ;)

*and no, before you get your knickers in a twist I am NOT comparing the full careers of Duncan and Bogut, nor suggesting that they are even in the same ballpark at this point - I'm talking only about their impact on the court right now.

PS I once took basketball very seriously and heavily participated in the serious technical discussion on SpursTalk. Sometimes, I still enjoy that, especially in the game threads, but most of my contributions in the forum will probably be on the lighter side from now on. Why? I think because I take most of life so seriously that I need at least a few things I can treat lightheartedly. Hopefully, occasionally I'll write something that is amusing. :smokin

fruity post

please change your name brah

Agloco
10-26-2010, 11:31 AM

You weren't blinded by his bald spot were you? :lol

Sydney fucking Moncrief......rofl.