PDA

View Full Version : alternating QBs at a&m ?

rjv
10-25-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/aggies_tannehill_executes_debates_brewing_10565240 8.html

it was kansas but did the change to alternating QBs kickstart the offense? is this something we can expect to see for the rest of the season ?

Thompson
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
They shouldn't alternate - they should keep the switch to Tannehill. I like Jerrod, he seems like a great guy, but he's not the same this year since the surgery. He hasn't fully recovered or (as I read elsewhere) he may have reinjured it; either way, he shouldn't be playing, it's hurting him and the team.

Tannehill will be the quarterback as a senior next year anyway and he gives us a better shot to win now. He should have been subbed in for Jerrod during the Oklahoma State game, we might actually have pulled that one (and subsequent losses) out.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Disagree about subbing during the oklahoma state game--yes, everyone remembers Jerrod throwing the game-sealing pick, but conveniently forgets that he also led two clutch drives in the 4th quarter to tie it up in the first place. Not a good idea to switch horses midstream in that situation.

Jerrod starting the 2nd half against mizzou, however, was inexcusable. Obviously struggling, couldn't keep the O on the field--that should have been the time to put in RT. Either way, though, Tanny's got to get some legit PT under his belt at QB.

rjv
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM
i'm expecting them to alernate against tech this saturday

DesignatedT
10-25-2010, 02:39 PM
No doubt that Tannehill looked like the better QB last week. He throws a nice tight spiral and once he got in A groove started throwing some nice balls. Our offense is made for a pocket passer and jerrod isn't really one. At the end of the day though you have to remember that it was still Kansas. I expect Sherman to do the same type of game plan against Tech and if Tannehill still shows he can be the better QB than I think he takes over from there.

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Tannehill looked much more comfortable out there...oh what could have been. just make the change before t.u. game so we can stomp those ingrates.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
jerrod's overrated dick can probably stomp UT right now all by itself

johngateswhiteley
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
i don't know about that, jj & gilbert are putting on quite a show. obviously, jj is not right physically or mentally and its best for the team to sit him, no matter how difficult it may be.

LoneStarState'sPride
10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Tannehill looked much more comfortable out there...oh what could have been. just make the change before t.u. game so we can stomp those ingrates.

I'm more interested in shutting up baylor first. WAY too much shit talking coming out of wacko for a team that reached 6 wins for the first time in forever :lol

Winehole23
10-26-2010, 02:27 AM
jerrod's overrated dick can probably stomp UT right now all by itselfIt will have a chance to day after turkey day. It wouldn't surprise me to see that at all. He just passed Reggie McNeil's total yardage record.

Winehole23
10-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Tannehill's a pretty good WR. Is he really that much better at QB?

WTF happened to JJ's replacement, that a veteran now has to be plucked from the receiving corps to fill in at QB?

Sisk
10-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Tannehill's a pretty good WR. Is he really that much better at QB?

WTF happened to JJ's replacement, that a veteran now has to be plucked from the receiving corps to fill in at QB?

Tannehill was already the backup. He just played WR because he's great at it and JJ wasn't struggling last year.

Now that he is, Tannehill is looking like a damn good fit. Time will tell. Interesting to see what happens vs. Tech this weekend tbh

Winehole23
10-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Thx, Sisk. I'm obviously not Aggie guy.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Now Jerrod is starting to comment about the situation. Sure seems pretty bitter about it and this is exactly what I was worried about. If he is going to complain than start Tannehill and play him the whole game.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/aggies/Aggies_Johnson_admits_irritation_with_situation_10 5742383.html?c=y&page=1#storytop

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M quarterbacks Jerrod Johnson and Ryan Tannehill were asked on Monday if they knew coach Mike Sherman's plan heading into the Aggies' home game against Big 12 rival Texas Tech.

Their answers, given at different times, were the same — only with Johnson a bit more verbose.

“No clue,” Tannehill said.

“Absolutely no clue,” Johnson offered.

Sherman, too, kept his strategy tight to his vest, after playing both quarterbacks equally in last Saturday's 45-10 victory at Kansas. The Aggies (4-3, 1-2) had lost their three previous games behind Johnson, prompting Sherman to shake up things against the Jayhawks.

Now, based on the junior Tannehill outperforming the senior Johnson against KU, Sherman owns a full-blown quarterback controversy.

“What's the controversy?” Sherman countered Monday. “We have two good quarterbacks. The controversy is when you don't have a quarterback. There's absolutely, positively no friction.”

Johnson, the Big 12's offensive preseason player of the year who has been reduced to fighting for his job against Tannehill, wasn't as upbeat.

“If I told you I was happy with the way this season has gone, in more ways than one, I'd be lying to you,” Johnson said. “It's definitely frustrating, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. There's no point in complaining about it. I don't have any ill words for Coach Sherman or Ryan or anything.

“We're all great friends — it's just the business that we're in. ... I just have to adapt.”

For the first time, too, Johnson, alluded to the idea that his arm might not be 100 percent healthy. He had offseason shoulder surgery, and his passes have less velocity than those of Tannehill.

“If I choose to put myself out there, I'm fine, and I'm choosing to do that,” Johnson said, when asked about his arm. “If there was any harm to me as far as long term ... I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't be out there. So I'm fine.”

Johnson led the Aggies on three scoring drives before giving way to Tannehill at KU. Tannehill, in turning in a more efficient game, threw three TD passes and ran for another, as the duo, for the most part, alternated quarters.

“It was surprising,” Johnson said of the timing of his first removal. “Coach Sherman didn't really tell me exactly how (the plan to play both) was going to go. I thought I was moving the ball pretty well and that we were in a pretty good rhythm.”

Sherman said he didn't expect Johnson to be cheery about the shakeup.

“I would not want my quarterback to be happy about it, and I'm sure in his own way he wasn't,” Sherman said. “But he didn't display that on the sidelines. He was very supportive of Ryan.”

Asked if he expected to start Saturday against Tech, Johnson said, “I don't see why I wouldn't, but at the same time it's not up to me.”

Meanwhile, Tannehill will prepare as if he's starting against Tech (4-3, 2-3) — the program his father played for in the 1980s.

“We're just trying to win games,” Tannehill said of the quarterback situation.

As for the plan against the Red Raiders?

“There's really no need to get into that right now,” Sherman said. “We're going to need both quarterbacks.”

johngateswhiteley
10-26-2010, 06:27 PM
thats natural.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
sure it is but keep it to yourself. last thing we need is a split locker room because of this.

johngateswhiteley
10-26-2010, 06:31 PM
i'm not getting anything from the article that there would be.

DesignatedT
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
not yet

Blake
10-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Sherman is terrible. Keeping the QBs in the dark is not a good strategy imo.

Winehole23
11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Tactical advantage, maybe?

Make em prepare for both QBs by not saying which is the starter, even though it's obvious to anyone paying attention that Tannehill is the new starter? Something like that?

LoneStarState'sPride
11-01-2010, 12:34 AM
Sherman is terrible. Keeping the QBs in the dark is not a good strategy imo.

This. His handling of the situation has been abominable, at best. He's lucky that both JJ and Tanny are stand up guys who will keep their heads, because Sherman has been ridiculous through this entire season.

DesignatedT
11-01-2010, 11:49 AM
JJ shouldn't see the field anymore this season at the QB position. Tannehill looks a lot better out there.